User Tag List

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 533

Thread: boycott the NFL

  1. #91
    Over 1500 post club nikolai_42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,602
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 678 Times in 425 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    383421
    Quote Originally Posted by Truster View Post
    Flag worship, national pride, professional sport and I'm just scratching the surface.

    Everything Daniel spoke was purposed in the eternal will. Daniel was intended to prosper in captivity and as a regenerate man he was as wise as a serpent and as timid as a dove. Chapter 9 onwards gives the reason for this prosperity.
    So how was Daniel saying "O King, live forever!" not idolatry by your definition?

    The way I read your response, it simply has to be acceptable because Daniel did it and he was predestined to do be what he was and he was highly favoured. But that doesn't benefit anyone coming after him because if someone today had given honor to a world leader - or shown respect to a national emblem - you deem that idolatrous of itself. Again, idolatry is in the heart. One man can pay respect during the anthem and commit no sin. Another cannot follow the crowd in doing so because he cannot have variegated loves. I get that. But standing out of respect need not dictate (nor even reflect) the thoughts of the heart.
    If God promises life, He slayeth first; when He builds, He casteth all down first. God is no patcher; He cannot build on another's foundation. - William Tyndale

    The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

    Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God.
    Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow.

    Isaiah 50:10-11

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to nikolai_42 For Your Post:

    ClimateSanity (September 26th, 2017)

  3. #92
    TOL Subscriber Foxfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,129
    Thanks
    835
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 677 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1814988
    Quote Originally Posted by heir View Post
    Nah. I'm not tuning in to see who stands, kneels or sleeps during the national anthem. I tune in because I like the game.
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post5074777
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post4983551
    Elect a clown and you get a circus!
    if Trump had half a wit he would be a half wit if Trump had half a wit he would be a half wit if Trump had half a wit he would be a half wit if Trump had half a wit he would be a half wit

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxfire For Your Post:

    Tambora (September 26th, 2017)

  5. #93
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Carmarthenshire
    Posts
    7,456
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 712 Times in 630 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    174127
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolai_42 View Post
    So how was Daniel saying "O King, live forever!" not idolatry by your definition?

    The way I read your response, it simply has to be acceptable because Daniel did it and he was predestined to do be what he was and he was highly favoured. But that doesn't benefit anyone coming after him because if someone today had given honor to a world leader - or shown respect to a national emblem - you deem that idolatrous of itself. Again, idolatry is in the heart. One man can pay respect during the anthem and commit no sin. Another cannot follow the crowd in doing so because he cannot have variegated loves. I get that. But standing out of respect need not dictate (nor even reflect) the thoughts of the heart.

    "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit."
    I know Him, correctly, as Messiah whom you call Christ. Yah Shua whom you call Jesus. Messianists who you call Christians.

    "Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm".

    I refuse, point blank, to speak peace to the unregenerate, hypocrites, religious dogma lovers and those that oppose the following statement:
    A regenerate man trusts in the evangelism of salvation conditioned on the atoning blood and imputed justness of Messiah alone.
    If you are fully persuaded, by experience, of this delightful, beautiful and life giving doctrine then I love you as a brother.

    Anyone who thinks that salvation is conditioned on anything a man thinks, does or says is atheist. I cannot and will not speak peace to him or her.

    I don't make statements online that I wouldn't repeat in front of my Maker, my grandmother or a judge.

  6. #94
    LIFETIME MEMBER Bright Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calfornia
    Posts
    7,671
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,789 Posts

    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1969377
    Hit them where it hurts. In the wallet!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

    Jim Elliot

  7. #95
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,668
    Thanks
    4,231
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,464 Posts

    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    682885
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolai_42 View Post
    John Lennon's dream is coming true right before our eyes. The individual in the ascendancy and those institutions which served to promote higher ideals being trounced. Who would have thought defending the need to honor the anthem and the flag (and all they stand for) would be considered divisive.
    You are another refreshing poster on here. Thank you for your contributions.

  8. #96
    Silver Member kmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A farm
    Posts
    10,362
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,284 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1159585
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolai_42 View Post
    John Lennon's dream is coming true right before our eyes. The individual in the ascendancy and those institutions which served to promote higher ideals being trounced. Who would have thought defending the need to honor the anthem and the flag (and all they stand for) would be considered divisive.
    You can attempt to defend the flag and anthem without doing it like Trump. The divisiveness is the way in which he did it. Defense of it doesn't require profane names and calls to have people fired.

  9. #97
    Silver Member kmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A farm
    Posts
    10,362
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,284 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1159585
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    He is disrespecting those in the military with his form of protest. He is disrespecting those who died for our country. The flag and the anthem are symbols our country uses to honor our country and the people who have fought to give us what only this country can offer. We are or used to be the freeist country in the world. People sacrificed their lives so that it would remain that way. The very least we can do to respect our country and the people who died for it is by respecting it's flag and it's anthem. Kaepernick may be protesting unfair treatment of blacks but he should not disrespect our flag and anthem and as a result our military and fallen soldiers to do so.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using TOL mobile app
    The flag is often used in military contexts but it isn't exclusively a military symbol. Neither is the anthem. If it was always supposed to be a symbol and honor for the military then why does the league do special events around Veterans Day? Maybe to you it's a symbol for the military but you don't own those symbols and other people want to use it for other purposes.


