User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The Protestant Reformation

  1. #1
    TOL Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 65 Times in 48 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10124

    The Protestant Reformation

    Today the outcome of the protestant reformation is seen in the sphere of authority in the church.
    The Word of God has lost its authority with many churches and Christians. The authority now rests with the pastors and elders.So protestants transferred the authority of the Pope and cardinals to the pastors and elders. Pastors and elders are really Pope and cardinals minus the costumes and other trappings. This is blatantly obvious in the Pentecostal model of church. Even Anglican and churches of Christ have succumbed to this dictatorial church model. We need to take back the individual believers authority and the Word of God.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BoyStan For Your Post:

    stephencbh (April 21st, 2017)

  3. #2
    Over 500 post club Bradley D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Llorente, E. Samar Philippines
    Posts
    667
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 186 Times in 128 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    149426
    The assembly has lost connection with the Word of God. Believing that going to a church meeting once a week is all they need to do. Then there is the Easter and Christmas church attenders. Each Christian is responsible to read and study the Word. Gathering together is for prayer and study to give the assembly strength.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bradley D For Your Post:

    jamie (April 21st, 2017),meshak (April 21st, 2017)

  5. #3
    LIFETIME MEMBER meshak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,100
    Thanks
    2,574
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 957 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    526230
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley D View Post
    The assembly has lost connection with the Word of God. Believing that going to a church meeting once a week is all they need to do. Then there is the Easter and Christmas church attenders. Each Christian is responsible to read and study the Word. Gathering together is for prayer and study to give the assembly strength.
    another insightful comment.

    thank you.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to meshak For Your Post:

    Bradley D (April 23rd, 2017)

  7. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Banbury UK
    Posts
    190
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyStan View Post
    Today the outcome of the protestant reformation is seen in the sphere of authority in the church.
    The Word of God has lost its authority with many churches and Christians. The authority now rests with the pastors and elders.So protestants transferred the authority of the Pope and cardinals to the pastors and elders. Pastors and elders are really Pope and cardinals minus the costumes and other trappings. This is blatantly obvious in the Pentecostal model of church. Even Anglican and churches of Christ have succumbed to this dictatorial church model. We need to take back the individual believers authority and the Word of God.
    What is the Word of God?

    500 years ago people were killing each other because of disagreements about it.

    For 2000 years the Bible has been studied, surely there is a better way to know God.

    That is my position, look at nature, look at your life, all the clues are there.


    Sent from my iPhone using TOL

  8. #5
    TOL Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 65 Times in 48 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10124
    The doctrine of The Word of God is the basic foundational truth of the Christian faith. Looking at nature and looking at yourself minus The Bible is the way of false religions and leads only to self deception. The Bible is The Word of God!

  9. #6
    TOL Subscriber TulipBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,189
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 578 Times in 459 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    134079
    What is Pastolic succession?
    Jesus said Peter will deny him.
    What success is that?

  10. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Banbury UK
    Posts
    190
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyStan View Post
    The doctrine of The Word of God is the basic foundational truth of the Christian faith. Looking at nature and looking at yourself minus The Bible is the way of false religions and leads only to self deception. The Bible is The Word of God!
    Ludicrous if you objectively think about it but for many wrong reasons your faith is tied up in it. Almost like oh, of the bible isn't all true maybe God doesn't exist.... All just fear driven.

    God makes it simple, look how loving young children are, they get it!


    Sent from my iPhone using TOL

  11. #8
    TOL Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    10,640
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 1,083 Times in 920 Posts

    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    289035
    The Catholic church has had a strong influence on the Protestant churches.

    It is not possible today to find a Protestant church that preaches the historical Gospel of Jesus Christ and justification by faith alone.

  12. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Banbury UK
    Posts
    190
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    The Catholic church has had a strong influence on the Protestant churches.

    It is not possible today to find a Protestant church that preaches the historical Gospel of Jesus Christ and justification by faith alone.
    Where can you find it? Is it quite different? What about the gnostic texts?


    Sent from my iPhone using TOL

  13. #10
    LIFETIME MEMBER jamie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,328
    Thanks
    1,298
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 1,000 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    295705
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    The Catholic church has had a strong influence on the Protestant churches.
    The Catholic church is the basis for the protestant daughter churches. That's who they are protesting.

