User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Do You Get Offended?

  1. #16
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    13,103
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 559 Times in 504 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnkrbl123! View Post
    He was just making a joke - He was saying "I never get offended" but saying it in a way that he purposely pretended to be very offended ("how dare you!"). Its hard to explain but i hope that makes a bit of sense
    I said
    lol I understand that, and it is funny. But that doesn't change the fact I still don't know what "How Dare You means. I really don't.

  2. #17
    Over 500 post club Tnkrbl123!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    542
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 182 Times in 144 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    40031
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I said
    lol I understand that, and it is funny. But that doesn't change the fact I still don't know what "How Dare You means. I really don't.
    Oh ok I get it now. It is just a common saying/expression/idiom/turn-of-phrase that people say to express indignation or when you think something is unacceptable or outrageous.
    2 examples I came across used in a sentence are:

    "How dare you speak to your mother that way? Apologize right now!"
    or...
    "You think you can brazenly cheat and get away with it? How dare you!?"

    does that help?

  3. #18
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    13,103
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 559 Times in 504 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnkrbl123! View Post
    Oh ok I get it now. It is just a common saying/expression/idiom/turn-of-phrase that people say to express indignation or when you think something is unacceptable or outrageous.
    2 examples I came across used in a sentence are:

    "How dare you speak to your mother that way? Apologize right now!"
    or...
    "You think you can brazenly cheat and get away with it? How dare you!?"

    does that help?
    I said
    Not really. I thought for sure someone could define it so that it made sense. That was why I asked.

  4. #19
    Over 500 post club Tnkrbl123!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    542
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 182 Times in 144 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    40031
    There is no dictionary definition because it is a turn-of-phrase and a common expression. It is an idiom. When someone says "how dare you" they are expressing indignation toward someone. It is a common saying to express outrage in a situation. That's the definition.

    "a common saying that expresses outrage or indignation" that is the definition... you can look it up but that is the definition I got.

    Then I gave you 2 examples so you could see how that phrase is used in a sentence. It doesn't get much simpler than that I'm sorry.

  5. #20
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    13,103
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 559 Times in 504 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnkrbl123! View Post
    There is no dictionary definition because it is a turn-of-phrase and a common expression. It is an idiom. When someone says "how dare you" they are expressing indignation toward someone. It is a common saying to express outrage in a situation. That's the definition.

    "a common saying that expresses outrage or indignation" that is the definition... you can look it up but that is the definition I got.

    Then I gave you 2 examples so you could see how that phrase is used in a sentence. It doesn't get much simpler than that I'm sorry.
    I said
    Well thanks for your help. I have always seen it as camouflage that intellectuals use to escape giving an honest answer.
    Last edited by Squeaky; April 17th, 2018 at 03:18 AM.

  6. #21
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    15,966
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 685 Times in 635 Posts

    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    122744
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    Do Words Offend You?
    Heb 4:12-13
    12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.
    Matt 13:57
    57 So they were offended at Him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house."
    Matt 11:6
    6 "And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me."
    Matt 24:8-13
    8 "All these are the beginning of sorrows.
    9 "Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake.
    10 "And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another.
    11 "Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.
    12 "And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.
    13 "But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
    1 Tim 4:1-2
    1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,
    2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron,
    Col 2:8
    8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.
    2 Tim 4:2-4
    2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
    3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;
    4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
    Mark 7:7
    7 And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'
    Rom 8:7-8
    7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
    8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
    (NKJ)
    xxx A born again Christian cannot be offended. To be offended one has to have an unclean spirit in them. All emotions are unclean spirits. If you get offended it is because an unclean spirit in you doesnt want you to hear the truth. So he jumps up with a strong feeling and then lies to you. The truth will always arouse unclean spirits. We are suppose to resist the devil and he will have to leave us. He doesnt the first time you resist him, but he does get weaker every time you resist him. Until he has to leave.

