User Tag List

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: And Jesus Said Unto Paul of Ryan ...

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,402 Times in 3,045 Posts

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pondsbb View Post
    Well it must have been someone ripping off government. That is no surprise, as I have noticed so much of it.
    Right. Someone else PAID the government (a.k.a. federal, state, local, and private agencies) to deliver meals to someone other than themselves? Why would they do that?

Is it possible that your in-laws didn't want to be beholden to anyone for their meals and felt too frail to prepare them, so they ordered the service themselves?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (March 19th, 2017),Town Heretic (March 19th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,494 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    rather, that's the same thing i said
    No, you said the program should work to eliminate itself. Many programs simply can't do that and yet remain worthwhile. A jobs creating program can. A meals on wheels for the elderly can't. But beyond the program, the society we live in can work to eliminate the need in any number of ways, or at least reduce the problem to the extent that it can.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

annabenedetti (March 20th, 2017),Arthur Brain (March 19th, 2017)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,544 Posts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    i'm sorry your brain tumor is acting up today

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by annabenedetti View Post
    Right. Someone else PAID the government (a.k.a. federal, state, local, and private agencies) to deliver meals to someone other than themselves? Why would they do that?

Is it possible that your in-laws didn't want to be beholden to anyone for their meals and felt too frail to prepare them, so they ordered the service themselves?
    I doubt my mother in law felt too frail to cook. She was a cooking icon.

Anything else may have been possible. Thanks.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    That's not always the point of a worthwhile program, or even possible, but it can be the least expensive alternative, as the USA article I noted referenced. This program may very well help people remain more independent, keep them out of that greater expense (and drain on government resources) that nursing homes largely entail by making sure they receive solid nutritional value in the form of meals they might not be able to prepare for themselves regularly or at all. It's also a way to keep tabs on the ongoing condition within a senior's home who may be fighting to live as independently as possible on their own, with minimal or no other outside assistance.

And, beyond all of that, it serves the good.

You just told me why. Maybe it was a way to feel like less of a drain on their family. Maybe it was the best way for them to get what they needed without asking for more from people who were doing a lot for them to begin with. In any event, they had to qualify and they felt the need.

My son and I delivered Meals on Wheels for a year for his school service project. We knew that meal delivery volunteers were often the only outside contact that person would have with with anyone on any particular day, and we would chat with them for a few minutes, and make sure they were doing okay. It's not only food that volunteers bring, it's human contact.

Also - I just happen to have a text with me at the moment called Community Resources for Older Adults because I'm studying for a midterm on Tuesday and one of the chapters is on the ways Title III of the Older Americans Act (OAA) is used to help elders. It's called the "heart and soul" of the OAA for a reason, because it's Title III which disburses the grants to states according to elder population, which then disburses to agencies and public-private partnerships. One of those being home-delivered meal programs.

Those who receive home-delivered meals have more physical limitations, are more socially isolated, and at a lower income level than elders who can access private and publicly-funded senior centers with congregate meal programs. Average age of someone receiving a home-delivered meal is 78 years, and 60% live alone. A quarter of recipients were ethnic minorities, and 48% had incomes below 100% of the DHHS poverty line. These elders are 88% at moderate or high nutritional risk, 75% report difficulty with everyday tasks and 38% report seeing family, friends or neighbors never or only once per month.

I could go on, but I'm sure it's clear. This is a program that's vitally necessary for the frail and elderly who live among us, particularly those without adequate social support.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (March 19th, 2017),quip (March 19th, 2017),Town Heretic (March 19th, 2017)

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My son and I delivered Meals on Wheels for a year for his school service project. We knew that meal delivery volunteers were often the only outside contact that person would have with with anyone on any particular day, and we would chat with them for a few minutes, and make sure they were doing okay. It's not only food that volunteers bring, it's human contact.

Also - I just happen to have a text with me at the moment called Community Resources for Older Adults because I'm studying for a midterm on Tuesday and one of the chapters is on the ways Title III of the Older Americans Act (OAA) is used to help elders. It's called the "heart and soul" of the OAA for a reason, because it's Title III which disburses the grants to states according to elder population, which then disburses to agencies and public-private partnerships. One of those being home-delivered meal programs.

