User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 142

Thread: Separation gone too far - the making of a secular state

  1. #1
    TOL Subscriber Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,375
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,104 Posts

    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1723571

    Separation gone too far - the making of a secular state

    We really cannot have it both ways. A secular state is an atheist state. Many will boo and hiss but there is no such thing as trouncing religious rights without 'trouncing religious rights.'

    A good number of folks don't like this guy, Matt Walsh, but he says something here echoed by many Holocaust survivors and other Jews: A nation that trounces any show of religious expression is doomed to become a secular state. Many proponents in government and SCOTUS seek a United States without God in any of our expressions. We've been under attack after attack after attack. I include Matt's post in its entirety though some in spoiler:



    Matt Walsh: Kneeling to honor God is offensive but kneeling to protest America is heroic


    This is insane. I feel like I start every new post that way, but there is just so much insanity in our culture. Here’s the latest: a federal appeals court ruled against a high school football coach who was suspended for kneeling in prayer after games. His First Amendment rights were not violated, they declared, because the act of silently kneeling on a football field is oppressive to the people forced to witness it. The coach “took advantage of his position to impress his views upon the impressionable and captive minds before him.”
    Madness.

    Impress his views? Did he force them to pray beside him? Did he threaten to bench the starting quarterback if he didn’t profess Jesus Christ his Lord and savior? Or did he simply kneel and pray?
    If the slightest expression of personal spiritual devotion by a public employee is not allowed, does that mean orthodox Jewish teachers should be prohibited from wearing a yarmulke at work? Would the donning of a religious skullcap be tantamount to forcing Judaism on unsuspecting students? Perhaps we’ll get there eventually as we slide down this slope.

    Click the spoiler to continue reading
    Spoiler



    Of course, the argument is made that the people forced to witness this vulgar act of religious exhibitionism are the ones who’ve had their First Amendment rights infringed upon. This would be a great argument if only there was anything in the First Amendment guaranteeing our right to never see, hear, or otherwise encounter anyone else’s religious expression. But the First Amendment contains no such guarantee. Nor does it prohibit public employees from praying “in view of students and parents.” In fact, all it does is grant religious liberty to all citizens — be they public employees or private — and it states that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.
    This coach is not Congress. He’s not even a congressman. And by saying a prayer he has not made any laws. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the Schoolhouse Rock episode about how a bill becomes a law, but I’m pretty sure that a football coach can’t establish a state religion by kneeling on the grass.
    Besides, it’s obviously hypocritical and contradictory to a maniacal degree for any leftist judge to fret over public school staff “impressing their views on impressionable and captive minds.” That’s all that goes on at public school. All day, every day. Are we supposed to believe that a coach has no right to “impress on captive minds” by kneeling after a football game, but a kindergarten teacher is perfectly free to stage a transgender cross-dressing show for her 5-year-old students? Of all the biased, subjective, inappropriate brainwashing that goes on in our public school system, this is what we have to worry about? A guy saying a prayer?
    Madness.
    And you really can’t talk about this issue without noticing the most glaring contradiction of all. As many people have no doubt already pointed out, there is an interesting contrast between the reaction to this coach kneeling and Colin Kaepernick kneeling.
    The left has heralded Kaepernick as a hero for kneeling in protest of the national anthem. There have been protests and rallies held in his honor. He’s even going to be featured in the African American history museum as a hero of civil rights. And why did he kneel? To protest … something. America. The police. The Anthem. Whatever he’s trying to say, it’s beautiful. It’s courageous. He’ s exercising his First Amendment rights and sending an important message. Some team ought to give him a job no matter if he’s a mediocre talent who’d bring far more trouble than he’s worth. But that coach kneeling to honor God? No, he has no right. He’s a tyrant. A bully. Fire him.
    What if the coach had knelt in solidarity with Kaepernick? He’d still be expressing personal opinions and “impressing them on captive minds,” yet do we think the 9th Circuit would have ruled the same way? Do we think the left would treat him the same way?
    Well, we don’t have to speculate. A high school football coach knelt along with his entire team last year in a show of support to Kaepernick and his views. The coach “took advantage of his position to impress his views on captive minds,” yet the gesture was described as “powerful” and “extraordinary.” Another team took it a step further. They all laid on the ground with their hands up. Far more disruptive and demonstrative than taking a knee, but, again, we are meant to be moved and inspired.
    This is clearly not about the First Amendment or the Constitution. As with most things, what motivates one side of this debate is nothing more than their utter hatred of God. They loathe religion. They despise God. This is the only consistent thread you will find running through all of these stories. You can kneel to honor Colin Kaepernick but not God because, as far as the Left is concerned, God is not welcome here. And they are not making any attempt to hide it anymore.
    To see more from Matt Walsh, visit his channel on TheBlaze.
    We must stand firm against our government whenever it infringes upon our God-given rights. No government 'supposedly' by and for the people, can do this to those people. We need to stand up and say "No further! We will not allow the suing of a business over religious conviction over 'wants' vs. rights or needs. No, you do not have a right to a cake. No, you do not have a 'right' to tell a coach he cannot kneel after a game!" Does it mean a teacher can wear a Kippah, Yamaka, Turban, or feather headress? I'd rather see that than a secular state.
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

