User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Mount Rushmores (Sports, Music, Politics, etc.)

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    If you don't love Stevie I'm just genuinely sorry to hear it. He had social conscience combined with a remarkable ear for melody, harmonies and integration of styles. He's probably the most copied and echoing in modern music among our choices.
    I like to be challenged. His songs seems like Paul's to me anyway. Silly love songs - Isn't she lovely, I just called to say I love you, you are the sunshine of my life. What am I missing?

I do like the funkiness of Superstition.

Where did he voice social conscience?
    Proverbs 17:19 Whoever loves a quarrel loves sin

Thanks
    Thanked 7,609 Times in 4,383 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by exminister View Post
    I like to be challenged. His songs seems like Paul's to me anyway. Silly love songs - Isn't she lovely, I just called to say I love you, you are the sunshine of my life. What am I missing?
    First, isn't she lovely is about the miracle and response to the birth of a child. Anyway, a lot of the cannon, from Superstition to Higher Ground from Living for the City to I Wish, he wrote across human experience. His love songs were pretty good too and I don't have your aversion to them.

I do like the funkiness of Superstition.
    A close cousin of that one, in terms of message and feel is You Haven't Done Nothing, which is a rejection of political rhetoric without action, as Superstition is a rejection of blind belief that enslaves. Village Ghetto Land is a head shaking look at the poverty and its impact in the inner city. Black Man rings the bell of minority contributions and a cautionary note. Higher Ground is a philosophical declaration in the face of what's swirling around him. Other songs with a social conscience include Jesus Children of America, Misstra Know it All, Have a Talk With God, Cash In Your Face, Race Babbling, It's Wrong (Apartheid) to name a few.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

exminister (August 10th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,944 Times in 8,391 Posts

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Khoury League Baseball:I stand alone, as a pitcher, on the mount, by myself, as I once struck out 17 batters, in 5 innings, which is the average # of chicks, by which brother, and honorable Mayor STP, strikes out, on a typical weekend night.
    Saint John W

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,574 Times in 13,015 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Comedians

6. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick jane For Your Post:

SaulToPaul (August 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,419 Times in 11,255 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by john w View Post
    Khoury League Baseball:I stand alone, as a pitcher, on the mount, by myself, as I once struck out 17 batters, in 5 innings, which is the average # of chicks, by which brother, and honorable Mayor STP, strikes out, on a typical weekend night.
    A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Enthusiasms.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Enthusiasms.

Last edited by musterion; August 10th, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
    Terence Mc Lean

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Four books I'd want with me if I was ever stuck somewhere for life.

My KJV with margin note space + a mechanical pencil with plenty of lead
    My Reference Passage Bible
    Hendrickson Topical Bible
    My bound copy of None But The Hungry Heart by Miles Stanford

Of course I'd do fine with just the first.
    Last edited by musterion; August 11th, 2017 at 06:14 AM.
    Terence Mc Lean

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

SaulToPaul (August 11th, 2017),Town Heretic (August 10th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,609 Times in 4,383 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I have to admit I never thought of books as a Rushmore, but why not?

Moving back to sports again, because it's a favorite of mine.

Mt Rushmore of NFL QBs

To me the answer depends on the context. Over all? At their peak? Given the same quality of team/coaching? I'm always noting that I think Brady is an all time great, but that his back ups looked like potential NFL stars whenever he went down and ordinary when they cashed that in elsewhere. For that reason I'll take Peyton in a close one between the two, trading Tom's hardware for Peyton's ability to make good players look better than they were. I'm going to split the Mt. Rushmores between 1980 and prior. Montana's ascension is the mark for the second grouping.

Montana: 40+k yds, 63% comp., 92 rating. The GOAT. Perfect in SBs, never threw a pick in one. Could have as easily won one or two in the two years he was exiled to KC. Beat eventual SB winner and usurper Steve Young in a head to head contest utilizing that lesser Chiefs team.

Manning: 70k yds, 65% comp., 96.5 rating. And that's with the last couple of year ungluing factored in. The best regular season qb is the knock, but until his rapid decline in the last year or so he was actually better, statistically, than Brady in both the regular and post season. Rallied to beat his rival with a broken instrument for a last hurrah to take that defense dominated Broncos to the SB where they rewarded him with a ring. Won ten and eleven games before the neck injury with a team that won two without him. Put up the same numbers in multiple systems.

