Thread: The new rules for the Exclusively Christian forum

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Uh... every single other forum on TOL are for all walks of life. Can't one have a Christian focus?

Check out all the different forums to choose from....
    www.theologyonline.com/forums
    Gee, thanks Knight for that clarification. What I meant was, if everyone agrees with everyone else on this thread, it won't be a debate, it will be a discussion. But how long will it last if everyone agrees with one another?

Friendly Neighborhood Admin Turbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thia
    But how long will it last if everyone agrees with one another?
    I wouldn't let that one keep you up at night. Just look around. Christians debate each other all over this board. And sometimes, we don't want input from atheists and other assorted scoffers. That's what this forum is for.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo
    I wouldn't let that one keep you up at night.
    LOL! Thank you, dear heart. It won't.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Everybody, I have a few comments and then a question...

It was said above that this forum is for anyone to post on "who considers themselves to be Christian."

Lots and Lots of people consider themselves to be "Christian," yet many of them are diametrically opposed to each other on the same Bible doctrines/subjects (eg., homosexuality, women leaders, elders, pastors, etc.).

So my question is this:

Did the LORD leave the term "Christian" to be defined subjectively by each individual, according to what he/she thinks it means? Or, is there a God-Inspired definition of what a "Christian" is given in the Sacred Writings so everyone can conform themselves to it and thus be UNITED - NOT DIVIDED - about it?
    God bless...

s-o-C

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to ask some similar questions again, except this time... just substitute the word "love" for the word "Christian"...

If we ask the question, "Do I love God?", does the answer to that lie within human opinion or Divine Authority?
    WHO defines what "love" is between God and man / man and God?
    God bless...

s-o-C

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"inspired word of God"

I just want to verify that, in this forum and all posts in this forum, are you stating that the inspired Word of God is inerrant in its original state? I see a lot of posts and other places where the Word of God is described as inspired but they omit the further belief in the inerrancy of the Word.

And if you do believe it is inerrant, what is a good way to tell if a person means that if they do not say it?

Thanks

Over 3000 post club
    In front of the strange glowing screen of an inexplicable mechanism.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new standard for the "Exclusively Christian Theology" is to allow anyone to post here who considers themselves to be Christian and considers the Bible to be inspired by God.

Yes that creates a much bigger tent, but that's a good thing for healthy debate!

So... if you consider yourself a Christian and you consider the Bible to be the inspired word of God then you are welcome to post in the "Exclusively Christian Theology" forum.
    I know I am judged "a left wing nut" on TOL, but I've always felt that epithet says more about the people who devised it than it says about me. And I also consider myself a Christian and the Bible to be God's inspired word. I guess we can argue all day about what is "Christian" and what "inspired word of God" means and how they play out in different times and cultural circumstances.

Traditional religion seems to be in a period of re-entrenchment, judging by recent world events. Given that, here are some questions I wrestle with:

Can a Christian be faithful to our own human experience as believers without idolizing or taking on the command systems of society--as well as the churches?

What insights can a Christian develop from our shared religious past?

Does the 300-year-old study of the non-theological Jesus help in this? Does historical context matter here--especially since the faith seems built on historical events and the meaning derived from those events?

(STILL trying to set up conservatives and fundamentalists on blind dates with Jesus...)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aikido7
    I know I am judged "a left wing nut" on TOL, but I've always felt that epithet says more about the people who devised it than it says about me. And I also consider myself a Christian and the Bible to be God's inspired word. I guess we can argue all day about what is "Christian" and what "inspired word of God" means and how they play out in different times and cultural circumstances.

Traditional religion seems to be in a period of re-entrenchment, judging by recent world events. Given that, here are some questions I wrestle with:

Can a Christian be faithful to our own human experience as believers without idolizing or taking on the command systems of society--as well as the churches?

What insights can a Christian develop from our shared religious past?

Does the 300-year-old study of the non-theological Jesus help in this? Does historical context matter here--especially since the faith seems built on historical events and the meaning derived from those events?
    I find your questions quite interesting, but I wonder if this particular thread is the place to discuss them. I'm afraid people will look at the title and think... that's that old thread about changes to the thread and not realize there is a real discussion going on. Could you start a new thread to discuss these matters? Just a suggestion.
    Blessings of Peace,Chileice
    "Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15.13

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wandering threads

Knight,

Having just found theologyonline (actually come back to after a long absence), I think these rules are most fine, but let me point out a problem I have just encountered with the following rule.

Said in short...
    This particular forum will be dedicated to debating biblical issues without debating the legitimacy of the Bible itself.

In discussing a particular topic, the issue of what you mean by inspiration comes up, and in fact it can be the major difference between 2 sides of a Christian doctrine. Therefore, it is necessary to point out that people who says they are Christians and claim to believe in Biblical inspiration can believe very different even opposite things about what those terms mean. Therefore, in house "Christian" debates can and often have to challenge the other person's belief about the Bible.

