User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can trinitarians also be monotheists?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 937 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    An opinion not supported by scripture is just an opinion.
    And this is just an opinion too.
    You have posted no scriptures to prove your point.
    Post the scripture that says I have to post scriptures to prove a point. See? Your thinking is circular. That's logically fallacious.
    So you opinion is worth less than nothing to me.
    Thanks for your opinion.

We all have one.
    We all have the capacity for sarcasm too.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

Romans 10:9 (KJV) 1st Corinthians 15:14 (KJV)

Trevor: "I know how to drive, man."
    Ricky: "You also know how to be stupid."

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chair View Post
    I've had these discussions in the past.

From what I have seen, trinitarians do consider themselves monotheists. Yet to outsiders the idea appears absurd, and all of the semantic exercises given to support it just don't make sense. Often the discussion ends with somebody explaining that it is a mystery, and humans just can't understand it. Beameup has already said something along those lines.
    I have no trouble with the Trinity, either understanding Him or explaining Him. The difficulty is in those who refuse to accept Who He is.
    THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS RISEN. Matthew 28:6 (KJV) Mark 16:6 (KJV) Luke 24:6 (KJV)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 1,079 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had these discussions in the past.

From what I have seen, trinitarians do consider themselves monotheists. Yet to outsiders the idea appears absurd, and all of the semantic exercises given to support it just don't make sense. Often the discussion ends with somebody explaining that it is a mystery, and humans just can't understand it. Beameup has already said something along those lines.
    It's not a mystery, it's just people who don't accept NT scripture.

I've given scriptures that have been rejected.

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a mystery, it's just people who don't accept NT scripture.

I've given scriptures that have been rejected.
    So? I've given you scriptures that you've rejected, like those that positively identify who we know today as the Catholic Church with the Church who appears within the New Testament. That's been proven, with plenty of scriptures, and it is this Church who teaches the Trinity, and so we have firmer footing than any biblical argument for any position that defies what the Church from the Bible actually believes and teaches unambiguously and with full authority.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the589 View Post
    Maybe a wierd question but i'm really wondering this. Do you consider yourself a monotheist believing in the trinity? Or simply, do you as trinitarian believe in one G-d? And how do you explain this in relation to verses like Deuteronomy 6:4, Ephesians 4:6, Mark 12:29?
    I believe in the Trinity and ONE GOD.

A thing is defined by its dna. A peach tree has only peach tree dna, no cat dna. In the case of spirits, they are defined by their attributes which is analogous to their dna.

The Attributes of Divinity: (in short, ie, not limited to this list)
    - eternally existent, ie, not created nor ending
    - all knowing
    - all powerful
    - perfectly loving
    - perfectly righteous
    - etc.

If a being has the divine attributes they are Divine. The Father has these attributes and is Divine. The Son has these attributes and is Divine. The Holy Spirit has these attributes and is Divine.

It is also a characteristic of the Divine Attributes that any person with the divine attributes enjoys a total Unity with other persons that have the divine attributes, a unity that is so total that the word ONE is a perfectly proper description. Three divine persons in a Unity of ONE GOD.

Deut 6:4 Hear, H8085 O Israel: H3478 The LORD H3068 our God H430 is one H259 LORD: H3068
    ONE: Strong’s H259 - 'echad
    Strong’s Definitions
    אֶחָד ʼechâd, ekh-awd'; a numeral from H258; properly, united, i.e. one; etc…but also some (7x), miscellaneous (87x), one (number)

The DNA of physical things separates them from others while the Divine Attributes joins all with the attributes into a perfect Divine Unity.
    I Champion GOD’s holiness:
    - GOD did not need evil so did not create evil for any reason.
    - All evil is creature-created.

I Champion Our Free will:
    - All spirits created in HIS image had an equal ability and opportunity to choose either heaven or hell by their free will.

Over 2500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    I have no trouble with the Trinity, either understanding Him or explaining Him. The difficulty is in those who refuse to accept Who He is.
    What seems obvious to you is obscure to others. That doesn't necessarily mean that they "refuse to accept". It may mean that your concept just doesn't make sense to others. It certainly doesn't make sense to me. A concept that only believers can understand is a mystery...

Over 2500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttruscott View Post
    I believe in the Trinity and ONE GOD.

A thing is defined by its dna. A peach tree has only peach tree dna, no cat dna. In the case of spirits, they are defined by their attributes which is analogous to their dna.

The Attributes of Divinity: (in short, ie, not limited to this list)
    - eternally existent, ie, not created nor ending
    - all knowing
    - all powerful
    - perfectly loving
    - perfectly righteous
    - etc.

If a being has the divine attributes they are Divine. The Father has these attributes and is Divine. The Son has these attributes and is Divine. The Holy Spirit has these attributes and is Divine.
    So far, so good. Three cats have common DNA. So they are all cats, even though there are three of them. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all Gods, since all three have the essential divine attributes.
    It is also a characteristic of the Divine Attributes that any person with the divine attributes enjoys a total Unity with other persons that have the divine attributes, a unity that is so total that the word ONE is a perfectly proper description. Three divine persons in a Unity of ONE GOD.
    This is where the mystery comes in. Also, why don't the Roman or Greek gods fit into this scheme?
    Deut 6:4 Hear, H8085 O Israel: H3478 The LORD H3068 our God H430 is one H259 LORD: H3068
    ONE: Strong’s H259 - 'echad
    Strong’s Definitions
    אֶחָד ʼechâd, ekh-awd'; a numeral from H258; properly, united, i.e. one; etc…but also some (7x), miscellaneous (87x), one (number)
    "Echad" means exactly the same as "one" in English.

The DNA of physical things separates them from others while the Divine Attributes joins all with the attributes into a perfect Divine Unity.
    Here's that mysterious quality of divinity again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chair For Your Post:

the589 (September 14th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What seems obvious to you is obscure to others. That doesn't necessarily mean that they "refuse to accept". It may mean that your concept just doesn't make sense to others. It certainly doesn't make sense to me. A concept that only believers can understand is a mystery...
    OK, but Trinitarians claim to be monotheists, and non-trinitarians should respect that claim.

So you don't understand it, and call it a mystery. The words I'm using work, when I explain Him. You cannot show that they don't, because you're missing the forest for the trees.

Thread Information