User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Seeing possibilities?

  1. #1
    Over 1000 post club Jamie Gigliotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 171 Times in 120 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    138457

    Seeing possibilities?

    If the future has not happened yet, (as it is perceived by us to not have happened yet); and God is not limited by anything other than Himself; and if we all have a free will, choices to make; would anything inhibit God from seeing every possible choice that could unfold and the infinite possible ramifications that could make up the future? All the while His Spirit works to move earthly hearts into His will as it is in Heaven.

    In effect God seeing so much more and knowing so much more than one finite future.

  2. #2
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,200 Times in 10,085 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Gigliotti View Post
    If the future has not happened yet, (as it is perceived by us to not have happened yet); and God is not limited by anything other than Himself; and if we all have a free will, choices to make; would anything inhibit God from seeing every possible choice that could unfold and the infinite possible ramifications that could make up the future? All the while His Spirit works to move earthly hearts into His will as it is in Heaven.

    In effect God seeing so much more and knowing so much more than one finite future.
    Only His self interest in not being bored out of His mind.


  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    LoneStar (October 5th, 2016),Tambora (September 30th, 2016)

  4. #3
    Over 1000 post club Jamie Gigliotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 171 Times in 120 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    138457
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Only His self interest in not being bored out of His mind.
    That is really funny!

    On a serious note I do think our freedom does possibly remove some of the boredom of a completely determined existence, an awfully lonely existence.

  5. #4
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,200 Times in 10,085 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Gigliotti View Post
    That is really funny!

    On a serious note I do think our freedom does possibly remove some of the boredom of a completely determined existence, an awfully lonely existence.
    Certainly, but thinking about it would be blas.


  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    LoneStar (October 5th, 2016),Tambora (September 30th, 2016)

  7. #5
    Over 1000 post club Jamie Gigliotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 171 Times in 120 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    138457
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Certainly, but thinking about it would be blas.
    How would it be different than the loving concern earthly parents express as we attempt to guide our children onto better paths?

  8. #6
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,200 Times in 10,085 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Gigliotti View Post
    How would it be different than the loving concern earthly parents express as we attempt to guide our children onto better paths?
    Because that's a lot to consider [understatement of eternity]. Why consider every single possibility when what actually matters is what is?
    Last edited by Lighthouse; November 19th, 2016 at 12:41 AM.


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    LoneStar (October 5th, 2016)

  10. #7
    Over 1000 post club Jamie Gigliotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 171 Times in 120 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    138457
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Because that's a lot to consider [understatement of eternity]. Why consider every single possibility when what actual matters is what is?
    The point being that if there is free will and that God has demonstrated His desire to align our will with His, and also God has power see beyond the present, the erratic nature of our will open ups the possibility that this is true.

    A determinist's view seems to be defeated with God responding to prayer and relenting in the midst of choices such as the Ninevites.
    Open theist's then wrestle with God having some knowledge of the future (Peter's denial), which negate's no knowledge of the future.

    If our relation to Him is interactive, free, fluid and yet He has some knowledge of where we are going, I think logically 'seeing possibilties' in a mind that can not be fathomed could possibly be true.

    But honestly I do think this is territory that here we may only be able to "know in part".

  11. #8
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,200 Times in 10,085 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Gigliotti View Post
    The point being that if there is free will and that God has demonstrated His desire to align our will with His, and also God has power see beyond the present, the erratic nature of our will open ups the possibility that this is true.

    A determinist's view seems to be defeated with God responding to prayer and relenting in the midst of choices such as the Ninevites.
    Open theist's then wrestle with God having some knowledge of the future (Peter's denial), which negate's no knowledge of the future.

    If our relation to Him is interactive, free, fluid and yet He has some knowledge of where we are going, I think logically 'seeing possibilties' in a mind that can not be fathomed could possibly be true.

    But honestly I do think this is territory that here we may only be able to "know in part".
    I can't say that I disagree here, but I do feel the need to point out that as an open theist myself I do not believe, and have never heard an open theist say, that God has absolutely no knowledge of the future.


  12. #9
    LIFETIME MEMBER Bright Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calfornia
    Posts
    7,570
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,651 Posts

    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1834345
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I can't say that I disagree here, but I do feel the need to point out that as an open theist myself I do not believe, and have never heard an open theist say, that God has absolutely no knowledge of the future.
    Is God's knowledge of the future limited and if so in what way?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

    Jim Elliot

  13. #10
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,200 Times in 10,085 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    Is God's knowledge of the future limited and if so in what way?
    1. Yes.
    2. However He wants it to be.
    3. In that the future does not exist to be known.


    He can know His plans, and whether they are certain or contingent.

    Jesus willfully gave up His knowledge of the plans of certain events, citing that the Father was the only One Who knew the time of His return, for instance.


  14. #11
    LIFETIME MEMBER Bright Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calfornia
    Posts
    7,570
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,651 Posts

    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1834345
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    1. Yes.
    2. However He wants it to be.
    3. In that the future does not exist to be known.


    He can know His plans, and whether they are certain or contingent.

    Jesus willfully gave up His knowledge of the plans of certain events, citing that the Father was the only One Who knew the time of His return, for instance.
    So, are you saying that His knowledge is limited? If so doesn't that nullify His omniscience?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

    Jim Elliot

  15. #12
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,200 Times in 10,085 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Raven View Post
    So, are you saying that His knowledge is limited?
    No. The object of knowledge is limited.

    If my hand is empty and someone asks what color the ball in my hand is I would not be wrong if I did not answer that question with the name of a color. And one would not say that my knowledge was limited because I did not answer thusly.

    If so doesn't that nullify His omniscience?
    Is His omniscience nullified because He cannot tell you the population of Wonderland?


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us