User Tag List

Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 333

Thread: Christ's Commandments

  1. #1
    Over 1000 post club WeberHome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,035
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 71 Posts

    Blog Entries
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    20969

    Post Christ's Commandments

    -
    John 14:21 . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.

    God's commands as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are covenanted commands, i.e. contractual. Christ's followers are not contracted with God to comply with those particular commands; and lucky them because Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69 specify a large number of curses for non compliance.

    Deut 27:26 . . Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out.

    Note the grammatical tense of that curse; it's present tense rather than future, indicating that the very moment a Jew breaks one of the covenanted commands he racks up a curse upon himself-- no delay and no waiting period; for example:

    Lev 19:11 . . You shall not deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

    Every time a Jew is dishonest, he accrues a curse; for each offense. Lets say a Jew is dishonest ten times in a week. Well according to the covenant, his ten counts of dishonesty accrue ten curses; and those curses are contractual, i.e. God is obligated by the covenant to fulfil them lest He himself fall into breach of contract. Obviously then, serial dishonesty is pretty serious for people contracted with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

    Ergo: I do not recommend converting to Judaism lest one find themselves under a sword of Damocles hanging by a slender thread easily broken by just one lie.

    /

  2. #2
    Over 2500 post club iouae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,905
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 216 Times in 187 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    110420
    Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post
    -
    John 14:21 . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.

    /
    There are 1050 NT commands which one can find at ....
    https://www.cai.org/bible-studies/10...ament-commands

  3. #3
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,010
    Thanks
    1,460
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,158 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    326881
    Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post
    John 14:21 . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.
    Christ's commands are those written with his own finger at Mount Sinai.

    His commands were placed in an ark and form a covenant with his people.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to jamie For Your Post:

    JonahofAkron (August 11th, 2018)

  5. #4
    Over 1000 post club WeberHome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,035
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 71 Posts

    Blog Entries
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    20969

    Post

    -
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    There are 1050 NT commands which one can find at ....
    https://www.cai.org/bible-studies/10...ament-commands
    This thread isn't about New Testament commands per se. It's about commands in the New Testament specifically pertinent to Christ's followers; not all are.

    /

  6. #5
    Over 2500 post club iouae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,905
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 216 Times in 187 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    110420
    Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post
    -


    This thread isn't about New Testament commands per se. It's about commands in the New Testament specifically pertinent to Christ's followers; not all are.
    That's news to me. Please give the rule for deciding which of the 1050 one needs to keep.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to iouae For Your Post:

    meshak (December 6th, 2017)

  8. #6
    Over 1000 post club WeberHome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,035
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 71 Posts

    Blog Entries
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    20969

    Post Re: Christ's Commandments

    -
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    Please give the rule for deciding which of the 1050 one needs to keep.
    You can take a lot of the guess work out of this by simply letting the following be your guide.

    1Thess 4:1-2 . .We beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by The Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. For ye know what commandments we gave you by The Lord Jesus.

    "commandments we gave you by The Lord Jesus" begin at Acts 15:19-20. From thence you'll encounter upwards of five hundred by the time you get to the end of Revelation; which is considerably less than a thousand and fifty.

    /

  9. #7
    Over 2500 post club iouae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,905
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 216 Times in 187 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    110420
    Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post
    -


    You can take a lot of the guess work out of this by simply letting the following be your guide.

    1Thess 4:1-2 . .We beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by The Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. For ye know what commandments we gave you by The Lord Jesus.

    "commandments we gave you by The Lord Jesus" begin at Acts 15:19-20. From thence you'll encounter upwards of five hundred by the time you get to the end of Revelation; which is considerably less than a thousand and fifty.

    /
    What about the commands Christ gave in the Gospels?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to iouae For Your Post:

    meshak (December 6th, 2017)

  11. #8
    Over 1000 post club WeberHome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,035
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 71 Posts

    Blog Entries
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    20969

    Post Re: Christ's Commandments

    -
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    What about the commands Christ gave in the Gospels?
    Which ones did you have in mind?

