User Tag List

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 288

Thread: Why do you say it's about race? What proof do you have?

  1. #31
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,127
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    436562
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Well, are you under the impression he was speaking against all blacks, or just against the one individual that did not stand for the anthem?
    It doesn't matter if he was speaking of one guy or a whole race of people.
    “But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to every one who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.” 1st Peter 3:15

    I find your lack of faith disturbing!

  2. #32
    Man O' War Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    46,987
    Thanks
    143,341
    Thanked 43,291 Times in 26,573 Posts

    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148121
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    A white man calling a black man is not a racist comment?
    Why would it be racists to call a black man black (of which there are several terms that can be used)?
    Or a white man white (of which there are several terms that can be used)?

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  3. #33
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,127
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    436562
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Why would it be racists to call a black man black (of which there are several terms that can be used)?
    Or a white man white (of which there are several terms that can be used)?
    ****** is not one of those terms we use to describe someone....a black man, brown man, African American all don't have the stigma attached like ******. I really cant believe I have to explain this.
    “But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to every one who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.” 1st Peter 3:15

    I find your lack of faith disturbing!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to drbrumley For Your Post:

    fool (September 27th, 2017)

  5. #34
    Man O' War Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    46,987
    Thanks
    143,341
    Thanked 43,291 Times in 26,573 Posts

    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148121
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    It doesn't matter if he was speaking of one guy or a whole race of people.
    If it was against the actions of an individual black person, and not ALL blacks, then how can it be racist?
    He didn't say all blacks are no good.
    He said that one individual black was no good BECAUSE of his actions, not because of his race.

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  6. #35
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,127
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    436562
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    If it was against the actions of an individual black person, and not ALL blacks, then how can it be racist?
    He didn't say all blacks are no good.
    He said that one individual black was no good BECAUSE of his actions, not because of his race.
    There is no reason to use the word period...
    “But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to every one who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.” 1st Peter 3:15

    I find your lack of faith disturbing!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to drbrumley For Your Post:

    fool (September 27th, 2017)

  8. #36
    Over 4000 post club WizardofOz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,555
    Thanks
    1,237
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 934 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1087712
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    Why would it be racists to call a black man black (of which there are several terms that can be used)?
    Or a white man white (of which there are several terms that can be used)?
    Calling a black man a "no good ******" is not the same thing as calling a black man a black man, your personal anecdotes of growing up aside.

    Do you think that "******" simply = black man with no default negative connontation?
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

    ― Theodore Roosevelt

    Identity politics are a dangerous form of idolatry

  9. #37
    Man O' War Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    46,987
    Thanks
    143,341
    Thanked 43,291 Times in 26,573 Posts

    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148121
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    ****** is not one of those terms we use to describe someone....a black man, brown man, African American all don't have the stigma attached like ******. I really cant believe I have to explain this.
    It has never been an issue for me where I live.
    The neighborhood I live in now has black, whites, and Mexicans.
    We all use the idioms for those groups, and we think nothing of it.

    Perhaps it would be more beneficial to suggest everyone live as me and my neighbors do, and not make more of it than what it is.
    Instead of trying to convince everyone that only monsters use those words.
    My neighborhood is pretty peaceful and we have fun together and help each other.


    I mean, when you get right down to it, ****** just means black person, just like cracker just means white person.

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  10. #38
    Over 4000 post club WizardofOz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,555
    Thanks
    1,237
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 934 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1087712
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambora View Post
    I mean, when you get right down to it, ****** just means black person, just like cracker just means white person.
    No, it doesn't...your personal anecdotes aside.
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

    ― Theodore Roosevelt

    Identity politics are a dangerous form of idolatry

  11. #39
    Man O' War Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    46,987
    Thanks
    143,341
    Thanked 43,291 Times in 26,573 Posts

    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148121
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    Calling a black man a "no good ******" is not the same thing as calling a black man a black man, your personal anecdotes of growing up aside.

    Do you think that "******" simply = black man with no default negative connontation?
    Calling a single black man a no good ****** is not the same as saying all black people are no good *******.
    He was upset at THAT man because of THAT man's actions, not because of THAT man's race.
    Big difference.
    A racist would have said all black people are no good, and not singled out the actions of one.
    Can you really not distinguish the difference?

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  12. #40
    Over 4000 post club WizardofOz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,555
    Thanks
    1,237
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 934 Posts

    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1087712

    Did the Definition of ****** Change?
    There is a widespread belief that the original meaning of ******, as defined in dictionaries, was "an ignorant person," and a related belief that current dictionary definitions describing its use as a hateful, racist epithet are a recent change. We do not know the source of those beliefs, but they are not accurate. The word was first included in a Merriam-Webster dictionary in 1864, at which time it was defined as a synonym of Negro, with a note indicating that it was used "in derision or depreciation." There has never been a definition like "an ignorant person" for this word in any subsequent dictionary published by this company. Nor do we know of such a definition in any earlier dictionary.



    Merriam Webster
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

    ― Theodore Roosevelt

    Identity politics are a dangerous form of idolatry

  13. #41
    Man O' War Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    46,987
    Thanks
    143,341
    Thanked 43,291 Times in 26,573 Posts

    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148121
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    No, it doesn't...your personal anecdotes aside.
    Then what does ****** and cracker mean to you?
    To me, it means black and white.

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  14. #42
    Man O' War Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    46,987
    Thanks
    143,341
    Thanked 43,291 Times in 26,573 Posts

    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148121
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    There is no reason to use the word period...
    Paul could have used any word, and it would still have only been about the actions of single individual and not a whole race (race as color).
    Since when did not liking the uncalled for actions of a single black person make one a racist against a whole race?

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  15. #43
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,127
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    436562
    It is still a word one does not use in any situation. TOL has banned the use of the word thru TOL censor for a reason....why is it they did that? Because it is a gross word to use period.

    I still cannot believe I am having to explain simple concepts like this.
    “But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to every one who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.” 1st Peter 3:15

    I find your lack of faith disturbing!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to drbrumley For Your Post:

    fool (September 27th, 2017)

  17. #44
    Man O' War Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    46,987
    Thanks
    143,341
    Thanked 43,291 Times in 26,573 Posts

    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148121
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post

    Edit: why does TOL auto censor the word ****** in the first place?
    I don't know.
    Cracker seems to print just fine.

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

  18. #45
    Man O' War Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    46,987
    Thanks
    143,341
    Thanked 43,291 Times in 26,573 Posts

    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148121
    Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    It is still a word one does not use in any situation. TOL has banned the use of the word thru TOL censor for a reason....why is it they did that? Because it is a gross word to use period.

    I still cannot believe I am having to explain simple concepts like this.
    I still can't believe you cannot distinguish the simple concept of the difference in hating what a single black man did compared to the whole race of blacks.

    I mean, if you can be racist against a single black man, but not all blacks, then I doubt anyone alive isn't a racist against someone.

    "The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name." Exodus 15:3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us