ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 3

Lon

(1 Samuel 23:10-13)

And the LORD said, “He (Saul) will come down.”
And the LORD said, “They (the men of Keilah) will deliver you (to Saul when he comes down) .”

The LORD told David what He knew would take place in the future.

So…

"David and his men, about six hundred, arose and departed from Keilah and went wherever they could go. Then it was told Saul that David had escaped from Keilah; so he (Saul) halted the expedition."

God neither determined nor foreknew future events here because obviously what He verbalized to David did not come to pass.

That's an OV stretch. "Obviously" to me, God must have known for He didn't mix words.

I've had this conversation before here but I'll give the gist.

Traditional and strong exegetical view

"Will Saul come?"

"Yes."

"Will he lay seige to the city?"

"Yes."

"Will the elders hand me over?"

"Yes."
The OV
David: "Will Saul come?"

God: "Depends, I have no idea, but it certainly looks that way."

David: "Will he lay seige to the city?"

God: "Well, I'd like to say 'Duh!' but since I have no way of actually knowing, it is a safe bet. Try a magic eight-ball. It seems to have more prescient knowledge than I do in these matters."

David: "So I guess it is a safe bet that I'll be handed over. I mean it is either me or them."

God: "Safe bet. Like you, it will all be news to me."

David: "So if I leave the city?"

God: "Dunno, I don't think he'll find you but 'who knows?'"

It is a bit caricatured, but I'd tried and am trying to show the problem in what is 'obvious' between us.

penofareadywriter

That's an OV stretch. "Obviously" to me, God must have known for He didn't mix words.

I've had this conversation before here but I'll give the gist.

The OV
[/SIZE]

It is a bit caricatured, but I'd tried and am trying to show the problem in what is 'obvious' between us.

God could have predicted where Saul was going because God knew Saul's intentions a that time. He knows our hearts. No where do these verses suggest that God had this knowledge before the foundation of the world or even before Saul had developed a character that would pursue David here or there.
You are still thinking through you EDF filter. If EDF is not true, there are very cohesive ways to understand prophecy.

Lon

God could have predicted where Saul was going because God knew Saul's intentions a that time. He knows our hearts. No where do these verses suggest that God had this knowledge before the foundation of the world or even before Saul had developed a character that would pursue David here or there.
You are still thinking through you EDF filter. If EDF is not true, there are very cohesive ways to understand prophecy.

Not even remotely close. He'd have no way of knowing whether David would persevere in faith, whether Saul would have a change of heart and complicate matters. I find no comfort whatsoever in the OV premise that God is almost as in the dark as we are ourselves. "God sometimes makes mistakes" is a horrible nightmare to me.

SaulToPaul 2

Not even remotely close. He'd have no way of knowing whether David would persevere in faith, whether Saul would have a change of heart and complicate matters. I find no comfort whatsoever in the OV premise that God is almost as in the dark as we are ourselves. "God sometimes makes mistakes" is a horrible nightmare to me.

It's been atleast a week since I quoted Daniel 11, should I bring it out again for Penofareadywriter? Daniel prophesies of the emotions, decisions, and actions of certain men and women hundreds or even thousands of years before they take place.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER

"Will Saul come?""Yes."

"Will he lay seige to the city?""Yes."

"Will the elders hand me over?""Yes."
This is how I read the text as well.

How then do you deal with the fact that Saul didn't come, he didn't lay seige to the city, and the elders didn't hand David over?

God_Is_Truth

You are straying off topic and inserted yourself into a conversation between two members that you apparently are not following closely. Nothing in my previous posts with POARW have anything to do with the atonement.

If you want to discuss the notion of universal atonement versus the Biblically warranted limited atonement there are many threads on this you can chime into.

AMR

I saw the post and it brought some things to mind that I decided to share. That was it.

Lon

This is how I read the text as well.

How then do you deal with the fact that Saul didn't come, he didn't lay seige to the city, and the elders didn't hand David over?

Really? Seriously?

Okay, I really really appreciate you answering for me before, could you do so again? Please?

I did answer this there too.

Last edited:

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
Really? Seriously?

Okay, I really really appreciate you answering for me before, could you do so again? Please?

I did answer this there too.
Lon; October 2 said:
“He is specifically asking God for His Divine knowledge here what is going to happen. God doesn't give maybe's or possibly's or anything of the sort. He affirms every question David asks about what will happen if he remains. What actually happens, is a change of events from those that certainly would happen. It is by God's knowledge that these events are averted.”
I consider it a weakness on my part for not having the ability to adequately articulate my point. I am new to TOL, and debating for that matter, so I thank you again for being patient through my bumblings.

I read your post of October 2 and need you to answer a couple of concerns I have. What I read in 1Samuel 23:11-13 is God saying “He will come down.” And “They will deliver you.” Where do you read “if he remains”?

