Nori's Pick 4-19-09

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think we've got a new star among Truthsmackers, here. Welcome to TOL, Sam!

csuguy: Do you know anything at all about homeschooling? I'm a homeschool student, and many of your "points" demonstrate a profound ignorance of how it actually works.

I'm homeschooled, and I have friends and meet people. So there goes that objection.

I don't learn everything from my parents. I'm old enough now that I teach myself. There's a tool I have that maybe you haven't heard of. It's called the Internet. I learn lots of stuff my parents don't know. Furthermore, what makes you think you have to be an expert to teach anything? That's what textbooks, and, again, the Internet, are for. So there goes that objection.

I'm homeschooled, and here I am, listening to opposing viewpoints and rationally answering them, on TOL. So there goes that objection.

You said: "Public school is only 5 days a week for like 8 hrs a day - the parents are still around them the majority of the time."

Let's see, 40 hours a week. If we assume that each kid spends roughly twelve hours a day awake, then they're gone 40 out of 84 hours. 44 out of 84 is a pretty slim majority, and what about young children with early bedtimes? Not to mention chores and homework, as Ebenz has already said.

To Fool: Your name is fitting. Your semantic argument about "home" makes many ungrounded assumptions. One: If I am homeschooled, I spend all my time at home. If I am public schooled, do I spend all my time at school?

Two: Homeschooling inherently precludes learning at someone else's home. There are people who attend home churches. Is it only a home church if you go to one at your own home?

Finally, one point we agree on: You said: "What they really are doing is creating very very tiny private schools."

Truer than you know.

assuranceagent

Alright, Sam. Fess up. Who helped you write that? :mmph:

Everyone knows homeschooled kids lack that kind of eloquence and cohesion of thought...

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.