User Tag List

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 212829303132 LastLast

Thread: What if climate change is real and human caused--what should Christians do about it?

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Christianity in general teaches its followers to take care of the environment, then it's clear that Christians will have to find ways to minimize the effects of climate change.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ralfy For Your Post:

patrick jane (July 31st, 2019)

TOL Legend
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,180 Times in 7,566 Posts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Simple - turn up the air conditioning

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (July 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ralfy View Post
    Since Christianity in general teaches its followers to take care of the environment, then it's clear that Christians will have to find ways to minimize the effects of climate change.
    Thanks ralfy. Do you think there are moral and immoral ways to do it?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Derf For Your Post:

patrick jane (July 31st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,402 Times in 2,306 Posts

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Persoanlly, I seriously doubt mankind can breech the boundaries GOD has ordained.
    It is GOD that controls the course and boundaries of the cosmos and creates the paths of the elements that cause the seasons.
    To put it bluntly, I do not believe mankind has the capacity to change the course of the seasons that GOD Himself established the boundaries of.
    Israel was a "land of milk and honey." Rome cut down forests, abused the land and created a semi-desert. Men also did that to the "fertile crescent" of Mesopotamia (Iraq). Israel, for decades, has been converting the land back to its Biblical condition.

So clearly the stewardship God gave man was an effective one.
    This message is hidden because ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

Alate_One (September 13th, 2019),Derf (August 24th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    Spoiler

Because it's a mountain? Falling out of the sky at 20000 ft/s?

NASA looks for rocks that are 0.14 km in diameter and larger---what if Mt. Everest is out there? How big would that be? It would be something like 16-20 km in diameter (figuring half of it's above ground and the rest is underground). 16-20 km vs. 0.14 km. 0.14 km was chosen because at that size apparently the devastation would be noteworthy, if it directly hits a city e.g.

What if Everest hits a city? Or, anywhere, really? Rock's specific gravity is close enough to 2.5, and an 18 km diameter sphere is about three trillion cubic meters, and a cubic meter is 1000 liters, and so each liter weighs 2.5 kgs, so Mt. Everest must weigh on the order of 75 percent of 10,000 trillion kilograms. The kinetic energy of it traveling at 20000 ft/s must be about 14% of a trillion trillion joules of energy, and a quick conversion equates that, where one trillion joules is 239 tons of TNT, 14% of a trillion times that, so about 33 trillion tons of TNT worth of energy at impact.

A megaton is 1000000 tons, and largest nuke ever detonated was something like 50 MT. That explosion broke glass windows hundreds of miles away from the blast. If Everest hits the earth, it will be like 666,000 of those bombs all exploding in one spot all in an instant.
    Spoiler

I've done all I can to paint the picture of what this will look like.

I don't want to arrange deck chairs on the Titanic. I don't mind figuring out how to turn them into lifeboats though. And I definitely do not give a speck of poop about bananas.

https://qz.com/1659566/nasa-nixes-hu...dly-asteroids/

Science guarantees it's going to happen. They can't say when, but they can say That. This link suggests they have only identified 1/3 of the total number of mountains way up there in outer space streaking around our neighborhood of our galaxy. They're obviously going to have a tough time with mountains that don't spend much time around us (like the 'cigar' shaped mountain, spotted in the past couple years).

I really, really don't care about climate change. But I'm not being irrational. I think that you are, and I think that everybody who thinks that the banana is worth the opportunity cost is also. The mountain will also change the climate. It will change the climate so much in the blink of an eye that whatever we do in the meantime to hopefully adjust the climate will be either nullified or accelerated so severely that it will not have mattered at all, which is why I'm drawing the parallel between this and arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

And all of the money that's going to change hands, and people who will be arrested, fined, sued, imprisoned, over climate change, not a single thing will matter once the mountain arrives, but we know that it will arrive one day, Science guarantees it. And, the same Science can't even say that we'd even have a day's warning beforehand either. We might have a century's warning, but also it could happen next week. Or anywhere in between. Or not for millions of years. Science cannot say.
    This article says it was "10 billion WWII atomic bombs" that extincted the former rulers of the earth, the dinos.

https://us.cnn.com/2019/09/10/world/...scn/index.html

I said it was 666000 "Tsar Bombas."