    /

  12. #9
    Over 2500 post club iouae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,905
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 216 Times in 187 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    110420
    Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post
    -


    Which ones did you have in mind?

    The 1050 such as having food and raiment, be therewith content,

  13. #10
    Over 1000 post club WeberHome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,035
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 71 Posts

    Blog Entries
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    20969

    Post Re: Christ's Commandments

    -
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    having food and raiment, be therewith content,
    1Tim 6:8 isn't among the commands Christ gave in the Gospels; it's in the epistles.

    /

  14. #11
    Over 2500 post club iouae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,905
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 216 Times in 187 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    110420
    Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post
    -


    1Tim 6:8 isn't among the commands Christ gave in the Gospels; it's in the epistles.

    /
    You got me there.

    What about this...
    Mat 5:44
    But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

    You previously wrote...
    ""commandments we gave you by The Lord Jesus" begin at Acts 15:19-20. From thence you'll encounter upwards of five hundred by the time you get to the end of Revelation; which is considerably less than a thousand and fifty."

    Are you saying we keep what Paul commands, but not what Jesus commands?

  15. #12
    Over 1000 post club WeberHome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,035
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 71 Posts

    Blog Entries
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    20969

    Post

    -
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    Are you saying we keep what Paul commands, but not what Jesus commands?
    When Paul said "we" in 1Thess 4:1-2, I'm pretty sure he was speaking not only of himself, but also the other guys who wrote letters to the various churches, e.g. John, Peter, James, and Jude, plus the mysterious author of the letter to Hebrews.

    Matt 5:44 is an excerpt from the so-called Sermon On The Mount. Jesus didn't preach the sermon to Christians, rather, to Jews whose religion consists of the covenant that their ancestors agreed upon with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy; plus the Prophets.

    There's lots of information useful to Christians in Matthew's gospel, but unfortunately it practically takes the skills and abilities of a Th.D. to figure out which parts are for Christians and which are for Jews; while the epistles are straightforward for Christians; no confusion there, except maybe in the letter to Hebrews. That's a tough one; which is all the more reason why I said in post #6 "You can take a lot of the guess work out of this by simply letting the following be your guide, yada, yada, yada."

    /

  16. #13
    Over 2500 post club iouae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,905
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 216 Times in 187 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    110420
    Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post
    There's lots of information useful to Christians in Matthew's gospel, but unfortunately it practically takes the skills and abilities of a Th.D. to figure out which parts are for Christians and which are for Jews; while the epistles are straightforward for Christians; no confusion there, except maybe in the letter to Hebrews. That's a tough one; which is all the more reason why I said in post #6 "You can take a lot of the guess work out of this by simply letting the following be your guide, yada, yada, yada."
    I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why you listen to Apostles and not to Christ.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to iouae For Your Post:

    marhig (December 26th, 2017)

  18. #14
    Over 1000 post club WeberHome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,035
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 79 Times in 71 Posts

    Blog Entries
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    20969

    Post

    -
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why you listen to Apostles and not to Christ.
    Listening to the epistles of Paul, James, Peter, Jude, and John is all the same as listening to their master.

    1Cor 14:37 . . If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of The Lord.

    1Thess 4:1-2 . .We beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by The Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. For ye know what commandments we gave you by The Lord Jesus.

    Failure to listen to the epistles of Paul, James, Peter, Jude, and John is a domino effect all the way to the top.

    Luke 10:16 . .Whoever listens to you; listens to me. Whoever rejects you; rejects me. And whoever rejects me; rejects the one who sent me.

    /

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to WeberHome For Your Post:

    popsthebuilder (December 16th, 2017)

  20. #15
    Over 2500 post club iouae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,905
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 216 Times in 187 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    110420
    Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post
    ]Listening to the epistles of Paul, James, Peter, Jude, and John is all the same as listening to their master.
    So do you take what the Master says as true and for you?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us