Those who receive home-delivered meals have more physical limitations, are more socially isolated, and at a lower income level than elders who can access private and publicly-funded senior centers with congregate meal programs. Average age of someone receiving a home-delivered meal is 78 years, and 60% live alone. A quarter of recipients were ethnic minorities, and 48% had incomes below 100% of the DHHS poverty line. These elders are 88% at moderate or high nutritional risk, 75% report difficulty with everyday tasks and 38% report seeing family, friends or neighbors never or only once per month.

I could go on, but I'm sure it's clear. This is a program that's vitally necessary for the frail and elderly that live among us, particularly those without adequate social support.
    but it's not meeting their needs anna - you should be far enough along now to realize that

it's allowing them to stay trapped and isolated

much like welfare does for the inner city black

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but it's not meeting their needs anna - you should be far enough along now to realize that

it's allowing them to stay trapped and isolated
    Don't think for a minute that those frail elders don't know that the only next step for them prior to death is a nursing home. They'll do everything in their power to stay independent for as long as they can, and I don't blame them and I'm glad to have a portion of my tax dollars going to help them.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (March 19th, 2017),quip (March 19th, 2017),Town Heretic (March 19th, 2017)

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    I read that Trump's proposed budget cuts would have a major adverse impact on our local Meals on Wheels program. Who knows what Congress will actually do with it but it's causing some major worries.
    It would definitely make a difference. Here's a statement from Meals on Wheels from Mar. 16:

The “35% of funding that comes from the Older American Act Nutrition Program” figure is in regard to the 5,000 Meals on Wheels programs across the country that could be effected if that 17.9% cut to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services resulted in a cut to programs within. Meals on Wheels programs would also be affected by cuts to the Community Service Block Grant, Community Development Block Grant or the Social Services Block Grant because some states choose to use those funds to support their Meals on Wheels programs above and beyond the 35% covered by the Older Americans Act. Programs rely on contributions from state, local, private donations and other resources to cover the rest, making it a very successful public-private partnership.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabenedetti For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (March 19th, 2017),Town Heretic (March 19th, 2017)

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donations surge

http://fortune.com/2017/03/18/meals-...mp-budget-cut/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pondsbb For Your Post:

Town Heretic (March 19th, 2017)

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pondsbb View Post
    I doubt my mother in law felt too frail to cook. She was a cooking icon.

Anything else may have been possible. Thanks.

The more I think on it the more puzzled I get. You couldn't walk in the house without my mother in law shoving some frugal, but home cooked, food in your face.

I do remember their cabinets got filled up with unopened fruit cups.

Precariously balanced on top of a mineshaft
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,939 Posts

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i'm sorry your brain tumor is acting up today

If only your brain would activate...

Well this is fun isn't it?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (March 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't think for a minute that those frail elders don't know that the only next step for them prior to death is a nursing home. They'll do everything in their power to stay independent for as long as they can, and I don't blame them and I'm glad to have a portion of my tax dollars going to help them.
    Absolutely. I was chatting with a health care coordinator last week as part of my course and she was telling me about how her mother was adamant that she didn't want to end up in a care home unless it was the only step that could be taken. As much as I admire and respect those in care work that help those who are no longer able to take care of themselves, be it physically or mentally it's an awful thing to contemplate the likelihood of losing your own self sufficiency.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (March 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i added to what you responded to, to clarify my intention

"independent of the service meals on wheels provides"

any government social program should work to eliminate itself, to address the root cause of the need and make itself unnecessary

of course, that's just not the way government works, is it?
    To even think that any manner of social ill or strife is gong to be eliminated is either to be naive or flat out stupid. Even with the aid programs in place that you and other cranks have such a problem with there's those that fall through the cracks and even charity doesn't reach all of those. Imagine how many more cases there would be if any governmental assistance was abolished. Actually, that was rhetorical, already know you don't care about folk.

There will always be the poor, that's pretty much the reality of the situation so reducing need and addressing it more effectively is the way to go which obviously doesn't involve crackpot notions of leaving it all to churches, charity and family.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Brain For Your Post:

annabenedetti (March 20th, 2017),quip (March 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel4Truth View Post
    Why not invite the entire world to dinner and pick up the tab yourself?

Yeah, i didnt respond to the "switch" , your bait caught nothing there.

Did you stop lying yesterday?
    What?!

You've reduced yourself to the absurd.
    _/\_

Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

24. The Following User Says Thank You to quip For Your Post:

Arthur Brain (March 19th, 2017)

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    apparently not then

Thread Information