User Tag List

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 197

Thread: How the Gospel Refutes Calvinism, Catholicism All Religions

  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    14,176
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 1,473 Posts

    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    354751

    How the Gospel Refutes Calvinism, Catholicism All Religions

    Please read carefully, this article could make a difference in the way that you believe.

    The Bible makes it clear that man is a sinner. Paul wrote, "There is none righteous, no, not one, Romans 3:10. When Paul wrote that he was quoting Psalm 14:1-3. Man is born a sinner, Psalm 51:5. Lives his life as a sinner and dies a sinner. There are two kinds of sinners, saved sinners and lost sinners. The question in many theological circles is... how does this sinner become just before a Holy God?

    If you are of the Catholic faith, then you probably believe that your sinful nature can be re-habilitated by the works of the law or by doing religious works. The Bible does not support that belief and then there are the Calvinist that declare that they were chosen to be saved before the foundation of the world and God damned the rest to hell. This is very hard to believe. To believe that you must believe that God is an unjust, heartless tyrant.

    What does the Bible say? How does God deal with fallen man? You can rest assured, that all that God does in his relationship with fallen man is done in holiness, in justice, in mercy and in righteousness. God cannot and will not, sin against himself or his created beings. If you believe that he does, then you are lost and without hope.

    The scripture says, "But when the fullness of time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman made under the law to redeem them that were under the law, that he might receive the adoption of sons, Galatians 4:4, 5. This article is about how God did that through his Son Jesus Christ.

    He didn't do it by re-habilitating them, nor did he do it be predestinating them. Those methods are not what God does because they are illegal. God provides a salvation that is both morale and legally correct. In the Gospel Jesus embraces our humanity and becomes God's new Adam and our new humanity. Jesus comes into the world to do for us that which we cannot do for ourselves. God requires two things for the salvation of fallen man.

    1. A life of perfect obedience according to God's holy law.
    2. A perfect atonement for man's sins and the sins of the whole world.

    In our name and on our behalf, both of these requirements have been fully met by Jesus Christ.

    This is why Paul wrote, "And you are complete in him (Jesus) which is the head of all principality and power" Colossians 2:10.

    If we are complete "In Christ" then what else do we need? Do we need to be re-habilitated? Do we need to be predestinated? If God sees us as complete "In Christ" that is it, you have been signed, sealed and delivered by the doing and the dying of Jesus. Jesus has victoriously come into the world to defeat sin, death and the devil. Having done that God welcomes Jesus back into heaven and makes him... "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16. Its over, its finished and Jesus is Lord.

    I will be gone for a few days.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert Pate For Your Post:

    glorydaz (June 27th, 2017),JudgeRightly (July 10th, 2017)

  3. #2
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,076
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,172 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328453
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    There are two kinds of sinners, saved sinners and lost sinners.
    The expression "saved sinners" is not biblical.

    Sin brings condemnation. There is no condemnation for those in Christ.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to jamie For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (July 10th, 2017)

  5. #3
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    33,467
    Thanks
    18,155
    Thanked 16,591 Times in 13,030 Posts

    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147778
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    The expression "saved sinners" is not biblical.

    Sin brings condemnation. There is no condemnation for those in Christ.
    We're all still sinners, we continue to sin

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick jane For Your Post:

    lifeisgood (July 2nd, 2017)

  7. #4
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    25,588
    Thanks
    16,942
    Thanked 40,135 Times in 20,063 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147832
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    We're all still sinners, we continue to sin
    I'm a saint.

    Ephesians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:


    GOD has always differentiated between the righteous and the unrighteous....between sinners and saints. It's only man that continues to call himself a sinner after God calls him righteous.

    Even in the verse about "none" righteous....it is talking about the unbelievers, the workers of iniquity. Paul is merely quoting from Psalms. The fact that there ARE righteous people is shown in the text.

    Psalm 14
    1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. 2 The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. 3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the Lord. 5 There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.

    I'm addressing this to you, PJ, because poor Robert is going to the hospital, and I didn't want him to be bothered with this "correction".

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    jamie (June 27th, 2017),patrick jane (June 27th, 2017)

  9. #5
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    33,467
    Thanks
    18,155
    Thanked 16,591 Times in 13,030 Posts

    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147778
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    I'm a saint.
    Ephesians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:


    GOD has always differentiated between the righteous and the unrighteous....between sinners and saints. It's only man that continues to call himself a sinner after God calls him righteous.

    Even in the verse about "none" righteous....it is talking about the unbelievers, the workers of iniquity. Paul is merely quoting from Psalms. The fact that there ARE righteous people is shown in the text.
    Psalm 14
    1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. 2 The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. 3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the Lord. 5 There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.

    I'm addressing this to you, PJ, because poor Robert is going to the hospital, and I didn't want him to be bothered with this "correction".



    I knew that I think. We have the righteousness of Christ Romans 5:1 KJV -

    But we do still sin, don't we?

