User Tag List

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 400

Thread: What if climate change is real and human caused--what should Christians do about it?

  1. #61
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,927
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,838 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    338650
    Barbarian suggests:
    Check out what's happened to insurance rates for homes on the Gulf Coast.

    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    That's what they get for living on the edge of the ocean. Natives warned us about that.
    The natives knew that we'd be messing with the climate?
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  2. #62
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    8,196
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 763 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    490504
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    The Little Ice Age; was it big enough to be global?
    Determining the reasons for the Little Ice Age is quite a challenge.
    http://jrscience.wcp.muohio.edu/Weat...asitbigen.html
    I am sure it is a challenge to find ways to deny the causes of the Little Ice Age when they do not match predictions based on tiny fluctuations of the amount of a trace gas in the atmosphere.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Stronger hurricanes are a prediction of global warming. And the drier conditions in the west are also.
    There are no "Stronger hurricanes" nor "drier conditions in the west"

    There is plenty of real evidence of catastrophic events in the past that exceed what we are seeing now.
    Hurricanes were both stronger and weaker in the past.
    Conditions in the west were both drier and wetter in the past.
    And, the exciting thing about that real evidence is that it does not have any correlation to tiny fluctuations in the amount of a trace gas in the atmosphere.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    Angel4Truth (November 30th, 2017)

  4. #63
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,927
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,838 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    338650
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    I am sure it is a challenge to find ways to deny the causes of the Little Ice Age when they do not match predictions based on tiny fluctuations of the amount of a trace gas in the atmosphere.
    It's just a fact. The "Little Ice Age" was arguably not a world-wide phenomenon, and seems to have been a consequence of changes in the Gulf Stream. On the other hand, it was associated with a sunspot minimum which does cause cooling. Incidentally, we are now in a minimum, but instead of cooling off, as such minima historically have been shown to do, we are getting record high temperatures for the Earth each year.

    There are no "Stronger hurricanes"
    We are now seeing a pattern of larger and more destructive hurricanes. No point in denying the fact. That's why insurance rates are climbing on the Gulf Coast.

    The intensity of North Atlantic hurricanes and the number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes have increased since the 1980s.These increases are due in part to warmer sea surface temperatures in the areas where Atlantic hurricanes form and pass through.

    https://www.neefusa.org/nature/water...cane-intensity

    nor "drier conditions in the west"
    You're wrong on that, too...
    http://nca2014.globalchange.gov/repo...s/great-plains

    And, the exciting thing about that real evidence is that it does not have any correlation to tiny fluctuations in the amount of a trace gas in the atmosphere.
    This just isn't your day, I guess...

    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Derf (November 30th, 2017)

  6. #64
    Over 1500 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,711
    Thanks
    383
    Thanked 715 Times in 491 Posts

    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    212276
    This is a rather interesting video. It allows for the possibility that nature will deal with our trash in some cases, but suggests that we can minimize our use of non-biodegradable materials. Look at 10:17.



    It also talks about whole islands that have been constructed from trash and made beautiful using those skills God gave us in the garden.

    I apologize for the reference to trees that nothing knew how to decompose 400 million years ago.

  7. #65
    Over 4000 post club gcthomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,202
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked 908 Times in 614 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    457948
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Okay.


    Here is a Biblical for-instance:
    Let's say that one of the problems causing catastrophic climate change is God wrath against mankind's sin. If we outlaw or severely limit such sin, we run the risk of upsetting a lot of people who want to continue sinning, but we fulfill loving our neighbor by trying to save them from their sins. On the other hand, if we do nothing, God's wrath will only increase and many people will be destroyed and He will hold their sin against us because we didn't try to save them from their sins. The correct response should be obvious.


    Since we coming out of an ice age, it would make sense to think there is a warming trend.
    We haven't reached climate optimum yet, so a warming trend is a good thing.
    The climate optimum was reached 5000 years ago. We are not "coming out" of an ice age that ended 12 000 years ago.
    We wunt be druv.

    Self appointed representative of the reality based community. [Send complaints to /dev/null.]

  8. #66
    Over 2500 post club WatchmanOnTheWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,617
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 248 Times in 206 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    111343
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Yes, He can. But will He?

    Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. [Gen 2:15 NKJV]

    God didn't need Adam to tend and keep the garden, since He could just supernaturally prune and rake and whatever else Adam was supposed to do.

    Neither does God need any help to judge, but Paul said we will judge the world and angels. 1Co 6:2-3

    Neither did Jesus need 12 legions of angels to rescue Him from the cross (Mat 26:53). But they were there, ready to do so.

