User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Repentance is given by the Saviour !

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
    Why haven't you studied it ? You brought it up! If you bring up a scripture please be ready to discuss and explain it, don't put it off on someone else!

Sent from my 5054N using TheologyOnline mobile app
    I'm trying to understand what you mean. You said repentance is a gift given from God and it's not from man. If man has no choice and God desires all men to be saved, then shouldn't God give repentance to all men.
    1 Tim. 2:3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
    2 Pt. 3:9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
    If he wants all to be saved and doesn't give it to all, why not? What determines who gets it and who does not?

The way I understand it, those who believe the gospel are moved to repentance. For example, Paul wanted to save as many of the Jews as he could but he knows he needed to convince them.
    Rom. 11:14 if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them.

People need to come to an understanding of the truth. Here Paul is persuading.
    Acts 28:23 When they had set a day for Paul, they came to him at his lodging in large numbers; and he was explaining to them by solemnly testifying about the kingdom of God and trying to persuade them concerning Jesus, from both the Law of Moses and from the Prophets, from morning until evening.
    Wretched man that I am.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,628 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turbosixx View Post
    I'm trying to understand what you mean. You said repentance is a gift given from God and it's not from man. If man has no choice and God desires all men to be saved, then shouldn't God give repentance to all men.
    1 Tim. 2:3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
    2 Pt. 3:9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
    If he wants all to be saved and doesn't give it to all, why not? What determines who gets it and who does not?

The way I understand it, those who believe the gospel are moved to repentance. For example, Paul wanted to save as many of the Jews as he could but he knows he needed to convince them.
    Rom. 11:14 if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them.

People need to come to an understanding of the truth. Here Paul is persuading.
    Acts 28:23 When they had set a day for Paul, they came to him at his lodging in large numbers; and he was explaining to them by solemnly testifying about the kingdom of God and trying to persuade them concerning Jesus, from both the Law of Moses and from the Prophets, from morning until evening.
    I explained what I meant in the Op and following post. Did you read the points I made?

"... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you read the points I made?
    Yes, and I disagree based on the points I made.
    Wretched man that I am.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and I disagree based on the points I made.
    Okay that's fine. What exactly did you disagree with about the points? Be specific as I was in making them.

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay that's fine. What exactly did you disagree with about the points? Be specific as I was in making them.

I was specific.
    Wretched man that I am.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was specific.
    No you were not. You never attempted once to explain my points I made. How could I know you understand them?

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No you were not. You never attempted once to explain my points I made. How could I know you understand them?

Post 16
    Wretched man that I am.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post 16
    I see there you made one reference to something I said" repentance being a Gift" and that is it. You evaded everything else and gave me a bunch of scripture. If you don't want to discuss my points made don't bother me.

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see there you made one reference to something I said" repentance being a Gift" and that is it. You evaded everything else and gave me a bunch of scripture. If you don't want to discuss my points made don't bother me.
    Wasn't that your point, repentance is a gift? Did I not address that? I was hoping to understand from your point of view but I can see I'm a "bother". Sorry
    Wretched man that I am.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't that your point, repentance is a gift? Did I not address that? I was hoping to understand from your point of view but I can see I'm a "bother". Sorry
    Obviously all you saw was the words, Repentance is a Gift". You ignored everything else. Next time please be prepared to discuss the points I made with scripture, and how I made them with scripture.

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nanja

And in this verse also, the word give is didomi and it's the result of God giving them His Spirit in New Birth:

2 Tim. 2:25
    In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentanceto the acknowledging of the truth;
    Amen, a Good Catch. So with that said, Repentance given by God is inclusive of one being brought to the acknowledging of the Truth ! It leads them to a correct knowledge of the Truth, no doubt the Spirit is active in this Jn 16:13

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So one of the characteristics of God given Repentance is that it leads to an acknowledgement of the Truth as it is in Christ Jesus opposed to false doctrines sown by the devil and his servants 2 Tim 2:25-26

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Believing false doctrine and lies is a snare of the devil, only God can deliver us from !

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nanja

Amen, a Good Catch. So with that said, Repentance given by God is inclusive of one being brought to the acknowledging of the Truth ! It leads them to a correct knowledge of the Truth, no doubt the Spirit is active in this Jn 16:13

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Amen, so when the Spirit Gives a person true repentance and belief of the Truth about their Salvation in New Birth, it bears evidence of their being Elect, Chosen of God.

2Thes. 2:13
    But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Titus 1:1-2
    1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; 2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Titus 3:5
    Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So one of the characteristics of God given Repentance is that it leads to an acknowledgement of the Truth as it is in Christ Jesus opposed to false doctrines sown by the devil and his servants 2 Tim 2:25-26

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Believing false doctrine and lies is a snare of the devil, only God can deliver us from !

Exactly! And those who remain in false doctrine and lies, it's evidence that they were not chosen to belief of the Truth 2 Thes. 2:13, and were not part of the world [kosmos] that Christ gave Himself for: He did not redeem them from all iniquity, as those in:

Titus 2:14
    Who gave himself for us [Elect], that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nanja

Amen, so when the Spirit Gives a person true repentance and belief of the Truth about their Salvation in New Birth, it bears evidence of their being Elect, Chosen of God.
    Exactly
    Exactly! And those who remain in false doctrine and lies, it's evidence that they were not chosen to belief of the Truth 2 Thes. 2:13, and were not part of the world [kosmos] that Christ gave Himself for: He did not redeem them from all iniquity, as those in:
    Bingo !

Charles Spurgeon !

Thread Information