Therefore, when a thread wanders into that territory, I encourage you to let the post stand. Before I can debate someone about female ordination (where I recently posted), I have to try to understand how that person understands inspiration and truth claims. Otherwise, we simple talk past one another instead of really talking to one another.

Well thanks for listening to my ramblings,

In Christ,

Mike

For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by servantofChrist
    I would like to ask some similar questions again, except this time... just substitute the word "love" for the word "Christian"...

If we ask the question, "Do I love God?", does the answer to that lie within human opinion or Divine Authority?
    WHO defines what "love" is between God and man / man and God?
    1Jo 4:19 We love Him, because He first loved us.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me.

Eph 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for His great love wherewith He loved us,

2Th 2:16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given [us] everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,

This is the truth about love........
    1Jo 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent his Son [to be] the propitiation for our sins.
    Mrs. Truthsmacker!
    Jesus may love you, but I have to work at it!
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible. - Stuart Chase

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    I realize this is not going to make everyone happy but I have discussed this issue with the other TOL owners and here is the decision we have made regarding the "Exclusively Christian Theology" forum.

Originally when we decided to create this forum we wanted a place to discuss AND debate Christian theology without unbelievers distracting the debate with mindless comments like... "so... how did all the animals fit on the ark?" or... "the Bible has been translated so many times.... bla bla bla".

The "Exclusively Christian Theology" forum was never intended to be a place where there would be no debate..... and excluding those who think they are Christian based on our standard of Christianity excludes too many possible participants to promote healthy debate.

Therefore...
    The new standard for the "Exclusively Christian Theology" is to allow anyone to post here who considers themselves to be Christian and considers the Bible to be inspired by God.

Yes that creates a much bigger tent, but that's a good thing for healthy debate!

So... if you consider yourself a Christian and you consider the Bible to be the inspired word of God then you are welcome to post in the "Exclusively Christian Theology" forum.

Furthermore...
    We are also willing to let any other unbeliever or follower of another religion post here if they are honestly seeking an answer to a question or have constructive input to the discussion. In other words... if an atheist has a question about God and he asks it in an honest, upfront way we will gladly deal with that question without booting him out of the forum.

Said in short...
    This particular forum will be dedicated to debating biblical issues without debating the legitimacy of the Bible itself.

There are plenty of other forums here at TOL for debating the legitimacy of the Bible.

And unlike morality the above rules and guidelines are very SUBJECTIVE so we ask that you honor our moderators requests if your input if out of line for this particular forum.

If you have any questions regarding these new guidelines please ask them on this thread.
    ---Knight---I suppose the most, have in mind what my deal is, or idea, thing; I thaught I had something there with the Platos, but no. If I may park here, I can go by your rules fine. I realy like to be left alone from insults, that goes both ways, and gets out of hand.
    ---May I park here with my, unorthodox faith to the rest, But I do take Just the Bible and nothing else, and can show one so. But I'll move on if you guys say so. ---Watching---Please reply.
    -----------------Paul---
    -------Thanks for your speedy reply --- Knight--

Last edited by Letsargue; August 16th, 2005 at 03:45 PM.

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exclusively christian_____________________________________?

i love you guys, and i 'm here for the exclusive, so fall over to" messiah returns" at philosophy and religion,_________ and let's weed out the "Exclusive Club"________. LOL

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David2
    exclusively christian_____________________________________?

i love you guys, and i 'm here for the exclusive, so fall over to" messiah returns" at philosophy and religion,_________ and let's weed out the "Exclusive Club"________. LOL
    Mrs. Truthsmacker!
    Jesus may love you, but I have to work at it!
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible. - Stuart Chase

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as i have said nicely, do not bother with verbal outbursts and slanderous comments, please dig into your heart for questions that will bring us together not seperate us. i'm not here for theology and debate about what man thinks his relationship with God is, but to deliver philosophy and express who to attain the realized state on oneness with God
    That is perfect love, and what Jesus and the Holy Prophets including Paul were really trying to instill in the hearts of men/women alike.

These forums get so impersonal by shooting at each other ond offering silly unscriptuaral opinions about what he thinks, she thinks, they think. It's the business of the forum and the owners to increase readership and participation, but it 's my business to find, reach out to those who are genuine and sincere about loving and serving God.___________-Loving and serving God-

As much as you should want to know me in truth i want to have the association and know also all my good brothers/sisters in perfect truth. That is the promise of God and the prosperity that we unite and share in His glory, who made us in His likeness and wants us with Him.

Do you call this spam? i hope not!

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm still here, why is this thread above the line? what does that mean?

Thread Information