toldailytopic: What do you think of certain cold medicines having to be purchased at

noguru

You people are bonkers. The death penalty is a pretty contested subject even for murder and such, you think the idea of executing drug dealers is a useful or serious one? I am actually laughing aloud at the complete ridiculousness of some of you people.

I do not think Mary is actually proposing the death penalty for this. I think she is trying to make a point about what would be most effective. Trying to get some people to think outside the box of "standard" legal attempts at solving the problem.

Layla

I do not think Mary is actually proposing the death penalty for this. I think she is trying to make a point about what would be most effective. Trying to get some people to think outside the box of "standard" legal attempts at solving the problem.

And what's the point of that, exactly? It's even more useless than IDings old farts for their allergy meds.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
You people are bonkers. The death penalty is a pretty contested subject even for murder and such, you think the idea of executing drug dealers is a useful or serious one? I am actually laughing aloud at the complete ridiculousness of some of you people.
When you're done laughing, try actually considering it objectively and rationally.
OMG DRUGS ARE BAD!?!?! DON'T TRY AND STOP THE DEALERS IF IT MAKES ME WAIT IN LINE THO. JUST KILL THEM INSTEAD PLZ.

Insanity.
I'm offering a swift, just and public execution as a method to "STOP THE DEALERS", as you say. I'm sure you didn't miss that point. This is you not considering this objectively or rationally.
No, I actually am. We're talking about manufacturing and distributing some pretty horrific poisons for profit. That's absolutely death penalty worthy.

This isn't some harebrained idea. We're talking about selling an addictive, seductive poison to people in order to profit off their slow descent into utter destruction and death from its use. There aren't too many things more horrible than that. If you agree with the death penalty for anything, then this shouldn't strike you as anything other than reasonable.

Do any of you agree with the death penalty for anything? If so, feel free to compare that thing to meth addiction and let's see if they even come close to one another in evil and horror. At the very least I think you'll have to admit you're not being objective about this at all.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Begin an ad campaign that shows what Meth does to people, like the ones we used to have. Show it in schools. The premature, rapid aging, loss of teeth etc. It's not something anyone would want for themselves.

Meth01.jpg
And you offer this as effective while denying arresting, convicting and publicly executing meth suppliers as effective. :plain:

So, if showing people pictures of what happens when you use meth works...how does showing people pictures of what happens when you cook/sell meth not work? You know, pictures of meth cookers/sellers being executed. That "public" thing I mentioned.

Please, by all means explain.
If there's no demand people won't cook the stuff. But it's unlikely that you'll ever get rid of it completely, like pretty much any other drug.
True. There will be those that cook it for themselves, for example.
But a scientifically based and tested campaign against drug use can help.
We have one of those?
It's a public health problem and needs to be addressed as such.
What does that have to do with enforcing the law against making and distributing the drug this public health problem relies on?

Limiting access to Meth ingredients, while imperfect, is a helpful strategy.
Publicly executing meth cookers and sellers all the more so.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Kill, death, maim, torture, punish, slaughter, judge, condemn,

Are you sure you know Jesus ?

Do you?

You're entirely too quick to judge that anyone willing to violently defend the life of another must be a sadistic butcher of some sort.

Edit: You know, I'm sorry TCM but I'm sick and damned tired of people like you telling me and others like me that we're all sadists. I've experienced violence and there's nothing pretty, fun or thrilling about it. But I'm willing to suffer it to defend others because I love them and that's the loving thing to do. So do me a favor and give it a second thought the next time you decide to paint anyone who supports war, the death penalty or any other form of violence in the defense of others as sadistic maniacs, if you please.

Edit again: Yeah, I shoulda had that third cup of coffee this morning after all, looks like. :think:

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kill, death, maim, torture, punish, slaughter, judge, condemn,

Are you sure you know Jesus ?

On the flip side of this, just what do you suppose the intention of the drug dealers are who sell this poison?

How are they any different than a bank robber who goes into a bank to make a quick buck and ends up shooting a person ... or ten? Are *their* victims any less dead?

Drug dealers are some of the lowest life forms on the planet ... would it be less acceptable if they were selling guns illegally and someone died by one of *those* sales? Not IMO.

Layla

I'm offering a swift, just and public execution as a method to "STOP THE DEALERS", as you say. I'm sure you didn't miss that point. This is you not considering this objectively or rationally.

Only you're not offering it. Because you don't have the power to do so. You're just daydreaming about it. Which is fine, if it makes you happy, but completely pointless none the less.

Granite

Hall of Fame
On the flip side of this, just what do you suppose the intention of the drug dealers are who sell this poison?

How are they any different than a bank robber who goes into a bank to make a quick buck and ends up shooting a person ... or ten? Are *their* victims any less dead?

Drug dealers are some of the lowest life forms on the planet ... would it be less acceptable if they were selling guns illegally and someone died by one of *those* sales? Not IMO.

All good reasons for legalization and ending this bogus, corrupt, so-called "War on Drugs."

LKmommy

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 23rd, 2012 12:26 PM

toldailytopic: What do you think of certain cold medicines having to be purchased at the pharmacy rather than over the counter due growing drug problems?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Adams County Colorado study done by the presiding Family Court Judge 2002. Of the 100 "meth" families/parents that had their children removed by DSS.....only THREE actually completed rehab and stayed clean enough to get their children back.

