User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 112

Thread: What does John 14:21 mean?

  1. #61
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    10,586
    Thanks
    7,410
    Thanked 12,803 Times in 7,348 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147640
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Why do you say that?
    I meant He was speaking to the eleven.
    turbosixx says "Yep. Pentecost was the first time men heard the gospel."
    When corrected, turbsixx says "diversion tactic"
    turbosixx is dishonest.


    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

    Eph 2:8-9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:8) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: (2:9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.

  2. #62
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    10,877
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 504 Times in 473 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    81516
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    I meant He was speaking to the eleven.
    Can you show me what you mean?
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

  3. #63
    Body part Right Divider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    10,586
    Thanks
    7,410
    Thanked 12,803 Times in 7,348 Posts

    Blog Entries
    5
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147640

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Can you show me what you mean?
    Read John 13 and 14.... it's all there.

    Jesus was with the twelve and one left. So he was talking to the remaining 11 apostles.
    turbosixx says "Yep. Pentecost was the first time men heard the gospel."
    When corrected, turbsixx says "diversion tactic"
    turbosixx is dishonest.


    Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

    1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
    (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

    Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

    Eph 2:8-9 (AKJV/PCE)
    (2:8) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: (2:9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.

  4. #64
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    10,877
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 504 Times in 473 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    81516
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Divider View Post
    Read John 13 and 14.... it's all there.

    Jesus was with the twelve and one left. So he was talking to the remaining 11 apostles.
    Okay
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

  5. #65
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Jesus fulfilled the Law and the Prophets.

    What do you mean by the law can be satisfied? What do you mean by saying that the law can be satisfied on our behalf? Not by us. But what does it mean and is it Biblical? It sounds like a doctrine which words are not found in scripture.
    Jesus fulfilled the law, it's purpose is complete. If you look at the sermon on the mount, no one is holy enough to obey the law completely. That is the message of the gospel, that Jesus died in our place, to satisfy the law. His righteousness is given to us. It is through faith, not the law that we are saved.
    Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.
    Romans 5:1*-‬2 NIV
    I hope I am making sense...

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  6. #66
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    10,877
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 504 Times in 473 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    81516
    Quote Originally Posted by dahelmang View Post
    Jesus fulfilled the law, it's purpose is complete. If you look at the sermon on the mount, no one is holy enough to obey the law completely. That is the message of the gospel, that Jesus died in our place, to satisfy the law. His righteousness is given to us. It is through faith, not the law that we are saved.
    Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.
    Romans 5:1*-‬2 NIV
    I hope I am making sense...

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    I know that God wants me to obey His Commandments. This is observance of the Law. God does not want anyone to sin. God does not want anyone to transgress the law. Sin is transgression of the law.

    Jesus came to fulfill the Law and the Prophets. He did not come to abolish them.

    Salvation is by faith, not the Law.

    Shalom.

    Jacob
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

  7. #67
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I know that God wants me to obey His Commandments. This is observance of the Law. God does not want anyone to sin. God does not want anyone to transgress the law. Sin is transgression of the law.

    Jesus came to fulfill the Law and the Prophets. He did not come to abolish them.

    Salvation is by faith, not the Law.

    Shalom.

    Jacob
    I am glad that we agree. If you choose to obey the ceremonial law out of love for Jesus, as the OP says, that is a beautifal act of worship. Just consider that Jesus fulfilled the purpose of the law of Moses. It was meant to point to Him, and show how much we need Him to save us. Now the law is written on our hearts, with the Holy Spirit.

    This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.
    Hebrews 8:10*-‬13 NIV
    I am very happy to hear you say we are saved by grace.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  8. #68
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    17016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    What does John 14:21 mean?
    It means more to those who were there, than it does to us.
    http://www.randpaul.com/

  9. #69
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    10,877
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 504 Times in 473 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    81516
    Quote Originally Posted by dahelmang View Post
    I am glad that we agree. If you choose to obey the ceremonial law out of love for Jesus, as the OP says, that is a beautifal act of worship. Just consider that Jesus fulfilled the purpose of the law of Moses. It was meant to point to Him, and show how much we need Him to save us. Now the law is written on our hearts, with the Holy Spirit.