    Is Calvinism okay? Yep

    Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

    1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

    Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lon For Your Post:

    Angel4Truth (August 28th, 2017),Tambora (August 29th, 2017)

  3. #2
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    28,175
    Thanks
    13,106
    Thanked 14,335 Times in 11,404 Posts

    Blog Entries
    27
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147801
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    We really cannot have it both ways. A secular state is an atheist state. Many will boo and hiss but there is no such thing as trouncing religious rights without 'trouncing religious rights.'

    A good number of folks don't like this guy, but he says something here echoed by many Holocaust survivors and other Jews: A nation that trounces any show of religious expression is doomed to become a secular state. Every proponent in government is seeking a United States without God in any of our expressions. I include this post in its entirety:




    We must stand firm against our government whenever it infringes upon our God-given rights. No government 'supposedly' by and for the people, can do this to those people. We need to stand up and say "No further! We will not allow the suing of a business over religious conviction over 'wants' vs. rights or needs. No, you do not have a right to a cake. No, you do not have a 'right' to tell a coach he cannot kneel after a game!" Does it mean a teacher can wear a Kippah, Yamaka, Turban, or feather headress? I'd rather see that than a secular state.
    It's sad to see that more frequent attacks on Christianity happen all too often. I don't want a secular nation.
    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -


    Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

    Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

    Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -



  4. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick jane For Your Post:

    Lon (August 27th, 2017)

  5. #3
    Trainee
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    It's not an attack on Christianity. Back in Jefferson's day, the different denominations of Christianity were persecuting each other. That's why the state needs to be unbiased. The only way to do that is to keep it secular. Don't forget you want to protect the church from government corruption too

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to canis_lupus47 For Your Post:

    The Horn (August 31st, 2017)

  7. #4
    TOL Subscriber Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,375
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,104 Posts

    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1723571
    Quote Originally Posted by canis_lupus47 View Post
    It's not an attack on Christianity. Back in Jefferson's day, the different denominations of Christianity were persecuting each other. That's why the state needs to be unbiased. The only way to do that is to keep it secular. Don't forget you want to protect the church from government corruption too
    Not on this point. I don't want or need the government involved in deciding a coach cannot silently pray. It is NONE of their business. They have no authority to tell a man he cannot kneel or close his eyes. "What" he is doing after that is nobody's business. It wasn't interfering with the game (it was over) nor getting in the way of parents and their children. Secular judges have gone too far and it is time to say "No!" with a hand slap, and "You have no right our authority to make this decision for this nation run by and FOR the people. We are not your secular dictatorship subjects, you serve us, not the other way around."
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

    Is Calvinism okay? Yep

    Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

    1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

    Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lon For Your Post:

    Angel4Truth (August 28th, 2017),Tambora (August 29th, 2017)

  9. #5
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,742
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 724 Times in 496 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    210994
    God neither wants nor needs a government handout.

    The Founders specifically declared that the United States was not founded on Christianity for one very simple reason; they saw what it did to Christianity in Europe, and being predominately Christian, they wanted no part of it in their new nation.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    annabenedetti (August 29th, 2017),The Horn (August 31st, 2017)

  11. #6
    TOL Legend Angel4Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    Posts
    17,046
    Thanks
    26,356
    Thanked 18,258 Times in 11,527 Posts

    Blog Entries
    52
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147725
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    We really cannot have it both ways. A secular state is an atheist state. Many will boo and hiss but there is no such thing as trouncing religious rights without 'trouncing religious rights.'

