User Tag List

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: And Jesus Said Unto Paul of Ryan ...

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The premise of the entire original post is that Paul Ryan is making "charity" decisions with taxpayer's money. Ryan taking more from one class or another for "charity", in a forced tax situation, is in no way "charity".

If you wish to be real, as Jesus would have us be truthful, then use Ryan's own money. Then you could turn it into a truthful "charity" situation.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pondsbb View Post
    Jesus would never tell the government to rob the middle class and give it to the poor. Charity must come from one's heart and not a Robin Hood situation.

He never said rob the middle class and the poor and give it to the rich. But he repeatedly by word and deed showed that we should have compassion for those in need.
    Proverbs 17:19 Whoever loves a quarrel loves sin

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    Individuals can help people much better than the government can. Government programs for the poor help bureaucrats and social service workers more than they help the poor.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app
    A flimsy assertion at best. Both can hurt and both can help. Governments can be examined and challenged. Individuals generally not.

Government gave us national roads and developed medical science and technology like no one individual could. There are programs that help the poor but many love to focus on any anecdotal negatives. Guess what - we don't live in a perfect world.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to exminister For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (March 17th, 2017)

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exminister View Post
    He never said rob the middle class and the poor and give it to the rich. But he repeatedly by word and deed showed that we should have compassion for those in need.
    Yes and that is the kicker. To help out of compassion.
    Taxes show no help from compassion.

As a matter of fact, taxes are collected from Buddhists, Muslims, even Witches and atheists.

Since when is the government in the business of making sure these people show compassion? For the government to extract too many taxes shows no compassion for any of these.

I am sure many Christians don't care, but the government is suppose to represent all people.

The premise of this entire original post is completely off Biblical perspective.

Ryan is trying to represent all people and he is not telling us taxes are" charity".

Think of all the tax deductions...Ha.

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 1,073 Posts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A flimsy assertion at best. Both can hurt and both can help. Governments can be examined and challenged. Individuals generally not.

Government gave us national roads and developed medical science and technology like no one individual could. There are programs that help the poor but many love to focus on any anecdotal negatives. Guess what - we don't live in a perfect world.
    Can you name a single time you really helped someone where you can claim the government would have done a better job?

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 1,073 Posts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Government gave us national roads and developed medical science and technology like no one individual could. .
    The only time this would even remotely apply to what i said is if your neighbors driveway was washed out. You certainly could repair his driveway faster and with better quality than the government.

Highways and infrastructure are not acts of compassion; they are acts of making capitalism more efficient. They make all of us more profitable and more able to compassionately help our neighbor.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you name a single time you really helped someone where you can claim the government would have done a better job?
    My mother and father with Medicare.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to exminister For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (March 17th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pondsbb View Post
    Yes and that is the kicker. To help out of compassion.
    Taxes show no help from compassion.

As a matter of fact, taxes are collected from Buddhists, Muslims, even Witches and atheists.

Since when is the government in the business of making sure these people show compassion? For the government to extract too many taxes shows no compassion for any of these.

I am sure many Christians don't care, but the government is suppose to represent all people.

The premise of this entire original post is completely off Biblical perspective.

Ryan is trying to represent all people and he is not telling us taxes are" charity".

Think of all the tax deductions...Ha.

The government doesn't make people show compassion but it reflects the compassion of the people. Greedy people don't have compassion. The US government has shown its' people's compassion through the decades. The US taxpayers had compassion for Europe after WWII and paid to rebuild it. The people had compassion for the civil rights of black people and the government was the vehicle to bring an end to slavery and apartheid. The people have compassion for those in need and that is why the US governments uses the people's taxes for aid relief around the world. Few governments around the world reflect the compassion of its' people. The US is one of them. Trump and the alt-right want to change that and just feed their greed. If that is what you want that is what we will get, but it is available just about everywhere else around the world. The US in so many ways is a shining light on the hill. I hope and pray this administration will not snuff that out.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,703 Times in 2,815 Posts

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The government doesn't make people show compassion but it reflects the compassion of the people. Greedy people don't have compassion.
    is it just for the government to force "greedy" people to participate in acts of compassion that they would prefer not to?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only time this would even remotely apply to what i said is if your neighbors driveway was washed out. You certainly could repair his driveway faster and with better quality than the government.

Highways and infrastructure are not acts of compassion; they are acts of making capitalism more efficient. They make all of us more profitable and more able to compassionately help our neighbor.

I don't do asphalt so I would do a terrible job. I know my limits. The Republican Eisenhower built the national roads and he did a fine job across the country. I certainly could not do that by myself. Trump talks about improving our infrastructure which I couldn't fix at all. I hope he does more than just talk.

The government is the heart and will of the people, at least in the US.

Are you an anarchist by the way? If so then I guess there is no convincing you of how the government is not pure evil. I wonder why no anarchist state has ever survived?

I suppose the police have no compassion since they are paid by the "evil" government.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    is it just for the government to force "greedy" people to participate in acts of compassion that they would prefer not to?
    hmmm...are you an anarchist?

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    hmmm...are you an anarchist?
    not generally, but i'm reading a bio of Rousseau at the moment

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not generally, but i'm reading a bio of Rousseau at the moment
    Your line of thinking makes sense for an anarchist. No one should be forced to do anything they don't agree with. No government - no one can be forced against their will, at least idealistically speaking.

So that doesn't work in a democracy. The will of the people, which is the majority, make decisions that some will not like but must follow or be penalized. The best for the most served is the idea. In the US the minority can and will be heard (1st amendment) so that is an advantage. And if they can make a convincing argument it might persuade the majority which is what we see all the time.

All the current "ugliness" is democracy at work. As long as we stick with our principles as found in the Constitution we will come out better. If our balance of power and media are beat into submission, then our grand 1776 journey may be ending and we will be like most other countries.

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    and a government should be rooted in just decisions and just treatment of its citizens, regardless of whether they choose to be greedy

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and a government should be rooted in just decisions and just treatment of its citizens, regardless of whether they choose to be greedy
    Agreed, but unbridled greed must be checked. Today money in politics is distorting the picture. If someone is being greedy and kicking widows out of their home without regard is a place where citizens are not being justly treated. I know its a moral dilemma to want the greedy to get every penny they can and alternatively to have compassion for the needy, but in general I think Americans are more compassionate than greedy. They certainly exhibit it in many ways including wanting their taxes to help those in need. They do know But For The Grace Of God go they. Even heathen Samaritans know this.

Thread Information