Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 243132333435 LastLast

Thread: Christ's Commandments

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always important in understanding scripture to ask yourself first - who is being spoken to - and then what is the direction being given to them.
    For example - you don't see people building an ark today and preaching that God's judgement is coming in tho form of a flood (Most understand that was to one man for a specific time and purpose).
    Scripture seemed like a big, wrinkled, twisted mess to me, full of seeming contradictions, which really bothered me, but I trusted that God's Promise of HIS ability to protect His Word to us was true - and that if I kept searching - with a willing heart to understand, He would make it clear.
    Then I came across Matthew 10:5-7, after Jesus had called the 12 - He Commanded them - to "Go Not" to the Gentiles, nor the Samaritans - but Only to the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel preaching the Kingdom Of Heaven. This was a commandment that was never rescinded. Then in Acts 9:11-15 The Lord is sending Ananias to visit Saul, and tells him the Paul is the Chosen vessel to bear His name to the Gentiles. Not only these specific, different instructions - but the fact that in Matthew all 12 of Jesus's Apostles were called inside of the boarders of Israel - where Saul/Paul was called outside of Israel in Syria, on the road leading to Damascus! Big differences!
    In seeing the Commandment given to the 12 regarding WHO they were to be preaching to - I realized that what they wrote and taught - was not to gentiles. When we read in Luke 1:67-79 that when John the Baptist was born and his father talks of the one that John the Baptist will introduce - it is the One that will Save Israel according to the covenants.
    That prescription for Salvation expired once Jesus Christ had made the offer of the Kingdom to Israel and they rejected Him (Crucified) and then rejected Him again in the stoning of Stephen "We will NOT have this man to rule over us" and as Paul states, Israel has been "blinded for a time".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LisaAkita For Your Post:

Clete (March 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Christ's Commandments

1Pet 3:3-5 . . And let not your adornment be merely external-- braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses --but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.

Some of the more ascetic Christians have attempted to use that passage to insist it's wrong for women to wear cosmetics. An interpretation of that nature would mean putting on dresses is wrong too and thereby Christian women would be in danger of being arrested for indecent exposure whenever they went out. No, he's only reflecting an old Portuguese proverb that goes something like this: A beleza não ajusta a tabela. (Beauty doesn't set the table) which simply means a pretty girl might be amazing in the bedroom but quite useless as a homemaker.

Hollywood movies often portray "spirited" women as somehow desirable. No, they aren't desirable-- not to Christ anyway --they're feral, they attack men and make them miserable. Hollywood also commonly portrays women slapping men in the face and getting away with it. That is NOT what Peter means by a "gentle and quiet spirit" and besides, slapping is the criminal act of assault and battery-- not what I would call setting a good example for growing girls.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 5:3)

"Blessed are the peaceable: for they shall be known as God's kin." (Matt 5:9)

An assertive, confrontational woman is neither peaceable nor poor in spirit; no, in point of fact she's quite militant, obnoxious, chafing, critical, temperamental, impudent, and arrogant. Those might be desirable characteristics for strong females in television and movie roles but clearly not desirable in a Christian wife.

When a Christian wife gets all dressed up to her nines, but yet lacks a "gentle and quiet spirit" then her ensemble is incomplete. In point of fact, an assertive, confrontational wife is, in reality, nothing less than a barnyard animal.

"As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion." (Prov 11:22)

So then, by all means Christian women should continue to shop at Sephora, but at the same time make an effort to be agreeable too.

"That is the way the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They trusted God and were subordinate to their husbands. For instance: Sarah submitted to her husband, Abraham, when she called him her master. You are her daughters when you do what is right without fear of what your husbands might do." (1Pet 3:5-6)

Sarah, as you might recall, was a stunning girl not only in her youth, but even later on after menopause. But from what I gather from their association, Sarah's physical attributes are not why Abraham chose to live with her, and in point of fact, I really don't think Abraham paid all that much attention to Sarah's looks at all. No, Sarah was special in other ways; and even when she couldn't bear Abraham a child, he stuck with her; though in that day, he didn't have to.

What is it that a Christian wife might fear from her husband? Well, that's pretty easy. No doubt her biggest concern is that he might take advantage of her affable personality. Well, that's insufficient grounds to stop a Christian woman from being the kind of woman that Christ can approve. If it's any comfort; we're all in the same boat. People are naturally predatory, and can't help but take advantage of Christianity's good nature. What can I say: it comes with the turf.

"For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him." (Phil 1:29)
    _

Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,465 Times in 3,426 Posts

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post
    1Pet 3:3-5 . . And let not your adornment be merely external-- braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses --but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.

