User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 116

Thread: Coal jobs on the comeback since 2016

  1. #1
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,723
    Thanks
    4,295
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,510 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    727996

    Coal jobs on the comeback since 2016

    https://m.townhall.com/columnists/st...eback-n2314519

    Kmoney was telling me coal was never coming back. I guess his MSM sources forgot a few pertinent details.

    Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to ClimateSanity For Your Post:

    Angel4Truth (April 24th, 2017)

  3. #2
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,928
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 861 Times in 584 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    226031
    From the link:
    Since the low point in October 2016, and following years of painful layoffs in the mining industry, the mining sector has added 35,000 jobs.

    What a turnaround. Liberals have been saying that Donald Trump was lying to the American people when he said that he could bring coal jobs back. Well, so far, he has delivered on his promise.

    So good, he can go back in time and make things better, um?

    Not very likely. The increase in jobs is almost entirely in the West not Appalachia. And by shutting down EPA rules, Trump has made it easier to just remove mountaintops, to get at the coal, a process that is much less labor-intensive than mining underground. There was a spike in employment when EPA required that the land be remediated when mountaintop removal was done, making underground mining more economically attractive.

    A bounce in US coal production won't help many coal country Trump voters

    U.S. coal production is forecast to rise slightly in the first two years of Donald Trump's presidency, but many Trump voters in coal country will not see job gains.

    In fact, the Appalachian region — which Trump carried handily — could lose more than 1,000 coal mining jobs in the next two years, according to one analysis. Meanwhile, a small part of Wyoming is likely to reap most of the labor gains.

    Failure to stem the bleeding in coal country could be a liability for Trump. The president has vowed to put miners back to work, but has not presented a plan B in case his policies — which focus on killing regulations — cannot counter the market forces behind U.S. coal's long, steady decline.

    One of those forces is surging supplies of cheap, cleaner-burning natural gas, which has eaten into coal's market share.

    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/09/a-bou...mp-voters.html

    Even if they wanted to move to Wyoming, they wouldn't have the skills necessary for the jobs available there. This is why even coal company executives warn that Trump can't keep his promise:

    Top US coal boss Robert Murray: Trump 'can't bring mining jobs back'
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...n-donald-trump
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    annabenedetti (April 18th, 2017),Arthur Brain (April 18th, 2017),Foxfire (April 18th, 2017),Rusha (April 18th, 2017)

  5. #3
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,352 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147694
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    So good, he can go back in time and make things better, um?
    was that one of his campaign promises, um?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    ClimateSanity (April 18th, 2017)

  7. #4
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,723
    Thanks
    4,295
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,510 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    727996
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    From the link:
    Since the low point in October 2016, and following years of painful layoffs in the mining industry, the mining sector has added 35,000 jobs.

    What a turnaround. Liberals have been saying that Donald Trump was lying to the American people when he said that he could bring coal jobs back. Well, so far, he has delivered on his promise.

    So good, he can go back in time and make things better, um?

    ]
    Trump said he could bring coal jobs back. The skeptics said it was impossible. It can't be impossible is 35,000 jobs came back since 2016. Trump was running for president in 2016 and made it a major campaign theme. Regardless of whether his campaign made an impact or nor, evidently it's not impossible to bring back the coal industry. The 35,000 since 2016 is impressive and the 11,000 in March is huge. That right there proves the critics wrong.

    I will add to this post as time permits, It takes way too long to format the post so as to respond to all points on this android.

    Barbarian said "
    The increase in jobs is almost entirely in the West not Appalachia. "

    I guess you think this means all future gains in jobs will not be in Appalachia? Proof?

    Barbarian said "And by shutting down EPA rules, Trump has made it easier to just remove mountaintops, to get at the coal, a process that is much less labor-intensive than mining underground. There was a spike in employment when EPA required that the land be remediated when mountaintop removal was done, making underground mining more economically attractive."

    Are you saying that shutting down EPA rules made underground mining more attractive and contributed to the 35,000 increase in jobs since 2016?

