Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Christ's Commandments

-
    Eph 6:1 . . Children, obey your parents in The Lord, for this is right.

The primary reason given for children obeying their parents is simply that it's the right thing to do.

There's a lot of grown-ups out there who have problems with authority; and those problems began very early, right in their own homes. They were demon seeds who refused to accept their parents as superiors; and they themselves as subordinates.

The parents of the command are "in The Lord" in other words, this rule doesn't pertain to kids with secular parents; which is a good loop hole because there may come times for kids to disobey their parents out of loyalty to a higher power. (cf. Matt 4:10, Matt 10:37)

The koiné Greek word for "obey" in that verse is interesting. It's hupakouo (hoop-ak-oo'-o) which means to pay attention; viz: to heed; to mind.

Not only is minding one's parents the right thing to do, but minding has its benefits.
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:2-3 . . Honor your father and mother-- which is the first commandment with a promise --that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.

The koiné Greek word for "honor" in Eph 6:2 is timao (tim-ah'-o) which means: to prize; viz: to fix a valuation upon; to revere. The very same word is used at Matt 15:4-6 where Jesus related the fifth commandment to caring for one's dependent parents.

Incidentally, have you noticed how little respect parents get from their insolent progeny in modern television sit-coms, Hollywood movies, and advertising? It's a reflection of modern American culture's attitude towards doing what's right. Kids today are encouraged to do what's wrong in their homes instead of doing what's right. Modern entertainment trains children how to be demonic instead of divine.

Kids that mind and respect their parents are usually much the happier for it. The ones that fight with their parents typically end up living in a home from hell; and though they may live long and prosper, life will not go well with them, nor will they enjoy it as they might have.

As kids get older, especially here in tech-savvy America, they tend to regard their parents as dunces. That is a fatal error. The Lord's kids have got to be on guard against that attitude; not only because it's wrong, but also because it hurts parents deeply to be treated as morons by their own flesh and blood. Impudent children just won't understand how deeply it hurts until they become parents themselves; but by that time; it's too late and the damage wrought is permanent.

FYI: Webster's defines "impudent" as: marked by contemptuous or cocky boldness or disregard of others; viz: insolent. In other words: an impudent child is a sociopath.

Let me caution The Lord's kids about something. The one thing you don't want to do in this life is accumulate an archive of regrets because as sure as you're reading this line, those regrets will haunt you in later years and rob you of peace of mind; and one of those ugly little robbers is cruelty. Never be cruel to your "in The Lord" parents. It will cost you. Here's a brief list of cruelties to avoid:

Thoughtless remarks, demeaning comments, ridicule, sarcasm, sneering, scorn, wiseacre retorts, toxic rejoinders, mockery, fault finding, and name calling. Consider those a starter kit.

BTW: Regardless of a believer's age-- whether a child or an adult --it is required that they love their "in The Lord" parents, not as themselves, but as Christ loves them (John 15:12). Why? Because a believing child's believing parents are fellow lambs and siblings in Christ's sheepfold; that's why. So then, Christ's directive to love the other lambs as he himself loves them applies to one's "in The Lord" parents too.

Q: If a Jewish child accepted Christ as the Messiah, against the wishes of his Jewish parents, wouldn't that be breaking of the fifth commandment?

A: I seriously doubt the fifth commandment was intended to prevent one's children from making their own decisions. If it did, then where would it end? Would it grant a domineering Jewish mother carte blanch to dictate every facet of her offspring's life including their spouse, their career, their clothing, their friends, the city they live in, the food they eat, their vote, their political party, the length of their hair, even how they raise their own kids? In short, a carte blanch interpretation of that commandment would rob one's progeny of not only their individuality; but also their own personal responsibility.

Q: You really don't think it's disrespectful for a Jewish child to reject their parents' religion?

A: No, that would be disrespect for the parents' religion, not disrespect for the parents. To my knowledge there are no divine commandments requiring children to either accept or adopt their parents' core values.

One's attitude towards their parents and how they treat them is the issue. How anyone can come to the conclusion the fifth commandment somehow grants parents the powers of tyranny, mind control, and despotism is beyond me.

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matt 10:34-37)

Christ drew a line in the dirt with that statement: in other words, who will you serve? . . . me or your parents? Nobody's parents, whether Jewish or Christian, have the right to demand a child's loyalty over and above their loyalty to God.

"Thou shalt love The Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength." (Mark 12:30, Deut 10:12-13)

"We must obey God rather than men." (Acts 5:29)

If a conscientious Jewish child sincerely believes their parents' religion is wrong, then they have a duty to God and conscience to break with Judaism. I'm not saying they should break with the covenant that Yhvh's people agreed upon with God as per Deut 29:9-15. No; that's a horse of another color.

