User Tag List

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 306

Thread: The Missing Links in the Fossil Record

  1. #1
    Over 3000 post club Sonnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,223
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 771 Times in 662 Posts

    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    55641

    The Missing Links in the Fossil Record

    Dr. Stephen Meyer and Dr. John Ankerberg explore the problems with neo-Darwinism, and the suddenness of the Cambrian Explosion.

    Is it sound argument or otherwise?


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonnet For Your Post:

    iouae (October 16th, 2017)

  3. #2
    Over 6000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,006
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 936 Times in 623 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    230328
    What do you think is the best argument against evolution in his video?
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  4. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,597
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnet View Post
    Dr. Stephen Meyer and Dr. John Ankerberg explore the problems with neo-Darwinism, and the suddenness of the Cambrian Explosion.

    Is it sound argument or otherwise?

    Within the first 20 seconds...

    ...Darwin's theory of evolution is presented in schools as an established fact rather than a theory...

    Stopped watching at that point. It's clearly aimed at morons.

    Stuart

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuu For Your Post:

    CherubRam (October 16th, 2017)

  6. #4
    Over 3000 post club Sonnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,223
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 771 Times in 662 Posts

    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    55641
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
    Within the first 20 seconds...

    ...Darwin's theory of evolution is presented in schools as an established fact rather than a theory...

    Stopped watching at that point. It's clearly aimed at morons.

    Stuart
    That's provocative.

  7. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,597
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnet View Post
    That's provocative.
    It's probably at least two logical fallacies as well.

    Stuart

  8. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,597
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 60 Times in 52 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Alright, I made myself watch it.

    I was right in my prejudice, it is made for morons.

    But here's one that respects the intelligence of its viewers:



    Stuart

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuu For Your Post:

    User Name (October 14th, 2017)

  10. #7
    Over 2000 post club
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    2,204
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 582 Times in 398 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    236926
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    What do you think is the best argument against evolution in his video?
    the music

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonahdog For Your Post:

    jsanford108 (October 14th, 2017),User Name (October 23rd, 2017)

  12. #8
    Over 1500 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,762
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 128 Times in 105 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    93956
    The original Dr John video was great and shows that evolution is built on a foundation of sand (or is that precambrian muck) and cannot explain the sudden explosion of complex organisms from most Phyla still extant today.

    The Economist video explained nothing, but had the same tired and irrelevant arguments that bilateral symmetry or eyes somehow speeds up evolution. But we want to know where those eyes and bilateral symmetry came from in the first place, and even more than that, where complex organisms with eyes and bilateral symmetry such as Trilobites, came from.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to iouae For Your Post:

    jsanford108 (October 16th, 2017)

  14. #9
    Over 3000 post club Sonnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,223
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 771 Times in 662 Posts

    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    55641
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
    Within the first 20 seconds...

    ...Darwin's theory of evolution is presented in schools as an established fact rather than a theory...

    Stopped watching at that point. It's clearly aimed at morons.

    Stuart
    It might also be a valid query. Nile Eldredge said this didn't he?

    We palaeontologists say that the history of life supports this interpretation (ie gradual change), all the while really knowing it does not.

  15. #10
    Over 3000 post club Sonnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,223
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 771 Times in 662 Posts

    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    55641
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    What do you think is the best argument against evolution in his video?
    The missing links.

  16. #11
    Over 3000 post club Sonnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,223
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 771 Times in 662 Posts

    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    55641
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    The original Dr John video was great and shows that evolution is built on a foundation of sand (or is that precambrian muck) and cannot explain the sudden explosion of complex organisms from most Phyla still extant today.

    The Economist video explained nothing, but had the same tired and irrelevant arguments that bilateral symmetry or eyes somehow speeds up evolution. But we want to know where those eyes and bilateral symmetry came from in the first place, and even more than that, where complex organisms with eyes and bilateral symmetry such as Trilobites, came from.
    And not just the Cambrian Explosion - the angiosperm big boom and the mammalian radiation.

  17. #12
    Over 3000 post club Sonnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,223
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 771 Times in 662 Posts

    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    55641
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    The original Dr John video was great and shows that evolution is built on a foundation of sand (or is that precambrian muck) and cannot explain the sudden explosion of complex organisms from most Phyla still extant today.

    The Economist video explained nothing, but had the same tired and irrelevant arguments that bilateral symmetry or eyes somehow speeds up evolution. But we want to know where those eyes and bilateral symmetry came from in the first place, and even more than that, where complex organisms with eyes and bilateral symmetry such as Trilobites, came from.
    Where did they come from iouae?

  18. #13
    Over 1500 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,762
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 128 Times in 105 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    93956
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnet View Post
    Where did they come from iouae?
    Hi Sonnet

    In your previous post you wrote "And not just the Cambrian Explosion - the angiosperm big boom and the mammalian radiation."

    Each "big boom" or "explosion" or "radiation" event where the curtain comes down on one group of plants and animals, and the curtain rises to reveal another, completely new biome - this is God the Creator, creating. This tells us what God does - He creates, and the fossil record is a record of what God has been doing over the last 5 billion years. And in the universe and stars, we see what God has been doing for the last 13.75 billion years.

  19. #14
    Over 3000 post club Sonnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,223
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 771 Times in 662 Posts

    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    55641
    Quote Originally Posted by iouae View Post
    Hi Sonnet

    In your previous post you wrote "And not just the Cambrian Explosion - the angiosperm big boom and the mammalian radiation."

    Each "big boom" or "explosion" or "radiation" event where the curtain comes down on one group of plants and animals, and the curtain rises to reveal another, completely new biome - this is God the Creator, creating. This tells us what God does - He creates, and the fossil record is a record of what God has been doing over the last 5 billion years. And in the universe and stars, we see what God has been doing for the last 13.75 billion years.
    Thanks. Is the criticism of the missing links that Meyer and others point to as problematic for neo-Darwinists as they suggest?

  20. #15
    Over 1500 post club
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,762
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 128 Times in 105 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    93956
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnet View Post
    Thanks. Is the criticism of the missing links that Meyer and others point to as problematic for neo-Darwinists as they suggest?
    I am not able to speak for neo-Darwinists, but it should be problematic for them.

    I blame Christians for not providing a credible and scientifically viable explanation for the record in the rocks. Evolutionists and Creationists are equally to blame for the ignorance out there. And the record in the rocks shouts one thing clearly. There has been massive creativity of living things in the past and present. And these arrive suddenly, and disappear suddenly, to be replaced by new, fully stocked ecosystems which are perfectly balanced. God should be getting the credit for all these marvels.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us