Thread: Gun Control

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 619 Posts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gun Control

Everyone believes in some form of gun control. I had created a thread on this topic a few years back but I am not able to locate it due to a purge and/or the current issue with the search function.

Are the current gun control laws too lax or too strict? If there were any changes you could make to the existing law, what would they be and why?

It is likely to be a hot topic given the violence in Las Vegas so let's discuss it...
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 619 Posts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most federal gun laws are found in the following acts:

National Firearms Act ("NFA") (1934): Taxes the manufacture and transfer of, and mandates the registration of Title II weapons such as machine guns, short-barreled rifles and shotguns, heavy weapons, explosive ordnance, silencers, and disguised or improvised firearms.

Federal Firearms Act of 1938 ("FFA"): Requires that gun manufacturers, importers, and persons in the business of selling firearms have a Federal Firearms License (FFL). Prohibits the transfer of firearms to certain classes of persons, such as convicted felons.

Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 (1968): Prohibited interstate trade in handguns, increased the minimum age to 21 for buying handguns.

Gun Control Act of 1968 ("GCA"): Focuses primarily on regulating interstate commerce in firearms by generally prohibiting interstate firearms transfers except among licensed manufacturers, dealers and importers.

Firearm Owners Protection Act ("FOPA") (1986): Revised and partially repealed the Gun Control Act of 1968. Prohibited the sale to civilians of automatic firearms manufactured after the date of the law's passage. Required ATF approval of transfers of automatic firearms.

Undetectable Firearms Act (1988): Effectively criminalizes, with a few exceptions, the manufacture, importation, sale, shipment, delivery, possession, transfer, or receipt of firearms with less than 3.7 oz of metal content.

Gun-Free School Zones Act (1990): Prohibits unauthorized individuals from knowingly possessing a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (1993): Requires background checks on most firearm purchasers, depending on seller and venue.

Federal Assault Weapons Ban (1994–2004): Banned semiautomatics that looked like assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. The law expired in 2004.

Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (2005): Prevent firearms manufacturers and licensed dealers from being held liable for negligence when crimes have been committed with their products.

Do these laws do too much or are they not doing enough?
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    Everyone believes in some form of gun control.
    The Second Amendment is an imprint of the human right to own and to carry weapons suited for a soldier, sailor, and marine. We have the right to keep and to bear weapons of war, carried by individual warriors. We do not have the right to own weapons that are not carried. And we do not have the right to own weapons that no military actually uses. .32 ACP comes to mind. A round fit for spies, but I'm not sure any military uses this round, nor the mouse guns that they go into.
    I had created a thread on this topic a few years back but I am not able to locate it due to a purge and/or the current issue with the search function.
    Here are two threads out there that touch on the topic.

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?76761-GUNS!
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...ing-optimistic
    Are the current gun control laws too lax or too strict?
    Both. Machine guns up to and including carry-able heavy-barreled belt-feds should be fully accessible, and carrying rifles should be fully legal, and mouse guns should be banned outright, and gun safety courses should be mandatory in public school curriculum.
    If there were any changes you could make to the existing law, what would they be and why?
    Because it's illegal to outlaw machine guns, because rifles are >10x more effective than any handgun, because mouse guns are unprotected by the Second Amendment and mouse guns account for a significant chunk of gun related violence, including accidental discharges, kids shooting guns, robberies, and suicides, and public schools should be federally required to teach gun safety because for cripes sake, this is America, and there are a lot of guns here. So teach kids about them!
    It is likely to be a hot topic given the violence in Las Vegas so let's discuss it...
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

"I think that's pretty good, considering, Julian."
    "No, it's not good."
    "I'm trying my best here!"
    "Well fine. But it's not really that good."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nihilo For Your Post:

WizardofOz (October 4th, 2017)

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Although the majority of Americans favour some common sense controls on guns, the NRA continues to hold the nation hostage!

Republican politicians have been AWOL when it comes to commenting on the Las Vegas shootings and what they are prepared to do to ensure there isn't a repeat!
    Last edited by jgarden; October 5th, 2017 at 02:31 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jgarden For Your Post:

Rusha (October 5th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,960 Times in 11,164 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgarden View Post

Although the majority of Americans favour some common sense controls on guns, the NRA continues to hold the nation hostage!

Republican politicians have been AOL when it comes to commenting on the Los Vegas shootings and what they are prepared to do to ensure there isn't a repeat!
    AOL?
    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -

Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a stupid picture! America is the NRA! We live here! Stop treating your neighbors like we're evil people censored!
    Your problem is the SCOTUS, which is why President Trump won in November, because he said he'd nominate a non-leftist judge.

And he did. So he's the odds-on favorite to win in 2020 unless he doesn't run, the way I'm seeing things.
    Republican politicians have been AOL when it comes to commenting on the Los Vegas shootings and what they are prepared to do to ensure there isn't a repeat!
    The only thing that would do anything, would be to repeal the Second Amendment and declare all civilian owned guns forbidden and illegal, and take them away.

There's nothing you can do with your made up common sense controls on guns, that would have stopped this rich and evil man from perpetrating this mass murder. He could have got his guns and done this deed just the same, no matter what made up and illegal common sense controls on guns Congress might put into unconstitutional law.

The only other thing that would do anything, would be for Americans to start carrying rifles instead of pistols. There are right now something like a million American civilians who carry a handgun regularly. You'd never know it to read the headlines, because what else could possibly come from a million non-LEO civilians carrying around deadly weapons everyday but carnage and blood running in the streets, so obviously that's not happening, I'd put the odds of something untoward happening with these million Americans in the 10,000-to-1 range.

