Thread: Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 13:8-10 . .Whether there be tongues, they shall cease; yada, yada, yada, yada.

God introduced tongues during the Tower Of Babel incident recorded in Gen 11:1-9. He did that to break up world unification. Apparently it was God's judgment that world unification in those days was not a good thing. Well; the language barrier remains in place today; so I'm assuming that world unification in our day is still not a good thing.

In other words: today's world is an imperfect world. But according to 2Pet 3:1-13 and the 21st chapter of Revelation, a new world order is on its way; a perfect world that can be trusted with global unification so there will be no need for a control measure to thwart an all-out proliferation of evil.

But until that perfect world is up and running, there will continue to be a need for the gift of tongues so that Jesus' followers can fulfill his edict to "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to everyone everywhere." and to "Teach them all things whatsoever I have commanded you."

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

-
    1 Cor 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

That's just it. God only knows what's coming out of the tonguer's mouth-- they might even be cussing! I should think that's at least one of the reasons why people ought to pray in a language they understand.

A charismatic once informed me that he prayed in a tongue because he couldn't express his deepest feelings any other way. Mind you this was an American adult of almost fifty years old; educated in America and spoke, wrote, and read English his entire life. So I asked him how it is that his command of the English language was so poor that he could only express his thoughts in a language that not even he himself could either identify or understand?

1Cor 14:14-15 . . For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

ps: My charismatic friend should to try expressing love for his wife in a tongue and see how she feels about it.

/

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 14:4 . . He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself,

The above is true of someone with the actual gift of tongues only after they've first obtained the ability to understand the strange words coming out of their mouth.

1Cor 14:13-15 . . Anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

But seriously, I don't think the gift of tongues was ever meant for people's personal use anyway; rather, for outreach.

1Cor 14:22 . .Tongues are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers

The sign becomes quite ineffective when the tongue being spoken isn't familiar to the audience.

1Cor 14:23-25 . . So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

The conclusion to draw is that the gift of tongues should be put to use sensibly and intelligently.

/

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeberHome View Post
    -
    1Cor 14:4 . . He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself,

The above is true of someone with the actual gift of tongues only after they've first obtained the ability to understand the strange words coming out of their mouth.

1Cor 14:13-15 . . Anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.

But seriously, I don't think the gift of tongues was ever meant for people's personal use anyway; rather, for outreach.

1Cor 14:22 . .Tongues are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers

The sign becomes quite ineffective when the tongue being spoken isn't familiar to the audience.

1Cor 14:23-25 . . So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

The conclusion to draw is that the gift of tongues should be put to use sensibly and intelligently.

/
    You can't pick and choose only the verses you like - you have to accept the whole thing.
    1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
    Speaking in an unknown tongue (one that NO MAN UNDERSTANDS) is a sanctioned part of Paul's teaching. It must be in order, but it hasn't been done away with.
    And for those believing tongues are no longer needed because "that which is perfect" has come, has KNOWLEDGE ALSO CEASED?

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    According to Acts 2:4-11, the gift of tongues is supposed to enable the giftees to be heard in a variety of honest to gosh, real-life languages.

/
    That miracle, the fact that someone was present that understood the tongues spoken by the twelve is not guaranteed in scripture.

The language or languages spoken maybe a tongue of men or a tongue of angels. I Corinthians 13:1 If it is the tongues of angels being spoken, then no human would understand it. After all, who has an angel/English dictionary?

That it is the either the tongue of men or angels, that information does not guarantee that when anyone speaks in tongues in a situation with people who speak other languages that the others will understand the speaker.

It happened on the day of Pentecost, certainly, but is there any evidence that it happened on a faithful basis after that?

Not in scripture, but it does occur at times.

Have you read I Corinthians 12:7-11 closely?

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Have you noticed that the list of nine is preceded by a verse that refers to manifestation?

That has been a very common point of misunderstanding by many.

Speaking in tongues and the rest of the eight are manifestations of the gift of Holy Spirit.

When we receive the gift of holy spirit from the Holy Spirit, also known as the gift of salvation, we inherently receive with the gift the ability to do the same works as Jesus Christ, John 14:12 and greater works. We have the ability to manifest all nine of the manifestations, having the gift of holy spirit, our job is to manifest it in the nine profitable ways that God lists in these verses.
    "And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship and in breaking of bread and in prayers." Acts 2:42

"Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind" Philippians 2:2

Pro scripture = Protestant

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 12:1-2 . .Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant.

Tongues is only one of many spiritual gifts. Some other are:

The word of wisdom (1Cor 12:8)
    The word of knowledge (1Cor 12:8)
    Faith (1Cor 12:9)
    Healing (1Cor 12:9)
    Miracles (1Cor 12:10)
    Prophecy (1Cor 12:10)
    Distinguishing spirits (1Cor 12:10)
    Interpreting languages (1Cor 12:10)
    Helps (1Cor 12:28)
    Administration (1Cor 12:28)
    Ministering (Rom 12:7)
    Teaching (Rom 12:7)
    Encouragement (Rom 12:8)
    Charity (Rom 12:8)
    Leadership (Rom 12:8)
    Compassion (Rom 12:8)
    Evangelism (Eph 4:11)
    Pastoring (Eph 4:11)

It seems a little out of balance to me that with so many worthwhile spiritual gifts out there to think about, the only one that obsesses people enough to quarrel over it is tongues.

