User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Non African Americans must prove they are black enough

  1. #1
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,431
    Thanks
    3,905
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,362 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    571935

    Non African Americans must prove they are black enough

    m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/15/daniel-kaluuya-of-get-out-says-people-like-samuel-/


    And they aren't really talking about skin color either. Samuel L Jackson is giving this guy a hard time.

    Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,345 Times in 3,267 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    your link's scrambled




    The star of the horror film “Get Out” says people like actor Samuel L. Jackson always make him “prove” that he is “black enough.”

    Mr. Jackson’s recent critique of “Get Out” was that it may have been better if an “American brother” were cast in the star role, instead of the U.K.’s Daniel Kaluuya, who “grew up in a country where they’ve been interracial dating for 100 years.” The comments, made to a New York radio station on March 6, rubbed Mr. Kaluuya the wrong way.


    “Here’s the thing about that critique, though,” the actor told GQ magazine on Monday. “I’m dark-skinned, bro. When I’m around black people, I’m made to feel ‘other’ because I’m dark-skinned. I’ve had to wrestle with that, with people going ‘You’re too black.’ Then I come to America and they say, ‘You’re not black enough.’ I go to Uganda, I can’t speak the language. In India, I’m black. In the black community, I’m dark-skinned. In America, I’m British. Bro!”

    “Get Out,” directed by comedian Jordan Peele, has made over $113 million globally since its Feb. 24. release. It involves a young black man who uncovers a town’s dark secrets while visiting the parents of his white girlfriend.

    “In order to prove that I can play this role, I have to open up about the trauma that I’ve experienced as a black person,” Mr. Kaluuya said. “I have to show off my struggle so that people accept that I’m black.

    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...-like-samuel-/


  3. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,345 Times in 3,267 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    looks black to me



  4. #4
    Silver Member The Berean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wacky California
    Posts
    4,280
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 425 Times in 277 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    281759
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    looks black to me


    "Negro please!" -koban
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

    What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

    I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

    I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Berean For Your Post:

    ok doser (March 16th, 2017)

  6. #5
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    12,608
    Thanks
    369
    Thanked 2,997 Times in 2,233 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1071729
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    your link's scrambled




    The star of the horror film “Get Out” says people like actor Samuel L. Jackson always make him “prove” that he is “black enough.”

    Mr. Jackson’s recent critique of “Get Out” was that it may have been better if an “American brother” were cast in the star role, instead of the U.K.’s Daniel Kaluuya, who “grew up in a country where they’ve been interracial dating for 100 years.” The comments, made to a New York radio station on March 6, rubbed Mr. Kaluuya the wrong way.


    “Here’s the thing about that critique, though,” the actor told GQ magazine on Monday. “I’m dark-skinned, bro. When I’m around black people, I’m made to feel ‘other’ because I’m dark-skinned. I’ve had to wrestle with that, with people going ‘You’re too black.’ Then I come to America and they say, ‘You’re not black enough.’ I go to Uganda, I can’t speak the language. In India, I’m black. In the black community, I’m dark-skinned. In America, I’m British. Bro!”

    “Get Out,” directed by comedian Jordan Peele, has made over $113 million globally since its Feb. 24. release. It involves a young black man who uncovers a town’s dark secrets while visiting the parents of his white girlfriend.

    “In order to prove that I can play this role, I have to open up about the trauma that I’ve experienced as a black person,” Mr. Kaluuya said. “I have to show off my struggle so that people accept that I’m black.

    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...-like-samuel-/
    The same happens between whites and whites, and between other ethnicities and their own...all the time.
    Last edited by Danoh; March 16th, 2017 at 01:00 AM.

  7. #6
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    12,608
    Thanks
    369
    Thanked 2,997 Times in 2,233 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1071729
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateSanity View Post
    m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/15/daniel-kaluuya-of-get-out-says-people-like-samuel-/


    And they aren't really talking about skin color either. Samuel L Jackson is giving this guy a hard time.

    Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app
    Here ya go...

    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...-like-samuel-/

  8. #7
    Over 4000 post club quip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4,943
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 783 Times in 622 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    595161
    Sounds like a street cred thing. More specifically, a lack thereof.
    _/\_

    Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

  9. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,345 Times in 3,267 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    "Negro please!" -koban
    coming right up!

  10. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,303
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 4,345 Times in 3,267 Posts

    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    i wonder if samuel jackson had anything to say about bammy not being an american black?

  11. #10
    Over 5000 post club ClimateSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,431
    Thanks
    3,905
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,362 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    571935
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    i wonder if samuel jackson had anything to say about bammy not being an american black?
    Bammy is authentic black according to s. Jackson for reasons I dare not mention here.

    Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us