    A good number of folks don't like this guy, Matt Walsh, but he says something here echoed by many Holocaust survivors and other Jews: A nation that trounces any show of religious expression is doomed to become a secular state. Many proponents in government and SCOTUS seek a United States without God in any of our expressions. We've been under attack after attack after attack. I include Matt's post in its entirety though some in spoiler:




    We must stand firm against our government whenever it infringes upon our God-given rights. No government 'supposedly' by and for the people, can do this to those people. We need to stand up and say "No further! We will not allow the suing of a business over religious conviction over 'wants' vs. rights or needs. No, you do not have a right to a cake. No, you do not have a 'right' to tell a coach he cannot kneel after a game!" Does it mean a teacher can wear a Kippah, Yamaka, Turban, or feather headress? I'd rather see that than a secular state.
    They leave off "may not prohibit the free exercise thereof. " people are afraid of being sued, so they cave.

    Money is their God (governments)

    I would love to live in a theocracy/all christian community

    "Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson
    Proverbs 3:5-8

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

    Tambora (August 29th, 2017)

  13. #7
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    28,175
    Thanks
    13,106
    Thanked 14,335 Times in 11,404 Posts

    Blog Entries
    27
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147801
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    God neither wants nor needs a government handout.

    The Founders specifically declared that the United States was not founded on Christianity for one very simple reason; they saw what it did to Christianity in Europe, and being predominately Christian, they wanted no part of it in their new nation.
    Wrong

    https://www.britannica.com/topic/The...ianity-1272214
    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -


    Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

    Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

    Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -



  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patrick jane For Your Post:

    Angel4Truth (August 28th, 2017),Lon (August 28th, 2017),Tambora (August 29th, 2017)

  15. #8
    TOL Subscriber Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,375
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,104 Posts

    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1723571
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    God neither wants nor needs a government handout.
    Nobody wants or needs a government handout. This is a 'hands off' discussion. "No SCOTUS, you do NOT have a right to infringe in ANY WAY, my rights that do not in ANY WAY infringe upon another's (actual, genuine) rights. That means "No cake." You have a right to my business perhaps, but not a right to a frivolity, a cake. No grocer is saying "no groceries." The Government is being inept. Lawyers are being inept and crossing lines between 'want' vs. 'right.' They have no idea that 'right' is and ever is about needs, not a desire for sugar they can get anywhere or make themselves. It is an attack. The SCOTUS needs to listen first, act later. They have been inept.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    The Founders specifically declared that the United States was not founded on Christianity for one very simple reason; they saw what it did to Christianity in Europe, and being predominately Christian, they wanted no part of it in their new nation.
    WRONG! Read the Declaration and try again.
    Last edited by Lon; August 28th, 2017 at 11:00 PM.
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

    Is Calvinism okay? Yep

    Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

    1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

    Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lon For Your Post:

    Angel4Truth (August 28th, 2017),patrick jane (August 28th, 2017),Tambora (August 29th, 2017)

  17. #9
    TOL Subscriber Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,375
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,104 Posts

    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1723571
    Another longer post so again some in spoiler:
    Court rules high school football coach cannot pray on the field
    Todd Starnes

    Coach vows to continue prayer fight after court loss
    A Washington state high school football coach who was punished for taking a knee at the 50-yard line for a post-game prayer violated the U.S. Constitution, according to the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
    A three-judge panel ruled the Bremerton School District was justified in suspending Coach Joe Kennedy after he took a knee and prayed silently at midfield after football games.
    Spoiler

    "When Kennedy kneeled and prayed on the fifty-yard line immediately after games while in view of students and parents, he spoke as a public employee, not as a private citizen, and his speech therefore was constitutionally unprotected," the 9th Circuit wrote.
    Kennedy, who served as an assistant coach at Bremerton High School from 2008-2015, was ordered to refrain from bowing his head, taking a knee or doing anything that could be perceived as praying on public school property.