  14. #11
    Silver Member Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,447
    Thanks
    1,118
    Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,492 Posts

    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    228736
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyStan View Post
    Today the outcome of the protestant reformation is seen in the sphere of authority in the church.
    The Word of God has lost its authority with many churches and Christians.
    Indeed, the Word of God is not held in esteem in many churches in these post-modern times, but it is not the result of the Reformation.

    Rather, the opposite is true. Those churches that cling to Presbytery principles, are the more scriptural than most others.

    The authority now rests with the pastors and elders.So protestants transferred the authority of the Pope and cardinals to the pastors and elders.
    This is not correct. The Reformers protested Papistry and still do. The authority carried in the Presbytery system is one of oversight; not oppression, of which the Papists were and remain guilty.


    Pastors and elders are really Pope and cardinals minus the costumes and other trappings.
    Those Elders of the Reformed faith eschew costumes and all religious trappings.

    This is blatantly obvious in the Pentecostal model of church. Even Anglican and churches of Christ have succumbed to this dictatorial church model.
    Reformed churches are nothing like Pentecostals (Independents) and do not have the trappings of the Anglican churches.

    We need to take back the individual believers authority and the Word of God.
    All you are advocating, is the Congregational approach to worship, which is o.k. if that is how you choose to worship.

    But please do not spread false accusations against the still-faithful Protestant Reformed churches. You are badly mistaken about them and their practices.
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  15. #12
    Silver Member Nang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,447
    Thanks
    1,118
    Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,492 Posts

    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    228736
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyStan View Post
    The doctrine of The Word of God is the basic foundational truth of the Christian faith. Looking at nature and looking at yourself minus The Bible is the way of false religions and leads only to self deception. The Bible is The Word of God!
    I am a Protestant Reformer and I totally agree and stand with you regarding Holy Scripture being the Christians' final authority and full revelation of saving Truth (Gospel of Jesus Christ).

    Sola Scriptura!
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

    " The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

    "If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nang For Your Post:

    BoyStan (April 21st, 2017)

  17. #13
    TOL Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 65 Times in 48 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10124
    Brother,I never mentioned the reformed churches. Presbytery principles are fine in theory, but one ordained man is the real authority figure in reformed churches. You take great pride in your faithfulness to scripture of the Calvin interpretation or tradition. You filter your teaching and church polity through an anti- Catholic lense. Those exercising oversight can do it in an oppressive or dictatorial or dominating manner. You laud the outward external differences between the reformed and other church traditions. Church worship of every tradition needs reform.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to BoyStan For Your Post:

    meshak (April 21st, 2017)

  19. #14
    Over 3000 post club Epoisses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    3,114
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 682 Times in 581 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    80442
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyStan View Post
    Brother,I never mentioned the reformed churches. Presbytery principles are fine in theory, but one ordained man is the real authority figure in reformed churches. You take great pride in your faithfulness to scripture of the Calvin interpretation or tradition. You filter your teaching and church polity through an anti- Catholic lense. Those exercising oversight can do it in an oppressive or dictatorial or dominating manner. You laud the outward external differences between the reformed and other church traditions. Church worship of every tradition needs reform.
    Amen. Presbytery churches uphold faith alone in Christ alone but then deny Christ as the savior of the world and shoot themselves in the foot. Oh well, Christianity is a religion where God makes buffoons of us all and then laughs us to scorn. We are all court jesters in the eyes of God.

  20. #15
    LIFETIME MEMBER meshak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,100
    Thanks
    2,574
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 957 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    526230
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyStan View Post
    Brother,I never mentioned the reformed churches. Presbytery principles are fine in theory, but one ordained man is the real authority figure in reformed churches. You take great pride in your faithfulness to scripture of the Calvin interpretation or tradition. You filter your teaching and church polity through an anti- Catholic lense. Those exercising oversight can do it in an oppressive or dictatorial or dominating manner. You laud the outward external differences between the reformed and other church traditions. Church worship of every tradition needs reform.
    well said, amen.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to meshak For Your Post:

    BoyStan (April 22nd, 2017)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us