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patrick jane For Your Post:

    glorydaz (June 27th, 2017),JudgeRightly (July 10th, 2017),lifeisgood (July 2nd, 2017)

  11. #6
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    25,588
    Thanks
    16,942
    Thanked 40,135 Times in 20,063 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147832
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post



    I knew that I think. We have the righteousness of Christ Romans 5:1 KJV -

    But we do still sin, don't we?
    Sin is transgression of the law, which we have been delivered from.

    We are therefore dead to sin. It's why we are saints and not sinners.

    Romans 6:17-18 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

    The only one who gains by making us see ourselves as "sinners" is the enemy.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (July 10th, 2017)

  13. #7
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    33,467
    Thanks
    18,155
    Thanked 16,591 Times in 13,030 Posts

    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147778
    Quote Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
    Sin is transgression of the law, which we have been delivered from.

    We are therefore dead to sin. It's why we are saints and not sinners.
    Romans 6:17-18 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

    The only one who gains by making us see ourselves as "sinners" is the enemy.
    Thanks glory, I posted the wrong scripture in that previous post I'm half asleep

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick jane For Your Post:

    glorydaz (June 27th, 2017)

  15. #8
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    25,588
    Thanks
    16,942
    Thanked 40,135 Times in 20,063 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147832
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    Thanks glory, I posted the wrong scripture in that previous post I'm half asleep
    I must be, too. I didn't even check because I knew which verse you were referring to. So it works either way.

  16. #9
    Over 2000 post club Eagles Wings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,160
    Thanks
    4,677
    Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,204 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    455800
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    Thanks glory, I posted the wrong scripture in that previous post I'm half asleep
    Excuses, excuses.

    Oops, another one meant for "sayings" thread.
    Psalm 42:1-2 (KJV)

    1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.

    2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
    .

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagles Wings For Your Post:

    patrick jane (June 27th, 2017)

  18. #10
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,076
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,172 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328453
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post
    We're all still sinners, we continue to sin
    In what way? And why?

  19. #11
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    33,467
    Thanks
    18,155
    Thanked 16,591 Times in 13,030 Posts

    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147778
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    In what way? And why?
    Because I said so

  20. #12
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,076
    Thanks
    1,463
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,172 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    328453
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane View Post

    But we do still sin, don't we?
    The temple of God can't be a house of sin.

    The two are mutually exclusive, they don't meld.

    One or the other goes.

  21. #13
    TOL Legend patrick jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    33,467
    Thanks
    18,155
    Thanked 16,591 Times in 13,030 Posts

    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147778
    Hi Robert !!!

  22. #14
    Over 1000 post club
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,293
    Thanks
    1,207
    Thanked 429 Times in 334 Posts

    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    183978
    "In the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which holds all beliefs/doctrines of the Catholic Church, we find, in paragraph 432, "the name 'Jesus' signifies that the very name of God is present in the person of his Son, made man for the universal and definitive redemption from sins. It is the divine name alone that brings salvation, and henceforth all can invoke His Name, for Jesus united Himself to all men through His Incarnation, so that 'there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.'

    This is only one simple paragraph of many, that demonstrate the Catholic belief and doctrine that Christ alone saves. Any claim to the contrary is simply a falsehood."

    This is my quote from just the other day, Pate. I shall attempt (as long as it strikes me humorous) to demonstrate your false teachings and applications to the Catholic Church, by providing actual teachings and doctrines of the Catholic Church.

    So once again, you are wrong and a false prophet. There are several other errors in your OP, but I will wait for your return to the thread.

    Godspeed in whatever endeavor you are undertaking. I hope all is well.


    Sent from my iPhone using TOL

  23. #15
    Over 4000 post club Epoisses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    4,344
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 775 Times in 657 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    85660
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanford108 View Post
    "In the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which holds all beliefs/doctrines of the Catholic Church, we find, in paragraph 432, "the name 'Jesus' signifies that the very name of God is present in the person of his Son, made man for the universal and definitive redemption from sins. It is the divine name alone that brings salvation, and henceforth all can invoke His Name, for Jesus united Himself to all men through His Incarnation, so that 'there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.'

    This is only one simple paragraph of many, that demonstrate the Catholic belief and doctrine that Christ alone saves. Any claim to the contrary is simply a falsehood."

    This is my quote from just the other day, Pate. I shall attempt (as long as it strikes me humorous) to demonstrate your false teachings and applications to the Catholic Church, by providing actual teachings and doctrines of the Catholic Church.

    So once again, you are wrong and a false prophet. There are several other errors in your OP, but I will wait for your return to the thread.

    Godspeed in whatever endeavor you are undertaking. I hope all is well.


    Sent from my iPhone using TOL
    The Catholic and Orthodox churches reject the Protestant doctrine of justification by faith alone. Ergo they believe that it is Jesus plus our works of merit that save us. Catholics fell away from the gospel a thousand plus years ago and have never recovered.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us