    This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.
    Hebrews 8:10*-‬13 NIV
    I am very happy to hear you say we are saved by grace.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    We are saved by grace through faith.

    No, I do not know what your ceremonial law is nor why you say it can be observed out of love for Jesus.

    Jesus taught us to observe and keep, to keep and teach, the Commandments. I just do not have a ceremonial law designation.
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

  10. #70
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    10,877
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 504 Times in 473 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    81516
    Quote Originally Posted by SabathMoon View Post
    It means more to those who were there, than it does to us.
    We can learn what it meant to them and what it means for us. Do you accept what Jesus taught there? Do you accept it for you? Do you apply it to your life or have you applied it to your life?

    Shalom.

    Jacob
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

  11. #71
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    We are saved by grace through faith.

    No, I do not know what your ceremonial law is nor why you say it can be observed out of love for Jesus.

    Jesus taught us to observe and keep, to keep and teach, the Commandments. I just do not have a ceremonial law designation.
    Well the law of Moses is divided into three sections by theologians: the moral law, ceremonial law, and civil law. The moral laws are generally repeated in the New Testament, things like don't murder steal or lie. The ceremonial law was meant to keep Israel clean while God was in the Tabernacle and Temple, things like dietary laws and feasts and sacrifices. The civil law was meant for Israel as a society, things like boundary stones, sanctuary cities, and specific puniahments for the courts to enforce. It's not a sure thing, just a way of describing the general categories. since Peter was told he could eat unclean animals in Acts 10, gentile Christians have not usually followed the ceremonial law. That's what I am talking about. The Holy Spirit will convict you of the laws you need to follow.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

  12. #72
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    10,877
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 504 Times in 473 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    81516
    Quote Originally Posted by dahelmang View Post
    Well the law of Moses is divided into three sections by theologians: the moral law, ceremonial law, and civil law. The moral laws are generally repeated in the New Testament, things like don't murder steal or lie. The ceremonial law was meant to keep Israel clean while God was in the Tabernacle and Temple, things like dietary laws and feasts and sacrifices. The civil law was meant for Israel as a society, things like boundary stones, sanctuary cities, and specific puniahments for the courts to enforce. It's not a sure thing, just a way of describing the general categories. since Peter was told he could eat unclean animals in Acts 10, gentile Christians have not usually followed the ceremonial law. That's what I am talking about. The Holy Spirit will convict you of the laws you need to follow.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    What do you mean by laws?

    I disagree with you in your presentation. What Theologians say may not have bearing upon my life as a Jew.

    Jesus instructed us to keep and teach the Commandments. It is my belief that no one is excluded from this, but to accept all of the commandments, well, I do not see any obstacle to that and this is what I have done and become a Jew.

    Shalom.

    Jacob
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

  13. #73
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    17016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    We can learn what it meant to them and what it means for us. Do you accept what Jesus taught there? Do you accept it for you? Do you apply it to your life or have you applied it to your life?

    Shalom.

    Jacob
    Turning the other cheek is not good self-defense, and punishment given to Judah for disobeying God. Should we emulate it?
    http://www.randpaul.com/

  14. #74
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    10,877
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 504 Times in 473 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    81516
    Quote Originally Posted by SabathMoon View Post
    Turning the other cheek is not good self-defense, and punishment given to Judah for disobeying God. Should we emulate it?
    What do you mean?

    Turning the other cheek is not about self-defense.

    Why is this your response to my post?
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob For Your Post:

    dahelmang (December 8th, 2017)

  16. #75
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    17016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    What do you mean?

    Turning the other cheek is not about self-defense.

    Why is this your response to my post?
    I think can read his commandments, but consider one another, as I have considered ye (i.e. a first century israelite audience) does not apply to us. He is not considering us. But we consider others as Jesus did.
    http://www.randpaul.com/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us