Some of the more ascetic Christians have attempted to use that passage to insist it's wrong for women to wear cosmetics. An interpretation of that nature would mean putting on dresses is wrong too and thereby Christian women would be in danger of being arrested for indecent exposure whenever they went out. No, he's only reflecting an old Portuguese proverb that goes something like this: A beleza não ajusta a tabela. (Beauty doesn't set the table) which simply means a pretty girl might be amazing in the bedroom but quite useless as a homemaker.

Hollywood movies often portray "spirited" women as somehow desirable. No, they aren't desirable-- not to Christ anyway --they're feral, they attack men and make them miserable. Hollywood also commonly portrays women slapping men in the face and getting away with it. That is NOT what Peter means by a "gentle and quiet spirit" and besides, slapping is the criminal act of assault and battery-- not what I would call setting a good example for growing girls.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 5:3)

"Blessed are the peaceable: for they shall be known as God's kin." (Matt 5:9)

An assertive, confrontational woman is neither peaceable nor poor in spirit; no, in point of fact she's quite militant, obnoxious, chafing, critical, temperamental, impudent, and arrogant. Those might be desirable characteristics for strong females in television and movie roles but clearly not desirable in a Christian wife.

When a Christian wife gets all dressed up to her nines, but yet lacks a "gentle and quiet spirit" then her ensemble is incomplete. In point of fact, an assertive, confrontational wife is, in reality, nothing less than a barnyard animal.

"As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion." (Prov 11:22)

So then, by all means Christian women should continue to shop at Sephora, but at the same time make an effort to be agreeable too.

"That is the way the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They trusted God and were subordinate to their husbands. For instance: Sarah submitted to her husband, Abraham, when she called him her master. You are her daughters when you do what is right without fear of what your husbands might do." (1Pet 3:5-6)

Sarah, as you might recall, was a stunning girl not only in her youth, but even later on after menopause. But from what I gather from their association, Sarah's physical attributes are not why Abraham chose to live with her, and in point of fact, I really don't think Abraham paid all that much attention to Sarah's looks at all. No, Sarah was special in other ways; and even when she couldn't bear Abraham a child, he stuck with her; though in that day, he didn't have to.

What is it that a Christian wife might fear from her husband? Well, that's pretty easy. No doubt her biggest concern is that he might take advantage of her affable personality. Well, that's insufficient grounds to stop a Christian woman from being the kind of woman that Christ can approve. If it's any comfort; we're all in the same boat. People are naturally predatory, and can't help but take advantage of Christianity's good nature. What can I say: it comes with the turf.

"For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him." (Phil 1:29)
    _
    No one here is interested in your preaching.

This is a debate forum. It's a place where people come to support and defend what they believe about God, the bible and other related things, not to give monologues that no one solicited nor cares to read.
    If you have no intention of engaging in a dialog just let me know and I'll go ahead and put you on ignore now and save myself the time of ever having to read another syllable of your almost entirely false doctrine.

"The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Christ's commands are those written with his own finger at Mount Sinai.

His commands were placed in an ark and form a covenant with his people.
    Correct ... God never breaks His covenants ... people do.

and that covenant is still in effect

Revelation 11

Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within his temple

Hebrews 8:2

a minister in the sanctuary and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sinai's commandments are for the religion of Judaism. When it comes to the religion of Christianity, the Lord's commandments are those written by the fingers of his apostles.

1Cor 14:37 . . If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

1Thess 4:1-2 . .We beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1Pet 3:7b . . Husbands honor the wife, as the weaker vessel

The koiné Greek word for "honor" is time (tee-may') which means: a value, i.e. money paid.

The word for "weaker" is asthenes (as-then-ace') which means: having no strength, i.e. fragile.

And the word for "vessel" is skeuos (skyoo'-os) which can indicate anything from a soup bowl to a file cabinet or a cardboard box; in other words: a container.

Peter isn't saying women are physically weaker than men; but that Christian husbands should exercise the same care with their wives as they would a fragile antique worth thousands of dollars like, say, a Ming vase. Nobody in their right mind handles a Ming vase like a farmer handles a 5-gallon bucket.

This Ming-vase value isn't an intrinsic value, nor is it a deserved value either; but rather, it's a gratuitous value. In other words: Christ commands Christian husbands to categorize their wives up there with Dresden china even if she's as tough as a female cop and/or a UFC mixed martial artist the likes of Rhonda Rousey-- and this is not a choice; no, it's not a choice; it's an order.

Christian husbands who treat their Skil saws and their tomato plants with more care and concern than they treat their wives can just forget about associating with God on any meaningful level.

"as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered." (1Pet 3:7c)

Note the word "together" which is quite the opposite of autonomy and/or independence.

