Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should believe in God!

Shalom.

Today is Rishon, 8-23.

I just wanted to start this thread to say that you should believe in God!

Shalom.

Jacob
    John 1:40-41 NASB, John 1:49 NASB - 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are your thoughts about belief in God? Do you believe in God? You should believe in God.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all should believe in God. Believe in God! Do you believe in God? You should! You should believe in God!

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what God you believe in. Is your God a trinity? Is it the Father and the Son? Or is it what scripture tells us that YHWH alone is God. YHWH in English is traditionally translated as Jehovah. More recently Yahweh is the name some scholars prefer.

However, if you are a KJVonlyist, you have to believe that His name is Jehovah - Ps. 83:16, KJV.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should have been Psalm 83:18.

Is there any way to edit one's posts?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger 2 View Post
    It depends on what God you believe in. Is your God a trinity? Is it the Father and the Son? Or is it what scripture tells us that YHWH alone is God. YHWH in English is traditionally translated as Jehovah. More recently Yahweh is the name some scholars prefer.

However, if you are a KJVonlyist, you have to believe that His name is Jehovah - Ps. 83:16, KJV.
    That should have been Psalm 83:18.

Is there any way to edit one's posts?
    Shalom.

Do you know the Shema?

Shema Yisrael Yahveh Eloheinu Yahveh Echad.

Translated this is

Hear Israel Yahveh our God Yahveh is one.

A person can edit their posts on this site after they have made a certain number of posts, I believe.

Shalom.

Jacob

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jacob, I look forward to editing out all my bloopers.

Of course, the Shema is the keynote for the Jews (and real Christians).

Is. 37:16 is also notable: "O Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel, that sittest above the cherubim, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; thou hast made heaven and earth. - ASV.

And Is 64:8, "But now, O Jehovah, thou art our Father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand." - ASV.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jacob, I look forward to editing out all my bloopers.

Of course, the Shema is the keynote for the Jews (and real Christians).

Is. 37:16 is also notable: "O Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel, that sittest above the cherubim, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; thou hast made heaven and earth. - ASV.

And Is 64:8, "But now, O Jehovah, thou art our Father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand." - ASV.
    I am a Jew. I accept the TaNaKh and Matthew through Revelation. I accept Yeshua as the Messiah. Our Messiah. God's Messiah.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joh 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
    Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
    Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
    Joh 14:4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
    Joh 14:5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
    Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    Joh 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iamaberean View Post
    Joh 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
    Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
    Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
    Joh 14:4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
    Joh 14:5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
    Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    Joh 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
    I am glad that you shared this here.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jacob,

I notice that you use vav rather than waw. So where you would write YHVH, I would write YHWH. It's my understanding that waw is the earlier use, and vav is modern Hebrew. Is this your understanding?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacob,

I notice that you use vav rather than waw. So where you would write YHVH, I would write YHWH. It's my understanding that waw is the earlier use, and vav is modern Hebrew. Is this your understanding?
    Shalom.

No. And someone told me the Waw or YHWH is Aramaic. Are you asking if the vav received its name in the recovery of Hebrew? I do not know that either. The vav has a v sound.

Shalom.

Jacob

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "There is no real question that in Biblical times the ו was pronounced as W (as in west). .... But the shift to the V pronunciation has a clear analogy. In classical times, Latin V was pronounced like English W. The word for "I saw" was vidi pronounced as widi, not as vidi. But as time passed, pronunciation changed, so that in Ecclesiastical Latin it is now pronounced as vidi." - A Modern Grammar for Biblical Hebrew, by Duane A. Garrett.

"Most scholars agree that the ancient pronunciation of the letter was more like a 'W' and less like the 'V' that it currently represents in the Modern Hebrew language." - BIBLICAL ANTHROPOLOGY: Etymology of the Vav

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"There is no real question that in Biblical times the ו was pronounced as W (as in west). .... But the shift to the V pronunciation has a clear analogy. In classical times, Latin V was pronounced like English W. The word for "I saw" was vidi pronounced as widi, not as vidi. But as time passed, pronunciation changed, so that in Ecclesiastical Latin it is now pronounced as vidi." - A Modern Grammar for Biblical Hebrew, by Duane A. Garrett.

"Most scholars agree that the ancient pronunciation of the letter was more like a 'W' and less like the 'V' that it currently represents in the Modern Hebrew language." - BIBLICAL ANTHROPOLOGY: Etymology of the Vav
    When I read the Torah it is a Vav.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    When I read the Torah it is a Vav.
    That is certainly your prerogative. But the fact remains that those who originally wrote it pronounced it 'Waw.'

Thread Information