/

LIFETIME MEMBER
    Thanks

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
    When we receive the gift of holy spirit from the Holy Spirit, also known as the gift of salvation, we inherently receive with the gift the ability to do the same works as Jesus Christ, John 14:12 and greater works. We have the ability to manifest all nine of the manifestations, having the gift of holy spirit, our job is to manifest it in the nine profitable ways that God lists in these verses.
    1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will.
    My theology is that the elect of Israel became the scattered church among the nations, and when filled up with the full number of gentiles who believe to become one with them, then Christ will return and gather them, and God will then pour out His wrath on the unbelievers of both Jew and Gentile.

LIFETIME MEMBER
    Thanks

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-
    1Cor 12:1-2 . .Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant.

Tongues is only one of many spiritual gifts. Some other are:

The word of wisdom (1Cor 12:8)
    The word of knowledge (1Cor 12:8)

Faith (1Cor 12:9)
    Healing (1Cor 12:9)
    Miracles (1Cor 12:10)
    Prophecy (1Cor 12:10)
    Distinguishing spirits (1Cor 12:10)
    Interpreting languages (1Cor 12:10)
    Helps (1Cor 12:28)
    Administration (1Cor 12:28)
    Ministering (Rom 12:7)
    Teaching (Rom 12:7)
    Encouragement (Rom 12:8)
    Charity (Rom 12:8)
    Leadership (Rom 12:8)
    Compassion (Rom 12:8)
    Evangelism (Eph 4:11)
    Pastoring (Eph 4:11)

It seems a little out of balance to me that with so many worthwhile spiritual gifts out there to think about, the only one that obsesses people enough to quarrel over it is tongues.

/
    The gifts of the Spirit of 1 Cor 12 are not callings of Romans 12.

LA
    My theology is that the elect of Israel became the scattered church among the nations, and when filled up with the full number of gentiles who believe to become one with them, then Christ will return and gather them, and God will then pour out His wrath on the unbelievers of both Jew and Gentile.

All I want is God's Truth God's Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,926 Times in 1,754 Posts

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
    That miracle, the fact that someone was present that understood the tongues spoken by the twelve is not guaranteed in scripture.

The language or languages spoken maybe a tongue of men or a tongue of angels. I Corinthians 13:1 If it is the tongues of angels being spoken, then no human would understand it. After all, who has an angel/English dictionary?

That it is the either the tongue of men or angels, that information does not guarantee that when anyone speaks in tongues in a situation with people who speak other languages that the others will understand the speaker.

It happened on the day of Pentecost, certainly, but is there any evidence that it happened on a faithful basis after that?

Not in scripture, but it does occur at times.

Have you read I Corinthians 12:7-11 closely?

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Have you noticed that the list of nine is preceded by a verse that refers to manifestation?

That has been a very common point of misunderstanding by many.

Speaking in tongues and the rest of the eight are manifestations of the gift of Holy Spirit.

There were miracles and signs during the laying of the foundation. The foundation has been laid. The message has been testified to.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!
    Do not just read the word do it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to God's Truth For Your Post:

Eagles Wings (May 12th, 2017)

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rules Governing The Gift Of Tongues

Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    There were miracles and signs during the laying of the foundation. The foundation has been laid. The message has been testified to.
    There continues to be miracles today (divine, miraculous healing, resurrection from the dead, etc). Those with faith and desire still see them regularly.

Thanks

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleMan77 View Post
    There continues to be miracles today (divine, miraculous healing, resurrection from the dead, etc). Those with faith and desire still see them regularly.

God still gives miracles, but God is not allowing the raising of the dead, healing of those born blind, and healing of those born paralyzed.

The Bible says plainly that those things were allowed during the laying of the foundation.

The foundation has been laid.

God has already testified to His message.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to God's Truth For Your Post:

Eagles Wings (May 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The New Testament is of very special times, to say the least. God through Jesus Christ gives salvation to us, and God testified to the gospel message by the miraculous signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will (Hebrews 2:4; and Acts 14:3).

The gift of tongues is a gift, a sign given, during the laying of the foundation of the church, but the foundation has since been laid (Eph 2:20), so the use for a sign has been given and no longer needed.God already testified to His WORD.

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The New Testament is of very special times, to say the least. God through Jesus Christ gives salvation to us, and God testified to the gospel message by the miraculous signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will (Hebrews 2:4; and Acts 14:3).

The gift of tongues is a gift, a sign given, during the laying of the foundation of the church, but the foundation has since been laid (Eph 2:20), so the use for a sign has been given and no longer needed.God already testified to His WORD.
    Sorry, but you can't show me one place that God's word ever justifies a belief that tongues were only for a time. I can show you many scriptures to justify "earnestly contending for THE FAITH THAT WAS ONCE DELIVERED to the saints".
    And if you want to use the "tongues shall cease" argument, tell me how "knowledge has vanished away"

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God still gives miracles, but God is not allowing the raising of the dead, healing of those born blind, and healing of those born paralyzed.

The Bible says plainly that those things were allowed during the laying of the foundation.

The foundation has been laid.

God has already testified to His message.
    If God isn't allowing it, how do I keep seeing cancers being healed (doctors show it on one image, then, after prayer, not on the next). Blind eyes from birth, seeing. How, if "God doesn't allow it"?

Thanks

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleMan77 View Post
    Sorry, but you can't show me one place that God's word ever justifies a belief that tongues were only for a time. I can show you many scriptures to justify "earnestly contending for THE FAITH THAT WAS ONCE DELIVERED to the saints".
    And if you want to use the "tongues shall cease" argument, tell me how "knowledge has vanished away"

New knowledge has passed away, for you know you cannot add a single prophecy to the scriptures.

I gave you proof that God TESTIFIED to what the disciples said during the LAYING OF THE FOUNDATION.

You need to type out those scriptures and answer accordingly.

Thread Information