User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Christ's Commandments

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To find out which laws are written on the heart of a New Testament, Christian believer, watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L8Guc_24fc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to iouae For Your Post:

meshak (December 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Christ's Commandments

-
    Acts 15:20a . . Abstain from food tainted by idols,

Here's the text of a common Christian prayer.

"Bless us, Oh Lord, and these thy gifts which we are about to receive from thy bounty through Christ, Our Lord. Amen."

That prayer credits the providence of God and His son for the nourishment on the table. Well; in the old Roman world, they sometimes credited the providence of a pagan god for their nourishment. According to 1Cor 10:25-31; this is one of those don't ask situations.

Acts 15:20b . . Abstain from promiscuity

Promiscuity typically refers to things like adultery, incest, shacking up, one night stands, sleeping around, etc.

Acts 15:20c . . Abstain from the meat of strangled animals.

The meat of a strangled animal is different than that of a butchered animal. Though a strangled animal may be brain dead, it's flesh will be viable for a bit because the blood in its veins still has usable oxygen in it. This is why the new rules for CPR recommend concentrating on chest compressions first while delaying blowing air into somebody's lungs till a little later.

In essence what we're talking about here is eating living flesh versus ordinary raw flesh. The way I see it; Christians may eat all the raw, uncooked meat they want just so long as they are absolutely certain the meat is dead beyond recovery.

Acts 15:20d . . Abstain from blood

There are cultures that poke holes in cows' necks in order to drink blood straight out of the animal utilizing its own blood pressure like a tap to fill their cups. Other cultures cut open the thorax of animals freshly taken in hunting in order to take blood-soaked bites of the animal's heart. Those examples are probably about as close to vampirism as one can get without actually joining Edward Cullen's family and undergoing the conversion process.

/
    Last edited by WeberHome; December 23rd, 2017 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Rom 6:11 . . Count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

"dead to sin" in this case doesn't mean Christ's sheep don't sin (cf. 1John 1:8-10). It means that sin no longer has the power to create an impassible barrier between them and God like it did before. No; those days are over.

Heb 13:5 . . God has said: Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.

God promised Jacob pretty much the very same thing.

Gen 28:15 . . I am with you, and will watch over you, wherever you go; and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.

Rom 6:12 . . Do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to Him as instruments of righteousness.

Cain was given similar instructions.

"If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." (Gen 4:7)

/
    Last edited by WeberHome; December 24th, 2017 at 10:43 AM.

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,846 Times in 1,482 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    To find out which laws are written on the heart of a New Testament, Christian believer, watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L8Guc_24fc
    Yes, that's one of the basic principles.

But I did not watch the youtube.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to meshak For Your Post:

iouae (December 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Rom 12:1 . . Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Sacrifices are basically things dedicated to God; i.e. set aside for God's purposes and/or utilized in such a way as to make God proud instead of disappointed.

Rom 12:2 . . And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

I heard a story about some students in a seminary who prayed about an upcoming exam instead of cracking the books and burning the midnight oil. Apparently they were somehow under the impression that the information they needed for the exam would somehow drift up out of the duck feathers where God had it stored in their pillows and be miraculously absorbed by the gray cells in their brains-- and this while they were fast asleep. Long story short; they all got an F on their exams; not because the professor despised their laziness; no, because they simply didn't know the answers.

Moral of the story is: in order to "renew your mind" and to "prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God" one must take the initiative to knuckle down and learn The Lord's wishes; viz: study the Bible via either reading, sermons, Sunday school classes, seminars, lectures, and/or radio programs like Thru The Bible and Back To The Bible, et al. This stipulation is not optional by the way, no; it's one of The Lord's many commandments; and I'm pretty sure he expects it to be obeyed by people loyal to his regime.

/
    Last edited by WeberHome; December 24th, 2017 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Rom 12:3 . . Be honest in your estimate of yourselves, measuring your value by how much faith God has given you.

Christians of little faith have little value; while Christians of great faith have great value; but should be careful not to let their great value go to their heads; if you know what I mean.

Rom 12:6 . . If God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out when you have faith that God is speaking through you.