Those very same principles all apply to Christian denominations. For example: if a child should come to a realization one day that his parents' Roman Catholicism is a doctored version of Christianity, then he has a duty to God and conscience to seek spiritual guidance elsewhere.

"Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." (Rom 14:5)
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:4 . . Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of The Lord.

We're not talking about religious training here-- the focus is upon a daddy's parenting style. Despotism, tyranny, and unfairness are not The Lord's way of raising kids; but rather; his way is the manner of a shepherd; and "good" shepherds aren't cruel to their flocks.

Maybe you don't burn your kids with cigarettes, pour Tabasco sauce in their eyes, or lock them in a hall closet without food and water for two days; but do you ignore their opinions, demean them with denigrating labels, ridicule them, threaten their lives, work them as slaves without compensation, deny them things just so you won't appear to indulge them, and/or say "no" to their requests for no good reason than that you don't want to seem weak and under their control? Do you routinely abuse their human rights, and/or relegate them to the level of livestock rather than bona fide human beings with feelings and a mind of their own? Do you nurture within them a feeling of importance, of belonging in your home, or do you make them feel like an invasive species and/or an uninvited guest? Kids pick up on things like that.

But aren't there moms out there exasperating their kids? Of course! Mothers can be just as tyrannical, despotic, and unfair as dads.

I believe it is a Spirit-filled dad's sacred filial duty to defend his children from their own mother's abuses should the need arise. Not many dads are willing to do that because it means risking having the wife turn against him; so quite a few dads opt to sacrifice the children in order to keep momma happy. In my opinion, throwing one's own children to the wolves in order to avoid living in the same house with a moody woman has to be one of the worst possible sins a man can ever commit in his own home. It's just downright cowardly; and tells the kids they can't trust the one man in the whole world upon whom they should be able to rely in times of distress.

FYI: The Bible predicts that towards the end, parents will become callous with their babies.

"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For people shall be . . .without natural affection" ( 2Tim 3:1-3)

The koiné Greek word for "without natural affection" is astorgos (as'-tor-gos) which means: hard-hearted towards kindred.
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:5-6 . . Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.

The koiné Greek word for "slaves" is doulos (doo'-los) which is an ambiguous word that can mean slaves by voluntary or involuntary means. The first would be something like an indentured slave; which Webster's defines as a contract binding one person to work for another for a given period of time. Jacob is a good biblical example of indentured slavery. He sold fourteen years of his life to uncle Laban in exchange for Rachel's hand in marriage. (Gen 29:18, Gen 29:27)

The practical application applies to giving one's employer an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. But pay is not really the primary issue. Subordination is the primary issue, and has been in this epistle since 5:21. Believers may not like the idea, but they are not independent agents with Christ; no, he owns you: bought and paid for as flesh on the line.

"You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." (1Cor 6:19-20)

So then, a Spirit-filled employee will serve workplace employers with a conscientious regard for their indentured-slavery status with Christ; which is really difficult for American believers because their country has such an abhorrence for slavery and such a high regard for freedom, revolution, and independence. But though believers are slaves to Christ, they are not slaves to a slave driver. Note the gentle demeanor of the request below.

"Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matt 11:28-30)

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice-- holy, acceptable to God --which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (Rom 12:1-2).

I once worked with two Christian men in a welding shop who demanded a sit-down with the superintendent to air some grievances. I took it upon myself to remind them that Peter directed Christians to endure what they thought of as unfair treatment from employers (1Pet 2:18-25). Well, they ignored both me and Peter because they felt insulted to be treated like children by management and wouldn't rest until they told them so.

What you have there is a case of rabid male pride overruling The Lord's wishes. Not good. Peter was given the keys of the kingdom (Matt 16:19). If Christians believe that to be true, then for them, scorning Peter is all the same as their scorning Christ-- it's a domino effect all the way to the top.

"Whoever listens to you; listens to me. Whoever rejects you; rejects me. And whoever rejects me; rejects the one who sent me." (Luke 10:16)
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:7-8 . . Slaves, serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving The Lord instead of men.

If believers wish to hear The Lord say "Well done thou good and faithful servant" then fighting with management is simply out of the question. No, don't fight, instead: bite the bullet.

"For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake." (Phil 1:29)

"Servants, be submissive to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the harsh. For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God one endures grief, suffering wrongfully. For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God.

. . . For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth; who, when He was reviled, did not reciprocate; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously." (1Pet 2:18-24)

Now there's a good, practical application of turning the other cheek.
    _

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WeberHome For Your Post:

popsthebuilder (May 13th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:9a . . And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven,

The "masters" in that verse are limited to believing masters, not the world's.

If there is one political maxim that seems to ring true in every generation, it's that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's in the human heart to abuse authority and to oppress and exploit people rather than manage them to everyone's advantage.