You then say that it is “by God’s knowledge that these events are averted.” I have to disagree with this. It was not by God’s knowledge per se, but by His revelation of that knowledge directly to David. If David had not gotten this information from God, he may well have remained in Keilah and averted nothing.

And this is my point. If God can truly know the future exhaustively, it seems odd that He can’t reveal that knowledge without the possibility of man’s will changing that course.

Lon

I consider it a weakness on my part for not having the ability to adequately articulate my point. I am new to TOL, and debating for that matter, so I thank you again for being patient through my bumblings.

I read your post of October 2 and need you to answer a couple of concerns I have. What I read in 1Samuel 23:11-13 is God saying “He will come down.” And “They will deliver you.” Where do you read “if he remains”?

You then say that it is “by God’s knowledge that these events are averted.” I have to disagree with this. It was not by God’s knowledge per se, but by His revelation of that knowledge directly to David. If David had not gotten this information from God, he may well have remained in Keilah and averted nothing.

And this is my point. If God can truly know the future exhaustively, it seems odd that He can’t reveal that knowledge without the possibility of man’s will changing that course.

Because He knows either way exactly how it will come about. I think your what-if is problematic though and I'll try to explain.

I believe God sovereign. David's throne was established and through his lineage Christ would come, thus establishing forever. You are asking a question about 'what-if' this or that, but I see His plan unfolding by His power. What happened happened and what-if's are but speculations and OV gets really hung up on these. Philosophically, what-if's concerning God are full of problematics because it tries to bounce back and forth through the time-line while denying God that ability. Many OV assertions are logically problematic because 1) they don't recognize that they are making a linear logistic about a 'what-if' that isn't linear. Hope that makes sense, it is important to see the faults in our respective logic. 2) We are incapable of really analizing 'what-if' scenarios with logic because we are trying to jump through alternate reality hoops and again, it is difficult to build supposition when God is denied the power to do so. I've said before that OV tends to elevate man's will and logic and I believe without meaning to most of the time, is de-elevating God. When we think our logic can make these leaps and come up with straight answers and God cannot, I believe we have a real problem. Your question is dealing with an alternate reality of what actually happened.

Let me ask a couple of questions in return:
1) do you believe God mistaken in what He said? It didn't happen, right?
2) do you believe God should have just cut to the chase and told David to get the heck outta Dodge?
The questions and your answers will be speculative about those what-if's so I understand where you are coming from, but it is very precarious to make solid theology based on 'what-ifs.' Even with LWF, the definition the OV embraces is 'ability to do otherwise' which is also a speculation into an alternate reality. I don't deem speculation a good place to build a systematic theology.

If God can truly know the future exhaustively, it seems odd that He can’t reveal that knowledge without the possibility of man’s will changing that course.
It is a bit of a 'what-if' kind of question that I'm not fully understanding from you. Do you mean that man's choices can change an outcome? I'm not quite following what you are asking.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On the contrary, I am getting my conclusion strait from the text. Genesis 45:8 NIV
"So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God.
It does not say anything about forgiveness(though Joseph surely forgave them)but rather makes the statement GOD SENT JOSEPH TO EGYPT. Or am I missing something?:confused:
You are missing the rest of the story. Genesis 50:20:

But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.

You are trying to isolate one verse, which really speaks to God's ordaining that Joseph would be sent to Egypt. When God ordains what will happen, He also ordains the means of how it will happen. The means of that sending was the evil acts of his brothers. God ordains righteously what men do wickedly.

AMR

penofareadywriter

Ask Mr. Religion [I said:
God ordains righteously what men do wickedly

I would agree with this statement to a certain extent. I would still have to hold to what I said above. That nowhere does this text suggest that God predestined these events from the foundation of the world.
So you read "Satan and the Problem of Evil"? What did you think in a nutshell? Did you think he had some good points?

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
The red is posted by King cobra
Because He knows either way exactly how it will come about. I think your what-if is problematic though and I'll try to explain.But you said ‘if’! You said that God said these things would happen if David stayed. But He didn’t say if!!! He said they will happen.

I believe God sovereign. David's throne was established and through his lineage Christ would come, thus establishing forever. You are asking a question about 'what-if' this or that, but I see His plan unfolding by His power. What happened happened and what-if's are but speculations and OV gets really hung up on these. Philosophically, what-if's concerning God are full of problematics because it tries to bounce back and forth through the time-line while denying God that ability. Many OV assertions are logically problematic because 1) they don't recognize that they are making a linear logistic about a 'what-if' that isn't linear. Hope that makes sense, it is important to see the faults in our respective logic. 2) We are incapable of really analizing 'what-if' scenarios with logic because we are trying to jump through alternate reality hoops and again, it is difficult to build supposition when God is denied the power to do so. I've said before that OV tends to elevate man's will and logic and I believe without meaning to most of the time, is de-elevating God. When we think our logic can make these leaps and come up with straight answers and God cannot, I believe we have a real problem. Your question is dealing with an alternate reality of what actually happened.I’m sorry. This whole paragraph just looks to me like a lot of literary dancing with shoes that are too big.

