User Tag List

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: And Jesus Said Unto Paul of Ryan ...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 Times in 3,155 Posts

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    I imagine there are recipients who have family that would be capable of providing more. I know for my own family, I have a sick uncle that is getting government support. Could we gather more of our own resources to help, even if not 100%? Probably. But the gov't program is there. I wonder how many people use gov't programs without really seeking family help. There will always be people that fall through the cracks and need support but I'm sympathetic to the view that families should/could do more. Especially as caring for your family is a major Christian value. It isn't easy to define true need though. Especially without the gov't getting intrusive.
    You know who does it well? The Mormons. When hurricane Katrina hit, the rapid response of Mormons was impressive.

So yes, family, for the most part, is best. Except when it isn't, which happens a lot. Sometimes families could do better, sometimes, it's just not possible, either because of the givers or because of the recipients.

Here's where that sort of rugged individualism comes in: many elders would rather die than have to depend on their kids. They won't tell their kids when they're struggling, they don't want to admit to their increasing frailty and they don't want to be a burden on their families. I know from experience from working with elders in my own family, and because I know just how difficult it can be, I already know when I get to that point I don't want to be a burden on my own kids. It's tough for the elderly in our society. We're not collectivized, we're an individualistic society, and this is one of the drawbacks.
    So keep your candles burning
    "Nevertheless, she persisted."
    a.k.a. starchild, starburst, stardust, sweetpea, and dumber than dirt.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

ClimateSanity (March 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    A much better solution to this is found in the third world and the preindustrial age. The house hold should consist of the elderly and even the very productive young who are just starting out in life. Multi family.
    Because of the Puritan Protestant history of this country, our country is strongly individualistic. Remember how conservatives castigated Hillary Clinton for "it takes a village?"

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,080 Posts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    You know who does it well? The Mormons. When hurricane Katrina hit, the rapid response of Mormons was impressive.

So yes, family, for the most part, is best. Except when it isn't, which happens a lot. Sometimes families could do better, sometimes, it's just not possible, either because of the givers or because of the recipients.

Here's where that sort of rugged individualism comes in: many elders would rather die than have to depend on their kids. They won't tell their kids when they're struggling, they don't want to admit to their increasing frailty and they don't want to be a burden on their families. I know that from experience, from working with elders in my own family, and because I know just how difficult it can be in our society, I already know I don't want to be a burden on my own kids. It's tough, being elderly in our society. We're not a collectivized society, we're an individualistic society, and this is one of the drawbacks.
    The elderly should be made to feel welcome and not a burden. Family that extends to the elderly should be a norm in our society so that they would not feel ashamed.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ClimateSanity For Your Post:

Angel4Truth (March 21st, 2017)

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because of the Puritan Protestant history of this country, our country is strongly individualistic. Remember how conservatives castigated Hillary Clinton for "it takes a village?"
    A large genetically related family is not what she was talking about even if the phrase had its origins in that idea.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ClimateSanity For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The elderly should be made to feel welcome and not a burden. Family that extends to the elderly should be a norm in our society so that they would not feel ashamed.
    That's not the point I'm making. The elderly want to stay independent, they don't want to be a burden on their children, and I expect the baby boomers to be even more independent when they get to that point.

And our society isn't a collectivized society. Multi-generational families are likely to be immigrant families, bringing their collectivized culture with them. The average native-born American isn't culturally inclined to share living quarters with other generations.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Town Heretic (March 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A large genetically related family is not what she was talking about even if the phrase had its origins in that idea.
    I highly doubt most conservatives gave her the time of day long enough to know what she was talking about.

Over 4000 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not the point I'm making. The elderly want to stay independent, they don't want to be a burden on their children, and I expect the baby boomers to be even more independent when they get to that point.

And our society isn't a collectivized society. Multi-generational families are likely to be immigrant families, bringing their collectivized culture with them. The average native-born American isn't culturally inclined to share living quarters with other generations.
    Large intergenerational families is not collectivist in my mind. Collectivists want all of society to be responsible for everyone. They feel the betterment of society cannot be done through individual effort.

The fact that native born people arent culturally inclined to share living quarters with other generations is a tragic change in social norms that are partially responsible for todays social ills that should not be part of such a wealthy nation such as ours.