Couples sometimes assert themselves with words like "What I do is between me and the Lord." No; not when you're married. Marriage changes everything between one's self and the Lord because people become one flesh in marriage: no longer two.
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1Pet 3:8a . . Finally, all of you be of one mind,

Peter’s not talking about the nerve center of a Borg-hive collective. The koiné Greek word for "one mind" is homophron (hom-of'-rone) which means: harmonious; and this is the only place in the entire New Testament where that word appears.

Webster’s defines "harmonious" as: 1) musically concordant, 2) having the parts agreeably related; viz: congruous, and 3) marked by accord in sentiment or action.

Peter's directive emphasizes the third element-- "marked by accord in sentiment or action". Head-strong Christians, domineering Christians, those for whom every disagreement is either an affront or an act of war to win at any cost-- those for whom the word diplomacy has no meaning --of course have trouble complying with 1Pet 3:8a; that is: if they even consider it worthy of their notice.
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1Pet 3:8b-9 . . having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous; not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing.

"compassion" is from the koiné Greek word sumpathes (soom-path-ace') which means: having a fellow-feeling; viz: sympathetic, i.e. (by implication) mutually commiserative.

One of the meanings of commiserate is condole: like when we share someone's grief at the passing of a loved one, or their job has been outsourced to cheap labor in India, or they've lost their entire retirement fund to an unscrupulous corporation like ENRON, or their life savings to a crooked Ponzi schemer like Bernie Madoff, or when there's news from their doctor they have to begin chemo-therapy for a recently detected advanced cancer, or when the car of a single mom with limited income needs expensive repairs. That is no time to be thoughtless. People in those predicaments are in sore need of condolences, and they are in no mood for philosophical platitudes.

The Greek word for "railing" is loidoria (loy-dor-ee'-ah) which means slander or vituperation; which Webster's defines as 1) to abuse or censure severely or abusively; viz: berate, and 2) to use harsh condemnatory language.

Rejoinders fall into that category; which are defined as a usually rude or angry reply to something written or said; viz: insensitive come-backs deliberately meant to hurt people's feelings; viz: tit for tat. That kind of behavior doesn't go unnoticed.
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1Pet 3:10-11 . . Let him who means to love life and see good days refrain his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking guile. And let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it.

Webster's defines guile as "duplicity" which is defined as: contradictory doubleness of thought, speech, or action; especially in the belying of one's true intentions by deceptive words or action; in other words, speaking with a forked tongue and/or saying one thing while meaning another.

You know, it's ironic; but if we were to take guile out of the political process, nobody would get elected. I simply cannot imagine an America with forthright politicians either in Congress, or the Senate, or the White House.

My father-in-law, who retired from Safeco Title as a senior vice president and general counsel, once remarked that advertising is the art of deception. You know what that says to me? It says that Madison Avenue's Mad Men really are mad after all.

FYI: To seek peace and pursue it is blessing-worthy.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." (Matt 5:9)

If it's true that only peaceable kinds of people qualify to wear the label "children of God" then the opposite is just as true: difficult Christians are unworthy of the distinction.
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1Pet 3:14a . . If you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed.

Peter isn't talking about one's religious beliefs per se, but about one's personal righteousness; in other words, one's personal conduct, and their convictions about what's right and what's wrong.

The koiné Greek word for "righteousness" in that passage is dikaiosune (dik-ah-yos-oo'-nay) which means: equity (of character or act). Webster's defines equity as: justice according to natural law or right; specifically freedom from bias or favoritism.

When Adam and his wife indulged in the forbidden fruit, they became their own Gods with their own opinions about what's right and what's wrong.

"And Yhvh God said: The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil." (Gen 3:22)

To give an idea of just how much this situation effects everyday life: the US Supreme Court not too long ago voted 5-4 on an important firearms issue. What does that tell me? It tells me that there are justices on that Court whose opinions are unrighteous because if the justices were all righteous, then the vote, whichever way it went, would have been unanimous.

The effects of humanistic righteousness are evident in mainstream Christianity too. Some time ago, a Presbyterian General Assembly voted whether or not to allow LGBT clergy. The measure passed by the slimmest of margins: 51%. What does that tell me? It tells me that fully half of that Presbyterian General Assembly is not listening to God because had they all been listening, the vote would have been unanimous one way or the other rather than two opposing opinions.

NOTE: There should be no question that LGBT clergy is wrong.

