5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    10. UCF
    Poor, little UCF......

12-0, and no respect.

We'll see how they do against Auburn.
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,406 Posts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    Poor, little UCF......

12-0, and no respect.

We'll see how they do against Auburn.
    I hope they win, just on principle alone

Sent from my SM-G920V using TOL mobile app
    If any of my views seem to be strange or new to you, it is to be hoped that you will not close your mind to them, but will emulate the noble Bereans, and not only read and study the chapters would discuss, but will also search the Scriptures to see whether these things be so.

Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If college football were run like the NFL Alabama would still be in the playoffs, because they're good enough to compete. So would a few others worth seeing, like Ohio State.

Meanwhile, the Associated Press top 25 is out. The Top 10?

1. Clemson
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Georgia
    4. Alabama
    5. Ohio State
    6. Wisconsin
    7. Auburn
    8. USC
    9. Penn State
    10. UCF
    Point is, you have a set pattern. Win your division, you're in. Thr nfl adds 2 wild cards to make the top 2 seeds have byes. Under that criteria, Alabama is out.

If any of my views seem to be strange or new to you, it is to be hoped that you will not close your mind to them, but will emulate the noble Bereans, and not only read and study the chapters would discuss, but will also search the Scriptures to see whether these things be so.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,620 Times in 3,874 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    Point is, you have a set pattern. Win your division, you're in. Thr nfl adds 2 wild cards to make the top 2 seeds have byes. Under that criteria, Alabama is out.
    No, they'd still be in. The NFL has four wild cards with a shot at the big game. That's a sum of the top 12 teams. Alabama is in any way you look at it, unless you exclude all but conference champions.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alabama is in any way you look at it, unless you exclude all but conference champions.
    The selection committee took a lot of criticism last year by selecting Ohio State over Penn State.

Then when Ohio State got crushed 31-0, it made their selection look even worse.

I wonder if picking Alabama over Ohio State this year, was some sort of "revenge" at Ohio State for making them look bad last year?????????

Or, had they chose Ohio State over Alabama this year, and Ohio State got crushed by Clemson again this year, maybe people would accuse them of having an Ohio State bias?

IOW, maybe they were afraid of Clemson crushing Ohio State again in the first round.
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever the selection reason, one thing is certain. The Clemson vs. Alabama game will be the third straight year these teams meet in the CFP, with each winning the championship the last two years.

No matter how much one disagrees with the Alabama selection, watching the "rubber match" of these two teams should be a treat.

Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever the selection reason, one thing is certain. The Clemson vs. Alabama game will be the third straight year these teams meet in the CFP, with each winning the championship the last two years.

No matter how much one disagrees with the Alabama selection, watching the "rubber match" of these two teams should be a treat.
    I don't know about that...Clemson just seems alot better....Alabama was riding high, new OC and all....once teams finally figured him out, it started getting tough. The run game hasn't been good since Mississippi St. To many injuries at linebacker, although they will be back for the game.

My money is Clemson right now...@9/4 odds.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The selection committee took a lot of criticism last year by selecting Ohio State over Penn State.

Then when Ohio State got crushed 31-0, it made their selection look even worse.

I wonder if picking Alabama over Ohio State this year, was some sort of "revenge" at Ohio State for making them look bad last year?????????

Or, had they chose Ohio State over Alabama this year, and Ohio State got crushed by Clemson again this year, maybe people would accuse them of having an Ohio State bias?

IOW, maybe they were afraid of Clemson crushing Ohio State again in the first round.
    Maybe, but is that the reason the AP has Bama ranked fourth? Or the FPI and SOR both putting the Tide soundly within the top four? Look, I'm not saying we're fielding the next National Championship team this year. I'd like to have our LBs back in the mix. I'd rather have an angry team looking in from the outside going into next year, but given the chance to compete this team will compete. No one, not even the momentarily great Tigers, made Alabama look bad. We did that to ourselves and still stayed in that game until late.

I think it should be a fun series of games. I have no solid idea of what will come of it.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no solid idea of what will come of it.
    An all SEC championship game (Alabama vs. Georgia) would really upset a lot of people.

Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An all SEC championship game (Alabama vs. Georgia) would really upset a lot of people.
    Including me. Esp when one team shouldn't be in there in the 1st place

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Hey, if they can get by Clemson and Oklahoma they'll deserve it and who cares? That's the point of a playoff, winners advance.

That said, I think all of this will help those of us who believe in an expanded playoff system. Eight teams, one extra week and everyone who belongs in the conversation will have their shot.

Pro-Life

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 974 Posts

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As a fan,

all I can say is
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Identity politics are a dangerous form of idolatry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WizardofOz For Your Post:

Town Heretic (December 31st, 2017)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The more I think about it, the more like the idea of having an 8 team playoff with the Power 5 Champs getting automatics and having 3 at large selections decided on by committee.

Dan Wetzel thinks the problem is worrying about conference championships and thinks seeding without that is the way to go. I like the championships because it can eliminate bias that's nearly inevitable in the alternative and suspect three at large bids would satisfy most. Take the conference champs then look at the top ten or so and take the next three top down.

Pro-Life

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

WizardofOz (January 1st, 2018)

Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I think about it, the more like the idea of having an 8 team playoff with the Power 5 Champs getting automatics and having 3 at large selections decided on by committee.

Dan Wetzel thinks the problem is worrying about conference championships and thinks seeding without that is the way to go. I like the championships because it can eliminate bias that's nearly inevitable in the alternative and suspect three at large bids would satisfy most. Take the conference champs then look at the top ten or so and take the next three top down.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to drbrumley For Your Post:

Town Heretic (January 1st, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    I think it would solve the problem. Championships should matter, but so should the eye test. Five and three should see the best playing.

Tomorrow's rubber match awaits.

Pro-Life

Thread Information