User Tag List

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 400

Thread: What if climate change is real and human caused--what should Christians do about it?

  1. #46
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    2,762
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 651 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    365542
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Not in this thread.

    Sent from my Z992 using TheologyOnline mobile app
    Because this thread is fantasy

  2. #47
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    near Olympic National Park
    Posts
    13,718
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 718 Times in 635 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    206931
    Derf wrote:
    But as Christians, we have an inside track with the designer of the earth. If He intended for it to handle 11 billion people, don't you think He would have designed it to handle 11 billion people? Or if not, perhaps He would have designed it not to reach 11 billion people.





    No, the conclusions made here do not stand. The place has been seriously disrupted since the revolt of mankind, and the deluge (physically and geologically more by the deluge than the other). It groans until the coming new heavens and new earth, Romans 8:

    The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the One who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.
    We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time...


    To believe that that whole place is in a state of disruption and disarray is one of the basic Christian beliefs addressed in Dr. Schaeffer's HE IS THERE AND HE IS NOT SILENT. By contrast, the atheist and uniformitarian belief is that it is arriving at something of evolutionary perfection, especially if we can just put massive global centralized government in charge, like the Third Reich intended. The US Constitution would be beheaded, and all actions or values would be assessed in terms of the 'environment.' Thus the supposed 'crisis' of climate change, which is as elusive in definition as possible, and has been rewritten 3 times so far.
    All Lives Matter --Marcus Sanford, youtube.com

  3. #48
    Over 1500 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,833
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 829 Times in 570 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    230453
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonahdog View Post
    Because this thread is fantasy
    Agreed, and I appreciate you admitting it! That's why the title starts with "What if"! But I'm willing to go beyond the fantasy and see what we might do if climate change were not a fantasy.

    If you want to put forward a Christian perspective on our responsibilities regarding alleged climate change, please do so. But research them first. I know you like to research such things.

  4. #49
    Over 1500 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,833
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 829 Times in 570 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    230453
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    Derf wrote:
    But as Christians, we have an inside track with the designer of the earth. If He intended for it to handle 11 billion people, don't you think He would have designed it to handle 11 billion people? Or if not, perhaps He would have designed it not to reach 11 billion people.





    No, the conclusions made here do not stand. The place has been seriously disrupted since the revolt of mankind, and the deluge (physically and geologically more by the deluge than the other). It groans until the coming new heavens and new earth, Romans 8:

    The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the One who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.
    We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time...


    To believe that that whole place is in a state of disruption and disarray is one of the basic Christian beliefs addressed in Dr. Schaeffer's HE IS THERE AND HE IS NOT SILENT. By contrast, the atheist and uniformitarian belief is that it is arriving at something of evolutionary perfection, especially if we can just put massive global centralized government in charge, like the Third Reich intended. The US Constitution would be beheaded, and all actions or values would be assessed in terms of the 'environment.' Thus the supposed 'crisis' of climate change, which is as elusive in definition as possible, and has been rewritten 3 times so far.
    Thanks for that input, IP. I just picked that book off the shelf to read it a couple nights ago. (As usual, I got interrupted before I got very far into it. ) I agree with you that the world is in a state of disruption and disarray, but I disagree with you that we should just let it be that way.

    God gave man a job when he left the garden--to take a place that was in a state of disarray and make it better and more productive.

    Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; [Gen 3:18 KJV]
    Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. [Gen 3:23 KJV]

    Schaeffer is not one to shy away from attempts to make things more beautiful, and even to deal with the environment. From his book "Pollution and the Death of Man":

    Why has strip mining usually turned the area where it has been used into desert? …What has brought about the ugly destruction of the environment? There is one reason: man’s greed.
    If the strip miners would take bulldozers and push back the topsoil, rip out the coal, then replace the topsoil, ten years after the coal was removed there would be a green field, and in fifty years a forest. But as it has usually been practiced, for an added profit above what is reasonable in regard to nature, man turns these areas into deserts and then cries out that the topsoil is gone, grass will not grow, and there is no way to grow trees for hundreds of years!
    It is always true that if you treat the land properly, you have to make two choices. The first is in the area of economics. It costs more money, at least at first, to treat the land well. For example, in the case of the school I have mentioned [Schaeffer had previously mentioned an ugly Christian school building that had no trees around it], all they had to do to improve the place was to plant trees to shield the building they built. But it costs money to plant trees, and somebody decided that instead of planting trees they would prefer to do something else with the money. Of course, the school needs money for its important work; but there is a time when planting trees is an important work.
    The second choice that is involved is that it usually takes longer to treat the land properly. These are the two factors that lead to the destruction of our environment: money and time — or to say it another way, greed and haste. The question is, or seems to be, are we going to have an immediate profit and an immediate saving of time, or are we going to do what we really should do as God’s children?


    While Schaeffer was dealing with strip mining in that section, the same principles (as laid out in the latter two paragraphs) can and should apply to this discussion.

    So, in light of the Schaeffer example, one biblical principle that can be brought to bear is DISTRIBUTED PRIVATE PROPERTY RIGHTS that never expire.

