User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 105

Thread: Steve bannon on 60 minutes

  1. #46
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,759
    Thanks
    5,645
    Thanked 7,176 Times in 4,066 Posts

    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147708
    Quite by chance, following a link in another thread, I came across this, written by Catholic lawyer and professor of law Amy Coney Barrett, who's currently the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals nominee:

    Thus far we have been talking about the behavior of orthodoxCatholics in capital cases. But when people make sociological claimsabout who is a Catholic, or what Catholics think and do, they do notconfine their attention to the orthodox. One often reads in the popularpress about how many Catholics dissent from the Church's teachingabout contraception, abortion, divorce, homosexuality, or the ordinationof women." Some Catholics draw a more general conclusion fromthese particulars-that the Church's teaching is advisory rather thanauthoritative. Members are well-advised to consider it, but in the endthey are free to accept or reject it. This attitude about teaching is linkedto another about membership-that it is a matter of voluntary association. An individual is a Catholic in good standing if he says so. Theseattitudes about teaching and membership conflict with the Church's traditional understanding of itself, but they fit well with the American wayof thinking about religion as a free and democratic kind of enterprise.Envisioning Catholicism in this way severs the link between Churchmembership and belief about the death penalty...





    Which ties in well with an examination of Americanism in which one sees oneself free to discard papal teaching if it doesn't fit with the American political conservative worldview - one in which Catholic teaching often doesn't find a good fit. Of course, one can deride the Pope, ignore the bishops, and continue on a highly individualistic path of cafeteria Catholicism which ends up being more Protestant in nature than Catholic, sure. It happens all the time.
    So keep your candles burning
    "Nevertheless, she persisted."
    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (September 13th, 2017),Rusha (September 13th, 2017)

  3. #47
    Over 4000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    4,849
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 933 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    249919
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    And where did I tell you you couldn't, or say it was a "crime?" Such a mighty and dramatic straw man you build.
    You know exactly what I was talking about. This is another massive passive aggressive response from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    I've indulged you in your whimsy all the way through, never constraining you.
    To your credit, in all honesty. Not everybody---and I mean, almost nobody---can perceive such professional grade and superior quality passive aggression. It evokes within such an unaware negativity and stress, and that can lead to anger, but it is constantly misplaced, due to the professional grade, superior quality of the passive aggression; in that, it is undetected because it is undetectable. That's part of the nature of this type of passive aggression. The part of it when wielded by a perceptive and insightful aggressor that makes it even more effective, is the precision. It evokes precisely stress in its unaware victim, like a guided missile, hitting on target with no collateral damage.

    And so, I say to your credit in all honesty, because at least here we have an open and honest attempt to display passive aggression openly and honestly. Lee Atwater (President Geo. H.W. Bush's campaign manager) once said that professional wrestling was his favorite pastime, because it is so open about its dishonesty, and I appreciate that also.
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    You can use one you like better. While it's never happened that a pope has changed an article of faith, I wouldn't be surprised, for example, to see that some hundreds of years down the road we'll see married priests or women priests. That's a hypothetical, but also not outside the realm of possibility, and in the case of women priests it would indeed be a break in Tradition. There's some precedence for married priests, and married Anglican priests have converted into the Catholic priesthood, but it's not the rule.
    Red herring, the married priests part. Pope St. Peter was married. It's not an infallible teaching on the matter of faith or morals; it's a current Church discipline, one that she can right now thankfully afford to do, following St. Paul's scriptural advice (1Co7:32-33KJV ; 1Co7:35KJV), but there may be coming a time where the bishops feel that they must abandon that discipline, if the demand for parish priests exceeds the current supply; it's an economic decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Some of them don't, some see the pope as an anti-pope, some see VII as the evil work of satan in the church, some don't see the Novus Ordo as legitimate or its Consecration as valid. But just as rebellious are those who hold their own individualistic ideas about Catholicism, rejecting what the teaching magisterium of the Pope and the bishops instruct them in favor of their own personal interpretation of the CCC. It's a similar mindset.
    No it's not. It is very precise what is meant by a Catholic in full communion, one validly capable of celebrating the Eucharist. You must agree with the Church's infallible teachings in the matters of faith and morals (the CCC, and all of it), and have confessed any grave sins.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

