User Tag List

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 337

Thread: If God created...

  1. #61
    Over 4000 post club CherubRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,693
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 341 Times in 283 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    84530
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Moses used those words because they mean exactly what we think they mean. Exodus 20. God created everything in six days, and on the seventh, he rested.
    According to some, those words can be translated as plural. (Evenings and Mornings.Plural)That may be why the ancients said the creations days are epochs of time.

  2. #62
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by daqq View Post
    "God does not make brand spankin' new things that look old!"

    http://www.playjunkie.com/quizzes/1546?page=-1

    Sorry, don't mean any derailment whatsoever but couldn't help it!
    (Besides, it seems to lend credence to the OP suggestion in some strange way).
    Jesus turned water into wine. The wine was new but seemed as if old. It was mature wine. When Adam was created he was brand new but a mature man.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnArran For Your Post:

    daqq (July 31st, 2017),Derf (August 3rd, 2017),JudgeRightly (August 11th, 2017),steko (August 1st, 2017),User Name (July 31st, 2017)

  4. #63
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CherubRam View Post
    The age of the Universe is almost 14 billion years old, measured by the speed of light. The earth is much younger. The bible speaks of the creation days as epochs of time, not literal days.
    There is no compelling reason in the text to understand the days as anything other than literal. Evening and morning... the first day. Moses says in Ex 20 that in six days God made the heavens and earth and all that is in them...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnArran For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (August 11th, 2017),Rosenritter (August 10th, 2017),steko (August 1st, 2017)

  6. #64
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    Or is there rather the appearance of not so much age because...there is not so much? The fuzzy S shape of galaxies should actually be concentric circles with varying degrees of brightness if they are 14B.


    The normal meaning of the days in Gen 1 is the same as ours. There is only one other possible angle in the language that could allow other time, in the expressions of v2.

    But before we get to this, from 'all' that we know about heaven in the Revelation, etc., does God need physical things to exist?
    No. God existed before the material universe. He did not need to create to be happy. He was eternally happy in himself. He needs no one and nothing. To create was a sovereign choice.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnArran For Your Post:

    steko (August 1st, 2017)

  8. #65
    Over 4000 post club daqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olam Haba
    Posts
    4,276
    Thanks
    853
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 916 Posts

    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    210093
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArran View Post
    Jesus turned water into wine. The wine was new but seemed as if old. It was mature wine. When Adam was created he was brand new but a mature man.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I can go with that.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daqq For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (August 11th, 2017),User Name (July 31st, 2017)

  10. #66
    Over 4000 post club CherubRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,693
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 341 Times in 283 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    84530
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArran View Post
    There is no compelling reason in the text to understand the days as anything other than literal. Evening and morning... the first day. Moses says in Ex 20 that in six days God made the heavens and earth and all that is in them...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hosea 6:2
    After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence.

    2 Peter 3:8
    But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

  11. #67
    Over 4000 post club CherubRam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,693
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 341 Times in 283 Posts

    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    84530
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArran View Post
    Jesus turned water into wine. The wine was new but seemed as if old. It was mature wine. When Adam was created he was brand new but a mature man.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Someone changed that verse. The Old Wine is the Old Covenant, and the New Wine is the New Covenant.

  12. #68
    Silver Member 6days's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,976
    Thanks
    764
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,490 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    953679
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    If God created the earth and the universe with "the appearance of age", then what is the "apparent age" of the earth and the universe?
    The apparent age is about 6,000 years. It's not any different today than it was on the 6th day. God told Adam that Eve had just been created from his rib. Adam could have argued with God saying her apparent age is about 25 years. Or, Adam could believe Gid based on evidence of the the truthfulness of God.... and the evidence of his now missing rib.
    Without Genesis, absolutely nothing makes sense in all of Scripture.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6days For Your Post:

    Rosenritter (August 10th, 2017),steko (August 1st, 2017),Tambora (August 10th, 2017)

  14. #69
    Silver Member 6days's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,976
    Thanks
    764
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,490 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    953679
    Tbe verse in Peter is not telling you its ok to believe Joshua and the Israelites marched around Jericho for 7,000 years... nor is it saying God took 6,000 years to create. The verse is telli g us that God is patient waiting for people to turn to Himself.
    The days in Genesis are day / night periods ghe same as we now experience. The Hebrew context demands literal days... And the Gospel depends on no death, pain, suffering in our world until first Adam sinned.
    Without Genesis, absolutely nothing makes sense in all of Scripture.

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 6days For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (August 11th, 2017),patrick jane (July 31st, 2017),steko (August 1st, 2017),way 2 go (July 31st, 2017)

  16. #70
    Over 2000 post club
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 490 Times in 337 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    206620
    Quote Originally Posted by 6days View Post
    The apparent age is about 6,000 years. It's not any different today than it was on the 6th day. God told Adam that Eve had just been created from his rib. Adam could have argued with God saying her apparent age is about 25 years. Or, Adam could believe Gid based on evidence of the the truthfulness of God.... and the evidence of his now missing rib.
    But it is really about 13.8 billion years old.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonahdog For Your Post:

    jamie (August 1st, 2017),jsanford108 (July 31st, 2017)

  18. #71
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    844
    Thanks
    535
    Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    39407
    Quote Originally Posted by 6days View Post
    The apparent age is about 6,000 years. It's not any different today than it was on the 6th day. God told Adam that Eve had just been created from his rib. Adam could have argued with God saying her apparent age is about 25 years. Or, Adam could believe Gid based on evidence of the the truthfulness of God.... and the evidence of his now missing rib.
    "It is not any different...." False. One need only to look at images of earth from space. Look at the difference in only 50 years. I know, for a fact, that Adam had way more trees and way less people. And certainly no skyscrapers.


    Sent from my iPhone using TOL

  19. #72
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    11,000
    Thanks
    1,359
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,059 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    314716
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArran View Post
    No. God existed before the material universe. He did not need to create to be happy. He was eternally happy in himself. He needs no one and nothing. To create was a sovereign choice.
    The Most High is not narcissistic. Love is empty unless it is reciprocated.

    Even Bo Diddley asked who do you love.

    The Most High wanted children and had angels created to minister to them.

    "Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?" (Hebrews 1:14)

  20. #73
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    11,000
    Thanks
    1,359
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,059 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    314716
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonahdog View Post
    But it is really about 13.8 billion years old.
    And 6000 years ago the earth was temperate and covered with water.

    The sun kept the earth from being a frozen planet.

    The pre-Adamic environment was very pleasant and lush.

  21. #74
    Over 1500 post club User Name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,669
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 234 Times in 171 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    140339
    Quote Originally Posted by 6days View Post
    The apparent age is about 6,000 years. It's not any different today than it was on the 6th day.
    When did stars start to go supernova? How did the light from exploded stars reach us in just 6,000 years? The Milky Way alone is about 100,000 light years across. That is a long time for light to reach us here on earth. If you say that God created supernovas, that is like saying that God created trees with tree rings, and that also would be "appearance of age."

    Quote Originally Posted by 6days View Post
    God told Adam that Eve had just been created from his rib. Adam could have argued with God saying her apparent age is about 25 years. Or, Adam could believe Gid based on evidence of the the truthfulness of God.... and the evidence of his now missing rib.
    From anyone's perspective, Adam was created as a fully grown man of a certain age, hence his appearance of age. Not actual age, but appearance of age. Eve as well.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to User Name For Your Post:

    jsanford108 (August 1st, 2017)

  23. #75
    Over 1500 post club User Name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,669
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 234 Times in 171 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    140339

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Stuu

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us