Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    It seems simple to me.

Jesus' instructions:

"In this manner, therefore, pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name.'" (Matthew 6:9)

I never did call my dad by his given name.
    But you knew his given name and if anyone asked who your father was you would use it yes? Kinda hard to return you to "daddy" or cash any check you got from him was signed "daddy"...your surname certainly is not "daddy"

note the instruction remains "hallowed be Your name" which does not necessarily mean never use it...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clefty For Your Post:

freelight (October 7th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 1,070 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course, on the other hand, it does not hurt to show respect to the Supreme Being.

Jesus instructed his followers to pray to our mutual Father.

And he prayed to our Father.

Paul said, "For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father'."

Jesus said, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

Glorify whom? Yahweh? Or Father?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    But you knew his given name and if anyone asked who your father was you would use it yes? Kinda hard to return you to "daddy" or cash any check you got from him was signed "daddy"...your surname certainly is not "daddy"

note the instruction remains "hallowed be Your name" which does not necessarily mean never use it...
    YHWH is not a name, it's a state of being.

Yahweh is not a biblical name, it's a spurious interpretation of existing.

Over 2500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He didn't build a house for His character or state of being or spurious interpretation of existence...

please don't take His Name in vain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to clefty For Your Post:

Over 2500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelight View Post
    Indeed, but what is most important to understand to a student of the Bible is the actual 'name' of 'God', first used by the hebrews, the one HE reveals and Identifies himself AS.

I had a thread some years back called 'The Mighty I AM Presence',....where I expounded on the 'name' of 'God' that indwells every soul, that divine presence and identity of God within, which the soul joins with in the co-creative and evolutionary process of becoming more 'god-like'. I also explore the 'name' of 'God' as revealed to Moses in Ex. 3:14, the 'I AM' (ehyeh asher ehyeh)...using that as a metaphysical mirror in which we engage and RELATE to 'God'. So, my study of the divine name is more metaphysical, esoteric, universal in nature, as it relates to religious studies, theology and personal experience of conscious existence. In my former thread I went thru the 'ascended master schools' teaching on the 'I AM Presence' but carry this forward into the context of that 'life' and 'consciousness' that permeates all, especially the divinity or seed of immortality in the soul.

Attachment 25963

Since I've delved back into research on the divine name, I may make a new thread on the subject as my own, since I've not made many new threads lately and have been adding to so many other threads, as to divert my focus and attention on some special subjects I'd like to further expand upon, as to preside and moderate over.

In general, and universally...if 'God' is the First Source and Center of all reality, then this God's NAME would indeed be most essential, fundamental and important to KNOW, understand, recognize. - this includes his primary name, its meanings, value, attributes, qualities, character, nature, etc. (secondary 'names' would be various appellations describing different aspects of his character, functions, features).

The abbreviated form of God's name in the OT, is 'YAH', - we praise 'God' in the word 'Hallel-yah!'. Of course 'God' is just a word, and is NOT God's name. The title 'Lord/lord' is also NOT God's name. So, its important, if at all interested, to LEARN what the best rendition or approximation of God's name IS. We would also note that a 'name' sometimes also describes the nature, character, attributes of the person, so may be more or less 'personal'. But we shall dive more into that later......
    I have come to believe His Name is a form of Onomatopoeia...that is the sound one makes during deep inhalation...it is telling that the first sound Adam makes is inhaling...thereby stating His creator's Name...Adam was given the task to name...for humans their use...his wife eve he called her was made from a bone that protected his ability to declare his Maker's name...(the rib protects the lungs) she was to help him declare His Name with every breath he took...HalleluYah...aaah...aaaaawesomeness the aaaah and awe of worship and understanding reason and pleasure...the awwww of compassion we inhale Him His spirit His

Add to this the "sha" root of salvation and you have Yahsha...His only begotten Son's name...ssshhh the sound of air exhaling...now we have the cycle...every time we breathe we say His Name...you declare your maker...and now you can do so with intention...aaaaahhhhsssshhhaaaaa

The breath of life...He breathed on the disciples...

El I Yah means god is Yah
    El I sha means god is salvation

Yah + sha

Yah became salvation at the birth of His Son yahSha...

Let all that have breath give praise...HalleluYah

We are not to kill as it removes the ability of Him receiving praise...
    We are not to take His Name in vain...that is breathe without purpose or intent

8. The Following User Says Thank You to clefty For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,137 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One night, long ago Jesus was facing a rather challenging situation.

What name did Jesus use?

"He went a little farther and fell on His face and prayed, saying, 'O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.'" (Matthew 26:39)

Jesus had enough respect for his father that he didn't address him by a personal name.

I see no reason we should not follow his example.

"Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, 'O My Father'..." (Matthew 26:42)

I suspect there is a word for father in every language so Hebrew is superfluous.
    Abba

- of course thru-out our discussion of the divine 'name', we could tote the ole "a rose is a rose by any name" card,....its all good. However,...if we are theists of any kind, and aspire to love 'God', then his 'name' (this includes all names, appellations, character traits, qualities and attributes) would be very important to us to know, emulate and embody, to also express those same qualities in our lives, giving glory to 'God'.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course, on the other hand, it does not hurt to show respect to the Supreme Being.

Paul said, "For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father'."

Jesus said, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

If God's name is indeed 'YHWH' (Yahweh), then 'YHWH' is our Heavenly Father's name, yes? Wouldnt you respect that name?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If God's name is indeed 'YHWH' (Yahweh), then 'YHWH' is our Heavenly Father's name, yes? Wouldnt you respect that name?
    Yahweh is a man-made word.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard God referred to by many names.

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~*~*~

Hi all,

One of the more modern translations, the Holman Christian Standard Bible restores and translates the 'tetragrammaton' in the scriptures in at least 500 passages - It renders God's personal name as 'Yahweh'. I have no problems with the rendering, although anyone with their own research can 'render' and 'pronounce' the divine name in a way that is most tenable to them.