    To be fair – it’s not like Coach Kennedy was conducting a Billy Graham Crusade at midfield. He would simply take a knee, bow his head, thank God for a good game and 30 seconds later – he went about his business.
    "An objective student observer would see an influential supervisor do something no ordinary citizen could do – perform a Christian religious act on secured school property while surrounded by players – simply because he is a coach," the judges wrote.
    The evangelical Christian was suspended in 2015 when he defied school officials and continued his post-game religious ritual.
    Kennedy was not rehired when his contract expired.
    "This is deeply disappointing to us," First Liberty Institute attorney Jeremy Dys said on The Todd Starnes Show.
    "The 9th Circuit believes they can ban all coaches from praying individually in public just because they can be seen," Dys said. "That is simply wrong. It is not American. And it is not the America contemplated by our Constitution."
    First Liberty Institute said they have not yet decided whether to appeal the ruling.
    "Now all coaches across the country stand under the prospect of being prevented from engaging in any outward displays of religion,” Dys told me. "That includes crossing yourself or even taking a knee to pray."
    That’s right, folks – not even Catholic coaches will be allowed to cross themselves in public, the attorney said.
    Welcome to the America that was fundamentally transformed by President Obama and his activist judges.
    It’s a nation where football players can take a knee to disrespect the flag, but a coach can’t take a knee to pray to the Almighty.
    If you go to the page, you can hear an extended FOX interview with the coach.
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

    Is Calvinism okay? Yep

    Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

    1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

    Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

  18. #10
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,742
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 724 Times in 496 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    210994
    Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    The Founders specifically declared that the United States was not founded on Christianity for one very simple reason; they saw what it did to Christianity in Europe, and being predominately Christian, they wanted no part of it in their new nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    WRONG!
    No, it's entirely correct. The Senate of the United States, composed of the statesmen and soldiers of the American Revolution, declared that the United States was not based on Christianity. Jefferson and Madison, who wrote the Bill of Rights, declared the necessity of a wall of separation between church and state. Madison specifically wrote what I told you; the history of established religion shows only evil and damage to religion.

    And the First Amendment very clearly grants freedom from religion and freedom of religion, subject only to the wishes of the individual citizen. As it should be under God who grants us the right to follow Him or not to follow him.

    Those are just the facts.

    Read the Declaration and try again.
    Two more facts, then:

    1. The declaration isn't our law; it's just a statement.
    2. Neither Christ nor Christianity are mentioned at all in the declaration. They could have been talking about Odin for all you read therein.

    Government religion isn't just contrary to American values. It's an affront to God.

    Edit:
    It is often puzzling to some people how so many of the founders were devout Christians and yet wanted no government involvement in religion. Aside from the fact that there were lots and lots of things they thought the government shouldn't be involved in, it remains true that they realized that Christianity suffered greatly in nations where it was officially established:

    Because experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of Religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution. Enquire of the Teachers of Christianity for the ages in which it appeared in its greatest lustre; those of every sect, point to the ages prior to its incorporation with Civil policy. Propose a restoration of this primitive State in which its Teachers depended on the voluntary rewards of their flocks, many of them predict its downfall. On which Side ought their testimony to have greatest weight, when for or when against their interest?
    James Madison, from Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  19. #11
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,742
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 724 Times in 496 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    210994
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    From your article:
    Although orthodox Christians participated at every stage of the new republic, Deism influenced a majority of the Founders. The movement opposed barriers to moral improvement and to social justice. It stood for rational inquiry, for skepticism about dogma and mystery, and for religious toleration. Many of its adherents advocated universal education, freedom of the press, and separation of church and state. If the nation owes much to the Judeo-Christian tradition, it is also indebted to Deism, a movement of reason and equality that influenced the Founding Fathers to embrace liberal political ideals remarkable for their time.

    Doesn't seem to help your position very much, does it?
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  20. #12
    STAND UP Tambora's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    43,144
    Thanks
    131,276
    Thanked 38,659 Times in 24,021 Posts

    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2148080
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    We really cannot have it both ways. A secular state is an atheist state. Many will boo and hiss but there is no such thing as trouncing religious rights without 'trouncing religious rights.'

    A good number of folks don't like this guy, Matt Walsh, but he says something here echoed by many Holocaust survivors and other Jews: A nation that trounces any show of religious expression is doomed to become a secular state. Many proponents in government and SCOTUS seek a United States without God in any of our expressions. We've been under attack after attack after attack. I include Matt's post in its entirety though some in spoiler:




    We must stand firm against our government whenever it infringes upon our God-given rights. No government 'supposedly' by and for the people, can do this to those people. We need to stand up and say "No further! We will not allow the suing of a business over religious conviction over 'wants' vs. rights or needs. No, you do not have a right to a cake. No, you do not have a 'right' to tell a coach he cannot kneel after a game!" Does it mean a teacher can wear a Kippah, Yamaka, Turban, or feather headress? I'd rather see that than a secular state.
    I recall reading in a news story about a man that was fined for fishing without a license.
    Rather than pay the fine, he decided to argue his own defense before the judge.

