Thanks
    Thanked 4,046 Times in 3,063 Posts

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Clearly A Drunk Can Consent

This is getting lots of attention from the Canadian press at the moment:

Complaints mount against judge in cab sex assault case who said 'a drunk can consent'

Taxi driver Bassam Al-Rawi arrested in 2015 after a police officer found him with intoxicated female passenger

Complaints are mounting against a Nova Scotia judge who said that "clearly a drunk can consent" as he acquitted a Halifax taxi driver of sexually assaulting an intoxicated passenger found partly naked and unconscious in the back of his cab.

Judge Gregory Lenehan found Bassam Al-Rawi, 40, not guilty Wednesday following a two-day trial in February in Halifax provincial court. The judge said some of what the court heard was "very disturbing" and "there's no question" the woman was drunk.

"This does not mean, however, that an intoxicated person cannot give consent to sexual activity. Clearly, a drunk can consent," he said.

The judge's remarks have drawn criticism, and on Thursday two legal experts called them "dangerous." One said Lenehan is delivering a message to the public that "it's open season on incapacitated women."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ifax-1.2875142

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Woman found partially naked

In May 2015, a police officer found a 26-year-old woman in the back of Al-Rawi's car. She was naked from the chest down, Al-Rawi had her urine-soaked underwear in his hands and test results later found her DNA on his upper lip.

The police officer said Al-Rawi's pants were halfway down his buttocks and his zipper was undone when he left the vehicle. Al-Rawi later told police that he doesn't button his pants when he drives long hours, according to a 2015 search warrant application.

The woman testified she recalls little from that night. She had been drinking at a downtown bar and doesn't remember getting into a cab.

The judge noted that intoxication tends to reduce inhibition and increase risk-taking behaviour.

"This often leads to people agreeing and to sometimes initiate sexual encounters only to regret them later when they are sober," Lenehan said. "In testimony, [the woman] could not provide any information, any details on whether she agreed to be naked in the taxi or initiated any sexual activity.

"The Crown failed to produce any evidence of lack of consent at any time."

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Elizabeth Sheehy, a member of the University of Ottawa's faculty of law who teaches sexual assault law, said there's no clearly defined legal or medical line for when "intoxication or incapacitation crosses into incapacity to consent." It makes such cases particularly difficult.

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Upset, angry and confused: Protesters call for inquiry into cabbie's acquittal

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...uiry-1.4014155

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,093 Posts

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are held accountable for any crime you commit under the influence- because we have an understanding in the law that you made a decision to be intoxicated and therefore cosign any consequences that follow.

If alcohol puts you in those situations, you ought to stop drinking
    I've done plenty of ridiculous things under the influence, you just have to be a man (or woman) and deal with it

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    this is already a tangled mess and will become even more so - i look at that well-intentioned (if dim-witted) young woman with the sign above and just shake my head in wonder

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

Crucible (March 11th, 2017)

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

interesting bone structure on the cute chick on the left so i zoomed it

omg

ok ok, the medusa piercing is not all that noteworthy anymore, but the ear lobe???

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    very characteristically french bone structure though - betcha she's a Quebecker

Over 3000 post club glassjester's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can drunk men consent?
    Your "catholic" is showing. - Sozo

Silver Member
    Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    only in nova scotia

of course, in the maritimes, the only men you'll find are drunk men

LIFETIME MEMBER aCultureWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 993 Posts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucible View Post
    You are held accountable for any crime you commit under the influence-
    The woman was the victim of a Muslim rapist, i.e. she didn't commit any crime (this is a TOL first, ok doser and Crucible defending a Muslim).

because we have an understanding in the law that you made a decision to be intoxicated and therefore cosign any consequences that follow.
    Negatory Mr. Misogynist, because a person is drunk doesn't mean that they're open season for sexual predators or armed robbers.

If alcohol puts you in those situations, you ought to stop drinking
    I've done plenty of ridiculous things under the influence, you just have to be a man (or woman) and deal with it
    Cabbies deal with intoxicated people on a regular basis, having sex with them opens them up for accusations like this one.

Hopefully there is video footage available that will show what state of intoxication the woman was in (falling down drunk or buzzed), as it would provide good evidence in a civil trial.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In addition: If the police officers would have been doing their job, they would have taken a blood alcohol reading on the woman.

BANNED
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,093 Posts

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior View Post
    The woman was the victim of a Muslim rapist, i.e. she didn't commit any crime (this is a TOL first, ok doser and Crucible defending a Muslim).
    He's a Muslim, and so it had to have been 'rape'

Negatory Mr. Misogynist, because a person is drunk doesn't mean that they're open season for sexual predators or armed robbers.
    Mr. Misogynist

Because I believe in the biblical precepts between man and woman, I am a 'misogynist'.
    ~Irony~

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LOL...ok doser hits the "ban him!" button again.

Not much for debate are ya?

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucible View Post
    He's a Muslim, and so it had to have been 'rape'
    We could talk about Sharia Law and how Islam and Muslim men in general are misogynists, but let's stick with the article that was linked:

A 2015 search warrant application mentions other situations involving Al-Rawi and female passengers.

One woman reported that Al-Rawi did not stop at her house, kept driving around the block while calling her "baby" and grabbed her hand and asked her to stay. The woman only wanted this information documented.

In another situation, a woman reported being intoxicated and getting into a cab driven by Bassam Abdullatif. Abdullatif and Al-Rawi are the same person, according to the search warrant.

Allegedly Al-Rawi took the woman up to his apartment and sexually assaulted her. The woman had limited recollection of the alleged assault.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ifax-1.2875142

Mr. Misogynist

Because I believe in the biblical precepts between man and woman, I am a 'misogynist'.
    ~Irony~
    I must have missed where in the Bible it embraces out of wedlock sex in the back of a cab Crucible.

Thread Information