LOST - discussion about the TV series LOST. ** SPOILER ALERT **

InHope

Just wondering if anyone's considered Jacob's name being a clue? -especially in regard to whether or not he's good or bad

According to my Google search, Jacob is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is either:

1. he who supplants
(note: supplant generally means "to usurp the place of, especially through intrigue or underhanded tactics")
***definitely supports the theory that Jacob is actually the bad guy

2. "to track or follow"
***Doesn't clearly indicate either option- possibly a vague reference to Jacob's keeping tabs on people?

Of course, there's also the obvious Biblical meaning, leaving the Jacob/Esau thing open.

The Graphite

I'm watching this week's episode. The statue is of an Egyptian god who represents rebirth. Jacob was kicked into the fire and "burned up." His ashes... are the ashes everyone is using to block the smoke monster. Now, we apparently see a young Jacob on the island.

By far the best theory I have seen so far is that Jacob and his adversary are going through numerous iterations of this time loop, and Jacob is trying to get things right, to put an end to this loop. The adversary has no faith left in humanity, and says that it always ends the same. Jacob said, no... it only ends once.

When he gets the loop right. Jacob keeps manipulating events leading up to the island in order to orchestrate a break in this loop.

This is certainly not mutually exclusive to Knight's theory about the devil being imprisoned here, however.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Just wondering if anyone's considered Jacob's name being a clue? -especially in regard to whether or not he's good or bad

According to my Google search, Jacob is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is either:

1. he who supplants
(note: supplant generally means "to usurp the place of, especially through intrigue or underhanded tactics")
***definitely supports the theory that Jacob is actually the bad guy

2. "to track or follow"
***Doesn't clearly indicate either option- possibly a vague reference to Jacob's keeping tabs on people?

Of course, there's also the obvious Biblical meaning, leaving the Jacob/Esau thing open.
Yes, that has been discussed at length.

Many people refer to the MIB/Smoke Monster as Esau.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey Graphite, if you have a Twitter account you should ask the guys at DarkUFO if they got your post. Their Twitter handle is... you guessed it... DarkUFO or in "Twitter speak" it's @DarkUFO.

Last edited:

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
His ashes... are the ashes everyone is using to block the smoke monster.

Ooooooo....I never thought about that!

What is the significance of the cabin and why were there ashes around it? Why when the ash ring was broken, did the people who called themselves the "good guys" burn the cabin down?

The Graphite

Ooooooo....I never thought about that!

What is the significance of the cabin and why were there ashes around it? Why when the ash ring was broken, did the people who called themselves the "good guys" burn the cabin down?

The cabin is the home of Jacob. The ring of ash was to protect it from Smokey, the man in black. Later, the ring was found broken. It was after this that Smokey was able to infiltrate the cabin and appear in there in the form of Christian, and possibly Claire, although that may have actually been Claire, I'm not sure. But Smokey was in there as Christian because the circle had been broken by then.

Why they burned down the cabin, I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else can clarify.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
The cabin is the home of Jacob. The ring of ash was to protect it from Smokey, the man in black. Later, the ring was found broken. It was after this that Smokey was able to infiltrate the cabin and appear in there in the form of Christian, and possibly Claire, although that may have actually been Claire, I'm not sure. But Smokey was in there as Christian because the circle had been broken by then.

Why they burned down the cabin, I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else can clarify.

I thought about the cabin being the home of Jacob...but then what does mean the place under the statue is? His "man-cave" perhaps? I don't know.

With the ring of ash being broken...does that mean it was broken from the inside out or the outside in? If the smoke monster couldn't kill Jacob, why then did he need to be protected?

Oh the questions....

The Graphite

Hey Graphite, if you have a Twitter account you should ask the guys at DarkUFO if they got your post. Their Twitter handle is... you guessed it... DarkUFO or in "Twitter speak" it's @DarkUFO.
Ugh. I have a Twitter account, but I never use it.

I'm there, I'm logged in, and I'm at DarkUFO's twitter page.

I can't find any place to give him a message. Am I blind? I look all over the page, but I can find nothing. I see where I can favorite him, block him, report him, view all the lists he's on... basically everything except the one thing I want to do, which is message him. LOL :doh:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ugh. I have a Twitter account, but I never use it.

I'm there, I'm logged in, and I'm at DarkUFO's twitter page.

