User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 113

Thread: Calvinism and the word "WHOSOEVER"

  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    11,688
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 1,065 Posts

    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    331266

    Calvinism and the word "WHOSOEVER"

    The word "whosoever" is used over 180 times in both the Old Testament and the New Testament. In Strong's Concordance it is word #G3956. In the Greek it means all, any, every. In the English dictionary it means, any person whatever; who; whoever. Jesus said,

    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that WHOSOEVER believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16.

    In the Canons of Dort, First Head, Article #10. It says, "He (God) was pleased out of the common mass of sinners to adopt SOME CERTAIN PERSONS as a peculiar people to himself".

    This is in direct conflict with what Jesus is saying. Are we going to believe Jesus or are we going to believe the Calvinist Canons of Dort? Whosoever means all, anyone, everyone that believes in Jesus shall be saved. Paul wrote,

    "WHOSOEVER that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

    Nothing about "Some certain persons". Salvation has been provided for everyone. This is what the Bible teaches.

    "That he by the grace of God might taste death for EVERYONE" Hebrews 2:9.

    Jesus has tasted death for everyone so that, "WHOSOEVER that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13. Calvinism is anti-grace. They want us to believe that if you are not one of the "Some Certain Persons" you are lost. We will never know how many people that think that they are lost because they were not one of the chosen ones. When all they had to do was call on Christ to save them.

    Not only is Calvinism anti-grace, it is also anti-Gospel, which means that it is anti-Christ. God does not save people by adopting them. We are saved by the doing and the dying of Jesus, plus nothing. Jesus saves and he saves to the uttermost, Hebrews 7:25. All one has to do to be saved is to call on Christ to save them and believe that he can save you.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Pate For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 29th, 2017)

  3. #2
    Silver Member Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,814
    Thanks
    1,183
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,608 Posts

    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    257369
    Election is based upon whosoever believes in the righteousness of Jesus Christ for their justification before God.

    And since faith comes to sinners by the grace of God, and not by human works of righteousness . . when sinners do NOT believe, it is because God has condemned their unbelief already, and left them in their sins.

    No grace = no faith

    No faith = no everlasting life

    No everlasting life for all = no universal atonement

    All and only those Jesus Christ justified with His blood, evidence they are the "whosoever" who will be saved, by faith in Him, alone.

    So be it, whether you believe this Gospel or not.
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nang For Your Post:

    Eagles Wings (May 28th, 2017)

  5. #3
    TOL Subscriber glorydaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    18,256
    Thanks
    8,359
    Thanked 26,360 Times in 13,294 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147738
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang View Post
    Election is based upon whosoever believes in the righteousness of Jesus Christ for their justification before God.

    And since faith comes to sinners by the grace of God, and not by human works of righteousness . . when sinners do NOT believe, it is because God has condemned their unbelief already, and left them in their sins.

    No grace = no faith

    No faith = no everlasting life

    No everlasting life for all = no universal atonement

    All and only those Jesus Christ justified with His blood, evidence they are the "whosoever" who will be saved, by faith in Him, alone.

    So be it, whether you believe this Gospel or not.
    Hi Mr. Nang.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to glorydaz For Your Post:

    Tambora (May 29th, 2017)

  7. #4
    TOL Legend beloved57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    17,227
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 987 Times in 951 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    51042
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    The word "whosoever" is used over 180 times in both the Old Testament and the New Testament. In Strong's Concordance it is word #G3956. In the Greek it means all, any, every. In the English dictionary it means, any person whatever; who; whoever. Jesus said,

    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that WHOSOEVER believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16.

    In the Canons of Dort, First Head, Article #10. It says, "He (God) was pleased out of the common mass of sinners to adopt SOME CERTAIN PERSONS as a peculiar people to himself".

    This is in direct conflict with what Jesus is saying. Are we going to believe Jesus or are we going to believe the Calvinist Canons of Dort? Whosoever means all, anyone, everyone that believes in Jesus shall be saved. Paul wrote,

    "WHOSOEVER that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

    Nothing about "Some certain persons". Salvation has been provided for everyone. This is what the Bible teaches.

    "That he by the grace of God might taste death for EVERYONE" Hebrews 2:9.

    Jesus has tasted death for everyone so that, "WHOSOEVER that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13. Calvinism is anti-grace. They want us to believe that if you are not one of the "Some Certain Persons" you are lost. We will never know how many people that think that they are lost because they were not one of the chosen ones. When all they had to do was call on Christ to save them.

