Thread: My first post...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first post...

Hello all from phoenix, Arizona USA.

I am a former Christian. Grew up in the reformed church and remained a believer until mid-twenties.

I was hoping I could gain some new perspective on some questions I have about the faith.

I know what my answers were when I was a Christian but now I am curious what some other answers from different believers might be.

1) Why are you a Christian?
    2) Do you believe the Bible is infallible? If so, Why?

Over 1000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymousTruth View Post

I am a former Christian. Grew up in the reformed church and remained a believer until mid-twenties.

I was hoping I could gain some new perspective on some questions I have about the faith.

I know what my answers were when I was a Christian but now I am curious what some other answers from different believers might be.

Welcome to TOL.

As a heads up, there is a variety of users here. There are crazies, people who claims God speaks to them, stubborn people who can't be swayed by logic, and people who seem to have conversations with themselves alone. But there are also many good users. Many who are interested in good discussion, intellectuals who enjoy conversation. So, don't let the few nuts ruin the snickers.

As for your questions;
    1.) I am a Christian because I believe all that Christ taught and did is true.

2.) the Bible, as a historical text, is the single most accurate archaic text. Internal and external evidence points to it being compared closest to events it describes, with accuracy, than any other archaic historical text.

As for being infallible, that goes to the simple question, posed by Christ, Himself. "Who do you say that I am?" If you believe all that He said and did, then it logically progresses to the Scripture being infallible. If you don't believe those things, then....you just don't.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Censorship is the height of vanity Rusha's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 2,620 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello ... I am a former Christian as well. Welcome to TOL.
    As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes."
    When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics."
    When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty
    -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.
    - ABRAHAM LINCOLN, letter to Joshua F. Speed, August 22, 1855

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,211 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am a Christian because God ordained it to be so from eternity from His own good counsel and not due to any foreseen merit on my part. Accordingly, the notion of "former Christian" is but a sad way to say one has never been a Christian at all, merely a professor of what he or she did not possess. No one gets themselves saved (Rom. 3:11); no one gets themselves lost (Eze. 36:26; John 6:39), for it is God who is working in those that He has set His preferences upon (Eph. 2:10) such that they will persevere to the end and their glory.

The faithful believer affirms that God is not the author of confusion, thus, when the truths of the full counsel of Scripture are known and proper interpretations are applied, Scripture is the sole rule of our walk of faith, for Scripture is completely true in all that it asserts or affirms, including matters of doctrine, morality, social, life, or physical sciences. God said it, I believe it. That settles it. (Psalm 12:6; Prov. 30:5; Matthew 5:18; 2 Tim. 3:16-17)

Welcome to TOL.

AMR
    Embedded links in my posts or in my sig below are included for a reason. Tolle Lege.

Do you confess?
    Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ask Mr. Religion For Your Post:

George Affleck (October 28th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi aT. Welcome to TOL.

If I may ask...
    You say you are a former Christian which, if true, means that you have come to the place of turning your back on Jesus and the Bible and moving forward in a new and different direction; specifically unbelief.

What is it about the Christian faith that impressed you so much that, having embraced unbelief, you want to open the door of belief again and have a peek inside? As a "former" Christian you shouldn't care about "the faith" at all.

To answer your questions:
    I am a Christian because I asked God to declare Himself to me in a way that I could not misunderstand; and He did.
    I believe that the Bible is God's infallible Word to fallen man because His spirit now speaks to my regenerated spirit that it is so. The words I used to read were dry and lifeless. The words that I now read have the unmistakable imprint of Spirit/Truth on them and are alive to all generations.

Faith is a gift. Ask for it and you will receive it.
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to George Affleck For Your Post:

glorydaz (October 27th, 2017)

Over 1000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first post.

To answer your questions:
    1) I am a Christian because I chose to follow Jesus Christ.
    2) I don’t believe the Bible is infallible, and I note that it never claims to be.

To expand:
    It is nice to hear that you, a former Christian, are still interested. If you left Christianity because someone told you that the Bible was infallible and you discovered that it was not, it may help to know that belief in the infallibility of scripture is not a requirement of following Jesus.

Thread Information