The koiné Greek word for "prophesy" in that verse is from propheteia (prof ay-ti'-ah) which encompasses predictions. Predictors were common in the early church; for example Agabus' predictions at Acts 11:27-28 and Acts 21:10-11.

Hunches don't count as God speaking through you. You have to really know it. Don't ask me how to really know it because I don't have the gift.

Rom 12:7a . . If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well.

"serving well" implies serving conscientiously and whole-heartedly rather than half-baked and/or hit and miss.

One of my brothers has been a construction foreman for decades and one of his perpetual complaints is that he never knows from one day to the next whether some of the men he hires on jobs will show up. In other words: they aren't reliable-- he can't count on them. What I'm saying is: if you're thinking about becoming helpful in some way, don't do it unless you're willing to commit to the long haul because people need to know that they can depend on you to stay the course.

/
    Last edited by WeberHome; December 23rd, 2017 at 09:41 PM.

BANNED
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why you listen to Apostles and not to Christ.
    That's the case with many, many churches.

right on, brother.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meshak For Your Post:

iouae (December 14th, 2017),marhig (December 26th, 2017)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Rom 12:7b . . If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching.

I had a Sunday school teacher once who worked as a maintenance man in a public swimming facility. One Saturday he had to work very late repairing some equipment at the pool and had no time to prepare his lesson plan for Sunday morning so he just threw something together. It stunk; and my wife and I got nothing out of it.

In contrast, I once knew a pastor who took all week long to prepare his Sunday morning sermons; rather than just Saturday night. Now there was a guy who knew what it means to "do a good job of teaching".

Rom 12:8a . . If your gift is to encourage others, then do so.

You know who really benefits from encouragement in a big way? Little kids. Thoughtless grown-ups can break a growing child's fragile spirit by criticizing them all the time and never once giving them an "atta boy" or a single vote of confidence. A fitting word spoken at just the right moment can really beef up somebody's resolve to meet life head on. If you're good at that sort of thing, then watch for opportunities among your fellow Christians to do so.

NOTE: The kind of encouragement about which that passage speaks is just as much, and just as valuable, as any of the other spiritual gifts, e.g. speaking in tongues, translating tongues, miracles, teaching, healing, faith, evangelism, and prophecy etc.

Rom 12:8b . . If you have money, share it generously.

There are some people barely making ends meet who nevertheless make an effort to include charities in their budgets, while others loaded with dough are misers in that they only give what they have to and nothing more. The "extra mile" is foreign to their concept of what it means to be generous.

/
    Last edited by WeberHome; December 23rd, 2017 at 09:43 PM.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The messiah whose true name is Yehowshuwa said the greatest commandment is to love his father Yehowah with all your heart mind and soul.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truth- For Your Post:

marhig (December 26th, 2017),meshak (December 16th, 2017)

BANNED
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth- View Post
    The messiah whose true name is Yehowshuwa said the greatest commandment is to love his father Yehowah with all your heart mind and soul.

yes.

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,101 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two commands. The law of the Spirit is indeed held up through adherence of those two commands which really are one and the same. Others have alluded to it; Love GOD.

To love is to be faithful to. If one loves GOD then they love to do the will of GOD in silence. If one loves the One Creator and Lord and GOD over all, then they will, as a nessesity, also love creation; again; silently doing the will of GOD in their own life which does include outward works, by which we are to be judged by man here and now.

peace

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Rom 12:8c . . If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously.

A natural aptitude for church management doesn't count. It has to be God-given; i.e. a legitimate Spirit-endowed ability (cf. Rom 12:3-8, 1Cor 12:4-11, 1Cor 12:27-30). There are far too many people sitting on church boards merely because they're a success in business. Well; if your church is a business; then maybe you should think about finding another one.

Rom 12:8d . . If you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.

That would probably correspond to incidents like the one depicted in the parable of the man attacked by road agents in Luke 10:30-36. In that instance, a passerby had the skills and the wherewithal to provide care for a total stranger in need. Personally, I'm not much at first aid and/or emergency medical services. But what we're getting at here is that should you find yourself in circumstances where you can be of genuine, effective assistance; don't lend a hand grudging. It ought to make Christians happy to be of assistance instead of getting irritated and grumpy about an unexpected inconvenience.