I can't find any place to give him a message. Am I blind? I look all over the page, but I can find nothing. I see where I can favorite him, block him, report him, view all the lists he's on... basically everything except the one thing I want to do, which is message him. LOL :doh:
All you need to do is.... follow the DarkUFO Twitter account. Then type a message on your own Twitter page that starts with @DarkUFO

Such as.....

"@DarkUFO I was wondering if you received my..... "

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I thought about the cabin being the home of Jacob...but then what does mean the place under the statue is? His "man-cave" perhaps? I don't know.

With the ring of ash being broken...does that mean it was broken from the inside out or the outside in? If the smoke monster couldn't kill Jacob, why then did he need to be protected?

Oh the questions....
One theory is that the cabin was a place to keep the monster captive but at some point in the past the ring of ash was broken and it escaped. From that point on it was free to come and go. I guess you could say the cabin served as the monster's hideout.

I'm not sure what to think of that idea. :dizzy:

Last edited:

The Graphite

Sweet! I hope they publish it, I can't wait to read it. I will give it the maximum rating!

As Pastor Bob would say... I'll give you 10 minutes to stop that. :D

I certainly think the kings theory is still incomplete and weak in places, but there certainly seems to be something there. We'll see.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I feel like such a dork. It was pointed out to me (by chickenman) that somebody had already posted a theory about LOST being similar to the Howling Man Twilight Zone episode. :doh:

The other post beat me by about a week or so. It's amazing that somebody else would have thought of such a similar comparison.

My only consolation is that my oldest son and I had discussed the theory for about a month so I know in my heart it was an original idea. I guess it proves that there are some real similarities that others also noticed.

Still... it's kinda embarrassing.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
The cabin is the home of Jacob.
I'm inclined to think it was Jacob's prison cell. I think Jacob and Black Shirt Man are similar beings, and wouldn't be surprised to learn that Jacob's Smoke Manifestation was a white pillar instead of black. Remember that Black Shirt Man cannot kill Jacob without a loophole. So it doesn't make sense to keep the Black Smoke Monster out. But if they are similar beings, sharing their aversion to the ash, then it could be that Black Shirt Man used the ash to keep Jacob in the cabin.

Recall when Ilana and Bram (the so-called "Good Guys") came to the cabin and saw the broken ash ring. I think they came to free Jacob, but discovered he had already been freed, at which point they immediately headed off to the ruins of the statue, knowing they'd find Jacob there.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
I think that's certainly a possibility.

Aaron could be the REAL (and chosen) candidate to take over for Jacob. Aaron returns to the island from the future to remind the smoke monster of the rules.
The bloody blond boy could be Aaron Shephard from the future.

Back in Episode 6 of Season 3, one of the Others says about Jack Shephard: "He's not even on Jacob's list." But in "The Substitute," we see the name "Shephard" written on Jacob's wall. Perhaps it does not refer to Jack Shephard, but to another.

Recall that Claire is Jack's sister, and therefore, technically speaking, she is a "Shephard." Since Claire is unmarried, technically speaking, her son Aaron is a Shephard as well.

This would fit the theory that the bloody blond boy is Aaron.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm inclined to think it was Jacob's prison cell. I think Jacob and Black Shirt Man are similar beings, and wouldn't be surprised to learn that Jacob's Smoke Manifestation was a white pillar instead of black. Remember that Black Shirt Man cannot kill Jacob without a loophole. So it doesn't make sense to keep the Black Smoke Monster out. But if they are similar beings, sharing their aversion to the ash, then it could be that Black Shirt Man used the ash to keep Jacob in the cabin.

Recall when Ilana and Bram (the so-called "Good Guys") came to the cabin and saw the broken ash ring. I think they came to free Jacob, but discovered he had already been freed, at which point they immediately headed off to the ruins of the statue, knowing they'd find Jacob there.
I love that theory. :up:

Our LOST "group" had discussed the idea that there might be two smoke monsters, one good and one bad. I can imagine the producers envisioning them as the "ying and yang" of the island or possibly the "ying and yang" of the universe.

I wonder if Locke inadvertently broke the ash ring when he went to visit Jacob with Ben for the first time. :think:

GuySmiley

That's what I thought at first, but he used third person when talking about the MIB killing Jacob and the "rules".

Knight, I like the Bernard/Rose theory.

Rose's last name before she married Bernard was "Henderson", which means "son of henry". "Henry" means "home ruler".

"Nadler", unfortunately, means "needle maker". How boring.
I originally thought the kid was talking about killing Jacob also, but he only said 'him.' He could have meant Sawyer. It would make sense that there is a rule against the MIB killing the candidates to replace Jacob.