  4. #48
    Over 4000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    4,849
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 933 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    249919
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Quite by chance, following a link in another thread, I came across this, written by Catholic lawyer and professor of law Amy Coney Barrett, who's currently the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals nominee:

    Thus far we have been talking about the behavior of orthodoxCatholics in capital cases. But when people make sociological claimsabout who is a Catholic, or what Catholics think and do, they do notconfine their attention to the orthodox. One often reads in the popularpress about how many Catholics dissent from the Church's teachingabout contraception, abortion, divorce, homosexuality, or the ordinationof women." Some Catholics draw a more general conclusion fromthese particulars-that the Church's teaching is advisory rather thanauthoritative. Members are well-advised to consider it, but in the endthey are free to accept or reject it. This attitude about teaching is linkedto another about membership-that it is a matter of voluntary association. An individual is a Catholic in good standing if he says so. Theseattitudes about teaching and membership conflict with the Church's traditional understanding of itself, but they fit well with the American wayof thinking about religion as a free and democratic kind of enterprise.Envisioning Catholicism in this way severs the link between Churchmembership and belief about the death penalty...
    All of which is an excellent reason to, when wondering what the Catholic Church thinks on a matter of faith or morals, simply crack the Catechism of the Catholic Church, find the matter in the index, and read. It's all well and good to poll Catholics, but there is the party line, and then there's what individuals individually (and perhaps illicitly, technically) believe, teach, and do.
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Which ties in well with an examination of Americanism in which one sees oneself free to discard papal teaching if it doesn't fit with the American political conservative worldview - one in which Catholic teaching often doesn't find a good fit. Of course, one can deride the Pope, ignore the bishops, and continue on a highly individualistic path of cafeteria Catholicism which ends up being more Protestant in nature than Catholic, sure. It happens all the time.
    Also the American political leftist worldview; see for instance the Church's teachings on the moral matter of self defense and the right to keep and bear arms.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

  5. #49
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,759
    Thanks
    5,645
    Thanked 7,176 Times in 4,066 Posts

    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147708
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    All of which is an excellent reason to, when wondering what the Catholic Church thinks on a matter of faith or morals, simply crack the Catechism of the Catholic Church, find the matter in the index, and read. It's all well and good to poll Catholics, but there is the party line, and then there's what individuals individually (and perhaps illicitly, technically) believe, teach, and do.
    If only you'd give the CCC's teaching on social justice more than a passing raspberry...

    Also the American political leftist worldview; see for instance the Church's teachings on the moral matter of self defense and the right to keep and bear arms.
    If only you'd give the CCC's teaching on social justice more than a passing raspberry...
    So keep your candles burning
    "Nevertheless, she persisted."
    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

  6. #50
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,759
    Thanks
    5,645
    Thanked 7,176 Times in 4,066 Posts

    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147708
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    You know exactly what I was talking about. This is another massive passive aggressive response from you.
    No, it's actually correcting your dishonesty. In a nice way.

    To your credit, in all honesty.
    Except you're not being honest.

    Not everybody---and I mean, almost nobody---can perceive such professional grade and superior quality passive aggression. It evokes within such an unaware negativity and stress, and that can lead to anger, but it is constantly misplaced, due to the professional grade, superior quality of the passive aggression; in that, it is undetected because it is undetectable. That's part of the nature of this type of passive aggression. The part of it when wielded by a perceptive and insightful aggressor that makes it even more effective, is the precision. It evokes precisely stress in its unaware victim, like a guided missile, hitting on target with no collateral damage.

    And so, I say to your credit in all honesty, because at least here we have an open and honest attempt to display passive aggression openly and honestly. Lee Atwater (President Geo. H.W. Bush's campaign manager) once said that professional wrestling was his favorite pastime, because it is so open about its dishonesty, and I appreciate that also.
    I like how you slid in that sideways mention of dishonesty at the end there. Very smooth.

