Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,264 Posts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffreeloader View Post
    I've never been to Scotland but I've seen some beautiful photography from there. The highlands are beautiful, even if they don't have the timber the American west has. However, I just gotta have trees around me. I went to Nebraska one time with a couple of friends of mine when they went home for Christmas vacation. They were telling me about this mountain that people skied down. We drove by it and it was what we would call a knoll out west as it rose only about 300 feet or so above the plain. As I remember it didn't have a single tree on it. That country was so flat and had so few trees I would have had a very hard time living there. I couldn't wait to get back to country that had variety to it.
    Oh, I'd need trees about, the only problem with Scotland is the cold...
    Well this is fun isn't it?

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Oh, I'd need trees about, the only problem with Scotland is the cold...
    Being that Britain and Scotland are on an island, is the cold a function of humidity and wind or fog, or is it a dry cold like we get here in the western US? I have always liked it when there is snow on the ground and the temperature gets down to 10 F or less and the sun is shining. It's brisk and the snow crunches under your feet, and to me it has always just awakened me and made me feel really alive. Normally that is accompanied by fairly low levels of relative humidity. However, a foggy evening at a couple of degrees above freezing, even with no breeze so no wind chill factor, will chill me to the bone in a hurry.

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,264 Posts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being that Britain and Scotland are on an island, is the cold a function of humidity and wind or fog, or is it a dry cold like we get here in the western US? I have always liked it when there is snow on the ground and the temperature gets down to 10 F or less and the sun is shining. It's brisk and the snow crunches under your feet, and to me it has always just awakened me and made me feel really alive. Normally that is accompanied by fairly low levels of relative humidity. However, a foggy evening at a couple of degrees above freezing, even with no breeze so no wind chill factor, will chill me to the bone in a hurry.
    Basically, the further North you go the colder the weather generally is so Scotland, and typically the further Northerly parts get the brunt of the colder weather fronts. Believe me, you would chill in a hurry over even in the Northerly parts of England when Winter kicks in if what you describe would chill you to the bone...
    Well this is fun isn't it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,343 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by musterion View Post
    Watch the video, read the article.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/488136...alid-caravans/

What's odd is not the story itself so much as how it's written.

1. No description of the arrested slavers. "Four Romanians and one person from Poland" were the slaves but not one of the six arrested are described and their faces are blurred. I wonder why.
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe the UK allows perp walks. It's considered prejudicial to the right to a fair trial in many countries to parade criminal defendants in front of cameras, which can result in actual censorship in the case that media outlets have the chance to photograph them. That's why you won't typically see criminal defendants identified before trial in a lot of cases.
    Global warming denialists are like gravity denialists piloting a helicopter, determined to prove a point. We may not have time to actually persuade them of their mistake.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by musterion View Post
    Tower Hamlets is where Muslim men systematically seduced and raped many, many girls. Not women, girls. This fact was known for a long time but was covered up by the British media and law enforcement until it exploded a few years back.

I suspect the slavers in this story are also Muslims. That's why their identities are not being released (as yet, at least as far as this article goes) and on that website wasn't even allowed to be discussed in comments...because that's the first question posters would have asked: Why are you concealing anything related to the identities of the arrested?
    You have a point. But, neither one of us know for sure what happened. You may be right, or I may be right. It's possible we're both wrong. We just don't have enough information to know the truth.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Basically, the further North you go the colder the weather generally is so Scotland, and typically the further Northerly parts get the brunt of the colder weather fronts. Believe me, you would chill in a hurry over even in the Northerly parts of England when Winter kicks in if what you describe would chill you to the bone...
    I went and did a little research on Scotland's climate. It looks to me as if there is high humidity with a lot of wind so it would feel really cold even if it was above freezing. Approximately 3 months of snow isn't extreme, and the lowest recorded low isn't anwhere near the lows I've seen.

The year I was born, not that I actually remember seeing it, was so cold the trees were exploding because the sap was freezing inside the trees and blowing them apart from how a liquid expands when it freezes. It got down to -60 F that year and stayed there for several weeks. My parents told me it would snow without a cloud in the sky as it was so cold any moisture in the air froze. I can remember seeing -40 to -50 F for a few weeks straight as a kid. That was one cold winter we spent in Drummond, Montana. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I've seen it cold enough when I was a kid that my dad actually built a fire under the oil pan on his pickup to warm up the oil enough so he could start the engine without running the main bearings in the engine dry of oil. I don't remember the actual temperature that year, but it was pretty dang cold.

Down there with them spiders musterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,938 Times in 8,791 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You have a point. But, neither one of us know for sure what happened. You may be right, or I may be right. It's possible we're both wrong. We just don't have enough information to know the truth.
    It'll come out. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'll bet I'm not.
    Not a single cluster of living fruit was, or ever will be, harvested from the tree of legality. Law can only produce “dead works,” from which we need to have conscience purged just as much as from “wicked works.”

C. H. Mackintosh

8. The Following User Says Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

Tambora (November 17th, 2017)

Thread Information