Brady: 61+k yds, 64% comp., 97.2 rating. A winner's winner. Best system qb of all time. Athletic, driven. Great at rallying the troops late.

Brees: 66k yds, 67% comp., 94 rating. Has been ridiculously good on mostly not so good teams and took one that didn't belong there to a SB and a win. Unless Rodgers or Ben mount a challenge late, which is possible, I think Brees is the most underrated qb in modern history and that will be course corrected when the Brady/Manning glare recedes a bit.

Hon. Men.:
    Marino, best pure passer I've ever seen. Unbelievable release. Too good to give so-so teams draft picks and that was that. Won't crack the list now.
    Elway, largely on the talent you can't deny and what he managed to do when the tank was empty.
    Favre, the gunslinger who showed at 40 that there was untapped greatness that might have seen him solidly on Rushmore if he'd played within the game more early. You can argue it, but I don't see him knocking anyone out of the list.
    Rodgers, who I suspect is Brady plus but on the wrong team. Still time to pad his resume and challenge for the list with Elway.
    Roethlisberger, who just doesn't get the love he deserves for what he's done, and a lot of that goes to his off field antics and personality and a name no one can spell outside of Pittsburgh. While he's flirting with retirement now like Favre late, he is also in a position to flirt with the list if his team gets hot for a couple, which is possible.
    Warner, too thin and inconsistent a resume, but if he'd been able to start early? Who knows. A great big game player who was a couple of defensive plays away from being the first qb to take two teams to SBs and win.

Rushmore of pre 1980 QBs

Unitas, terrific winner and the best coach on the field until Peyton.

Starr, a lot like Brady. Got it done. Ran the system to perfection.

Graham, revolutionized play at the position and had legs to spare.

Bradshaw, the forerunner of Favre. Physical, confident, and made big plays for both teams on a regular basis.

Hon. Men. :
    Staubach, who led the league in passing four times, won two SBs and had a few years of national service taken from his potential. If he'd been able to play then who knows?
    Tarkenton, the most effective running qb the game has seen, except for Young.
    Baugh.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    I have to admit I never thought of books as a Rushmore, but why not?
    I don't follow sports. Other people did music but I don't listen to anything newer than maybe the past 25 years. Considered cartoons but then I'd have to list Clutch Cargo four times. Almost listed four sandwiches but that would make me sound fat.
    Terence Mc Lean

14. The Following User Says Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

Town Heretic (August 10th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 21,747 Times in 12,642 Posts

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, saint john, my batting average is much closer to .001
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    They can't compete with a real writer and grammar scholar
    You're too literal to get it.
    The New Covenant preceded the Old Covenant.

Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the coach comes up to lecture a picture when he's in a jam, is it considered a sermon on the mound?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,944 Times in 8,391 Posts

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaulToPaul View Post
    When the coach comes up to lecture a picture when he's in a jam, is it considered a sermon on the mound?
    Oh, you're now TOL's resident Rodney Dangerfield now, eh Gertrude?Why don't you email that Interloper goon, and tell him that you want to invite him to "comment" on the real (es)state of "Christendom," that is fracturizing the mission of "the church," and the 3 rules of real estate-land, land, land! I'd bet you'd get a real chuckle out of that, wouldn't you, squirt? Oh, good afternoon, moderator Sherman!! I was just commenting to brother Wallace STP, and our fellow chap Interplanner, how enjoyable it is to read a real writer/grammar scholar's splendid, refreshing comments on TOL!
    Saint John W

Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, you're now TOL's resident Rodney Dangerfield now, eh Gertrude?Why don't you email that Interloper goon, and tell him that you want to invite him to "comment" on the real (es)state of "Christendom," that is fracturizing the mission of "the church," and the 3 rules of real estate-land, land, land! I'd bet you'd get a real chuckle out of that, wouldn't you, squirt? Oh, good afternoon, moderator Sherman!! I was just commenting to brother Wallace STP, and our fellow chap Interplanner, how enjoyable it is to read a real writer/grammar scholar's splendid, refreshing comments on TOL!
    "ROFTL" and "IMO" that is hilarious, saint john

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You two are a regular Heckle and Jeckle.
    Terence Mc Lean

Thread Information