Believing masters, and believing slaves, are siblings in God's family. Therefore, Christ's law is to be exemplified by both the slave and by his master.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:12-13)

In other words; if it's required to lay down one's life for one's Bible-believing Christian brothers; is it too much to ask to swallow one's pride?

A slave master willing to sacrifice his life to protect his slaves would be a very unusual master; but that is the very attitude of a Spirit-filled master towards his believing slaves; and should be the attitude of a Spirit-filled supervisor towards his believing employees: which is the attitude of a good shepherd rather than that of a self-serving predator.

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

. . . But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep." (John 10:10-13)

Eph 6:9b . . and there is no favoritism with him.

The believing master's rank doesn't mitigate his accountability. No, he has no advantage over the believing slave. Both must give an accounting of themselves, and neither the master nor the slave will be given the slightest preferential treatment. No, they will be recompensed on the merits of their faithfulness; rather than their positions.
    _

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WeberHome For Your Post:

popsthebuilder (May 13th, 2018)

BANNED
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You kinda' got the whole thread to yourself dontcha'.

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,101 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only kinda.

Don't you have other more engaging topics to respond to?

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by popsthebuilder; May 14th, 2018 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Quote Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
    You're welcome to stay here if you like. Christ's commands pertain to all Christians all over the world regardless of denominational affiliation; both Catholic and non Catholic.

I only ask that you not provoke people with flaming remarks like the one quoted above, nor start quarrels and/or off-topic discussions. That ruins perfectly good threads faster than anything.

If it is your intention to derail this thread, you'll probably succeed; but it would be nice if you went away instead and left us in peace.
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:10 . . Finally, be strong in The Lord, and in His mighty power.

The strength mandated there is the nature of combat readiness. When I was serving in the US Army back in the early 1960's, the term "up to strength" meant our unit had a full complement of soldiers ready for war with their weapons, their clothing, their munitions, their training, and their equipment.

But soldiers are not supposed to be mercenaries; no, they go to war under the authority and control of the country they serve. And soldiers pick neither their battles nor their theater of operations; no, superiors pick the battles and the theaters; and when they do so, the full power of their country is behind them, and its resources are at their disposal.

When Joshua was commissioned by God to conquer Canaan, Israel's commander-in-chief wasn't left to his own devices; no, at his disposal was the arsenal and counsel of Yhvh-- a source of intelligence and supernatural powers against which Joshua's enemies had absolutely no defense.

Every believer is a soldier in a war, and there's no neutral ground: you're either fighting with The Lord or you're fighting against The Lord because there's no such thing as conscientious objection in this conflict.

"He that is not with me is against me" (Matt 12:30)
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:11 . . Wear the full armor of God; so that you may stand against the Devil's tactics.

It's difficult to tell whether these wartime instructions pertain to individuals, to a whole church as if it's an individual, or to just church officers.

Joshua's operations were essentially offensive. He was commissioned to conquer and to colonize; but in the Christian's war, the operations are essentially defensive; viz: they're required to hold their ground rather than attack, i.e. to survive.

Why is this situation? Because according to Matt 28:18-20, his followers' mission is to recruit and indoctrinate-- not conquer and colonize as if we were supposed to be building Christ's kingdom on earth. No, forget that. Christ's followers are sojourners and pilgrims rather than colonizers. (1Pet 2:11)

Webster's defines a sojourner as a temporary resident.

A pilgrim is defined as one who journeys in foreign lands; viz: a wayfarer
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:13 . .Therefore take up the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

That's a call to arms if ever there was one. Christians are sort of like Minutemen; ready to fight and defend on a moment's notice.

The "full armor of God" includes not only body protection, but also any and all weapons as assigned (e.g. Luke 11:22). And the directive here is to have it all with you all the time, not just some of the time. Carelessness is just an open invitation to defeat by means of a sudden, surprise attack.

Eph 6:14a . . Hold fast therefore, having girded your waist with truth

Holding fast essentially means the same as standing your ground, i.e. perseverance.

Men in that day usually didn't wear pants. They typically wore some type of skirt; which, if of the Bedouin variety, was a bit cumbersome and made it difficult to maneuver. So when it came time for activities like say running, climbing, building homes, or digging ditches, they would pull the lower ends of their skirt up around their waste and hold them in place with a belt; thus giving themselves a little more leg room.

Webster's defines "truth" as the real facts about something. Anybody who's been on Christian internet forums for any length of time is aware that there are many facts floating around out in cyberspace that well-meaning people sincerely believe are the real facts; and they are constantly arguing amongst themselves trying to prove that their facts are the real facts and the other guys facts are fiction.