    And I liked "massive passive" just because it sounds like the beginning of a good song and I especially liked "it is undetected because it is undetectable" because it made me chuckle.

    Anyway, I hope now that you've gotten all that out you can move on with a lighter heart.

    Red herring, the married priests part. Pope St. Peter was married. It's not an infallible teaching on the matter of faith or morals; it's a current Church discipline, one that she can right now thankfully afford to do, following St. Paul's scriptural advice (1Co7:32-33KJV ; 1Co7:35KJV), but there may be coming a time where the bishops feel that they must abandon that discipline, if the demand for parish priests exceeds the current supply; it's an economic decision.
    Actually, it's not. I noted the distinction between faith and discipline, and the exceptions to what is a longstanding rule. And I'm noting now that you didn't even touch on the concept of women priests, which again as I noted would be a complete break with Tradition.

    No it's not. It is very precise what is meant by a Catholic in full communion, one validly capable of celebrating the Eucharist. You must agree with the Church's infallible teachings in the matters of faith and morals (the CCC, and all of it), and have confessed any grave sins.
    We're talking about being of one mind with the Church, not whether one is in a state of grace. It appears to me that you're comfortably of one mind with the Church only where it aligns with your American individualistic conservative political views.
    So keep your candles burning
    "Nevertheless, she persisted."
    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (September 13th, 2017)

  8. #51
    Over 4000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    4,849
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 933 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    249919
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    And I'm noting now that you didn't even touch on the concept of women priests, which again as I noted would be a complete break with Tradition.
    And Pope Francis himself has already in his reign examined the matter, and said, I believe his words were, "That door is shut." 'Seems that male clergy comes right from the horse's mouth. Horse being, Christ Himself. As the archbishop of Boston said recently, something like, "If it were my Church, I'd ordain women, but it's not my Church."
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    We're talking about being of one mind with the Church, not whether one is in a state of grace.
    There is only one way to validly and licitly celebrate the Eucharist, and that is under the conditions I put forth, taken from the Catechism. Those who satisfy the conditions, and those only, are Catholics in full communion.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

  9. #52
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,699
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 709 Times in 487 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    202835
    What does God's quote-unquote "word," have to say, about what the Hebrews should do, to an alien, who commits sodomy or bestiality or some other gravely immoral sexual act?
    The same thing He told them to do when an Israelite did it. If you're asking me if we are told to not punish immigrants equally with citizens, then no, He isn't telling you that. Read it again:

    Leviticus 19:34 But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

    Treat them as you would your fellow citizens, God says. Do you agree?

    The act that's the point of marriage, and the act whose divine point is procreation? When it's crassly and inflammatorily debased, like sodomy, or censored? "What does God want us to do to LGBs?"
    God says that sin is between a man and God. I'll let God handle it as He says He will. Unless they involve someone who doesn't consent.

    It's pretty difficult to show Jesus had any concerns about that kind of sin; He had a limited time in His ministry on Earth, so He focused on things that He felt were most important.

    Maybe you should defer to His judgement?
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Rusha (September 13th, 2017)

  11. #53
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,699
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 709 Times in 487 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    202835
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    Do people have the right to do with their own stuff, what they want, or not? Do Americans have the right to not allow aliens to enter our territory, if we don't want to?
    That's what seems to have you so worked up. Americans are pretty solidly in favor of letting DACA kids stay. The fact that it would cause a recession if we suddenly removed them all, is a secondary factor. It is, for most Americans a matter of justice and morality. These kids didn't ask to be brought here. They were just carried in without a say. Now that America is what they know, it's immoral to ship them out, quite apart from the fact that it would hurt America to do so.

