Thread: Explain Conservatism

LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 1,048 Posts

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    aCultureWarrior asks a non card carrying Libertarian to explain conservatism.

Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    Explaining anything to you always proves to be a huge waste of time.

There is no limit to your stupidity
    Then explain it to others that are following this thread.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 766 Posts

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    aCultureWarrior asks a non card carrying Libertarian to explain conservatism.

Then explain it to others that are following this thread.
    I've already posted in the thread. Anyone can ask me anything. They certainly don't need you as their spokesperson.
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WizardofOz For Your Post:

annabenedetti (November 10th, 2017),Arthur Brain (November 6th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 942 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. . .Ronald Reagan wasn't a conservative.
    . . .As Governor of California, Ronald Reagan was largely responsible for abortion, homosexuality and the break up of the family (no fault divorce) going mainstream. As President, he made no attempt to undo the incalculable harm that those acts did to America.
    Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...w_machine_guns
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Explaining anything to you always proves to be a huge waste of time.

There is no limit to your stupidity
    I wouldn't say, stupidity. I'd say it is his unwillingness to see beyond what he desires to see. He has a mind like a steel trap. It was sprung long ago, never reset, and nothing has been able to force it's way in since then.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 766 Posts

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffreeloader View Post
    I wouldn't say, stupidity. I'd say it is his unwillingness to see beyond what he desires to see. He has a mind like a steel trap. It was sprung long ago, never reset, and nothing has been able to force it's way in since then.
    It's a common theme.

I must apologize. You are correct in that stupid is not the best word to use.

Delusional is a more accurate word. @aCultureWarrior quite literally thinks that you and I are one person that has numerous sock accounts and uses them to talk to yourself on TOL.

Spoiler alert:

It's weird.
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WizardofOz For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (November 7th, 2017),Rusha (November 8th, 2017)

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a common theme.

Delusional is a more accurate word. @aCultureWarrior quite literally thinks that you and I are one person that has numerous sock accounts and uses them to talk to yourself on TOL.

Spoiler alert:

It's weird.
    ROFL. So you are Aaron? If so this is hilarious. Funniest thing I've had happen to me in a long time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ffreeloader For Your Post:

WizardofOz (November 8th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
    . . .Ronald Reagan wasn't a conservative.
    . . .As Governor of California, Ronald Reagan was largely responsible for abortion, homosexuality and the break up of the family (no fault divorce) going mainstream. As President, he made no attempt to undo the incalculable harm that those acts did to America.

Interesting. And to think that pseudo conservatives consider Ronald Reagan the modern day father of the conservative movement.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 797 Posts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ffreeloader View Post
    ROFL. So you are Aaron? If so this is hilarious. Funniest thing I've had happen to me in a long time.
    Yep, that's Aaron...whenever you get the time, find some discussion between them..it's classic.
    Contrary to what many Americans seem to think, the document we now call "the Constitution" and the Declaration of Independence are not pretty much the same thing or "connected in spirit," or "two sides of the same coin." The two documents were written by two different groups of people at two different times to accomplish two totally different goals.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to drbrumley For Your Post:

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,867 Times in 3,252 Posts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a common theme.

Spoiler alert:

It's weird.
    Shut up GFR7...

Well this is fun isn't it?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (November 10th, 2017),Rusha (November 8th, 2017),WizardofOz (November 7th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 797 Posts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rexlunae View Post
    Obviously, the reason I'm asking people on a forum is because I'm looking for a discussion. Someone who can explain the ideals, and respond to questions. Play the game or don't.

Also, I'm not sure any definitions more than a few months old would still apply.
    Since you asked, let me indulge you.

A Conservative is one who believes the Supreme Court, the president, the House, the Senate, governors, mayors and everybody else strictly follows the Constitution.

A Conservative rejects wars, except in defense of the land and the people. War is to be declared by both houses of Congress. Fighting an undeclared war is wrong, even if we fight to liberate them from bad guys.

A Conservative rejects Foreign aid. The Constitution does not provide for such arraignments.

A Conservative doesn't believe the Constitution is a living document. A conservative believes it is a contract between the States and the Federal Government. The States are the leaders, not the Federal Government. Under this heading, we have the issues of morality and justice. It is the states responsibility to legislate what is permitted in their own territory. Liberals and other authoritarians tend to see this as "states right's" vs. "Federal jurisdiction." So called "social conservatives" as our good friend ACW here, do not believe this to be the case.

A Conservative does not believe the federal government is authorized to provide welfare, health care, housing or education.

A Conservative believes in traditional values.

There you have my answer. Ask a question is your so inclined..
    Contrary to what many Americans seem to think, the document we now call "the Constitution" and the Declaration of Independence are not pretty much the same thing or "connected in spirit," or "two sides of the same coin." The two documents were written by two different groups of people at two different times to accomplish two totally different goals.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,545 Times in 2,103 Posts

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rexlunae View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You're not serious. Right?