    His argument was that he was hungry, and that it was a GOD given right for mankind to forage for food, and that no government should have the authority to force a man to pay up or starve.


    I am one that thinks the government has given themselves authority over way too many things they should not have.

    God Bless America

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tambora For Your Post:

    Lon (August 29th, 2017)

  22. #13
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    28,175
    Thanks
    13,106
    Thanked 14,335 Times in 11,404 Posts

    Blog Entries
    27
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147801
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    From your article:
    Although orthodox Christians participated at every stage of the new republic, Deism influenced a majority of the Founders. The movement opposed barriers to moral improvement and to social justice. It stood for rational inquiry, for skepticism about dogma and mystery, and for religious toleration. Many of its adherents advocated universal education, freedom of the press, and separation of church and state. If the nation owes much to the Judeo-Christian tradition, it is also indebted to Deism, a movement of reason and equality that influenced the Founding Fathers to embrace liberal political ideals remarkable for their time.

    Doesn't seem to help your position very much, does it?
    The founders believed in God and the logical conclusion of seeking God is Jesus Christ.
    1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV - 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV -


    Colossians 1:13-14 KJV - Colossians 1:15-16 KJV - Colossians 1:17-18 KJV -

    Colossians 1:19-20 KJV - Colossians 1:21-22 KJV - Colossians 1:23 KJV -

    Colossians 1:25-26 KJV 27, 28, 29 - Ephesians 1:7 KJV - Ephesians 1:12-13, 14 -



  23. #14
    TOL Subscriber Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,375
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,104 Posts

    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1723571
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post

    No, it's entirely correct. The Senate of the United States, composed of the statesmen and soldiers of the American Revolution, declared that the United States was not based on Christianity. Jefferson and Madison, who wrote the Bill of Rights, declared the necessity of a wall of separation between church and state. Madison specifically wrote what I told you; the history of established religion shows only evil and damage to religion.

    And the First Amendment very clearly grants freedom from religion and freedom of religion, subject only to the wishes of the individual citizen. As it should be under God who grants us the right to follow Him or not to follow him.

    Those are just the facts.



    Two more facts, then:

    1. The declaration isn't our law; it's just a statement.
    2. Neither Christ nor Christianity are mentioned at all in the declaration. They could have been talking about Odin for all you read therein.

    Government religion isn't just contrary to American values. It's an affront to God.

    Edit:
    It is often puzzling to some people how so many of the founders were devout Christians and yet wanted no government involvement in religion. Aside from the fact that there were lots and lots of things they thought the government shouldn't be involved in, it remains true that they realized that Christianity suffered greatly in nations where it was officially established:

    Because experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of Religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution. Enquire of the Teachers of Christianity for the ages in which it appeared in its greatest lustre; those of every sect, point to the ages prior to its incorporation with Civil policy. Propose a restoration of this primitive State in which its Teachers depended on the voluntary rewards of their flocks, many of them predict its downfall. On which Side ought their testimony to have greatest weight, when for or when against their interest?
    James Madison, from Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments
    It was only in the 20th century that the Amendment went through 'reinterpretation.' It simply and narrowly prohibited Congress from making laws that infringed upon religious rights. Congress was the only restriction until a bunch of anti-religionists began in the early 1900's to attack religious liberty. Everson vs the Board of Education, by example, reinforced the wall of separation but the courts went too far in reactionary, though it was a well-meaning decision. They were trying to keep the inane attacks from coming into the court system, one of the very inane attacks this recent ruling is against. In this case, the judges were clearly anti-religious in their ruling and thus they made a decision that was atheist, NOT according to the Amendment. Sorry Barbarian, you lose this one. You are wrong.
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

    Is Calvinism okay? Yep

    Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

    1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

    Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

  24. #15
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,742
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 724 Times in 496 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    210994
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    It was only in the 20th century that the Amendment went through 'reinterpretation.'

    No, that's wrong, too. The Fourteenth Amendment applied the Bill of Rights to the states, preventing them from abusing the liberties of their citizens as well. That was in 1868.

    The intent of the Founders was quite plain; they wanted the government completely out of the religion business.

    And that's a very Christian position; God doesn't want government help.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    exminister (September 12th, 2017)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us