    Not only is Calvinism anti-grace, it is also anti-Gospel, which means that it is anti-Christ. God does not save people by adopting them. We are saved by the doing and the dying of Jesus, plus nothing. Jesus saves and he saves to the uttermost, Hebrews 7:25. All one has to do to be saved is to call on Christ to save them and believe that he can save you.
    You teach that sinners Christ died for are still lost!
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

    Charles Spurgeon !

  8. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    11,688
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 1,065 Posts

    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    331266
    Quote Originally Posted by Nang View Post
    Election is based upon whosoever believes in the righteousness of Jesus Christ for their justification before God.

    And since faith comes to sinners by the grace of God, and not by human works of righteousness . . when sinners do NOT believe, it is because God has condemned their unbelief already, and left them in their sins.

    No grace = no faith

    No faith = no everlasting life

    No everlasting life for all = no universal atonement

    All and only those Jesus Christ justified with His blood, evidence they are the "whosoever" who will be saved, by faith in Him, alone.

    So be it, whether you believe this Gospel or not.

    That is not the Gospel.

    The Gospel is about how Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19.

  9. #6
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    11,688
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 1,065 Posts

    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    331266
    The word "WHOSOEVER" means all, everyone, anyone that believes in Jesus will be saved. Romans 10:13.

    If you try to make the word "whosoever" apply to some certain group, then the word loses its meaning.

    Example. If you say that the "whosoever's" are the elect, then it is no longer the whosoever's, it is the elect and not the whosoever's.

    Calvinist try to change this word, but it cannot be changed. The word means all, everyone, anyone and not any group or entity.

  10. #7
    Silver Member Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,814
    Thanks
    1,183
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,608 Posts

    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    257369
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    The word "WHOSOEVER" means all, everyone, anyone that believes in Jesus will be saved. Romans 10:13.

    If you try to make the word "whosoever" apply to some certain group, then the word loses its meaning.

    Example. If you say that the "whosoever's" are the elect, then it is no longer the whosoever's, it is the elect and not the whosoever's.

    Calvinist try to change this word, but it cannot be changed. The word means all, everyone, anyone and not any group or entity.
    All believers are the elect of God, thus all the elect of God defines the "who" that believe.

    That is simply defining the word, not changing it.
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  11. #8
    Silver Member Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,814
    Thanks
    1,183
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,608 Posts

    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    257369
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    That is not the Gospel.

    The Gospel is about how Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5
    Yes.

    and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19.
    The context (the "us" in verse 18) of this teaching refers to the church members at Corinth . . Not to the world at large. This is not a universal promise.

    God reconciles the world to Himself, through the salvation of a remnant of mankind gathered out of each and every nationality. Revelation 21:24-27
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  12. #9
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,832
    Thanks
    648
    Thanked 9,173 Times in 6,336 Posts

    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147792
    Like moths to a flame....
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 29th, 2017),musterion (May 28th, 2017),Tambora (May 29th, 2017)

  14. #10
    This is definitely Lower Wacker Drive. musterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19,387
    Thanks
    3,161
    Thanked 15,262 Times in 8,930 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147724
    They don't want God willing to save all. That makes them feel less special...kind of like the guy with the only Jag on the block whose neighbor shows up with a Jag.

    Jesus loves some of the children
    but not all the children of the world,
    red and yellow, black and white,
    if elect they're precious in His sight,
    Jesus loves some of the children of the world.

    (sorry, Ray)

    Not a single cluster of living fruit was, or ever will be, harvested from the tree of legality. Law can only produce “dead works,” from which we need to have conscience purged just as much as from “wicked works.”

    C. H. Mackintosh


  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musterion For Your Post:

    JudgeRightly (May 29th, 2017),Tambora (May 29th, 2017)

  16. #11
    Silver Member Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,814
    Thanks
    1,183
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,608 Posts

    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    257369
    Quote Originally Posted by musterion View Post
    They don't want God willing to save all. That makes them feel less special...kind of like the guy with the only Jag on the block whose neighbor shows up with a Jag.
    I simply believe what Sovereign God wills, Sovereign God gets.

    He never fails in His purposes.