    Even many republicans get that, which is why there's no interest in Congress in forcing them out. It's why Trump backtracked; he'd like Congress to save him by letting them stay. That way he wouldn't anger the nazis and KKK by doing it himself.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Rusha (September 13th, 2017)

  13. #54
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,759
    Thanks
    5,645
    Thanked 7,176 Times in 4,066 Posts

    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147708
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    And Pope Francis himself has already in his reign examined the matter, and said, I believe his words were, "That door is shut." 'Seems that male clergy comes right from the horse's mouth. Horse being, Christ Himself. As the archbishop of Boston said recently, something like, "If it were my Church, I'd ordain women, but it's not my Church."
    I specifically placed that hypothetical years into the future, not in current times. And if a pope 500 years from now agrees with Cardinal O'Malley, then the pope will have spoken. Correct?

    There is only one way to validly and licitly celebrate the Eucharist, and that is under the conditions I put forth, taken from the Catechism. Those who satisfy the conditions, and those only, are Catholics in full communion.
    Whether on accident or on purpose, you're entirely missing the point. This discussion isn't about being in communion with the church (as opposed to being excommunicated). This is about having a Catholic mindset. Not a Protestant, individualistic, American political and social conservative appreciation for the Catechism of the Catholic Church - when it agrees with one's Protestant, individualistic, American political and social conservative mindset.
    So keep your candles burning
    "Nevertheless, she persisted."
    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Rusha (September 13th, 2017)

  15. #55
    Over 4000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    4,849
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 933 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    249919
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    The same thing He told them to do when an Israelite did it.
    That's right, and what was that?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    If you're asking me if we are told to not punish immigrants equally with citizens, then no, He isn't telling you that.
    I wasn't saying or hinting at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Read it again:

    Leviticus 19:34 But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

    Treat them as you would your fellow citizens, God says. Do you agree?
    Do I agree that this is what the ancient Hebrews were taught? Of course. Does it pertain to our discussion of whether it's moral or immoral to deport people who are aren't Americans from America? Of course not.

    And what, again, did God tell the ancient Hebrews to do to those who practice sodomy and other gravely immoral sexual acts? Do you agree with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    God says that sin is between a man and God.
    He said it was a sin between people in your favorite Hebrew scripture Leviticus.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I'll let God handle it as He says He will. Unless they involve someone who doesn't consent.
    So you won't even agree with what your Church teaches and believes about the morality of such depraved acts then?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    It's pretty difficult to show Jesus had any concerns about that kind of sin
    It's actually extraordinarily easy to do, since His own Apostles taught of the gravely immoral character of it, in the Christian Bible, and His Church teaches the same thing even today.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    ; He had a limited time in His ministry on Earth, so He focused on things that He felt were most important.
    And His Apostles too taught all that, and His Church teaches all that today also.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Maybe you should defer to His judgement?
    I am.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

  16. #56
    Over 4000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    4,849
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 933 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    249919
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    That's what seems to have you so worked up. Americans are pretty solidly in favor of letting DACA kids stay. The fact that it would cause a recession if we suddenly removed them all, is a secondary factor. It is, for most Americans a matter of justice and morality. These kids didn't ask to be brought here. They were just carried in without a say. Now that America is what they know, it's immoral to ship them out, quite apart from the fact that it would hurt America to do so.

    Even many republicans get that, which is why there's no interest in Congress in forcing them out. It's why Trump backtracked; he'd like Congress to save him by letting them stay. That way he wouldn't anger the nazis and KKK by doing it himself.
    So do we have the right, or not? You never answered. Why not?
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

  17. #57
    Over 4000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    4,849
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 933 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    249919
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    I specifically placed that hypothetical years into the future, not in current times. And if a pope 500 years from now agrees with Cardinal O'Malley, then the pope will have spoken. Correct?
    If he agrees that the Church belongs to Jesus Christ, and not to himself or to the bishops then, then of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Whether on accident or on purpose, you're entirely missing the point. This discussion isn't about being in communion with the church (as opposed to being excommunicated).
    Not being officially excommunicated, but being validly able to celebrate the Eucharist. Those who through disagreement with the Church's official teaching organ in matters of faith and morals, and/or through commission of grave sins without confession, are not Catholics in full communion with the Church.
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    This is about having a Catholic mindset.
    And what is that bugaboo, specifically?
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Not a Protestant, individualistic, American political and social conservative appreciation for the Catechism of the Catholic Church - when it agrees with one's Protestant, individualistic, American political and social conservative mindset.
    I can only guess that you're referring to me; fear not, as I accept the whole of the Catechism word for word, no less and no more, as only a person of the Book can. But there is room between those words for the logic that implicitly underpins and founds them all together.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