If we start carrying rifles instead of pistols everywhere, then that could help things. That could have stopped this demon possessed censored out in LVNV, or it would have at least dropped the death toll from 60-to-6. One person with a rifle on the ground could have stopped that sooner, and that could have saved lives. Those people in that venue were denied their right to life, because they didn't have any rifles, but the censored on the 32nd floor did.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

"No, it's not good."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,188 Posts

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard someone say that the quickest way to more gun control would be to have the NFL protesters start standing with AR-15s instead of kneeling.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmoney For Your Post:

gcthomas (October 7th, 2017),Rusha (October 5th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    I heard someone say that the quickest way to more gun control would be to have the NFL protesters start standing with AR-15s instead of kneeling.

Because that's basically what's happened before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

Another Ronald Reagan anti-gun law.

"No, it's not good."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nihilo For Your Post:

kmoney (October 5th, 2017)

Over 2500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    The Second Amendment is an imprint of the human right to own and to carry weapons suited for a soldier, sailor, and marine. We have the right to keep and to bear weapons of war, carried by individual warriors. We do not have the right to own weapons that are not carried.
    How do you know there is such a "human right"? And how do you know that it is limited only to those weapons that can be carried?

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    How do you know there is such a "human right"?
    Because we have the right to live. It's implied by the Commandment Thou shalt not kill, if you want to root it in religion. Anyway, ergo, we have the right to live. And therefore we have the right to defend ourselves. And therefore we have the right to keep and bear arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    And how do you know that it is limited only to those weapons that can be carried?
    This is what the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America means by "the right to keep and bear arms."

"No, it's not good."

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's a stupid picture! America is the NRA! We live here! Stop treating your neighbors like we're evil people censored!
    Your problem is the SCOTUS, which is why President Trump won in November, because he said he'd nominate a non-leftist judge.

And he did. So he's the odds-on favorite to win in 2020 unless he doesn't run, the way I'm seeing things.
    The only thing that would do anything, would be to repeal the Second Amendment and declare all civilian owned guns forbidden and illegal, and take them away.

There's nothing you can do with your made up common sense controls on guns, that would have stopped this rich and evil man from perpetrating this mass murder. He could have got his guns and done this deed just the same, no matter what made up and illegal common sense controls on guns Congress might put into unconstitutional law.

The only other thing that would do anything, would be for Americans to start carrying rifles instead of pistols. There are right now something like a million American civilians who carry a handgun regularly. You'd never know it to read the headlines, because what else could possibly come from a million non-LEO civilians carrying around deadly weapons everyday but carnage and blood running in the streets, so obviously that's not happening, I'd put the odds of something untoward happening with these million Americans in the 10,000-to-1 range.

If we start carrying rifles instead of pistols everywhere, then that could help things. That could have stopped this demon possessed censored out in LVNV, or it would have at least dropped the death toll from 60-to-6. One person with a rifle on the ground could have stopped that sooner, and that could have saved lives. Those people in that venue were denied their right to life, because they didn't have any rifles, but the censored on the 32nd floor did.

According to the NRA and its supporters, any attempts to curb their efforts to hijack and take the 2nd Amendment to its "illogical conclusion," would place American democracy in jeopardy!

America shares 5525 miles of common border with another democracy (Canada), which over 150 years has somehow managed to establish and preserve its own democratic institutions and personal freedoms without the benefit of a 2nd Amendment.

Canadians have had since 1867 to come to their own conclusions as to the benefits/liabilities associated with the 2nd Amendment - coming to the conclusion that an American "gun culture" is counterproductive to promoting personal safety and has demonstrated no discernable role in preserving the nation's democratic institutions!
    Last edited by jgarden; October 5th, 2017 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because that's basically what's happened before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

Another Ronald Reagan anti-gun law.
    Interesting. So there is a precedent.

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone believes in some form of gun control. I had created a thread on this topic a few years back but I am not able to locate it due to a purge and/or the current issue with the search function.

Are the current gun control laws too lax or too strict? If there were any changes you could make to the existing law, what would they be and why?

I was surprised to hear that the GOP and NRA aren't completely shooting down the idea to restrict the bump stocks.

Maybe something will actually pass.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmoney For Your Post:

Foxfire (October 5th, 2017),WizardofOz (October 5th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 677 Posts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I was surprised to hear that the GOP and NRA aren't completely shooting down the idea to restrict the bump stocks.

It's low hanging fruit for gun control advocates and gun supporters in congress can get some mileage without restricting any actual firearms.
    It's a win-win as far as congress is concerned.
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5074777
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post4983551
    Elect a clown and you get a circus!
    if Trump had half a wit he would be a half wit if Trump had half a wit he would be a half wit if Trump had half a wit he would be a half wit if Trump had half a wit he would be a half wit

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxfire For Your Post:

kmoney (October 5th, 2017)

Over 2000 post club
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations ..."
    - NRA press release

They appear to be willing to support the restriction of "bump stocks" in exchange for legislation that would further other NRA goals !

Given that the purpose of "bump stocks" is to convert semi-automatic assault rifles to mimic fully automatic weapons, which are already prohibited by law, any agreement with the NRA would appear to be a "fools bargain!"

"Bump stocks" were legalized in 2010, presumably to allow disabled gun enthusiasts the ability to fire semi-automatic weapons.

The net result was that it converted a semis-automatic assault rifle that fired 60 rounds per minute to one with a firepower ranging from 600-800.

Congressional Republicans now find themselves in yet another dilemma of their own making - by doing nothing, they are condoning the right of other deranged individuals to legally access assault rifles with the firepower to kill/wound almost 600 men, women and chilren in less than 10 minutes.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-a...a3bd27769ad43a
    Last edited by jgarden; October 5th, 2017 at 05:33 PM.

Thread Information