If they truly care about the future of this country, they should rethink what their culture is all about.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ClimateSanity For Your Post:

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large intergenerational families is not collectivist in my mind. Collectivists want all of society to be responsible for everyone. They feel the betterment of society cannot be done through individual effort.
    You may be thinking collectivistic is a negative term, as in communist collective. But it's actually social sciences terminology for comparing differences between highly individualistic cultures (The U.S.) and highly collectivized cultures (Mexico, Italy, Japan, Korea, too many to list). Individualistic cultures put an emphasis on rugged independence, initiative, self-reliance, etc. and collectivistic cultures put family first, cooperative group effort first, before the individual. Both types of cultures have advantages and drawbacks.

You can see how someone raised to be strongly self-reliant would feel shame in having to ask for help from anyone, even family - even family willing and able to help.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

ClimateSanity (March 20th, 2017)

I am Miss America because I say so, you must agree Angel4Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,182 Times in 10,264 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quip View Post
    What?!

You've reduced yourself to the absurd.
    Its absurd to compare apples with apples?
    <a href=http://theologyonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23146&d=1455650224 target=_blank>http://theologyonline.com/attachment...6&d=1455650224</a>

"Around the country, progressive bullies have attacked Christians for daring to put their faith ahead of the pet causes of those who feign compassion while destroying life-giving liberties. What we are seeing is a scorched-earth, take-no-prisoners approach as the wildfire burns across our land. It is not enough that Christians be quiet. Christians must be silenced and punished. Their faith cannot be respected. Legislation that ensures people are free to live and work according to their faith without fear of being punished by government must be stopped and decried as discrimination...There is one key reason that those on the Left must force their beliefs on the rest of us: if they didn't force their craziness on us, we would never embrace it." ~Erick Erickson

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel4Truth For Your Post:

ClimateSanity (March 20th, 2017),Tambora (March 21st, 2017)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 2,842 Posts

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    this was on the (canadian) news today:

A group of Canadian church volunteers hoping to carry out relief work in New Jersey said they were denied entry to the US over fears that they would be “stealing” American jobs.

The Rehoboth United Reformed church, based in Hamilton, Ontario, had spent months organising its March break trip. The plan was to spend the week helping a central New Jersey church in its ongoing efforts to rebuild homes hit by Hurricane Sandy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...urricane-sandy

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

Over 1500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    this was on the (canadian) news today:

A group of Canadian church volunteers hoping to carry out relief work in New Jersey said they were denied entry to the US over fears that they would be “stealing” American jobs.

The Rehoboth United Reformed church, based in Hamilton, Ontario, had spent months organising its March break trip. The plan was to spend the week helping a central New Jersey church in its ongoing efforts to rebuild homes hit by Hurricane Sandy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...urricane-sandy

well, according to the head cheese doodle, America First.

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by exminister View Post
    What's the point of being a Christian NATION? There is certainly enough pressure from the right for such things they want but they seem to side with greed most everywhere else even though they probably won't benefit from it.

The rich get richer and the poor get the picture. Isn't there some principal about the love of money and the love of fellow man that might play some part in our government. Why is a welfare state for the rich OK?
    Social welfare just seems to me like a violation of the separation between Church and state, because charity is a religious activity. IOW, it seems to me to violate the First Amendment to force people on pain of incarceration to contribute to a religious activity. But I admit that I don't know the SCOTUS case law on the matter, or even if there is any.
    "To be deep in history, is to cease to be Protestant"---Newman

Matthew 16:18 AENT "I say also to you that you are Keefa, and on this Keefa I will build my assembly, and the gates of Sheol will not subdue it." (BR, emphasis mine)

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musterion View Post
    Ryan is Catholic. Christ does not know Him.
    Quote Originally Posted by musterion View Post
    Don't respond when you don't understand what was written. I said Ryan is not known by Christ. He can't be: Rome put an official curse on Paul's saving Gospel centuries ago and that curse is still in force. Rome replaced the Gospel with a false one. That false gospel is the one Ryan believes. Therefore Christ does not know him.
    <Snicker.>

Matthew 16:18 AENT "I say also to you that you are Keefa, and on this Keefa I will build my assembly, and the gates of Sheol will not subdue it." (BR, emphasis mine)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilo View Post
    Social welfare just seems to me like a violation of the separation between Church and state, because charity is a religious activity. IOW, it seems to me to violate the First Amendment to force people on pain of incarceration to contribute to a religious activity. But I admit that I don't know the SCOTUS case law on the matter, or even if there is any.
    Charity is a human activity
    Proverbs 17:19 Whoever loves a quarrel loves sin

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by exminister View Post
    Charity is a human activity
    I'm unconvinced, but I can become convinced.

Thread Information