    Neither does He need 144,000...

    Why? Why would God ever want men or angels to do what He could do in an instant, by His mere word?
    Well actually the 144,000 who will reign with Jesus on Earth in the Millennial reign will have resurrected bodies like Jesus' and like Adam and Eve had and will also be able to preform miracles as well, such as restoring the Earth. A bit like when Adam tended the garden, although that didn't last very long.

  9. #67
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    8,196
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 763 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    490504
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    The intensity of North Atlantic hurricanes and the number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes have increased since the 1980s.
    https://www.neefusa.org/nature/water...cane-intensity
    Global warming hoaxers love to pretend that climate began in the 1980s.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    This just isn't your day, I guess...

    Your image is based on the distortion of temperature that was done by Mann in order to create his famous "hockey stick" graph.
    One major part of the graph that is wrong is changing the data source of the base temperatures in the 1980s.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  10. #68
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    8,196
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 763 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    490504
    Quote Originally Posted by gcthomas View Post
    The climate optimum was reached 5000 years ago. We are not "coming out" of an ice age that ended 12 000 years ago.
    Wrong ice age. Try again.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  11. #69
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,927
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,838 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    338650
    (Barbarian notes that increasing ocean temperatures have led to an increase in hurricane severity)

    [QUOTE=genuineoriginal;5142526]Global warming hoaxers love to pretend that climate began in the 1980s.

    Someone suckered you on that story. Anthropogenic warming goes back to the beginning of the industrial revolution. Would you like to learn about that?

    Your image is based on...
    ...actual data from temperature stations. And it is very closely matched by several other sources of data. Would you like to learn about those?

    One major part of the graph that is wrong is changing the data source of the base temperatures in the 1980s.
    Well, let's see how much of a correction there was...



    They didn't tell you that, um?
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    User Name (December 1st, 2017)

  13. #70
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,443
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 9,162 Times in 6,990 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147813
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Let's say we spread all 11 billion people out evenly across the surface of the earth. Each person would get approximately 3.35 acres of land. If you subtract out the uninhabitable land, it's more like 1.5 acres per person. Is that enough for each person to feed themselves? I don't know--it might be, as long as it isn't mostly concrete.
    I'm sure they'll work something out.

    And 1.5 acres per person sounds like an awful lot of space.

    You mentioned that regulations are the reason you don't want to talk about polar bears and plastic bags. But saying we can't talk about polar bears and plastic bags is a regulation you want to impose. Why do you get to impose regulations, but don't want anyone to impose them on you?
    I think you misunderstand. You spoke about the Biblical history of the planet. I regard that as a worthwhile thing to discuss. However, the discussion is almost always centered around the liberals' idea of what is wrong and how to fix it. Their solution is always to impose regulations.

    I'm not against regulations; I just know they never solve any problems.

    If you want to do away with regulations.
    I don't want to do away with regulations.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

    Blablaman

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (December 3rd, 2017)

  15. #71
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    8,927
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,838 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    338650
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post

    And 1.5 acres per person sounds like an awful lot of space.
    Think of a square about 100 meters on a side. This to provide housing, crops for food and animals to eat and graze (assuming you don't want to be a vegetarian), and water. Streets, utility easements, etc. would have to come out of that as well, not to mention hospitals, stores, and the like. Sounds pretty cramped to me.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  16. #72
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,443
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 9,162 Times in 6,990 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147813
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Sounds pretty cramped to me.


    You've obviously never lived in a city.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

    Blablaman

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (December 3rd, 2017)

  18. #73
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,443
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 9,162 Times in 6,990 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147813
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Think of a square about 100 meters on a side.
    Think of a square about 120m on a side.

    That's what we have today*.

    *Using your number, which is not overly accurate.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

    Blablaman

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (December 3rd, 2017)

  20. #74
    Over 4000 post club gcthomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,202
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked 908 Times in 614 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    457948
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post


    You've obviously never lived in a city.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app
    Cities are surrounded by farmland for a reason, numpty.
    We wunt be druv.

    Self appointed representative of the reality based community. [Send complaints to /dev/null.]

  21. #75
    Over 4000 post club gcthomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,202
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked 908 Times in 614 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    457948
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Wrong ice age. Try again.
    There hasn't been one since. There was a cold spell in the Northern latitudes often called the Little Ice Age, but it wasn't actually an ice age of course. Which ice age were you thinking of?
    We wunt be druv.

    Self appointed representative of the reality based community. [Send complaints to /dev/null.]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us