  18. #58
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,759
    Thanks
    5,645
    Thanked 7,176 Times in 4,066 Posts

    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147708
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    The CCC is helpful. But Catholicism didn't start there and it doesn't end there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    Actually it does end there, since that was the point, when Pope St. John Paul ordered it made.
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    No it doesn't, since a pope can come along 500 years from now and make a new pronouncement which could nullify previous teaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    And Pope Francis himself has already in his reign examined the matter, and said, I believe his words were, "That door is shut."
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    I specifically placed that hypothetical years into the future, not in current times. And if a pope 500 years from now agrees with Cardinal O'Malley, then the pope will have spoken. Correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    If he agrees that the Church belongs to Jesus Christ, and not to himself or to the bishops then, then of course.
    Then we agree that Catholicism didn't begin and doesn't end with the CCC, rather it rests on the three pillars of Scripture, Tradition, and the Magisterium.
    So keep your candles burning
    "Nevertheless, she persisted."
    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (September 13th, 2017),Rusha (September 13th, 2017)

  20. #59
    TOL Legend annabenedetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,759
    Thanks
    5,645
    Thanked 7,176 Times in 4,066 Posts

    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147708
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    This is about having a Catholic mindset.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    And what is that bugaboo, specifically?
    Here's one way it can be summed up (although at the risk of oversimplification):

    One cause of the bifurcation of Catholic viewpoints is the death of a collective Catholic mindset. Catholics no longer think like Catholics. They think like Republicans, Democrats, liberals, conservatives, socialists or secularists, but not as Catholics.



    Take that as you will from a currently non-practicing Catholic, which makes all of this kind of funny and ironic. I'm defending a faith I grew up in but don't currently practice from someone who would like to be fully Catholic - but seemingly only on his terms. I say embrace all of it or don't embrace any of it, which is why I can't in good faith say I do that myself at this time.

    I can only guess that you're referring to me; fear not, as I accept the whole of the Catechism word for word, no less and no more, as only a person of the Book can. But there is room between those words for the logic that implicitly underpins and founds them all together.
    You don't have to guess. I said as much in my previous post, while allowing for the fact that I can't know your heart, only how I perceive your thinking from your spoken words. There isn't room for Americanism in a fully immersed Catholicism. I say that only to provide a jumping-off point for your own study and research, if you're interested.
    So keep your candles burning
    "Nevertheless, she persisted."
    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (September 13th, 2017),Rusha (September 13th, 2017)

  22. #60
    Over 4000 post club Nihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The North & the West
    Posts
    4,849
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 933 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    249919
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Then we agree that Catholicism didn't begin and doesn't end with the CCC, rather it rests on the three pillars of Scripture, Tradition, and the Magisterium.
    I never said that it began with the Catechism.

    But your hypothetical 500 years hence, makes a great presumption. It wasn't until the 1500s that the Church first published her infallible teachings on matters of faith and morals, in the Roman Catechism. And then another 400+ years later we have today's Catechism of the Catholic Church. There's no reason to think that the Church will follow the same schedule going forward. In fact, there's great reason to believe that we're all done with revisions forever. The Second Vatican council dealt with the world in the wake of the Protestant Reformation from a vantage point unavailable in the 1500s, and IMO that's enough time to meld together her unchanging teachings in matters of faith and morals, with a post-Christendom and yet still Christian world.

    We witness for example her steadfast support for the separation between Church and state, and the human right of religious liberty, while still proclaiming that HE IS RISEN, and all that stems from that historical fact.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

    Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

    Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us