    Also, Kapernick even modified his protest in an effort to be less disrespectful to the military. Originally he sat on the bench but after talking to someone in the military he started kneeling so there was some level of deference paid. Yet people are still upset. There is no necessary connection between these protests and the military and no need to feel offended.

  10. #98
    Silver Member kmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A farm
    Posts
    10,362
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,284 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1159585

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.62bb265d4a4f

    A fire chief in Pennsylvania has apologized for calling Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin a “no-good n—–” because Tomlin and the team chose not to take the field for the national anthem before their game Sunday in Chicago.





    It's not about race they say. It's about the flag they say.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to kmoney For Your Post:

    WizardofOz (September 26th, 2017)

  12. #99
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,668
    Thanks
    4,231
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,464 Posts

    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    682885
    Why do you say it's about race?
    What proof do you have?

  13. #100
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,668
    Thanks
    4,231
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,464 Posts

    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    682885
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    The flag is often used in military contexts but it isn't exclusively a military symbol. Neither is the anthem. If it was always supposed to be a symbol and honor for the military then why does the league do special events around Veterans Day? Maybe to you it's a symbol for the military but you don't own those symbols and other people want to use it for other purposes.


    Also, Kapernick even modified his protest in an effort to be less disrespectful to the military. Originally he sat on the bench but after talking to someone in the military he started kneeling so there was some level of deference paid. Yet people are still upset. There is no necessary connection between these protests and the military and no need to feel offended.
    Are you really this dense???? You still don't have a clue.

  14. #101
    Over 4000 post club WizardofOz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,241
    Thanks
    973
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 770 Posts

    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1009789
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.62bb265d4a4f

    A fire chief in Pennsylvania has apologized for calling Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin a “no-good n—–” because Tomlin and the team chose not to take the field for the national anthem before their game Sunday in Chicago.



    It's not about race they say. It's about the flag they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    Why do you say it's about race?
    What proof do you have?
    How absolutely dense are you?
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

    ― Theodore Roosevelt

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to WizardofOz For Your Post:

    Rusha (September 26th, 2017)

  16. #102
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,668
    Thanks
    4,231
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,464 Posts

    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    682885
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    How absolutely dense are you?
    Not dense at all. You however are extremely dense if you think like kmoney

  17. #103
    Over 1500 post club nikolai_42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,602
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 678 Times in 425 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    383421
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    You can attempt to defend the flag and anthem without doing it like Trump. The divisiveness is the way in which he did it. Defense of it doesn't require profane names and calls to have people fired.
    I agree he was unnecessarily profane. But at some point division is necessary to see who is actually on what side. The frustrating thing is the league's own hypocrisy. They will fine those who wear unsanctioned tributes to fallen policemen but are okay with masses of its own players violating stated rules as to protocol when the anthems are playing? And when they responded to Trump's incendiary tweet(s), the first bit was about recognizing the American rights and freedoms, but the rest was about the NFL itself. I would say that not everyone is protesting the same thing, either. Nor has the league made it clear what is being said when its players protest (on league time). Remember what was on Kaepernick's socks when this all started (wasn't that divisive?).
    If God promises life, He slayeth first; when He builds, He casteth all down first. God is no patcher; He cannot build on another's foundation. - William Tyndale

    The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

    Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God.
    Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow.

    Isaiah 50:10-11

  18. #104
    Over 1500 post club nikolai_42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,602
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 678 Times in 425 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    383421
    Quote Originally Posted by Truster View Post
    Flag worship, national pride, professional sport and I'm just scratching the surface.

    Everything Daniel spoke was purposed in the eternal will. Daniel was intended to prosper in captivity and as a regenerate man he was as wise as a serpent and as timid as a dove. Chapter 9 onwards gives the reason for this prosperity.
    I won't categorically say I am clear of those sins. I certainly don't think I am. I am Canadian by birth and Canadians do not have a lot of patriotism when it comes to emblems like that. But seeing the rich history AND the natural (as well as spiritual) blessings that have attended the United States' formation and history cannot be gainsaid. One can certainly honor and respect a nation and its leaders without idolizing it. But part of my hope for the country is apart from the people. At this point I see very little redeeming about the nation. But I don't see evidence that it is totally abandoned by the One who superintended its formation. That is my only hope for it. As for sports, I think you possibly have a slanted view. I know soccer ("football") has Europe in its grip as many sports do the US. But I don't see enjoying watching as idolatry. I don't follow the players (know very few) and am lucky if I know the standings. But I have always enjoyed sports. If it has been an idol for me, it is no more. Of that I am convinced. I could take it or leave it. But it is now being used as a vehicle for furthering something that I believe is insidious beyond what is seen on the surface. I can take a fatalistic view and say it is all predestined in order to wash my hands of any involvement, or I can address the issues in what forum I have - where it seems appropriate. There are cracks appearing in every arena of life here now and this is just one of them.
    If God promises life, He slayeth first; when He builds, He casteth all down first. God is no patcher; He cannot build on another's foundation. - William Tyndale

    The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

    Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God.
    Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow.

    Isaiah 50:10-11

  19. #105
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,742
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 725 Times in 496 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    210994
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.62bb265d4a4f

    A fire chief in Pennsylvania has apologized for calling Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin a “no-good n—–” because Tomlin and the team chose not to take the field for the national anthem before their game Sunday in Chicago.





    It's not about race they say. It's about the flag they say.
    When people are angry, they tend to show us what they want to hide.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us