    "???????", you may think. But think more deeply. In Schaeffer's example, the problem exhibited is that a company can come in and destroy a piece of land, then move on to another. But if they had permanent rights to that land and no other (thus the "distributed" part), they could realize the available wealth of their land, but they would then need to do something else with it, and wouldn't want to leave it in a state of disarray.

    This biblical principle is found in the Mosaic law where property rights remain in the family FOREVER. They can lease it out to others, but it reverts back to them at Jubilee. And their descendants will need to survive off the land thereafter.

    Not all land was distributed in such a way--city dwellers did not own their property forever.

    So are there principles like this that can apply to climate change scenarios?

    Are we not "the sons of God"? Do you think the creation will be immediately fixed when we are revealed? What of Eze 39:9,11 that tells us of efforts to clean up after war that last for months and years?

    Is it even possible, as many on TOL have suggested, that the prophecies of future destruction might be avoided if we start doing now what needs to be done, rather than waiting until more stuff is destroyed?

    Is it possible, even, that "the whole creation groans" because man is not currently obeying God's commands, some of which include tending the environment, and that it will cease when man finally does God's will on earth like is already being done in heaven?

  5. #50
    Over 1500 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,833
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 829 Times in 570 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    230453
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy afternoon View Post
    Move to warmer areas not to cooler areas.

    LA

    Aren't we to "fill" the earth? So God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth." [Gen 9:1 NKJV]

    And didn't God work against those that decided to stay in the comfortable location and climate (Babel)?

    But, on the other hand, if the earth warms automatically as the population rises, you don't have to move to a warmer climate--the warmer climate comes to you!

  6. #51
    Over 1500 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,833
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 829 Times in 570 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    230453
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchmanOnTheWall View Post
    Ahhr but Jesus can do anything and will supernaturally restore the Earth. Just think about the miracles of calming the storm, creating food, healing people, etc. It will be simple to restore the atmosphere to whatever it 'should' be.
    Yes, He can. But will He?

    Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. [Gen 2:15 NKJV]

    God didn't need Adam to tend and keep the garden, since He could just supernaturally prune and rake and whatever else Adam was supposed to do.

    Neither does God need any help to judge, but Paul said we will judge the world and angels. 1Co 6:2-3

    Neither did Jesus need 12 legions of angels to rescue Him from the cross (Mat 26:53). But they were there, ready to do so.

    Neither does He need 144,000...

    Why? Why would God ever want men or angels to do what He could do in an instant, by His mere word?

  7. #52
    LIFETIME MEMBER
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,130
    Thanks
    515
    Thanked 897 Times in 748 Posts

    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    122518
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Aren't we to "fill" the earth? So God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth." [Gen 9:1 NKJV]

    And didn't God work against those that decided to stay in the comfortable location and climate (Babel)?

    But, on the other hand, if the earth warms automatically as the population rises, you don't have to move to a warmer climate--the warmer climate comes to you!
    The latest science is that the earth is beginning its cooling phase.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCUrljERHcA

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH4xHf4Hb8M&t=137s

    LA
    My theology is that the elect of Israel became the scattered church among the nations, and when filled up with the full number of gentiles who believe to become one with them, then Christ will return and gather them, and God will then pour out His wrath on the unbelievers of both Jew and Gentile.

  8. #53
    Over 1500 post club Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,833
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 829 Times in 570 Posts

    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    230453
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    What's wrong with 11 billion people?
    Let's say we spread all 11 billion people out evenly across the surface of the earth. Each person would get approximately 3.35 acres of land. If you subtract out the uninhabitable land, it's more like 1.5 acres per person. Is that enough for each person to feed themselves? I don't know--it might be, as long as it isn't mostly concrete.

    BUT, the good news is that global warming, if that is what's happening, is opening up new areas for human habitation, like regions further north. The bad news is that the ocean levels will be rising some, too. These things are tradeoffs, but it seems like it may be good tradeoffs. I.e., we may get more land up north than we lose on islands and coastal areas. And maybe having a large city, like Miami or LA, fall into or get swallowed by oceans every now and then is a good thing, too.

    The jury is still out on whether we will be able to reclaim more desert land or we lose more land to deserts.

    You mentioned that regulations are the reason you don't want to talk about polar bears and plastic bags. But saying we can't talk about polar bears and plastic bags is a regulation you want to impose. Why do you get to impose regulations, but don't want anyone to impose them on you?

    I'll answer for you, because I feel the same way--we want the benefits of society without the negatives. We all do. The more we have of our own, however, the less we think we need from others. This is the basic political divide in the US (and other places, too). And the more we earn, the more we like to keep the fruit of our labors. More tradeoffs.

    Regulations are a necessary part of living with other people, period. So if you want to do away with regulations, then you will have to do away with some people. Reaching 11 billion in population will definitely NOT decrease the amount of needed regulation...

    UNLESS, everybody exercises some amazing self-control.