"He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the Devil's trap." (1Tim 3:7)

An LGBT Christian church elder would be seen by the world as a bona fide hypocrite; which can be roughly defined as somebody who should be standing for the Bible but at heart does not care to live by it. With a Christian church officer like that; it's reasonable to suspect that the congregation is compromised in other areas of faith and practices.
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1Pet 3:14b . . And do not fear their intimidation, nor be shaken,

Peer pressure, mob rule, cultural influences, group-think, survival, and customs are always at work seeking to manipulate people.

Take for example the current wave of suicide bombings and acts of terrorism perpetrated by Islamic extremists. In their own sick estimation, the murders and destruction of private property they cause are justifiable; but any unbiased person can easily see that what they are committing are crimes against humanity.

The extremists no doubt see themselves as martyrs and patriots, but the unbiased world only sees them as criminals; which, in the grand scheme of things; is exactly what they are. Meanwhile, the extremists are exerting peer pressure on peaceable Muslims all over the world to join their cause. When peaceable Muslims refuse, then they too become targets just as if they were devils rather than followers of Mohammad. In other words, the extremists are insinuating that unless Islamists commit murder and destruction of private property, they aren't true Muslims. That's a pretty extreme example of how peer pressure, mob rule, cultural influences, group-think, survival, and customs cause people to do unrighteous things.

In this current world, if you side with God in matters of right and wrong, you become a target for intimidation; which Webster's defines as: inducing fear and/or a sense of inferiority. Intimidation need not be a threat of violence to be effective. Peer pressure and ostracism are powerful tools of intimidation. Human beings are herd animals; we all want to fit in and belong. If you follow the herd, you will be accepted; but if you dare to buck the tide; you will find yourself unpopular in a very short time. It's ironic. Here in America we idolize the concept of rugged individuality. But the truth is; we despise people who do their own thinking; and Americans really despise individuals who dare to side with God.

I was reading an article in the newspaper recently that said in the past, it was wise for candidates for Federal office take sides with religion, but nowadays, in an increasingly irreligious American society, it's becoming best not to if they hope to win enough votes to get elected.
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1Pet 3:15a . . Dedicate your hearts to The Lord God

The koiné Greek word for "hearts" in that verse is from kardia (kar-dee'-ah); an ambiguous word that can mean the organ pumping blood throughout the body, the core of one's being, one's affections, one's basic nature, one's center, and/or one's thoughts and feelings,

Dedicating one's heart is sort of like setting it upon something, i.e. to have a strong (and sometimes inflexible) desire for something; for example:

"When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them: I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer." (Luke 22:14-15)

Within the context of 1Pet 3:10-16, dedicating one's heart to The Lord pertains to moral goodness with respect to how God feels about certain things, i.e. one's conscience.

It is first necessary to know what constitutes moral goodness in respect to how God feels about things; and in order to know, His followers have to get into the Bible.

"I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Rom 12:1-2)

"Solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." (Heb 5:14)

A training regimen, though it be the best, is quite useless unless people work at it on a regular basis. That's just common sense. For example: Yoga will improve your balance; but you've got to make Yoga a regular part of your life in order for it to work. A little Yoga here, and a little Yoga there, is not exactly the ideal way to go about it.
    _

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His commands were placed in an ark and form a covenant with his people.
    That must be a very difficult and confusing theological position for you to hold. I mean, if you think it was the finger of Jesus who inscribed the commandments written in stone, then you must believe in a Jesus who is confused or unsure about righteous moral principles. You believe in a God who changes his mind about what is righteous or unrighteousness.

In the Law of Stone, aka, the law of Moses....slavery, divorce and capital punishment for sin are righteous, but Jesus of the New Testament is recorded speaking against these things.
    Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,826 Times in 4,949 Posts

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
    That must be a very difficult and confusing theological position for you to hold. I mean, if you think it was the finger of Jesus who inscribed the commandments written in stone, then you must believe in a Jesus who is confused or unsure about righteous moral principles. You believe in a God who changes his mind about what is righteous or unrighteousness.

In the Law of Stone, aka, the law of Moses....slavery, divorce and capital punishment for sin are righteous, but Jesus of the New Testament is recorded speaking against these things.
    Please show where.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1Pet 3:15b . . Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you.

The koiné Greek word for "hope" in that passage, and in others (e.g. Rom 8:23-25) is elpis (el-pece') which means expectation; viz: elpis isn't wishful thinking, nor crossing your fingers; no, elpis is a confident kind of hope that looks forward to something, and fully expects to obtain it; ergo: elpis is an anticipating hope; viz: it doesn't pray for the best, while in the back of its mind dreading the worst.

When people aren't 110% sure what the afterlife has in store for them-- if there is even the slightest concern, or unease --they can't possibly comply with 1Pet 3:15b nor with Rom 12:12a for the simple reason that the hope that is in them, if any, is the wrong kind of hope.
    _

Thread Information