User Tag List

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: And Jesus Said Unto Paul of Ryan ...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,436 Posts

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So keep your candles burning
    "Nevertheless, she persisted."
    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (March 19th, 2017),exminister (March 19th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,436 Posts

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pondsbb View Post
    I remember meals on wheels used to come by my in-laws and leave food once a week. I used to wonder why because they had food. They also had a family to aid if they needed it. We provided them a very nice home and would never have allowed them to be hungry.
    Meals on Wheels doesn't just drop by with food for no reason. The service had to have been ordered. The fee is determined by a sliding scale based on income, so forms had to have been filled out and any dietary restrictions would have been ascertained. So apparently, someone thought there was a need.
    So keep your candles burning
    "Nevertheless, she persisted."
    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Town Heretic (March 19th, 2017)

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,073 Times in 3,082 Posts

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Sure there is. People can be addicted to opiates and/or opioids.
    i recognize physical addiction which is easy to overcome

i do not recognize psychological addiction

At last, a chance to take people’s health insurance** away.

** paid for by other people

Thanks
    Thanked 4,960 Times in 2,925 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Meals on Wheels doesn't just drop by with food for no reason. The service had to have been ordered. The fee is determined by a sliding scale based on income, so forms had to have been filled out and any dietary restrictions would have been ascertained. So apparently, someone thought there was a need.
    Thanks for underscoring the problem of many who weigh in to impugn the good. They don't really tend to understand what they're criticizing.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (March 19th, 2017)

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ...apparently, someone thought there was a need.

I remember meals on wheels used to come by my in-laws and leave food once a week. I used to wonder why because they had food. They also had a family to aid if they needed it. We provided them a very nice home and would never have allowed them to be hungry.

apparently not the someone who actually has any experience with this particular situation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 974 Posts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read that Trump's proposed budget cuts would have a major adverse impact on our local Meals on Wheels program. Who knows what Congress will actually do with it but it's causing some major worries.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it must have been someone ripping off government. That is no surprise, as I have noticed so much of it.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post

apparently not the someone who actually has any experience with this particular situation
    Or maybe his in-laws paid full price because they were getting on in years and it was an affordable way to eat nutritious meals without preparing them. Maybe they no longer felt able to do that and were embarrassed or anxious about family knowing. Maybe a lot of things that aren't frivolous and wasteful. They signed up for them. They wanted them and, whatever their reason, they paid what they could for them along that sliding scale anna noted.

Also, just so people understand, the program is a nonprofit that gets most of its money from corporate contributions and private donations. But the proposed slash to HHS programs would hurt the least empowered in our society to be sure. How much depends on how much those cuts end up being.

Mick Mulvaney, Trump's budget director, wants you to believe the block grants (from which support for programs like Meals comes) "Just aren't showing results". One wonders what he expects. People are being fed who need to be. That's what the program was designed to do and money going to it from that block grant is showing the result expected. Or, as USA Today put it, in the case of MOW:

...scientific studies have found Meals on Wheels programs are effective in improving nutrition among the elderly. And they're cost effective, because keeping older adults in their homes is less expensive than nursing-home care.

Pro-Life

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

annabenedetti (March 19th, 2017),Arthur Brain (March 19th, 2017)

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Or maybe his in-laws paid full price because they were getting on in years and it was an affordable way to eat nutritious meals without preparing them. Maybe they no longer felt able to do that and were embarrassed or anxious about family knowing. Maybe a lot of things that aren't frivolous and wasteful. They signed up for them. They wanted them and, whatever their reason, they paid what they could for them along that sliding scale anna noted.

Also, just so people understand, the program is a nonprofit that gets most of its money from corporate contributions and private donations. But the proposed slash to HHS programs would hurt the least empowered in our society to be sure. How much depends on how much those cuts end up being.

Mick Mulvaney, Trump's budget director, wants you to believe the block grants (from which support for programs like Meals comes) "Just aren't showing results". One wonders what this clown expects. People are being fed who need to be. That's what the program was designed to do and money going to it from that block grant is showing the result expected. Or, as USA Today put it:

scientific studies have found Meals on Wheels programs are effective in improving nutrition among the elderly. And they're cost effective, because keeping older adults in their homes is less expensive than nursing-home care.
    in what ways does the Meals on Wheels program work to make their clients independent of their service?

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mick Mulvaney, Trump's budget director, wants you to believe the block grants (from which support for programs like Meals comes) "Just aren't showing results". One wonders what this clown expects. People are being fed who need to be. That's what the program was designed to do and money going to it from that block grant is showing the result expected. Or, as USA Today put it:

scientific studies have found Meals on Wheels programs are effective in improving nutrition among the elderly. And they're cost effective, because keeping older adults in their homes is less expensive than nursing-home care.
    I can say my in-laws had a very limited income. We provided their housing and many of their needs, as did other family members. I have no idea why meals on wheels would provide them.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

in what ways does the Meals on Wheels program work to make their clients independent?
    That's not always the point of a worthwhile program, or even possible, but it can be the least expensive alternative, as the USA article I noted referenced. This program may very well help people remain more independent, keep them out of that greater expense (and drain on government resources) that nursing homes largely entail by making sure they receive solid nutritional value in the form of meals they might not be able to prepare for themselves regularly or at all. It's also a way to keep tabs on the ongoing condition within a senior's home who may be fighting to live as independently as possible on their own, with minimal or no other outside assistance.

And, beyond all of that, it serves the good.

I can say my in-laws had a very limited income. We provided their housing and many of their needs, as did other family members. I have no idea why meals on wheels would provide them.
    You just told me why. Maybe it was a way to feel like less of a drain on their family. Maybe it was the best way for them to get what they needed without asking for more from people who were doing a lot for them to begin with. In any event, they had to qualify and they felt the need.

Pro-Life

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

annabenedetti (March 19th, 2017),Arthur Brain (March 19th, 2017)

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    i added to what you responded to, to clarify my intention

"independent of the service meals on wheels provides"

any government social program should work to eliminate itself, to address the root cause of the need and make itself unnecessary

of course, that's just not the way government works, is it?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

any government social program should work to eliminate itself, to address the root cause of the need and make itself unnecessary
    Rather, a good government and people should work to eliminate the need that necessitates the program. I've set out the particular defense of wheels, both economically and morally. The program is designed to eliminate hunger and malnutrition among its target base. It does that. It does more. If you want to make it obsolete you're going to have to change something else. Old age isn't going anywhere.

Pro-Life

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rather, a good government and people should work to eliminate the need that necessitates the program.
    rather, that's the same thing i said

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather, a good government and people should work to eliminate the need that necessitates the program. I've set out the particular defense of wheels, both economically and morally. The program is designed to eliminate hunger and malnutrition among its target base. It does that. It does more. If you want to make it obsolete you're going to have to change something else. Old age isn't going anywhere.
    Ha thanks for that. I so agree that old age isn't going anywhere. Made me laugh a little at my aching knees and back.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to pondsbb For Your Post:

Town Heretic (March 19th, 2017)

Thread Information