But I'm serious. What are the principles? What are the ideals? It's not all personality and leader-worship, right? So, what is it about?
    I'd have reported this for trolling, had I seen it earlier. She gave you a brief answer. "Conservativism" is interested in 'conserving.' Nutshell: It desires to preserve and celebrate what is inherited and works. It is a group that is interested in the past, and not making the mistakes of it, so the only change it desires is that which compliments it.

So, why Trump? Because he espouses at least some of those values and promised to conserve them and cherish them as president. Is he the best thing since sliced bread? No, but the alternative was a vote of forgoing all tradition and values America espouses. That you don't espouse them? Clear by this and other statements you've made on TOL. Point? None. Trump will likely win the next election, not because he is the best, but because he IS the republican ticket and Democrats will be trying to continue usurping values attacked under Obama's reign. Those who are 'liberal' according to values and desires, such as yourself, will continue to look for a democrat in office. It is interesting, though the House, Senate, and executive offices are Republican; Democrats still think that the nation isn't opposed to this media-fed frenzy over attacking traditional values. I realize politics go further than such simplicities, but I do think essentially, this is the difference in elections, first of Obama and then with Trump.
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lon For Your Post:

ClimateSanity (November 7th, 2017),glassjester (November 8th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post

...So, why Trump? Because he espouses at least some of those values and promised to conserve them and cherish them as president.
    What values would those be? That innocent life is sacred? No, he signed legislation 3 times in his first 9 months in office to fund Planned Parenthood. Marriage? No, in his first weeks in office he said that "Obergefell v Hodges is the laws of the land" and hired a Supreme Court Justice that said the same thing.
    Trump has surrounded himself with lifelong democrats and pseudo conservatives.

What exactly is the flip flopper conserving and what good is it if he can't get the basics of conservatism right?

But he wasn't Hillary, right?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to aCultureWarrior For Your Post:

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 793 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
    - John Kenneth Galbraith

A conservative is a man who is too cowardly to fight and too fat to run.
    - Elbert Hubbard

A Conservative Government is an organized hypocrisy.
    - Benjamin Disraeli

Wealth, in even the most improbable cases, manages to convey the aspect of intelligence.
    - John Kenneth Galbraith

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill

https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/conservative
    Last edited by jgarden; November 8th, 2017 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What values would those be? That innocent life is sacred? No, he signed legislation 3 times in his first 9 months in office to fund Planned Parenthood. Marriage? No, in his first weeks in office he said that "Obergefell v Hodges is the laws of the land" and hired a Supreme Court Justice that said the same thing.
    Trump has surrounded himself with lifelong democrats and pseudo conservatives.

What exactly is the flip flopper conserving and what good is it if he can't get the basics of conservatism right?

But he wasn't Hillary, right?
    Er, even if Trump only signs in 1/2 as many conservative bills as he does liberal ones, it is STILL better than Hilary would have done. I realize Republicans candidates haven't been very good at championing Conservative ideals, 1) it hasn't been true for awhile and 2) they are the only ones where you can hope and pray that one with our values, might actually get into office. You are not going to get conservative values from liberal ones. I believe when you voted Democrat, you voted against your own values, unless you can come up with a few things Democrats have done lately that espouse your Christian ideals?

Lest we lose the forest for the trees, I was addressing One) the OP question about what Conservativism means and Two) how it played in Trumps election and support. My address to you is to explain why a Conservative should not have voted "liberal." If you voted for a more conservative candidate than Trump (pretty easy to do, if you stayed Republican), Kudos. -Lon

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

Thanks

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
    The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
    - John Kenneth Galbraith
    Ah, a broad-stroke pen. Got to love a democrat that enjoys oversimplifications and half-lies. Most Christians are conservative. Christians out-give our liberal counterparts by FAR. Galbraith lied. Lying is not a 'conservative' value. We try to live by truth (one of those things that we try to conserve). Are there Conservative career politicians that do not represent us well? Yes, yes there are.

A conservative is a man who is too cowardly to fight and too fat to run.
    - Elbert Hubbard
    Interesting, Democrats are more likely to blame genetics, including their own obesity than Republicans, who believe diet and exercise are important. See the tradition/liberal trends? Republicans have more guns than Democrats too, I'd hate to see the 'coward war' start.

A Conservative Government is an organized hypocrisy.
    - Benjamin Disraeli
    Better than "I was born this way" and "Be yourself." ' Hypocrisy' in this case, is aiming higher than you (generic) personally are, Mr. Disrael. Leave it to a Liberal to miss the forest and be happy with complacency?

Wealth, in even the most improbable cases, manages to convey the aspect of intelligence.
    - John Kenneth Galbraith
    Sounds like the have-nots envious of the have's. I've never thought someone richer than I, was smarter than I, just focused on things more.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill
    Ah, Mr. Mill, what a 'stu-...' ah, what an uneducated and unsubstantiated thing to say.

perhaps www.not-so-brainy-quotes? Part of the fake-news?

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lon For Your Post:

glassjester (November 8th, 2017),patrick jane (November 8th, 2017)

Thread Information