Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,689 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Born of God? I thought the man was riding in a chariot.
    That would be "borne" Mr. Bourne

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    There can be no doubt that the eunuch received eternal life and was "born of God" before he was baptized with water so we can know that being baptized with water does not contribute in any way to anyone being saved.
    If water does not contribute in any way, then what does Jesus mean by this?
    Jn. 3:5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
    Wretched man that I am.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,797 Times in 2,326 Posts

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turbosixx View Post
    If water does not contribute in any way, then what does Jesus mean by this?
    Jn. 3:5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
    The word "water" is used to mean the "word," as illustrated by this verse:

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word"
    (Eph.5:26).

The Lord's words to Nicodemus were in regard to being "born again" and here Peter tells us exactly how a person is born again:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23).

Here the Lord Jesus' words speak how a person is born of the word and the Spirit:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6:63).

Today believers are born of the Spirit when they believe the gospel which comes in the Holy Spirit:

"For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirt, and in much assurance"
    (1 Thess.1:5).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

Tambora (April 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word"
    Let's start with just this one. How did the eunuch know he needed to be baptized in water?
    Wretched man that I am.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 906 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today believers are born of the Spirit when they believe the gospel which comes in the Holy Spirit:
    You said the Ethiopian was born of God and yet he was riding in a chariot. How do you explain that?

All I want is God's Truth God's Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,153 Posts

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Lord's words to Nicodemus were in regard to being "born again" and here Peter tells us exactly how a person is born again:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23).

Here the Lord Jesus' words speak how a person is born of the word and the Spirit:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6:63).

"For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirt, and in much assurance"
    (1 Thess.1:5).
    We are born again by the washing from the Spirit after we repent of our sins and believe.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!
    Do not just read the word do it.

Thanks

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's start with just this one. How did the eunuch know he needed to be baptized in water?
    I think that he learned of it at verse 35.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Truth View Post
    We are born again by the washing from the Spirit after we repent of our sins and believe.
    It is when we believe when we know we are to repent of our sins. And by then we are already saved.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    To be as plain as I can be, the unbeliever must first be given some spark of spiritual life, regenerated, before that person is now in possession of the moral ability to believe.
    The "life" of which you speak comes as a result of believing, not before believing, as the Calvinists teach:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:30-31).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

glorydaz (April 20th, 2017),Tambora (April 21st, 2017)

All I want is God's Truth God's Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,153 Posts

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is when we believe when we know we are to repent of our sins. And by then we are already saved.
    I am not talking about water baptism.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!
    Do not just read the word do it.

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) ☜☜☜☞☞☞☞ A Calvinist! ☜☜☜☜☜☜ Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,459 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Jesus is God a Requirement For True Faith

The "life" of which you speak comes as a result of believing, not before believing, as the Calvinists teach:
    "And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:30-31).
    Just proof that you never acknowledge what has come before, but simply continue to repeat your claims as if you have settled the matter:

http://theologyonline.com/showthread...=1#post4887532

AMR
    WARNING: Embedded link content that may be in my post above or the many embedded links my sig below are not for the faint of heart.

Founder, Reformed Theology Institute
    AMR's Randomata Blog
    Learn Reformed Doctrine
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Christian, catholic, Calvinist, confessional, Presbyterian (PCA).
    Lex orandi, lex credenda: everyone is a Calvinist on their knees.
    The best TOL Social Group: here.
    If your username appears in blue and you have over 500 posts:
    Why?

Thanks

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    You said the Ethiopian was born of God and yet he was riding in a chariot. How do you explain that?
    Moreover the passage of the Scripture which he was reading was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and as a lamb before his shearer is dumb, so he opened not his mouth, in his humiliation his judgment was taken away: who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth. And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I beseech you, of whom does the Prophet speak this? of himself, or of some other? And Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture, (Isa 53:7-8), preached . . .

And as they traversed according to the Way, they came to a certain water; and the eunuch said, Behold, water! (Isa 54:9).

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, the words he heard. Phillip told him the good news(gospel) about Jesus so from that we can know that baptism is part of the gospel. Let's put that theory to the test.

When we look at the conversion of Cornelius, after hearing the word of the Lord and being given the Holy Spirit Peter commands them to be baptized.
    Acts 10:47 "Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?" 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.

Again, the jailer. They told him the word of the Lord and was baptized.
    Acts 16:32 And they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their wounds; and he was baptized at once, he and all his family.

Again, the conversion of the men in Ephesus, we see that they were taught accurately the things concerning Jesus with one exception. Paul doesn't question the good news they heard about Jesus. He considers them believers, but he doesn't give them the Holy Spirit until they have been properly baptized in Jesus' name. Acts 18:24-19:6

To help us understand how Christians are converted, the bible gives us about 12 examples through out Acts all the way into Paul's last journey and each time they were baptized in the name of Jesus just as Jesus instructed on how to make Christians.
    Wretched man that I am.

Thanks

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    Just proof that you never acknowledge what has come before, but simply continue to repeat your claims as if you have settled the matter
    As usual you try as hard as you can to prove that life precedes faith despite the fact that the Apostle John makes it plain the life comes as a result of believing.

Are you not even aware that when we are made alive with Christ we are saved:

"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved" (Eph.2:4-5).

You Calvinists do not even understand the most basic things in regard to how a person receives spiritual life.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, the words he heard. Phillip told him the good news(gospel) about Jesus so from that we can know that baptism is part of the gospel. Let's put that theory to the test.

When we look at the conversion of Cornelius, after hearing the word of the Lord and being given the Holy Spirit Peter commands them to be baptized.
    Acts 10:47 "Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?" 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.
    Did you not notice that the Holy Spirit fell on Cornelius BEFORE he was baptized with water?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Shugart For Your Post:

Thread Information