Thread: We can only regain Eden by gaining the mastery over appetite

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can only regain Eden by gaining the mastery over appetite

Man fell through the indulgence of appetite. God had given him all the trees that were 'good for food' Genesis 2:9. He did not need to eat of the tree of knowledge. In the work of redemption Jesus began just where man had fallen. It was in order to break the power of appetite that He fasted for forty days. Jesus would not have been tried on this point if man would not face a similar temptation. Man can gain immortality only by overcoming as Christ overcame.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,835 Times in 8,398 Posts

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you doing in overcoming the world, the flesh, and the devil?
    Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    They can't compete with a real writer and grammar scholar
    You're too literal to get it.
    The New Covenant preceded the Old Covenant.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SaulToPaul For Your Post:

Tambora (April 21st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,943 Times in 4,642 Posts

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeAngels View Post
    Man can gain immortality only by overcoming as Christ overcame.
    So the Lord Jesus Christ died for nothing.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

glorydaz (April 20th, 2017),SaulToPaul (April 20th, 2017),Tambora (April 21st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 829 Posts

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man fell through the indulgence of appetite. God had given him all the trees that were 'good for food' Genesis 2:9. He did not need to eat of the tree of knowledge. In the work of redemption Jesus began just where man had fallen. It was in order to break the power of appetite that He fasted for forty days. Jesus would not have been tried on this point if man would not face a similar temptation. Man can gain immortality only by overcoming as Christ overcame.
    It is much deeper but along the same lines. The Nazarite vow is the source text. Meshiah the Nazarene shows the Way to regain Eden; for the tree was a vine-tree and its fruit like that of the grape, (Num 6:4 KJV, Eze 15:2 KJV, Eze 18:2, 3, Jer 31:29, 30, 31, Enoch 31:3-5, "Ye Shall Be Holy For I Am Holy" #2, #4), and of course that grape is sour, (sting of death).

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    So the Lord Jesus Christ died for nothing.
    He died so that He can give us grace to overcome all things. We must overcome or we cannot be saved. Jesus plainly says, "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son." Revelation 3:21, 21:7

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He died so that He can give us grace to overcome all things. We must overcome or we cannot be saved. Jesus plainly says, "To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son." Revelation 3:21, 21:7
    Did Christ die for your sins, and rise for your justification?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SaulToPaul For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaulToPaul View Post
    Did Christ die for your sins, and rise for your justification?
    Don't expect a legitimate answer. Maybe some misdirection (red herring), or the chewbacca defense, but nothing else.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Titus 1

For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't expect a legitimate answer. Maybe some misdirection (red herring), or the chewbacca defense, but nothing else.
    Star Trek vs Star Wars
    Justification vs Initial Justification

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaulToPaul For Your Post:

Nick M (April 21st, 2017),Tambora (April 21st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,556 Posts

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Star Trek vs Star Wars
    or the chewbacca defense.
    All up in my plasma core going Jedi on me!

il_570xN.835364734_8mqg.jpg
    My New Years Resolution: 1 Peter 3:15
    Omniscient without man's qualification. John 1:3 "Nothing"
    Colossians 1:17 "Nothing" John 15:5 "Nothing"
    Mighty, ALL mighty (omnipotent). Revelation 1:8
    No possible limitation Isaiah 40:25 Joshua 24:15
    Infinite (Omnipresent) Psalm 145:3 Hebrews 4:13

Is Calvinism okay? Yep

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think... Amen. -Ephesians 3:20 & 21

1Co 13:11 ... when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. Titus 3:10 Ephesians 4:29-32; 5:11

Separation of church and State is not atheism "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lon For Your Post:

SaulToPaul (April 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll show you what StP was talking about. I don't have the original link. Most of them I do, not this one. Because John W was using the quotation marks rather than quote tags.

Quote Originally Posted by godrulz
    Nick's view seems to reduce us to sock puppet automatons and requires ignoring large sections of Scripture. He also misunderstands the nature of faith vs works, morals vs metaphysics, Star Trek vs Star Wars, Venus vs Mars, etc]....You are simplistic to think it is a matter of what the Bible says when you interpret and twist to fit a preconceived idea. It is arrogant to assume that godly, capable, great thinkers through the centuries who reject MAD (new doctrine anyway) are clueless or without the leading of the Spirit

Titus 1

Ephesians 5

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star Trek vs Star Wars
    Here is that one.

Quote Originally Posted by godrulz View Post
    I believe it in context, not as a proof text for your views. Justification is about our initial coming to Christ when we are declared righteous (legal term) and our past sins are dealt with. At that point of conversion, there are no future sins yet. Reconciliation deals with our past sins....My objection is to think we can persist in sheer rebellion, sin, and disobedience with impunity because non-existent sins have blanket forgiveness just because our past sins were dealt with at justification.

Titus 1

Ephesians 5

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as I have godrulz's folder open....

You are guilty of eisegesis because you are clueless about theology and exegesis.

We can read and quote the same verses, but interpret them differently, just like millions of Christians do.

I accept that we are dead to sin and alive to Christ, but other verses also teach against your sinless perfectionism. What does it mean? I can reject your wrong understanding without rejecting Bible, gospel, Christ.

You are wrongly assuming you are infallible and anyone who disagrees with you is a dope (despite your views being refuted over and over throughout church history from the Bible).

Your circ gospel post cross is what rejects the gospel of grace, whereas non-Calvinistic views do not, despite how much Calvinists jump up and down promoting straw man myths about free will theism.
    I could not say this to somebody with a straight face.

Titus 1

Ephesians 5

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star Trek vs Star Wars
    I found another one.

Romans 4:7 is talking about initial justification, not subsequent lapses. Our past sins are not counted against us. This does not mean that God is blind to our future sins and winks at them as we fall into them again. It should not be extrapolated as unconditional forgiveness while persisting in sin in the future. There is provision for future sin, but the forgiveness of non-existent sins does not make sense (you are an Open Theist who should know a specific sin may or may not come to pass).

Titus 1

Ephesians 5

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

godrulz classics

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SaulToPaul For Your Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 829 Posts

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems as if no one else here actually understands your OP? Perhaps you might elaborate and use more scripture? Are you hinting at some form of vegetarianism or veganism? ("Thou shalt not murder-kill", period, without stipulation, hehe)? Or more so speaking of overcoming and "attaining" to the resurrection as Paul speaks about? For example, concerning what you might mean (?) about immortality; Paul teaches not to have a mind whereas we might assume we have already "obtained" or "arrived" at such things, and he mentions this in the context of the resurrection, (Philippians 3:10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15). Perhaps you might narrow and define the topic a little more?

Thread Information