Meth is an evil evil beast. Franklin County, Missouri (2010) biggest meth city (production and usage of the population) is 30 miles from here.....it is SCARY to see the "tweekers" walking around. Law Enforcement there has estimated that 60% of all arrests are addicts who are either high on it or possessing it upon arrest.

It is SAD that it has to be done this way (cold medicines at Pharmacy and not on shelves) but it is NECESSARY at this point.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Only you're not offering it. Because you don't have the power to do so. You're just daydreaming about it. Which is fine, if it makes you happy, but completely pointless none the less.
Do you apply this same line of reasoning to considering every other proposed solution to a problem? Because, you know, proposing a solution kinda implies that solution isn't already in place. Else you wouldn't be proposing that it be put in place.

Layla, this is an odd argument to level against something you already admitted would be effective. I'm sure you could think of lots of other reasons not to make meth production/distribution a capital crime if you didn't think it would have a significant impact. So why exactly are you arguing against it then? This strikes me as grasping for straws or something. :idunno:

Are these people not at least partly responsible for the death and horror meth addicts suffer? Is death so unjust a punishment for what these people do?

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight;
I'm confused here. (it happens).
You don't want your liberty to buy cold medicine hindered.
BUT
If the next guy in line wants to exercise his liberty to take his cold medicine home and mix it with some other stuff and then take it you want him executed?
???
You've used that word "liberty" in a couple of these daily topics lately.
What does that word mean to you?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight;
I'm confused here. (it happens).
You don't want your liberty to buy cold medicine hindered.
BUT
If the next guy in line wants to exercise his liberty to take his cold medicine home and mix it with some other stuff and then take it you want him executed?
???
You've used that word "liberty" in a couple of these daily topics lately.
What does that word mean to you?
We should enjoy the liberty to pursue lawful and moral activity.

Simple enough eh?

Think of it like this... I should have the liberty to own a gun for self defense or any other lawful reason (maybe I am a collector).

I should NOT have the liberty to use a gun to do something immoral or unlawful. (I throw in the morality card because men seem to have the desire to create laws that are stupid. For instance in some places it's unlawful to have a gun to protect yourself yet I find that to be a stupid law)

Liberty and freedom have logical boundaries. It should be common sense. Yet I don't even think any of this applies to the topic. To be honest I wouldn't really have a problem being inconvenienced while buying Sudafed if I thought for one minute it was helping the METH problem.

fool

Hall of Fame
We should enjoy the liberty to pursue lawful and moral activity.

Simple enough eh?
More like a rusty bear trap.
Lawful is a matter of what a paper says and that changes all the time.
And moral? According to who?

Think of it like this... I should have the liberty to own a gun for self defense or any other lawful reason (maybe I am a collector).

I should NOT have the liberty to use a gun to do something immoral or unlawful. (I throw in the morality card because men seem to have the desire to create laws that are stupid. For instance in some places it's unlawful to have a gun to protect yourself yet I find that to be a stupid law)
A gun and Sudafed are different things.
What's immoral and unlawful about Sudafed?

Liberty and freedom have logical boundaries.
How is a guy smoking Meth on his front porch crossing any boundaries?

It should be common sense.
Right, he's minding his own bussiness and doing nothing wrong.

Yet I don't even think any of this applies to the topic.
It's an important cross topical anchor point. Think gun control. (you brought it up).
To be honest I wouldn't really have a problem being inconvenienced while buying Sudafed if I thought for one minute it was helping the METH problem.
Meth is still a legit drug prescribed for ADHD and obesity. Should a person who has a prescription be executed for giving a pill to someone else?

Should we go to Sudaland and burn the Sudafed fields with napalm?
Like we did the Coca and the Poppies?
Two plants that were just being plants....

My point is this.
I seem to see the right wing reacting to drugs the same way I see the left reacting to guns.
Or, put another way.

How can someone that would argue FOR my right to buy 6000 rounds of ammunition argue AGAINST my right to buy 6000 Sudafeds?

(and what if they're hollow points?)
(the ammunition not the pills)

This Charming Manc

Mary it was not aimed at you it was aimed at the guy who has said that someone should be shot 67 time and kept alive a execution, and because he was asked to provide some proof of id for cough medicines that all users and dealers of some drugs should be given the death sentence within 24 hours.

I get the difference between people who are bloodthirsty and people who genuinely believe in the death sentence is a good thing. Knight is coming across as the former right now.

Mindless Bureaucracy gets on my wick too, but the answers isn't to kill more people.

Do you?

You're entirely too quick to judge that anyone willing to violently defend the life of another must be a sadistic butcher of some sort.

Edit: You know, I'm sorry TCM but I'm sick and damned tired of people like you telling me and others like me that we're all sadists. I've experienced violence and there's nothing pretty, fun or thrilling about it. But I'm willing to suffer it to defend others because I love them and that's the loving thing to do. So do me a favor and give it a second thought the next time you decide to paint anyone who supports war, the death penalty or any other form of violence in the defense of others as sadistic maniacs, if you please.

Edit again: Yeah, I shoulda had that third cup of coffee this morning after all, looks like. :think:

This Charming Manc

I have no issue with that verse for two reasons;

I balance it with the rest of the new testament which is much stronger grace, love, gentleness, good news, kindness , generosity, goodness.

Things I never hear you talk about.

It puts judgement in the hands of God who I trust, not man that I don't. Show me where Jesus says its our responsibility to kill main, injure or hurt in act venegence or retribution?

If he wants to keep that right for him self, I trust him

Are you sure you do??? Luke 19:27