User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If it was your faith, it gives occasion to boast!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,925 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it was your faith, it gives occasion to boast!

Eph 2:8-9

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Now I know many people are going to try to explain this truth away with an argument from the greek,but it doesn't matter, because this passage which involves Faith in the matter of Salvation is plainly stating that it is not of ourselves. That's true because Salvation is not of ourselves, and Faith in Salvation is accompanied with Salvation, they are not separate. Paul wrote the Thessalonians saying 2 Thessalonians 2:13
    But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Salvation here is " Sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the Truth" What is interesting and important here is that the word belief here isn't the customary verb, but the noun pistis which means:

conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
    relating to God
    the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
    relating to Christ
    a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
    the religious beliefs of Christians
    belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
    fidelity, faithfulness
    the character of one who can be relied on

And it's translated Faith 239 times.

We are saved by Sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the Truth, which is Faith. So Faith in Salvation is not our own but by Sanctification of the Spirit.

If we deny this and say faith was our own faith, we begin boasting about our own work!
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,472 Posts

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Now I know many people are going to try to explain this truth away with an argument from the greek,but it doesn't matter, because this passage which involves Faith in the matter of Salvation is plainly stating that it is not of ourselves. That's true because Salvation is not of ourselves, and Faith in Salvation is accompanied with Salvation, they are not separate. Paul wrote the Thessalonians saying 2 Thessalonians 2:13
    But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Salvation here is " Sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the Truth" What is interesting and important here is that the word belief here isn't the customary verb, but the noun pistis which means:

conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
    relating to God
    the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
    relating to Christ
    a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
    belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
    fidelity, faithfulness

We are saved by Sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the Truth, which is Faith. So Faith in Salvation is not our own but by Sanctification of the Spirit.

If we deny this and say faith was our own faith, we begin boasting about our own work!

You want to believe that a crow defecated on a stump and the sun hatched you.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post
    I know you are boaster. Your faith, your freewill !

Charles Spurgeon !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (January 13th, 2017)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Pate View Post

I know you are a boaster. Your faith, your freewill !

Charles Spurgeon !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (January 14th, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

relating to God
    relating to Christ
    fidelity, faithfulness

Amen Brother!

So first The Spirit does His Sanctifying Work / New Birth in all those Christ died for, the good ground spoken of in Mat. 13:23, then they are given the ability to believe the Truth without compromise.

Titus 1:1-2
    1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; 2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Acts 18:27
    And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

Rom. 5:15
    But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

It's by the effectual Power of God's Work in all His Elect that they are Given Belief of the Truth.

Eph. 1:18-19
    18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, 19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

So one's belief of the Truth is solely based upon The Spirit working His Power in a person, not by one exercising his freewill choice to believe.
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nanja For Your Post:

beloved57 (January 14th, 2017),flintstoned (January 17th, 2018)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The religionists boasts about their faith being the reason why they get saved by God, a faith of natural human production. However the God Honoring truth is that precious Faith unto Salvation is obtained through the Righteousness of God and Our Saviour Jesus Christ! 2 Pet 1:1

Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

Faith is given as a sign Blessing that God through the Righteousness of Christ is Our Saviour!

Charles Spurgeon !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beloved57 For Your Post:

Nanja (February 23rd, 2017)

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how pate complains about b57 responding to his topic
    And yet
    Pate responds to b57 topic as post #2
    Pate has been proven very extremely untrustworthy hundreds times over and still repeats
    Looks to us, pate has a mental health issue

Thanks
    Thanked 8,652 Times in 5,666 Posts

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no reason to boast because it is our own faith which saves us. After all, there is no merit in believing something that is absolutely true. Especially since that truth comes in power and in much assurance and in the Holy Spirit (1 Thess.1:5).

All men should believe the gospel but not all do because those who do not "resist the Holy Spirit" (Acts 7:51).

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    There is no reason to boast because it is our own faith which saves us. After all, there is no merit in believing something that is absolutely true. Especially since that truth comes in power and in much assurance and in the Holy Spirit (1 Thess.1:5).

All men should believe the gospel but not all do because those who do not "resist the Holy Spirit" (Acts 7:51).
    Its still boasting.

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks
    Thanked 8,652 Times in 5,666 Posts

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its still boasting.
    No it's not!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No it's not!
    Yes it is!

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No it's not!
    Yes it is!

Sent from my 5054N using TheologyOnline mobile app

Charles Spurgeon !

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There is a work for the Christian to perform in his walk with Christ.

He has to figure out that God does everything...this often takes time.

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Epoisses View Post
    There is a work for the Christian to perform in his walk with Christ.

He has to figure out that God does everything...this often takes time.

Salvation is not of Works Eph. 2:9.

Christ Jesus already completed all the work that was required to Save those who were Chosen in Him before the foundation Eph. 1:4-5.

And it's revealed to each one of them by His Spirit through the Gospel of the Grace of God.

2 Tim. 1:8-10

8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel

If a person was not Saved by the Grace of God, he is not saved at all!

Prov. 16:4: Jude 1:4; Rom. 9:20-22; Job 21:30; Is. 54:16.
    My soul thirsts for God, the God Who Lives Forever:
    when shall I be brought in to see His Face? -Psalm 42:2

Thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nanja View Post
    Salvation is not of Works Eph. 2:9.

Christ Jesus already completed all the work that was required to Save those who were Chosen in Him before the foundation Eph. 1:4-5.

And it's revealed to each one of them by His Spirit through the Gospel of the Grace of God.

2 Tim. 1:8-10

8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel

If a person was not Saved by the Grace of God, he is not saved at all!

Prov. 16:4: Jude 1:4; Rom. 9:20-22; Job 21:30; Is. 54:16.
    You have to work hard to get to heaven and you're just lazy. Let's go keep some commandments, come on - chop, chop!

Thread Information