So I commend this committee for at least attempting to restore the name.

However, there is now a new updated version just called 'The Christian Standard Bible'(CSB) and they have dropped using the divine name, and have went back to the traditional rendering of REPLACING the 'name' with the 'titles', 'LORD' or 'God', etc. I find this interesting, and it just seems to support some kind of aversion or conspiratorial veering of using God's name. I dont quite understand what all the fuss is over using God's name, when the scriptures encourage, command, instruct his NAME to be proclaimed, glorified, exalted, etc.

HCSB (wiki article)

As you may know, if you're not happy with many of the modern translations that leave out God's name, there are many 'holy name' bible translations out there.
    The e vowel in God's name causes it to be mispronounced.

Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard God referred to by many names.
    The true people of God also know and call upon His name.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CherubRam For Your Post:

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb It is a biblical name

'Yahweh' is certainly God's uniquely revealed NAME given to the Jews, his 'name' that is to be known to all generations, for all time, (eternal).... his special covenantal NAME. - it not only denotes his unique character, nature and quality of Being as the One True Deity of the Jews, as the Self-Existent ONE, The Generator of all world, Creator, ....but he claimed its his personal name, to be memorialized, honored.

Since Christianity's religious heritage and theology is rooted in the 'God' of the OT
    , I dont see how any Christian theist or even Christ-fiendly spiritualist (such as myself) could ignore or deny that YHWH is in fact, a 'biblical name'. (I of course explore and expound on all dimensions of the meanings and value of the name,....in its universal application).

I get the gesture towards 'debate' and 'creative dialogue', but some facts are pretty established

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by clefty View Post
    I have come to believe His Name is a form of Onomatopoeia...that is the sound one makes during deep inhalation...it is telling that the first sound Adam makes is inhaling...thereby stating His creator's Name...Adam was given the task to name...for humans their use...his wife eve he called her was made from a bone that protected his ability to declare his Maker's name...(the rib protects the lungs) she was to help him declare His Name with every breath he took...HalleluYah...aaah...aaaaawesomeness the aaaah and awe of worship and understanding reason and pleasure...the awwww of compassion we inhale Him His spirit His

Add to this the "sha" root of salvation and you have Yahsha...His only begotten Son's name...ssshhh the sound of air exhaling...now we have the cycle...every time we breathe we say His Name...you declare your maker...and now you can do so with intention...aaaaahhhhsssshhhaaaaa

The breath of life...He breathed on the disciples...

El I Yah means god is Yah
    El I sha means god is salvation

Yah + sha

Yah became salvation at the birth of His Son yahSha...

Let all that have breath give praise...HalleluYah

We are not to kill as it removes the ability of Him receiving praise...
    We are not to take His Name in vain...that is breathe without purpose or intent

Yes, some have made that observation that the divine name correlates to the breath, inhaling and exhaling....for Yah is LIFE (breath, spirit). Yahshua, Yahusha, Yeshua, Yehoshua (variations of spelling/pronunciation)....is indeed the Messiah-Son, the Arm of YHWH, the branch, the salvation of the LORD, Savior, Redeemer.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Abraham's God.................

Yahweh is a man-made word.
    Dont forget who you're corresponding with Jamie - I'm about as eclectic and liberal as they come on TOL

Thats fine to believe the above, but in the context of biblical integrity and some respect for the so called 'scriptures' (if you believe they're inspired more or less),...the above assumption would be rejected by a Bible believer.

Yes, all language is 'alphabet soup'
    . There is no reality outside of Consciousness itself, and all we can really ever know at any time...is OUR OWN EXISTENCE...which mirrors that One Universal Life and Consciousness that we call 'God' (add here any 'name' that is used to refer to 'God'). - because 'God' is the Source of life, being, consciousness. 'God' is the essence of life that reflects back to itself its own Awareness, its own Is-ness. - therefore our own 'existence' and God's existence coalesce as ONE. Life is an indivisible Unity (echad).

~*~*~

Let us see how important the name of the LORD is, and when its record began in some passages in the first few books of the Bible. -

We see in the beginning of the biblical record in Genesis, that YHWH was the 'God' being called upon even in pre-abrahamic times, and then with Abraham, before the burning bush encounter with Moses, so the tetragrammaton goes way back, before the revelation to Moses
    of YHWH also being described as "ehyeh asher ehyeh" ( I am, I will be) - this 'name' also includes the whole of all that 'was, is and is to come'....the 'identity' of DEITY itself, the Infinite, and INFINITY.

Genesis 4:25-26

25 Adam was intimate with his wife again, and she gave birth to a son and named him Seth, for she said, “God has given[a] me another child in place of Abel, since Cain killed him.” 26 A son was born to Seth also, and he named him Enosh. At that time people began to call on the name of Yahweh.

Genesis 12:7-9

7 Then the Lord appeared to Abram and said, “I will give this land to your offspring.” So he built an altar there to the Lord who had appeared to him. 8 From there he moved on to the hill country east of Bethel and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east. He built an altar to Yahweh there, and he called on the name of Yahweh.

Genesis 13:3-5

3 He went by stages from the Negev to Bethel, to the place between Bethel and Ai where his tent had formerly been, 4 to the site where he had built the altar. And Abram called on the name of Yahweh there.

- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    Now do NOTE, how important EARLY on in the biblical record where Yahweh's name (person, identity, character) was honored as 'God', particularly to Abraham, the Father of our faith, to whom the promises were entrusted, and thru whom we also receive the promise thru Yahshua the Messiah.

Since Abraham honored, built an altar and called upon the name of Yahweh, wouldnt you honor YHWH as well?

Thread Information