Well; they can't all be girded with the real facts so I think it's safe to assume that a percentage of Christians out there are girded with fake facts; and they don't know it. Of course everybody thinks it's always the other guy who's got it wrong because it is unimaginable to suspect that we ourselves might be the ones with a head full of baloney; which is at least one of the reasons why I encourage the practice of courtesy, patience, and tolerance just in case the hapless day should arrive that we are forced to eat our words.

It ain't what you know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    (Mark Twain)
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:14b . . having on the breastplate of righteousness

The obvious parallel here is a flak jacket; which won't always stop a high powered rifle bullet, but is pretty effective against secondary missiles, grenade fragments, and small arms like pistols, knives, spears, swords, and archery.

I would have to say that the righteousness in this passage pertains to one's personal conduct rather than the imputed righteousness a believer obtains by means of Jesus' crucifixion. So then; in order to be strong in The Lord's mighty power; a believer has to be in fellowship with God; and His fellowship is not obtainable by those whose conduct is unbecoming.

"This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth." (1John 1:5-7)

Joshua found out the hard way that personal righteousness is essential in order to keep The Lord on your side. His men attacked a little community called Ai (Josh 7:2-12) and lost big because their conduct was curse-worthy rather than victory-worthy.

It's essential that a soldier serve with honor because in spite of all his combat readiness and/or his courage under fire, that man will find himself in front of a courts martial looking at the business end of the rifle barrel of military justice instead of serving his country on the battlefield if he doesn't toe the mark and keep his nose clean. And a soldier in the stockade is one less soldier in action.

"In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work." (2Tim 2:20-21)
    _

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:15 . . and with your feet shod with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

One's feet can be likened to the foundation of a building; i.e. just as the foundation of a building holds it all up and in place; so one's entire body is held up by its feet. Most foundations are protected from damage by their location underground and most people's feet are protected by footwear of some kind.

The Christian faith is primarily based upon the gospel as per Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. When Christians have only a cursory knowledge and/or understanding of those four aspects, then their faith is vulnerable to destruction.

"He is the one who gave these gifts to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. Their responsibility is to equip God's people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ, until we come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God's Son that we will be mature and full grown in the Lord, measuring up to the full stature of Christ.

. . .Then we will no longer be like children, forever changing our minds about what we believe because someone has told us something different or because someone has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth. (Eph 4:11-14)
    _
    Last edited by WeberHome; May 19th, 2018 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    Eph 6:16 . . In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.

The koiné Greek word for "extinguish" is sbennumi (sben'-noo-mee) which means primarily to quench. The same word is used at Heb 11:34 in regard to the three Hebrew lads in Daniel 3:19-27. The angel that was dispatched to protect Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego didn't actually snuff out the fiery furnace, but rather, prevented its flames from burning the boys: in other words, faith is a protective barrier; i.e. insulation.

Let me ask you something. Is your faith in Christ built upon logic alone, or is it built upon a blend of logic and intuition? In other words: is it only academic? Well; let me tell you something, there had better be an element of intuition somewhere in your faith because logic can be easily dismantled while feelings are not easily dispelled no matter how much clever logic is thrown at them.

I've been asked several times in the past how I know that my beliefs are true. My answer is: I don't know if they're true. Then of course they follow up with: Then why do you believe your beliefs are true when you have no way of knowing they're true?

Most of the people who ask me those kinds of questions are genuine: they're not trying to trip me up and make a fool out of me. They really are curious about it. So I tell them that though I don't know if my beliefs are true; my intuition insists they are.

Faith is believin' what you know ain't so.
    (Mark Twain)

Apparently the influence that one's intuition has upon their faith is normal because the Bible says that in order to be saved by faith in Christ's resurrection; one must believe not in their head but in their heart. Well; my head says that his resurrection is questionable; but my gut says it's 100% true. In other words; I believe with my heart rather than only my intellect.

Below is an example of what I'm talking about.

"If you believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be spared. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified." (Rom 10:9-10)

Interesting isn't it? And yet Christians all over the world resolutely deny the role that feelings play in their system of beliefs. Well, they've got a problem; because if they are only believing in Christ's resurrection with their intellect sans any gut input whatsoever; then they are just as surely lost as if they were an atheist. And as for having faith as a shield? Forget it. Not happening.

People whose faith includes an element of feelings instead of logic alone are nigh bullet proof. No matter if someone were to prove beyond a shadow of any sensible doubt that there never was a Jesus who died and came back from the dead; the person whose faith is reinforced by their gut is unshakable because it's like they say: "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still." Lot of truth in that.

"The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. (Matt 13:20-21)

That man has no root because his intellect is insufficient to hold him in Christ. No, a man's IQ is shallow ground indeed. The best ground is the human will; which isn't located in a man's head; it's located in his heart; the very core of his being, so to speak. The human will is easily strong enough to defy reason, and often does.
    _

Thread Information