Tsar Bomba was 50000 kT.
    Fat Man was 20 kT.
    50000 /20 = 2500
    10 billion /2500 = 4 million.

Conclusion: I was way off!

But I was within an order of magnitude. Not bad since it's not even remotely adjacent to my vocation I guess.
    "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,358 Posts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The USA is a major power that has the highest percentage of believers in the Judeo-Christian God.
    The USA is the world leader in real environmental efforts.
    Therefore, Christians have already found ways to minimize the effects of pollution.

But, the anthropomorphic climate change hoax that claims we need to destroy the economy of the USA in order to do nothing to effect climate change keeps appealing to the mindless masses.
    Learn to read what is written.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

7djengo7 (September 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    The USA is a major power that has the highest percentage of believers in the Judeo-Christian God.
    The USA is the world leader in real environmental efforts.
    Therefore, Christians have already found ways to minimize the effects of pollution.

But, the anthropomorphic climate change hoax that claims we need to destroy the economy of the USA in order to do nothing to effect climate change keeps appealing to the mindless masses.
    Have you ever seen how much contribution to global pollution China is responsible for, all by themselves? I have not, but they are sure burning a lot of coal and petroleum fuel over there.

@Nee_Nihilo

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Idolater For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,402 Times in 2,306 Posts

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Technology may yet save us from some very rough times. I hope so.
    This message is hidden because ...

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Idolater View Post
    Have you ever seen how much contribution to global pollution China is responsible for, all by themselves? I have not, but they are sure burning a lot of coal and petroleum fuel over there.
    Then we should put all the blame for the climate change scare on the Chinese and stop trying to destroy the USA for something that is someone else's fault.

_____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

16. The Following User Says Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then we should put all the blame for the climate change scare on the Chinese and stop trying to destroy the USA for something that is someone else's fault.
    Probably.

@Nee_Nihilo

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Idolater For Your Post:

7djengo7 (September 13th, 2019),genuineoriginal (September 11th, 2019)

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verses about Global Warming from the Bible:

Isaiah 30:26
    26 Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the Lord bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound.

Revelation 16:8-9
    8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.
    9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

_____
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genuineoriginal For Your Post:

7djengo7 (September 13th, 2019),Stripe (September 12th, 2019)

Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,262 Times in 9,263 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verses about Global Warming from the Bible:

Isaiah 30:26
    26 Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the Lord bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound.

Revelation 16:8-9
    8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.
    9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.
    But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
    II Peter 3:7 NKJV
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

7djengo7 (September 13th, 2019),genuineoriginal (September 13th, 2019),JudgeRightly (September 13th, 2019),ok doser (September 13th, 2019),Right Divider (September 13th, 2019)

Over 1000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isaiah 51:6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.
    It's pretty plain from this text that the earth wearing out was foretold long, long ago.

I don't know who has seen the following study but it looks interesting to me. It demonstrates that earth's rises and falls in temperature is due to the variation in the output of sun and a large miscalculation in atmospheric pressure. This theory, if other scientists can repeat the results will blow anthropomorphic global warming out of the water.

The following link is to a downloadable copy of the paper. It was published in 2017.

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-acc...ture-Model.pdf
    “Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

“One and God make a majority.”
    ― Frederick Douglass

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
    II Peter 3:7 NKJV
    Over in Taiwan, do you get the air pollution /smog that pervades the Hong Kong /Shenzen /Guangzhou area, or are blue skies fairly common where you are?

@Nee_Nihilo

Toxic Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,262 Times in 9,263 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Idolater View Post
    Over in Taiwan, do you get the air pollution /smog that pervades the Hong Kong /Shenzen /Guangzhou area, or are blue skies fairly common where you are?
    Pollution.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

Thread Information