Which song are you?

Daniel1611

I used to be "Heroin" by the Velvet Underground. Now I'm "Maggie's Farm" by Dylan, I think.

"'Cause when the smack begins to flow
Then I really don't care anymore
Ah, when the heroin is in my blood
And that blood is in my head
Then thank God that I'm as good as dead
Then thank your God that I'm not aware
And thank God that I just don't care
And I guess I just don't know"
-From Heroin by the Velvet Underground

Well, I try my best
To be just like I am
But everybody wants you
To be just like them
They say sing while you slave and I just get bored
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more.
-From Maggie's Farm by Bob Dylan

fzappa13

Through the woodland, through the valley
Comes a horseman wild and free
Tilting at the windmills passing
Who can the brave young horseman be

He is wild but he is mellow
He is strong but he is weak
He is cruel but he is gentle
He is wise but he is meek

Reaching for his saddlebag
He takes a tarnished cross into his hand
Then standing like a preacher now
He shouts across the ocean to the shore
Then in a blaze of tangled hooves
He gallops off across the dusty plain
In vain to search again
Where no one will hear

Ah, the golden-throated troubadour

PureX

Okay, did they rip off Los Lobos or was it the other way around?
I don't think anyone was "ripping anyone off", here, but there are definitely some shared influences, and people in common. Ali Farka Toure recorded with Ry Cooder on a Grammy nominated project called 'Talking Timbuktu'. Ry Cooder has a similar history and musical roots as the members of Los Lobos. And Ry Cooder had previously made a Grammy winning record called Buena Vista Social Club with a whole collection of fantastic original Afro-Cuban musicians, including Orlando Lopez on the double bass. And I believe that's Orlando playing bass on the video I posted with Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate. And as we know, the Afro-Cuban sound comes from the African slaves brought to the Caribbean and mixing with south American music and culture, many from Mali, where Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate live.

So it's all mixed together, as most music tends to be, these days. I just liked this video because it expresses the joy of music, and creative interaction.

fzappa13

I don't think anyone was "ripping anyone off", here, but there are definitely some shared influences, and people in common. Ali Farka Toure recorded with Ry Cooder on a Grammy nominated project called 'Talking Timbuktu'. Ry Cooder has a similar history and musical roots as the members of Los Lobos. And Ry Cooder had previously made a Grammy winning record called Buena Vista Social Club with a whole collection of fantastic original Afro-Cuban musicians, including Orlando Lopez on the double bass. And I believe that's Orlando playing bass on the video I posted with Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate. And as we know, the Afro-Cuban sound comes from the African slaves brought to the Caribbean and mixing with south American music and culture, many from Mali, where Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate live.

So it's all mixed together, as most music tends to be, these days. I just liked this video because it expresses the joy of music, and creative interaction.

You have a point. I remember years ago being quite pleased with myself for coming up with this little catchy progression and two weeks later I'm hearing it on the radio. Sometimes I think this stuff is sort of floating in the aether and anyone can pull it down.

I always though Leo Kottke should have gotten together with Ry ... instead he does an album with Rickie Lee Jones ... go figure.

PureX

You have a point. I remember years ago being quite pleased with myself for coming up with this little catchy progression and two weeks later I'm hearing it on the radio. Sometimes I think this stuff is sort of floating in the aether and anyone can pull it down.

I always though Leo Kottke should have gotten together with Ry ... instead he does an album with Rickie Lee Jones ... go figure.
I hear that, and have thought the same many times in my life. And not just about music, but all sorts of art styles and expressions. I'm sure that artists are 'tuned into' the pulse of their culture, and the energy of the moment, so it stands to reason that they would pick up on these things and express them, sometimes simultaneously.

rainee

I could have gone the rest of my life without having to see that again.

P.S. But, ya know, put a Fu Manchu on him and he would be a dead ringer for FZ.

I agree about never needing to see that ever much less again and -
don't worry fzappa a post to you is still on my to do list when I get the chance maybe with that Fu Manchu mustache!

rainee

I hear that, and have thought the same many times in my life. And not just about music, but all sorts of art styles and expressions. I'm sure that artists are 'tuned into' the pulse of their culture, and the energy of the moment, so it stands to reason that they would pick up on these things and express them, sometimes simultaneously.

Y'all may be on to something interesting - it has been uncanny at times to me too, but I don't know any thing about it. How could one even postulate causes? Or even show instances you could trust it happened?

Sci fi.

fzappa13

Okay, so ... what is it and where is it coming from?

fzappa13

I agree about never needing to see that ever much less again and -
don't worry fzappa a post to you is still on my to do list when I get the chance maybe with that Fu Manchu mustache!

I saw it live the first time ... (note to Knight, we really need a shudder smiley). It's sort of like a car wreck ... you don't want to look but you can't look away.

Looking forward to your threatened post.

Last edited:

rainee

I saw it live the first time ... (note to Knight, we really need a shudder smiley). It's sort of like a car wreck ... you don't want to look but you can't look away.

Yes, well it feels pretty much like I'm in some kind of wreck myself just watching it on vid - can't imagine experiencing that live...:eek:

Looking forward to your threatened post.

I don't think you're selling the idea you fear my recrimination or retaliation very well at all.

:plain:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree
apple.gif
~ The Andrews Sisters