User Tag List

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 834

Thread: Abortion///cont.

  1. #16
    Gold level Subscriber kmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A farm
    Posts
    9,846
    Thanks
    1,033
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,005 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1029539
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    I don't know that there's an objective answer. If right isn't ours to endow or create, only an obligation to protect, then I argue that we simply cannot advocate a law that has at its foundation as distinct a possibility in serving a violation of right as actual right.

    What I'm suggesting isn't that we must assume the harm, but only acknowledge the present potential and that potential should stay our hand, lest we do that which we are not entitled to accomplish.
    And if right is ours to create?

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmoney For Your Post:

    patrick jane (April 7th, 2016),theophilus (April 6th, 2016)

  3. #17
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    17,701
    Thanks
    2,305
    Thanked 5,074 Times in 2,992 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147782
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    And if right is ours to create?
    Then right is nothing more or less than whatever power dictates.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    patrick jane (April 7th, 2016),theophilus (April 6th, 2016)

  5. #18
    Black Rifles Matter Nick M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,553
    Thanks
    615
    Thanked 7,906 Times in 5,293 Posts

    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    2147784
    Quote Originally Posted by quip View Post
    On closer examination your position demands it. A newly combined egg and sperm are being lobbied as falling under the umbrella of "right-to-life". By comparison you employed your son (among others) as obvious demonstration to such right and asserting that the sperm/egg co-mixture assumes (as per human life in general) the same right your son enjoys.
    Do you think a 2 year old toddler and a 27 year old adult have the same rights and responsibilities?

    Is it ok for the parents to kill the 2 year old? Yes or no.

    Is the 2 year old responsible for preparing his own meals? Yes or no.

    2 simple questions and I will engage you if you answer honestly. You don't have to expound yet, we will get to it.
    Jesus saves completely. http://www.climatedepot.com/ http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

    Titus 1

    For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped

    Ephesians 5

    11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick M For Your Post:

    patrick jane (April 7th, 2016),theophilus (April 6th, 2016),Town Heretic (April 6th, 2016)

  7. #19
    Gold level Subscriber kmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A farm
    Posts
    9,846
    Thanks
    1,033
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,005 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1029539
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    Then right is nothing more or less than whatever power dictates.
    You say your position doesn't assume harm, but would you say it assumes that there is harm at some point along the line?

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to kmoney For Your Post:

    theophilus (April 6th, 2016)

  9. #20
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    17,701
    Thanks
    2,305
    Thanked 5,074 Times in 2,992 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147782
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    You say your position doesn't assume harm, but would you say it assumes that there is harm at some point along the line?
    It can't assert or assume anything beyond the potential for it in each moment... That potential for harm is not increased or decreased as an operation of logic by moving further along the line of chronological being.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Town Heretic For Your Post:

    patrick jane (April 7th, 2016),theophilus (April 6th, 2016)

  11. #21
    Over 4000 post club quip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4,943
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 783 Times in 622 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    595159
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Do you think a 2 year old toddler and a 27 year old adult have the same rights and responsibilities?

    Is it ok for the parents to kill the 2 year old? Yes or no.

    Is the 2 year old responsible for preparing his own meals? Yes or no.
    yes/no

    no

    no
    _/\_

    Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

  12. #22
    Gold level Subscriber kmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A farm
    Posts
    9,846
    Thanks
    1,033
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,005 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1029539
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Heretic View Post
    It can't assert or assume anything beyond the potential for it in each moment... That potential for harm is not increased or decreased as an operation of logic by moving further along the line of chronological being.
    I didn't mean the potential increasing or decreasing. I was attempting to ask if your assumption includes the idea that right is not something we create.

  13. #23
    Gold level Subscriber kmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    A farm
    Posts
    9,846
    Thanks
    1,033
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,005 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    1029539
    Town, another question. Do you think there is another scenario in which an assumption of the potential is there and so we must act in a certain way?

  14. #24
    Out of Order Town Heretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Within a whisper of rivers...
    Posts
    17,701
    Thanks
    2,305
    Thanked 5,074 Times in 2,992 Posts

    Blog Entries
    15
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147782
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    I didn't mean the potential increasing or decreasing. I was attempting to ask if your assumption includes the idea that right is not something we create.
    It does. It's reasoning from the foundation of our compact. Early on in the conversation I noted our mission statement and the founding contention that we are endowed with right by nature's God, that is, that right is inherent and the state then isn't the originator, only the guardian of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    Town, another question. Do you think there is another scenario in which an assumption of the potential is there and so we must act in a certain way?
    All sorts of potential risks logically impede us in the exercise of right, which is why you don't have the freedom to shoot your rifle into the air every time your favorite team scores a touchdown...okay, you'll have to take my word for it, but in most parts of the country that would be inherently dangerous and risk the lives of others.
    You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

    Pro-Life







  15. #25
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    18,050
    Thanks
    1,190
    Thanked 4,257 Times in 3,207 Posts

    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2147687
    quip?


    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    let's start with basics

    would you agree with the following statement?


    at conception, a new, genetically unique human life is created

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to ok doser For Your Post:

    glassjester (May 11th, 2017)

  17. #26
    Over 4000 post club quip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4,943
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 783 Times in 622 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    595159
    Quote Originally Posted by ok doser View Post
    quip?
    Somebody is resurrecting threads again!
    _/\_

    Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

  18. #27
    Over 4000 post club glassjester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,235
    Thanks
    441
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 839 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    221046
    Quote Originally Posted by quip View Post
    The problem is that this is a personal view, not one that lends itself to objective discourse.
    Hello, Quip!

    It seems that conception is only objective point at which one's right to life can begin. No other point in one's life can be objectively referred to as "the beginning."
    Your "catholic" is showing. - Sozo

  19. #28
    Over 4000 post club quip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4,943
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 783 Times in 622 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    595159
    Quote Originally Posted by glassjester View Post
    Hello, Quip!

    It seems that conception is only objective point at which one's right to life can begin. No other point in one's life can be objectively referred to as "the beginning."
    "The beginning" is rather vague...beyond mere biology, that is.
    _/\_

    Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

  20. #29
    Over 4000 post club glassjester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,235
    Thanks
    441
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 839 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    221046
    Quote Originally Posted by quip View Post
    "The beginning" is rather vague...beyond mere biology, that is.
    The beginning of that particular human being's life.
    Your "catholic" is showing. - Sozo

  21. #30
    Over 4000 post club quip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4,943
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 783 Times in 622 Posts

    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    595159
    Quote Originally Posted by glassjester View Post
    The beginning of that particular human being's life.
    Correct, biologically speaking. Why should this be the benchmark for rights?
    _/\_

    Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us