Let me ask a couple of questions in return:
1) do you believe God mistaken in what He said? He made a perfect statement given the exhaustive information He had at that time. It didn't happen, right?Right. But He said it would.
2) do you believe God should have just cut to the chase and told David to get the heck outta Dodge?I think that’s exactly what He did. David wasn’t stupid; he knew he would change the course by getting out of Dodge. David knew God’s statement would come true if he stayed in Keilah.
The questions and your answers will be speculative about those what-if's so I understand where you are coming from, but it is very precarious to make solid theology based on 'what-ifs.' Even with LWF, the definition the OV embraces is 'ability to do otherwise' which is also a speculation into an alternate reality. I don't deem speculation a good place to build a systematic theology.

It is a bit of a 'what-if' kind of question that I'm not fully understanding from you. Do you mean that man's choices can change an outcome?Yes. I'm not quite following what you are asking.
I’ll try again. Since you believe God knows the future exhaustively, do you find it odd that He can’t reveal that knowledge without the possibility of man’s will changing that course?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would agree with this statement to a certain extent. I would still have to hold to what I said above. That nowhere does this text suggest that God predestined these events from the foundation of the world.
A book you can download and read (not skim) that will prove helpful to you is available here. (The words and pix in my sig are hyperlinked for a reason.) :squint:

AMR

Lon

I’ll try again. Since you believe God knows the future exhaustively, do you find it odd that He can’t reveal that knowledge without the possibility of man’s will changing that course?

Don't understand. He knows the outcomes of men's choices.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
Don't understand. He knows the outcomes of men's choices.
I feel badly leaving it like this Lon but we just don't understand each other.

You remind me of a dear friend of mine who succumbed to the Big C a couple of years ago. Many people are still feeling the loss of his enthusiastic love for Jesus. He and I could never persuade the other in the area of Openness but we knew we were brothers in Christ and that was always good enough; in fact that was great.

I look forward to introducing him to you some day (in the distant future) and I know the three of us will be amazed at what will be shown us then.

In His Name, K.c.

Lon

I feel badly leaving it like this Lon but we just don't understand each other.

You remind me of a dear friend of mine who succumbed to the Big C a couple of years ago. Many people are still feeling the loss of his enthusiastic love for Jesus. He and I could never persuade the other in the area of Openness but we knew we were brothers in Christ and that was always good enough; in fact that was great.

I look forward to introducing him to you some day (in the distant future) and I know the three of us will be amazed at what will be shown us then.

In His Name, K.c.

K. You have been very congenial, careful with your words, and I really appreciate that. I hope mine were returned and seen the same.

I believe you are trying to show that men's choices affect the future. I have no problem with that, my point is that whatever the future is, God knows what it is going to be and also that He uses those decisions as He wishes.

In Him

Lon

godrulz

Hall of Fame
A book you can download and read (not skim) that will prove helpful to you is available here. (The words and pix in my sig are hyperlinked for a reason.) :squint:

AMR

I am still working on it, but it dampers my spirit with negativity compared to the joy of positive open theism books that resonate with Scripture. Complaining about some weaknesses in Open Theist writings/writers does not dismantle the truth of it as a whole.

penofareadywriter

AMR

When I have more time I will check this book out. I see that John Piper is in it. I read the preface by him and can already tell you what he will say. Answer me this, do they address Boyds argument on God being infinitely intelligent? I don't know if Boyd changed or refined his theology from the time he wrote "Letters" to the time He wrote"Satan and the Problem of Evil" but the quote that Piper used in the preface is very unfair in my opinion because he does not tell you how Boyd qualifies that statement(God knows all future POSSIBILITY'S). If you have read "Satan and the..." them wouldn't you have to agree?
If they address Boyds argument on God being infinitely intelligent I would love to read that, but I have no interest of reading a rebuttal of open theism by just stating Calvinism. I want to read something that addresses the OV on its own grounds. From the little I read, this book for the very start misrepresents the OV. I will read more but I cant already tell what I might be in for.

penofareadywriter

I am still working on it, but it dampers my spirit with negativity compared to the joy of positive open theism books that resonate with Scripture. Complaining about some weaknesses in Open Theist writings/writers does not dismantle the truth of it as a whole.

What do you think about my post #2138?

Lon

Beyond the Bounds said:
The Openness view, in fact, recognizes and concedes that Judaism and Christianity maintain the traditional view of God. This concession, however, is potentially embarrassing--have virtually all Jews and virtually all Christians throughout history misread the Old Testament? To explain their concession and to avoid this embarrassment, openness advocates thus advance a historical argument appealing to the influence of Greek philosophy. Their argument, though implied, is clear: If the Rabbis and church fathers had followed the Bible instead of Greek philosophy, they too would have embraced an open view of God. But this explanation has already failed because their historical argument has completely collapsed. Page 31 -Beyond the Bounds