    If not all men are saved universally, it proves some are prepared by God for destruction, as His word clearly reveals. Romans 9:14-24
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  17. #12
    ☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona USA
    Posts
    6,128
    Thanks
    3,415
    Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,847 Posts

    Blog Entries
    144
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)



    Rep Power
    2147674
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    "WHOSOEVER that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.
    Asked and answered too many times:
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    WHOSOEVER, means all, anyone, everyone.
    Robert Pate's Favorites Answered

    Robert, you start so many redundant threads you cannot keep up with yourself, for example:
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post4876713

    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post4900090

    Pay attention:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Robert, you diluting what you are trying to convey with this many threads on the subject. I get the impression you are trying to build your post count back up. I will start locking the threads if you keep this up. This many threads is unnecessary and redundant. A couple well managed threads is a better approach.

    AMR
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.



    Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?



  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ask Mr. Religion For Your Post:

    Sherman (May 28th, 2017)

  19. #13
    Over 500 post club Brother Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    649
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 222 Times in 140 Posts

    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    153159
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    The word "whosoever" is used over 180 times in both the Old Testament and the New Testament. In Strong's Concordance it is word #G3956. In the Greek it means all, any, every. In the English dictionary it means, any person whatever; who; whoever. Jesus said,

    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that WHOSOEVER believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16.

    In the Canons of Dort, First Head, Article #10. It says, "He (God) was pleased out of the common mass of sinners to adopt SOME CERTAIN PERSONS as a peculiar people to himself".

    This is in direct conflict with what Jesus is saying. Are we going to believe Jesus or are we going to believe the Calvinist Canons of Dort? Whosoever means all, anyone, everyone that believes in Jesus shall be saved. Paul wrote,

    "WHOSOEVER that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

    Nothing about "Some certain persons". Salvation has been provided for everyone. This is what the Bible teaches.

    "That he by the grace of God might taste death for EVERYONE" Hebrews 2:9.

    Jesus has tasted death for everyone so that, "WHOSOEVER that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13. Calvinism is anti-grace. They want us to believe that if you are not one of the "Some Certain Persons" you are lost. We will never know how many people that think that they are lost because they were not one of the chosen ones. When all they had to do was call on Christ to save them.

    Not only is Calvinism anti-grace, it is also anti-Gospel, which means that it is anti-Christ. God does not save people by adopting them. We are saved by the doing and the dying of Jesus, plus nothing. Jesus saves and he saves to the uttermost, Hebrews 7:25. All one has to do to be saved is to call on Christ to save them and believe that he can save you.
    Calvinists, of course, believe John 3:16. You, of course believe that God saves some certain persons. The issue is that you fail to pay attention to what you read in the verse. You see "Whosoever" but fail to see the connection between the word "whosoever" and "believes."

    Those who believe will be saved. All of those who believe will be saved. But this text just does not speak to the issue of whom can/may believe.

    If you want to hate Calvinists for whom they take as some certain persons as being different from your some certain persons, and if you want to appear rational, then you will have to come up with a different verse. John 3:16 just does not do it.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother Ducky For Your Post:

    Ask Mr. Religion (May 29th, 2017)

  21. #14
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    11,688
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 1,065 Posts

    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    331266
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Ducky View Post
    Calvinists, of course, believe John 3:16. You, of course believe that God saves some certain persons. The issue is that you fail to pay attention to what you read in the verse. You see "Whosoever" but fail to see the connection between the word "whosoever" and "believes."

    Those who believe will be saved. All of those who believe will be saved. But this text just does not speak to the issue of whom can/may believe.

    If you want to hate Calvinists for whom they take as some certain persons as being different from your some certain persons, and if you want to appear rational, then you will have to come up with a different verse. John 3:16 just does not do it.

    Calvinism stands in opposition to John 3:16.

    You cannot be a Calvinist and believe that... "God so loves the world that he gives his only begotten Son".

    Nor can you be a Calvinist and believe that... "Whosoever that believes in him will not perish".

    Who are you trying to fool?

  22. #15
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    11,688
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 1,065 Posts

    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    331266
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Asked and answered too many times:


    Robert Pate's Favorites Answered

    Robert, you start so many redundant threads you cannot keep up with yourself, for example:
    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post4876713

    http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post4900090

    Pay attention:



    AMR
    The fact remains that you cannot refute what the Bible says.

    The Bible clearly says... "Whosoever (meaning all, anyone, everyone) that shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

    This one scripture totally and completely refutes your Calvinist doctrine. The Canons of Dort, First Head, Article #10 says, "God was pleased out of the common mass of sinners to adopt "SOME CERTAIN PERSONS" as a peculiar people to himself".

    Now does the scripture say... "Some Certain Persons" that shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved". No it doesn't say that, but you wish that it did.

    I can understand why you and Sherman don't want me to post articles. You don't want to be exposed as the false teacher that you are.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us