A solo Pacific Crest Trail hiker named Cheryl Strayed, in her book WILD, recounts an evening wherein she was very low on funds and having no luck locating a suitable place in the woods to set up her tent before it got really dark. Cheryl found her way into a fee campground and set up at the extreme end of the facility where she thought no one would mind; but later that night the caretakers came by and, in a not-so-friendly tone, insisted that she either pay the $12 fee or break camp and leave. The Christian thing to do would have been to pay the fee for her instead of forcing a woman to wander out into the pitch black forest all alone at night.

NOTE: Knowing Cheryl from her book, I've no doubt she would have gladly given the caretakers an I.O.U. and paid them back.

/
    Last edited by WeberHome; December 23rd, 2017 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Rom 12:9a . . Don't just pretend that you love others.

Webster's defines "pretense" as fiction, make-believe, and/or simulation. Ironically, pretense is foundational to ordinary civility and common courtesy. But when it comes to love; Christians should never put on a front. In other words: don't lead someone on to believe you care for them when in reality you don't. That's not only dishonest; it's cruel.

Rom 12:9b . . Hate what is evil.

Hating evil is second nature to God-fearing people; or at least it should be.

"You who love Yhvh: hate evil." (Ps 97:10)

"In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil." (Job 1:1)

"The fear of The Lord is to hate evil. Pride and arrogance and the evil way, and the perverted mouth, I hate." (Prv 8:13)

/
    Last edited by WeberHome; December 23rd, 2017 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Rom 12:9c . . Stand on the side of the good.

Christian CEOs on the boards of multi-national corporations have my sympathy. Good luck complying with the above.

I recently watched a very interesting documentary on NetFlix that analyzed corporations; and they found that corporations, as a personality, typically exhibit all five of the psychopathic behaviors listed below.

• Callous unconcern for the feelings of others.

• Incapacity to maintain enduring relationships.

• Reckless disregard for the safety of others.

• Deceit and dissembling; viz: repeated lying, suppressing information, stretching the truth, and conning others for profit.

• Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors.

One of corporate America's more shameful management practices is the exploitation of foreign poverty, cheap labor, defenseless employees, minimal safety requirements, and hardly any environmental regulations in order to keep costs down and the bottom lines of quarterly reports up. It's all about profits with corporations; while the human suffering exploited to obtain them is collateral damage, so to speak; and nowhere has that been more prevalent than the manufacture of textiles and garments.

Rom 12:10a . . Love each other with genuine affection

Real affection is easy to imitate, but not so easy to duplicate. Going through the motions, is just not the same as feeling the feelings.

Rom 12:10b . . Honor others over yourselves.

Most alpha achievers would have trouble with that one. I mean; why be a winner if not to feel superior to everyone else and accumulate bragging rights and accolades? The alpha achiever's motto is: It's not enough to succeed: everyone else must fail.

Feelings of value are important to everyone's sense of well being, but the alpha achiever feels only himself to be of any real value; in his mind's eye, those "below" him are of little worth, i.e. expendable and/or a dime a dozen. (cf. Est 6:6, Matt 27:26, Mark 12:38 39, and 3John9)

/
    Last edited by WeberHome; December 23rd, 2017 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Rom 12:11 . . Never be halfhearted in your work, but serve The Lord enthusiastically.

Webster's defines 'halfhearted" as feeling or showing a lack of interest. The koinë Greek word for "work" is spoude (spoo-day') which refers to movement in regards to speed; i.e. velocity. In other words; that verse is talking about dragging one's feet rather than shaking a leg; i.e. getting with the program and expediting whatever it is you're assigned to do.

A really good role model in this regard is Isaac's wife Rebecca; a most energetic chore girl. (Gen 24:10-20)

Rom 12:12a . . Be glad for all God is planning for you.

Christians unsure of their afterlife destination cannot, in all honesty and a good conscience, comply with that command,

/
    Last edited by WeberHome; December 23rd, 2017 at 09:46 PM.

Thread Information