Thread: College Football 2017

Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,654 Posts

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The year is 2033 and Bama has lost 6 games but they still get voted into the college football playoff
    If any of my views seem to be strange or new to you, it is to be hoped that you will not close your mind to them, but will emulate the noble Bereans, and not only read and study the chapters would discuss, but will also search the Scriptures to see whether these things be so.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,712 Times in 4,458 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbrumley View Post
    This isn't about the Gators you dolt.
    Right. Back to this at the end.

Plain and simple, you guys couldn't win your own division, much less a championship
    You can't compete for a conference championship without winning your division, so beyond the division it's just an attempt to pile on an appearance. And within the division we had one loss to a team that beat then number one Georgia before winning against us, at home, with inarguably the worst Alabama performance of the year.

...Alabama doesn't deserve it this year.
    Doesn't deserve to compete? Of course they do. The case was made and they're in. The FPI agrees. The SOR agrees. And the committee agreed. The rest is noise.

And your same arguments can be used for a 1 loss Wisconsin... Town
    No, they can't (see: noted objective metrics).

The year is 2033 and Bama has lost 6 games but they still get voted into the college football playoff
    Yeah, this isn't about your being on the losing end of a Bama rivalry.

Good luck in the Rid-X Bowl.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,226 Posts

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And your same arguments can be used for a 1 loss Wisconsin...
    Yup. And at least we played for the conference championship.
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz View Post
    Yup. And at least we played for the conference championship.
    No, WoZ, they can't be. I've noted two different, objective metrics that place Alabama in the top four teams. Alabama had one of its poorer performances in the home of a team that, at that point and in full compliment beat two of the best teams in the country. They lost the rematch to Georgia because we took out an indispensable part of their offense and Georgia took advantage.

At full strength I'd argue for Auburn over my guys. I'd have rather Ohio State made the cut, gotten my guys mad and seen the field next year with our defense back at full strength, but OS wasn't robbed. Neither was Wisconsin. No one was saying Alabama didn't belong before the Auburn loss, but a lot of people with something to gain are trying to make the case because of that loss and reading it without any larger perspective.

I guess this is the part of the program where I effectively point to the scoreboard. FPI, SOR, Committee.

That said, I'd love to see an 8 team field. Maybe the past two years will open the door for that.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Right. Back to this at the end.
    Sure thing

You can't compete for a conference championship without winning your division, so beyond the division it's just an attempt to pile on an appearance. And within the division we had one loss to a team that beat then number one Georgia before winning against us, at home, with inarguably the worst Alabama performance of the year.
    SO WHAT??????? You didn't win your conference. You had your opportunity....and you lost.

Doesn't deserve to compete? Of course they do. The case was made and they're in. The FPI agrees. The SOR agrees. And the committee agreed. The rest is noise.
    It's all noise, even coming from you

No, they can't (see: noted objective metrics).
    So I see, all this is about is statistics. Now I understand.

Yeah, this isn't about your being on the losing end of a Bama rivalry.

Good luck in the Rid-X Bowl.
    This is about being a fan of college football...not being on the losing end of the Bama rivalry. Your made up assumption clouding your judgement. I can guarantee you if this was Florida, I would be saying the SAME EXACT THING. Win your conference.
    If any of my views seem to be strange or new to you, it is to be hoped that you will not close your mind to them, but will emulate the noble Bereans, and not only read and study the chapters would discuss, but will also search the Scriptures to see whether these things be so.

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Town, trying to make us all believe you can be a National Champion and cannot even win your conference..what a joke

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,226 Posts

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It should have been Ohio State because they were conference champ that didn't end season with a loss
    “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WizardofOz For Your Post:

drbrumley (December 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should have been Ohio State because they were conference champ that didn't end season with a loss
    My pick was USC.....They deserved it as well. My only sticking point with OSU was that loss to Iowa. I can't overcome that.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SO WHAT??????? You didn't win your conference. You had your opportunity....and you lost.
    And that's not the determiner. It's a factor.

So I see, all this is about is statistics. Now I understand.
    No, but they support the committee's decision.

Your made up assumption clouding your judgement. I can guarantee you if this was Florida, I would be saying the SAME EXACT THING. Win your conference.
    And if the facts were as they are I'd disagree with you.

Town, trying to make us all believe you can be a National Champion and cannot even win your conference..what a joke
    Time will tell. I know you can compete for one.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time will tell. I know you can compete for one.
    So can UCF....but not givin the opportunity.

This whole process stinks.

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just get rid of conference championships. I guess you can lose your last game and technically finish third in your conference and still make the playoffs.

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biggest underlying message of the CFB Playoff:

There is no reason to have conference championships

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alabama getting in the CFB playoff is exactly why I like the NFL better. No politics, no strength of schedule. No fluff. Win and you’re in.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Alabama getting in the CFB playoff is exactly why I like the NFL better. No politics, no strength of schedule. No fluff. Win and you’re in.
    If college football were run like the NFL Alabama would still be in the playoffs, because they're good enough to compete. So would a few others worth seeing, like Ohio State.

Meanwhile, the Associated Press top 25 is out. The Top 10?

1. Clemson
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Georgia
    4. Alabama
    5. Ohio State
    6. Wisconsin
    7. Auburn
    8. USC
    9. Penn State
    10. UCF

Pro-Life

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get rid of conference championships. I guess you can lose your last game and technically finish third in your conference and still make the playoffs.
    The Big 12 tried that last year, and because they did, they didn't get a team in the CFP.

So, this year they had a conference championship, and it almost screwed them. Oklahoma would have been in this year with no conference championship, but had they lost to TCU in their conference championship game, no team from the Big 12 would have made it to the CFP.

It's crazy.

Also, this is the third rear in a row, Clemson will play Alabama in the CFP.

However, because Clemson and Alabama play in the first round, we won't have a Clemson/Alabama championship game, like we have had the last two years......don't know if that's a good thing, or a bad thing.
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Thread Information