Thread: Is the Holy Spirit Female?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bright Raven wrote:
    John 14:16-17 King James Version (KJV)

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
    17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
    The use of 'him' is a proper translation here because its antecedent is the masculine paraclete ('Comforter') not 'spirit.' But when the pronoun refers back to 'holy spirit' which is neuter in NT Greek (look it up!!), then the pronoun must be neuter ('auto'-'it,' 'itself').

For example, John 14:17, NAB (1991), properly uses 'it' ('auto') because the antecedent is the neuter 'spirit':

"the Spirit of truth, which the world cannot accept, because it neither sees nor knows IT ('auto'). But you know IT ('auto'), because it remains with you, and will be in you."

Most Bibles mistranslate 'auto' in this verse as 'him' because of tradition rather than truth.

Thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Holy Spirit is referred to by Christ Himself...
    John 16:12-14:
    12 I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post #63 should read The Holy Spirit is referred to as HE by Christ Himself (followed by John 16:12-14)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bright Raven wrote:

John 14:16-17 King James Version (KJV)

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
    17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
    Sorry but I got my scriptures mixed up in post #61. Here is what it should have been:

John 14:17, NAB (1991), properly uses 'it' ('auto') because the antecedent is the neuter 'spirit':

"the Spirit of truth, which the world cannot accept, because it neither sees nor knows IT ('auto'). But you know IT ('auto'), because it remains with you, and will be in you."

Most Bibles mistranslate 'auto' in this verse as 'him' because of tradition rather than truth.

As for John 16:12-14, the use of 'him' is a proper translation here because its antecedent is the masculine paraclete ('Comforter') not 'spirit.' But when the pronoun actually refers back to 'holy spirit' which is neuter in NT Greek (look it up!!), then the pronoun must be neuter ('auto'-'it,' 'itself').

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigger 2 For Your Post:

freelight (December 8th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should all understand that in NT Greek (as well as many other languages)the gender of a pronoun must match that of its antecedent! So even if the antecedent is written quite a bit earlier, it sometimes can be recognized by seeing which noun agrees with it in gender, number, etc.

John 16:7, 12-14 is an example. 'Paraclete' (singular, masculine), or 'Comforter' in English, is the antecedent of 'him.'

Thanks
    Thanked 5,888 Times in 4,154 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchmanOnTheWall View Post
    No need to assume, the Bible clearly says that God the Father has Hands, Feet, Arms a Head and more: We are made in His image and the image of the HS. Gen 1: 'Let us make people in our image'
    and you are a dumbbell. God said let us make man in our image. God was referring to an ability, not a form. God does not have a bodily conformation. Only Jesus, on earth, had a human body
    Quote Originally Posted by marhig View Post
    Christian theology isn't to be in Christ.

So, what?

believe it!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ktoyou For Your Post:

daqq (December 7th, 2017)

Over 750 post club WatchmanOnTheWall's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    and you are a dumbbell. God said let us make man in our image. God was referring to an ability, not a form. God does not have a bodily conformation. Only Jesus, on earth, had a human body
    How dare you call me a dumbbell, I have never been so insulted in all my life.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchmanOnTheWall View Post
    How dare you call me a dumbbell, I have never been so insulted in all my life.
    I call everyone a dumbbell, or goofball, when I disagree with what they post, so, take it with a grain of salt

So, what?

believe it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,146 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Honoring the Holy Spirit........

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger 2 View Post

Sorry but I got my scriptures mixed up in post #61. Here is what it should have been:

John 14:17, NAB (1991), properly uses 'it' ('auto') because the antecedent is the neuter 'spirit':

As for John 16:12-14, the use of 'him' is a proper translation here because its antecedent is the masculine paraclete ('Comforter') not 'spirit.' But when the pronoun actually refers back to 'holy spirit' which is neuter in NT Greek (look it up!!), then the pronoun must be neuter ('auto'-'it,' 'itself').
    Hello Tigger 2 and all following,

First of all, my original commmentary here holds in recognizing that 'God' is both 'male' and 'female' in qualities, attributes and character, relationally speaking, and is appropriately in that 'context' our 'Father-Mother-God', since the very nature of God is the SOURCE of man, who as MALE and FEMALE is the expression of God
    . This clear representation as Gods image and likeness cannot be denied, unless one would deny 'God', which is what many so called religious people are doing, by failing to honor God by their religious conditioning and/or ignorance, rather than to honor God as both 'Father' and 'Mother'.

I appreciate your recognition of the obvious, in the original languages, as it became the tradition to 'assume' the Spirit as masculine (he), while the greek word for 'spirit' in the NT is neuter gender. Therefore at best, the Spirit may be referred to as 'it' in some cases, while the 'he' is a preposition added by tradition, conventionally speaking. (here we get into another debate over whether the Spirit is 'personal' or not, another subject). However,...most if not all cases of the term 'spirit' (ruach) in the hebrew scritpures are of the feminine nuance, as well as the aramaic text, and it is CLEAR that the wisdom and shekinah of 'God' are indeed portrayed in the feminine gender. Since the image and likeness of 'God' includes the perfect revelation and synergy of BOTH 'male' and 'female', it should be no surprise or indignation that our 'God' is a 'father' and a 'mother' to us, since God mothers us by the Spirit, and that same Spirit mothered our Lord Jesus. - this is a truth, and if one would deny it, they deny a love for divine wisdom and truth, and deny the Spirit itself, who is revealed in the hebrew language as FEMININE.

