toldailytopic: Animal Rights. What rights (if any) should animals have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hope my wife makes some arroz con pollo this week. Care to join us?

:shocked:
:chicken:...

:chuckle: I'll join you for some arroz.

In all seriousness, though. I think animals have rights.

And lefts. Both of which are equally tasty when properly prepared. :turkey::cow::chicken::TomO:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They have the right to remain silent on my grill and get in ma belly.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Order two. If the first one fills you up, then you can just throw the second one away in a landfill while still wrapped up in its aluminum foil.
:shocked:

How can you say such a thing?!?!

I prefer a plastic bag. :plain:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dolphin doesn't sound appealing. I picture it being very lean and somewhat like Marlin in texture/toughness. On the other hand, dolphin should be consumed on principle alone.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dude, I´m sorry. What a waste of a non-renewable natural resource like aluminum.
Oh, I've nothing against aluminium. Except the American pronunciation of it.

ApologeticJedi

I don't know of "rights" is a good word. People have grievances. People have rights. A person can speak up for an animal, but "rights" is iffy to me.

Still - it is wrong to torture or mistreat an animal. It is our responsibility to, within reason, make sure that their ecological balance is maintained.

They are one of the greatest gifts given to man by the creator and we will be held accountable to our stewardship with them.

But as for food, clothing, and even reasonable testing; I see no moral restrictions against.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I do not think that animals have rights. (I'm not even sure humans have rights but that is a topic for tomorrow! Hint. Hint!)
Anyway, animals don't have rights but humans have obligations to treat the animals we keep humanely. This means that we do not subject the animals to unnecessary cruelty such as searing off chickens beaks or keeping animals so tightly penned together that they can barely move. When it comes time to slaughter the animal it is done as quickly and painlessly as possible. This means that I oppose the Kosher kill. Humanely means that we only keep the animals as pets that we can feed and that we feed our pets a healthy diet. We have taken them out of their natural environment so we must provide certain services to keep them healthy such as providing regular hoof trimming for horses.

Animals are a gift from God to us. Animals provide both companionship and food. We should use the gift that God gave us wisely and, as with any gift from God, treat it the appropriate respect.

Newman

Animals have the right to be comfortable while they wait for us to eat them. I'm not sure where that right comes from, but it just seems like common sense.

Nydhogg

Common decency. As in "not torturing stuff capable of feeling pain."

I'd say animals deserve a relatively comfortable life and a humane death. Whether we kill and eat them or not is irrelevant.

As for the more intelligent animals, like primates or cetaceans, those who can be argued to be sapient, I'd feel comfortable to granting them certain rights. Orcas and sperm whales form distinct cultures and languages. Keeping a creature capable of having a culture and a language as a pet for our amusement in an aquatic park seems sorta questionable.

So does performing horrible experiments on apes, which can be argued to be sapient and are PERFECTLY ABLE to communicate with us if they're taught a symbolic language.

Status
Not open for further replies.