    So, there's another biblical principle for handling climate change--self control. This would be something similar to the idea I broached with @Interplanner about cleaning up after one's self better--trying not to mess up other people's stuff.

  9. #54
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,053
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    372011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonahdog View Post
    Stripe has a basic misunderstanding of entropy.
    Why would that be different than everything else? Stipe is an outpatient at the Kowloon Clinic for the Completely Wrong.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (November 30th, 2017)

  11. #55
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,092 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501710
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    If the bible gives wisdom for all occasions, then it should be able to handle this:

    Let's say, for argument's sake, that Global Climate change is a fact, and that it is caused by humans.
    Okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    What then should we as Christians do about it? I'll suggest up front that while some of the secular proposals are feasible, and some not so much, there are consequences that also demand biblical consideration.

    Here's a for-instance:
    Let's say that one of the problems causing warming is cooking/warming fires (this can be applied to more or less modern cooking and heating devices), and the carbon dioxide and pollution both create conditions that contribute in some way to the warming, but they are necessary for people to survive, supposedly. Thus, if we outlaw or severely limit such fires, we run the risk of starving some people, or exposing them to cold, or causing them to to have to drink unsanitary water, or whatever. On the other hand, if we do nothing, some people are likely to lose their homes or their lives because of the effects of global warming/climate change. Thus we face the problem of not loving our neighbor in either case.
    Here is a Biblical for-instance:
    Let's say that one of the problems causing catastrophic climate change is God wrath against mankind's sin. If we outlaw or severely limit such sin, we run the risk of upsetting a lot of people who want to continue sinning, but we fulfill loving our neighbor by trying to save them from their sins. On the other hand, if we do nothing, God's wrath will only increase and many people will be destroyed and He will hold their sin against us because we didn't try to save them from their sins. The correct response should be obvious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    I think there is definitely a warming trend, but I don't know whether it is human-caused or not, and I don't know if it's a bad thing or not. Participants of the thread should feel free to explore the different sides.
    Since we coming out of an ice age, it would make sense to think there is a warming trend.
    We haven't reached climate optimum yet, so a warming trend is a good thing.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

    Derf (November 30th, 2017)

  13. #56
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,053
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    372011
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    Okay.
    Since we coming out of an ice age,
    We is?

    it would make sense to think there is a warming trend.
    The ice age ended thousands of years ago, but the warming trend goes back to the beginning of the industrial revolution.

    We haven't reached climate optimum yet
    How do stronger hurricanes, a drier climate in the American West, and depleted water supplies mean we're moving toward an optimum?

    so a warming trend is a good thing.
    Check out what's happened to insurance rates for homes on the Gulf Coast.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (November 30th, 2017)

  15. #57
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    33,404
    Thanks
    18,066
    Thanked 16,575 Times in 13,015 Posts

    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post




    Check out what's happened to insurance rates for homes on the Gulf Coast.
    That's what they get for living on the edge of the ocean. Natives warned us about that.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick jane For Your Post:

    Tambora (December 3rd, 2017)

  17. #58
    TOL Legend genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    9,247
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,092 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    501710
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    The ice age ended thousands of years ago, but the warming trend goes back to the beginning of the industrial revolution.
    The ice age we are coming out of is the Little Ice Age that followed the Medieval Warm Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    How do stronger hurricanes, a drier climate in the American West, and depleted water supplies mean we're moving toward an optimum?
    They don't, neither do hurricanes and overuse of potable water supplies indicate that there is anthropogenic global warming.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  18. #59
    TOL Legend The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    9,053
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    372011
    Barbarian observes:
    The ice age ended thousands of years ago, but the warming trend goes back to the beginning of the industrial revolution.

    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    The ice age we are coming out of is the Little Ice Age that followed the Medieval Warm Period.
    Funny you should mention that...

    The Little Ice Age; was it big enough to be global?
    The global implications of the Little Ice Age are still debatable, but it is rather safe to say that for a variety of reasons, the world was cooler for a period of time. And although the Little Ice Age devastated those who were sustaining themselves at a latitude and altitude extreme, it is important to keep in mind that this 'ice age' was a tiny blip in the climatic fluctuations of earth. By far, other climatic fluctuations in even the Holocene, like Younger Drias which last over 800 years, have been far more intense and last much longer. Determining the reasons for the Little Ice Age is quite a challenge.
    http://jrscience.wcp.muohio.edu/Weat...asitbigen.html


    Barbarian asks:
    How do stronger hurricanes, a drier climate in the American West, and depleted water supplies mean we're moving toward an optimum?

    They don't,
    Right.

    neither do hurricanes and overuse of potable water supplies indicate that there is anthropogenic global warming.
    Stronger hurricanes are a prediction of global warming. And the drier conditions in the west are also.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  19. #60
    TOL Legend Angel4Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    Posts
    17,123
    Thanks
    26,802
    Thanked 18,683 Times in 11,873 Posts

    Blog Entries
    52
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147737

    "Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson
    Proverbs 3:5-8

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

    James36 (December 6th, 2017),Tambora (November 30th, 2017)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us