    If not, what's your point?
    Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ClimateSanity For Your Post:

    Angel4Truth (April 24th, 2017)

  9. #5
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,352 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147694
    CS - i don't know if you've had the pleasure of meeting barbie, widely recognized as the most dishonest poster on the site and a troll par excellence

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    Angel4Truth (April 24th, 2017)

  11. #6
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,723
    Thanks
    4,295
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,510 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    727996
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    CS - i don't know if you've had the pleasure of meeting barbie, widely recognized as the most dishonest poster on the site and a troll par excellence
    Yes. I'm Voltaire. I thought you knew.

    Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

  12. #7
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,352 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147694
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    Yes. I'm Voltaire. I thought you knew.
    if i did, i've forgotten

    did we play nice together in the past?

  13. #8
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,723
    Thanks
    4,295
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,510 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    727996
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    if i did, i've forgotten

    did we play nice together in the past?
    I thought you were strange and a troll. But like glorydaz, I now understand you better. We really never had much interaction when I was Voltaire.

    Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

  14. #9
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,352 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147694
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    I thought you were strange and a troll.
    very perceptive of you

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    ClimateSanity (April 18th, 2017)

  16. #10
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,928
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 861 Times in 584 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    226031
    I see Voltaire hasn't changed much. When the facts don't fit his narrative, he falls back into his troll mode. Let's see if we can keep him honest this time...

    Trump said he could bring coal jobs back. The skeptics said it was impossible.
    As you just learned, coal executives said it wasn't going to happen.


    It can't be impossible is 35,000 jobs came back since 2016. Trump was running for president in 2016 and made it a major campaign theme.
    So Obama changed the rules to make it better? I don't think so. And as you learned, most of the increase was in Wyoming, and the skills needed aren't those traditional miners have.



    Barbarian said "
    The increase in jobs is almost entirely in the West not Appalachia. "

    I guess you think this means all future gains in jobs will not be in Appalachia?
    It means that the increase in jobs is almost entirely in the west, not in Appalachia. This kind of thing is exactly why you have a reputation for dishonesty here.

    Proof?
    See above. You completely misrepresented what I said (which is from the source I linked).

    Barbarian said "And by shutting down EPA rules, Trump has made it easier to just remove mountaintops, to get at the coal, a process that is much less labor-intensive than mining underground. There was a spike in employment when EPA required that the land be remediated when mountaintop removal was done, making underground mining more economically attractive."

    Are you saying that shutting down EPA rules made underground mining more attractive and contributed to the 35,000 increase in jobs since 2016?
    Read the source. Above-ground mining is more difficult to do within EPA rules. Hence, underground (and more labor-intensive) mining became more economical. Remove those rules, and you cut jobs.

    On the other hand, Trump has signed off on continuing Obama's clean coal projects, which might eventually make coal a desirable energy source again. On the downside, Trump wants to pull restrictions from natural gas fracking, which will make natural gas cheaper, and have the effect of further disadvantaging coal, taking away more coal-mining jobs.

    The real world is a lot more complex than your talking points. Come and see someday.
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (April 18th, 2017),Foxfire (April 18th, 2017)

  18. #11
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,352 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147694
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    This kind of thing is exactly why you have a reputation for dishonesty here.

    haven't changed a bit, have you?

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    Angel4Truth (April 24th, 2017),ClimateSanity (April 18th, 2017)

  20. #12
    Over 5000 post club The Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,928
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 861 Times in 584 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    226031
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    haven't changed a bit, have you?
    (The Evil Barbarian is resorting to facts, again)
    Let's say that I suffer from a delusion. I will call this delusion "Fact-check Syndrome." I respond by citing facts.

    Most people online don't want to be corrected. They do not care about anything that does not agree with them.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Barbarian For Your Post:

    Arthur Brain (April 18th, 2017),Rusha (April 18th, 2017)

  22. #13
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,723
    Thanks
    4,295
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,510 Posts

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    727996
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    (The Evil Barbarian is resorting to facts, again)
    ......and selective facts at that.... facts that distort the whole story......try putting things in context...try not leaving any important facts out.

    Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

  23. #14
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,352 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147694
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    (The Evil Barbarian is resorting to facts, again)
    i wouldn't call you evil, barbie

    but i would agree with knight's assessment of you:

    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    The Barbarian is a jerk ...

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    Angel4Truth (April 24th, 2017)

  25. #15
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,352 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147694
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I'm sad to hear that Knight would like to permanently ban me, and maybe it's time for me to close out my time here.
    you should have stuck with plan A

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us