    James 3:1-2

    1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
    2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
    (KJV)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    Matt 11:6
    6 "And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me."
    (NKJ)


    Gal 5:24-26
    24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
    25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
    26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
    (NKJ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    If you get offended, you have an unclean spirit in you. The only way to get rid of an unclean spirit is to resist him. Don't give into him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    James 3:2
    2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
    (KJV)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    Matt 26:31
    31 Then Jesus said to them, "All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: 'I will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'
    (NKJ)

    Matt 26:33-35
    33 Peter answered and said to Him, "Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble."
    34 Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times."
    35 Peter said to Him, "Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!" And so said all the disciples.
    (NKJ)

    2 Cor 11:20-31
    20 For you put up with it if one brings you into bondage, if one devours you, if one takes from you, if one exalts himself, if one strikes you on the face.
    21 To our shame, I say that we were too weak for that! But in whatever anyone is bold-- I speak foolishly-- I am bold also.
    22 Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? So am I.
    23 Are they ministers of Christ?-- I speak as a fool-- I am more: in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often.
    24 From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one.
    25 Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep;
    26 in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
    27 in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness--
    28 besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches.
    29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I do not burn with indignation?
    30 If I must boast, I will boast in the things which concern my infirmity.
    31 The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is blessed forever, knows that I am not lying.
    (NKJ)
    Shalom.

    Today is Shlishli, Ziv 2.

    It is evening, erev. It is night, laylah.

    Words are not and should not be an offense to you or me or anyone. Hearing words is different than writing or typing words. Your words is simply different than scripture or the words of scripture. I try not to be easily offended. Or, I try to not be easily offended. That people can be hurt or injured by words is understood. What a person says may be different than their use of words.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    13,103
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 559 Times in 504 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Shalom.

    Today is Shlishli, Ziv 2.

    It is evening, erev. It is night, laylah.

    Words are not and should not be an offense to you or me or anyone. Hearing words is different than writing or typing words. Your words is simply different than scripture or the words of scripture. I try not to be easily offended. Or, I try to not be easily offended. That people can be hurt or injured by words is understood. What a person says may be different than their use of words.
    I said
    lol Your multiple thread rants are proof you get offended. But that is only because you don't have the Holy Spirit. Your devil is driving you in revenge posting.


    55 But He turned and rebuked them, and said, "You do not know what manner of spirit you are of.

  8. #23
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    15,966
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 685 Times in 635 Posts

    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    122744
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I said
    lol Your multiple thread rants are proof you get offended. But that is only because you don't have the Holy Spirit. Your devil is driving you in revenge posting.


    55 But He turned and rebuked them, and said, "You do not know what manner of spirit you are of.
    What revenge? Do you understand what you are saying?
    I do not know what multiple thread rants are.
    I do know that I was responding or replying to your posts or threads and you said you are going on vacation, again I guess. That is okay.
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    13,103
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 559 Times in 504 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    What revenge? Do you understand what you are saying?
    I do not know what multiple thread rants are.
    I do know that I was responding or replying to your posts or threads and you said you are going on vacation, again I guess. That is okay.
    I said
    lol Multiple thread rants is what your doing right now. Throwing out some ridiculous logic that ony you believe.

    Your not coherent

    co·her·ent


    /ˌkōˈhirənt/


    adjective

    1.
    (of an argument, theory, or policy) logical and consistent:

    "they failed to develop a coherent economic strategy"
    synonyms:
    logical, reasoned, reasonable, rational, sound, ... more
    antonyms:
    muddled
    Last edited by Squeaky; April 17th, 2018 at 09:32 AM.

  10. #25
    TOL Legend Jacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington
    Posts
    15,966
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 685 Times in 635 Posts

    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    122744
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I said
    lol Multiple thread rants is what your doing right now. Throwing out some ridiculous logic that ony you believe.

    Your not coherent

    co·her·ent


    /ˌkōˈhirənt/


    adjective

    1.
    (of an argument, theory, or policy) logical and consistent:

    "they failed to develop a coherent economic strategy"
    synonyms:
    logical, reasoned, reasonable, rational, sound, ... more
    antonyms:
    muddled
    interesting
    I don't know what multiple thread rants are and I don't rant
    Saying so uses the word but without doing so would you understand what I am responding to without you being or becoming in control of me?
    Bereishit - Genesis - Chapter 1

    1 In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.
    :א בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ

    In beginning He created God the heavens and the earth

  11. #26
    Over 500 post club Tnkrbl123!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    542
    Thanks
    299
    Thanked 182 Times in 144 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    40031
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I said
    Well thanks for your help. I have always seen it as camouflage that intellectuals use to escape giving an honest answer.
    Me offering my help to you is a camoflouge?
    Or what did you mean?

  12. #27
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    13,103
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 559 Times in 504 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnkrbl123! View Post
    Me offering my help to you is a camoflouge?
    Or what did you mean?
    I said
    No not you. But intellectual people that use the phrase seriously I think are trying to cover up something.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us