The Holy Spirit: The Feminine Aspect of the Godhead

Holy-Spiriti-400x400.jpg

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freelight View Post
    our 'Father-Mother-God', since the very nature of God is the SOURCE of man, who as MALE and FEMALE is the expression of God[/U]. This clear representation as Gods image and likeness cannot be denied, unless one would deny 'God', which is what many so called religious people are doing, by failing to honor God by their religious conditioning and/or ignorance, rather than to honor God as both 'Father' and 'Mother'.

I appreciate your recognition of the obvious, in the original languages, as it became the tradition to 'assume' the Spirit as masculine (he), while the greek word for 'spirit' in the NT is neuter gender. Therefore at best, the Spirit may be referred to as 'it' in some cases, while the 'he' is a preposition added by tradition, conventionally speaking. (here we get into another debate over whether the Spirit is 'personal' or not, another subject). However,...most if not all cases of the term 'spirit' (ruach) in the hebrew scritpures are of the feminine nuance, as well as the aramaic text, and it is CLEAR that the wisdom and shekinah of 'God' are indeed portrayed in the feminine gender. Since the image and likeness of 'God' includes the perfect revelation and synergy of BOTH 'male' and 'female', it should be no surprise or indignation that our 'God' is a 'father' and a 'mother' to us, since God mothers us by the Spirit, and that same Spirit mothered our Lord Jesus. - this is a truth, and if one would deny it, they deny a love for divine wisdom and truth, and deny the Spirit itself, who is revealed in the hebrew language as FEMININE.

The Holy Spirit: The Feminine Aspect of the Godhead

Why do you continue to do this? Christianity is not worshiping powerful body gods, as pagans have in past times.

So, what?

believe it!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Meta-physical understanding of terms and values.......

Why do you continue to do this? Christianity is not worshiping powerful body gods, as pagans have in past times.
    Hello Kat

You would do well to note and understand my dissertation as being an exposition on Deity and 'gender'. 'Gender' is not limited to a physical form or representation, as I honor our religious tradition and culture (we discussing the judeo-christian one in this context) as honoring the feminine. The Holy Spirit, Sophia (Wisdom) and the Shekinah are rendered in the 'feminine', AND as I have clearly shown, the very nature, qualities, attributes of Deity AS revealed in Man as 'MALE' and 'FEMALE' are self-evident, both literally and figuratively. These are basic universal metaphysical truths concerning 'Spirit'(God) and 'gender' ('masculine' and 'feminine').

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Kat

You would do well to note and understand my dissertation as being an exposition on Deity and 'gender'. 'Gender' is not limited to a physical form or representation, as I honor our religious tradition and culture (we discussing the judeo-christian one in this context) as honoring the feminine. The Holy Spirit, Sophia (Wisdom) and the Shekinah are rendered in the 'feminine', AND as I have clearly shown, the very nature, qualities, attributes of Deity AS revealed in Man as 'MALE' and '
    Sherman does not like the 'gender' placing on God.

gender is a big pain in the a** when discussing theology because it always reduces God to human traits. It is like, nowhere, hicksville.

So, what?

believe it!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sherman does not like the 'gender' placing on God.

gender is a big pain in the a** when discussing theology because it always reduces God to human traits. It is like, nowhere, hicksville.
    And this is Knight's forum - she already banned me for some of my former commentary merely RECOGNIZING that 'God' is the source of gender, and the FACT that Man being 'male' and 'female' POINTS to 'God' as being both. 'God' being INFINITE is of course beyond gender, but in this 'context' we honor 'God' and that which is born OUT FROM GOD. - that would be God's full glory revealed as MAN. And what is man? - man (adamah) is comprised of both genders. We see 2 genders REPRESENTING their source, who is 'God'.

Moreover, I find it again a lack of understanding and undue fear to 'assume' that this recognition somehow limits 'God' or confines him to human form, terms or personality traits. It does not. If anything it fosters a greater insight and appreciation of Deity, and inspires a fonder love for 'God' as Mother. - the earthly commandment to honor both father and mother is but a mere earthly sentiment of a higher spiritual love, as everything on earth, of material form is the expression of some higher spiritual truth or reality. Again this is basic metaphysics. If one does not wish to expand his consciousness to include this greater context of God's nature and character, especially as it is revealed by man's own nature, gender and relational truth contexts, that is his choice.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And this is Knight's forum - she already banned me for some of my former commentary merely RECOGNIZING that 'God' is the source of gender, and the FACT that Man being 'male' and 'female' POINTS to 'God' as being both. 'God' being INFINITE is of course beyond gender, but in this 'context' we honor 'God' and that which is born OUT FROM GOD. - that would be God's full glory revealed as MAN. And what is man? - man (adamah) is comprised of both genders. We see 2 genders REPRESENTING their source, who is 'God'.

Moreover, I find it again a lack of understanding and undue fear to 'assume' that this recognition somehow limits 'God' or confines him to human form, terms or personality traits. It does not. If anything it fosters a greater insight and appreciation of Deity, and inspires a fonder love for 'God' as Mother. - the earthly commandment to honor both father and mother is but a mere earthly sentiment of a higher spiritual love, as everything on earth, of material form is the expression of some higher spiritual truth or reality. Again this is basic metaphysics. If one does not wish to expand his consciousness to include this greater context of God's nature and character, especially as it is revealed by man's own nature, gender and relational truth contexts, that is his choice.
    whatever freelight. I did not report you and hardly ever do that. i personally think the topic is trivial and boring

So, what?

believe it!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ktoyou For Your Post:

freelight (December 8th, 2017)

Thread Information